PDA

View Full Version : When you guys throwing on your rims?

Johnny@CustomAuto
03-02-2005, 11:48 AM
With this weather, I am so tempted. Even though I know it's gonna snow again sooner or later. But I am seriously thinking about putting them on this week.

rmk
03-02-2005, 11:49 AM
i need some new tires, but i'll prob. get them on mid april after it rains once or twice and they've sweeped the streets. if the rims fairly expensive, i'd hold on a bit, too much gravel, rocks and shit around.

my 0.02 cents

Def_3
03-02-2005, 11:51 AM
mid-april, closer to road cleaning time..........

stupid Calgary winters...:cry:

Dirty_SOHC
03-02-2005, 11:53 AM
I have mine on already. I really dont care about chips though:)

EK 2.0
03-02-2005, 11:58 AM
I need to find a good set for the new project...

BokCh0y
I know I should wait till end of April - beginning of May but I think I'm just gonna do it tonight. At the very worst I will have to change them back once the snow hits again. But looking at Calgary's long range forecast, looks to be good for at least a week. But then again you never know. But yeah today the rims go on.....temporarily though :(

lam-boy
Originally posted by EK 2.0
I need to find a good set for the new project...

arif buy my rims! :D

oneshot
Well, the best thing to do is throw them on if you're not too concerned about nics...but definitely watch the 5 day forecast over the next few weeks so you can throw the winter rims back on :). I really wanna do it too!

1badPT
03-02-2005, 12:19 PM
I'm itching to put mine on, but I know as soon as I do, we'll have blizzard conditions again. I hate having this kind of responsibility :tongue:

Superesc
03-02-2005, 12:27 PM
I never took mine off :D

Mckenzie
03-02-2005, 12:28 PM
I'm itchin' too....but we know better than to put the expensive rims on now right everyone? (hey its Calgary...):dunno: :thumbsup:

finboy
03-02-2005, 12:46 PM
wait for the last big dump of snow in april

stick-boy
03-02-2005, 12:55 PM
it sure feels like time to put the rims on, but in this city you might only have them on for the week then have to change them back cause winters here again. im waiting till at least may to do it.

oneshot
03-02-2005, 12:57 PM
April...That feels like a decade away! It just turned March...and it's officially spring on March 20th. Snow shmow...lets all get it done!! :)

xDiMSuMx
03-02-2005, 01:27 PM
put mine on a month ago

BumpinTalon
03-02-2005, 02:01 PM
the streets in Cochrane are getting swept this week... :)

buh_buh
03-02-2005, 02:14 PM
don't do it people!! As soon as someone does, its gonna jinx the good weather!!! Keep your winter wheels on!!

EK 2.0
03-02-2005, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by buh_buh
don't do it people!! As soon as someone does, its gonna jinx the good weather!!! Keep your winter wheels on!!

but it's chewing up the Blizzaks...

awd
03-02-2005, 02:22 PM
I want to swap my tires ASAP but I know if I do it will snow the next day.

buh_buh
03-02-2005, 02:22 PM
screw the blizzaks! I don't want it to hit -40 in April:cry:

Superesc
03-02-2005, 02:26 PM
Man we all know this is too good to be true!! It will snow eventually before summer hit!!

EK 2.0
03-02-2005, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by buh_buh
screw the blizzaks! I don't want it to hit -40 in April:cry:

isn't it always like that in DEADmonton anyway??

oneshot
03-02-2005, 02:36 PM
So true about what EK 2.0 states "but it's chewing up the Blizzaks..." This weather is chewing up the winter tires! I'm doing it today after work...come on ppl lets get it done! Just stay on top of the weather forecast.

benyl
03-02-2005, 02:39 PM
Mine have been on for a week already.

I had them on the week before. The day I put them on, it snowed again that night... haha

Altezza
03-02-2005, 04:25 PM
I say we get two more snowstorms before May. I probably won't put the wheels on until the roads are swept in May.

vietdood
03-02-2005, 08:31 PM
long term forecast says it'll rain nextweek on wednesday, but we're getting some pretty fine weather right now

frostyda9
03-02-2005, 09:54 PM
Going on this weekend :thumbsup:
Only takes 15 minutes to swap anyway....worst case switch back to the winters

Weapon_R
03-02-2005, 10:04 PM
Mine have been on for a week also.

Worst case scenario is that we get another snowfall for a few days. I laugh at those people who wait til april because of the "one big snowfall" thats coming :rofl:

Big deal

Foreign1
03-02-2005, 10:36 PM
i put mine on yesterday... and slammed the car:) oh man does it look hot!

TypeSly
03-02-2005, 10:39 PM
ya but what's the point? u can't get any performance out of your summers right now, anyways.

BokCh0y
03-02-2005, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by BokCh0y
I know I should wait till end of April - beginning of May but I think I'm just gonna do it tonight. At the very worst I will have to change them back once the snow hits again. But looking at Calgary's long range forecast, looks to be good for at least a week. But then again you never know. But yeah today the rims go on.....temporarily though :(

Like I said earlier today.......now they are on and fuk does it look HOT. I know I will be taking them off in a couple weeks or so but damn, I just gotta enjoy it for now :D

nismodrifter
Originally posted by TypeSly
ya but what's the point? u can't get any performance out of your summers right now, anyways.

does that really matter??? Being :bigpimp: is what counts

BokCh0y
Originally posted by Weapon_R

Worst case scenario is that we get another snowfall for a few days. I laugh at those people who wait til april because of the "one big snowfall" thats coming :rofl:

Big deal

well put :thumbsup:

NickGT
03-02-2005, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter

does that really matter??? Being :bigpimp: is what counts

You got your new wheels on man?

frostyda9
03-02-2005, 10:44 PM

winter wheels look like ass, that is the point

edit: nismo beat me to it, three people replied in the time it took me to type that :rofl:

TypeSly
03-02-2005, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by frostyda9

winter wheels look like ass, that is the point

true but cars look like ass most of the time during these winter/early spring months :dunno:

nismodrifter
03-02-2005, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by NickGT

You got your new wheels on man?

They're sittin 600kms away from me :( Got tires and had them mounted when I was in town for reading break 2 weeks ago and they are lookin mad :bigpimp:
Have to wait until I come back after the school year is done (last week of April) until they actually go on. Will install the suspension like the day after I come back haha...not going to waste any time.

They are just waiting and ready to go :D

NickGT
03-02-2005, 11:00 PM

They're sittin 600kms away from me :( Got tires and had them mounted when I was in town for reading break 2 weeks ago and they are lookin mad :bigpimp:
Have to wait until I come back after the school year is done (last week of April) until they actually go on. Will install the suspension like the day after I come back haha...not going to waste any time.

They are just waiting and ready to go :D

Nice man, nice :bigpimp:

88CRX
03-02-2005, 11:06 PM
almost put mine on tonight...... but its suppse to snow next next weekend :banghead: :banghead: fuck im lazy :D

frostyda9
03-02-2005, 11:13 PM

true but cars look like ass most of the time during these winter/early spring months :dunno:

they can, but you just have to perfect your puddle avoidance technique and keep it clean :D

And I still prefer 17's to 14's, no matter how dirty they are :tongue:

TurboMedic
03-02-2005, 11:13 PM
I'm taking mine back off in a couple weeks again before I fly to europe, but just drive careful right now and its all good......although not too much traction.....

nismodrifter
03-02-2005, 11:15 PM
^haven't seen any pics of your car with those new wheels, post some!

ZorroAMG
03-02-2005, 11:33 PM

Big deal

Nah man, I wait til the streets get swept. Even then I still get scratches and the odd small chip on the Carlssons, I couldn't imagine what they'd look like after a Calgary March & April. You still get 6-7 months of summer wheel use if you wait til May man.

ryder_23
03-02-2005, 11:34 PM
Mine are going on friday :D

TurboMedic
03-03-2005, 01:24 AM
^haven't seen any pics of your car with those new wheels, post some!

If you're at the meet tommorrow, you'll see them! Maybe I'll take some pics tommorrow too, just washed and waxed it tonite....

kenny
03-03-2005, 01:25 AM
I predict snow very soon because I put my summers on AND I washed the shitbox. :D

t-im
03-03-2005, 01:31 AM
I think i'll wait till around mid March and then take them off...incase a shitstorm comes in a week or 2..

As much as I love this warm weather, I hate the fact that my blizzacks are being ruined :(

Speed_Dreams
03-03-2005, 02:03 PM
mine will be going on as soon as my new springs/shocks and bushings go in hopefully my shocks come in next week!!

maximus
03-03-2005, 03:03 PM
You guys need more sets of wheels!! :D

Here are my "pre-summer" wheels in the polishing stage. I finished them up couple weeks ago and put them on.

Johnny@CustomAuto
03-03-2005, 04:34 PM
just put mine on!! haha. if it snows, i'll take the 15 mins and change them.

Team_Mclaren
03-03-2005, 04:39 PM
i htink my new sets of rims are still siting in japan...:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: not to mention i dont have my car back yet... after.. like... 6 months...:rofl:

EnRich
03-03-2005, 05:40 PM
Yo do you guys take it to a shop or put em on yourself... If yourselves, anyone wanna put mine on for me in late april, and anyone know the address for ALberta Wheels Repairs?

BokCh0y
03-03-2005, 06:48 PM
alberta wheel repair is accross the street from the Varsity Chrisyler and AutoMaxx dealer just off Edmonton Trail. Around the corner from Mikes Billiards. I'm not sure of the exact address just how to get there but hopefully this will give you a general location.

88CRX
03-03-2005, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by EnRich
Yo do you guys take it to a shop or put em on yourself... If yourselves, anyone wanna put mine on for me in late april, and anyone know the address for ALberta Wheels Repairs?

take the jack out of the trunk.... jack up... remove wheel.... put on new wheel... lower jack, done.

and check the lug nuts after a quick spin or the next day, done and done :thumbsup:

its really not that hard lol

max_boost
03-03-2005, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG

Nah man, I wait til the streets get swept. Even then I still get scratches and the odd small chip on the Carlssons, I couldn't imagine what they'd look like after a Calgary March & April. You still get 6-7 months of summer wheel use if you wait til May man. Not to cut down on any of the other forum members, but if I had bling wheels like that, I would wait too.

For me, my wheels are on year round :D

Weapon_R
03-03-2005, 10:45 PM

Nah man, I wait til the streets get swept. Even then I still get scratches and the odd small chip on the Carlssons, I couldn't imagine what they'd look like after a Calgary March & April. You still get 6-7 months of summer wheel use if you wait til May man.

Your wheels aren't your average run of the mill tenzo's though :thumbsup: For those, i'd wait til June :)

Weapon_R
03-03-2005, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by maximus
You guys need more sets of wheels!! :D

Here are my "pre-summer" wheels in the polishing stage. I finished them up couple weeks ago and put them on.

What kind of wheels are those :drool:

nismodrifter
03-03-2005, 10:47 PM
wurd maximus those are HAWT!!!

ZorroAMG
03-03-2005, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Not to cut down on any of the other forum members, but if I had bling wheels like that, I would wait too.

For me, my wheels are on year round :D

Your wheels aren't your average run of the mill tenzo's though :thumbsup: For those, i'd wait til June :)

Thanks for the props:thumbsup:

Although I am DAMN tempted to put 'em on...I really want to paint my AMG's body color for the rest of this winter....

shakalaka
03-03-2005, 11:03 PM
I never took mine off. I just drove my civic around.

nismodrifter
03-03-2005, 11:05 PM
Zorro: Your AMG's are POS's and you need to get rid of them, give them to me+money for adapters, playas need to help playas out if the game is gonna keep being played

ZorroAMG
03-03-2005, 11:47 PM
Actually MonoII's would look hot on teh jetta..

maximus
03-04-2005, 12:26 AM
Weapon R: My wheels are BBS RM's. I actually have another mint set for summer. These were looking kinda bad so during reading week decided to strip them and polish them up a bit. They look better now but they still have like wheel weights on the lips and curbage.

I'm thinking of getting 2'' lips for this set. I was going to couple years ago but I hate to pay someone and wait like 3-4 months to get them made.

I've actually wanted to put Mono's on my MKII Golf (and Jetta) for years and they finally make adapters.....when I have no cash!! But Zorro, I personally like the Monoblock more then the Carlssons. I think you should match and polish the lip and use them in the summer!! :eek: :drool:

Heres pic with 2'' lips

7thgenvic
03-04-2005, 12:32 AM
GOD your all so lazy! it takes 25 mintues to swap back to winter mode if it snows! i would say doooo it!

nismodrifter
03-04-2005, 12:34 AM
Actually MonoII's would look hot on teh jetta..

yeah I think they would suit the car very nicely, seen a bunch of Golfs with them but only a couple Jettas. Damn they are hot, monoblocks are my all time favorite wheel. :drool:
http://www.vwhome.de/treffen/2004/weyhe/008/005.jpg

ZorroAMG
03-04-2005, 10:26 AM
But Zorro, I personally like the Monoblock more then the Carlssons. I think you should match and polish the lip and use them in the summer!! :eek: :drool:

To each their own I guess, but the Carlsson's are WAY more unique and totally make the car complete IMO. Plus they are 18's and the Mono's are only 17's.

Did you do all the work on your wheels? I really want to strip the clearcoat from the lips of the monos. I am not sure of the process or which product to use. Painting's the easy par :D

X_plorer
03-04-2005, 10:51 AM
I'm waiting, we always get one more big snow storm the end of March/beginning of April. If I put them on now and it snows, I won't be going anywhere fast, literally-the bridgestones are great in wet and dry weather but are about as useless as a racing slick in the snow.

Anyone know a good place to fix a rim that I bit the curb with? They are Konigs with a polished aluminum lip and silver centers. Not bent or anything, just some big scrapes and scratches. Thanks!

maximus
03-04-2005, 04:50 PM

To each their own I guess, but the Carlsson's are WAY more unique and totally make the car complete IMO. Plus they are 18's and the Mono's are only 17's.

Did you do all the work on your wheels? I really want to strip the clearcoat from the lips of the monos. I am not sure of the process or which product to use. Painting's the easy par :D

Thats true everyone has monoblocks nowadays.

I did all the work. This is the second set of RMs I've done. Pain in the ass because of the 2-piece bolts. I've done a couple of other stock sets. Its not that hard but you can really screw up your wheels if your not careful. I use some stripper I ordered out of the states but that stuff eats paint pretty much on contact. But your lips should be pretty easy. Make sure you use a strong paint stripper though because weak ones will take more applications to do and will leave streaks and stains on the alluminum from not getting all the clear off.

ZorroAMG
03-04-2005, 05:30 PM
:thumbsup: Thanks, I may pm you for details, if and when I decide to undertake the project, I appreciate the help!

R-Audi
03-04-2005, 05:53 PM
Ive had mine on since WOW, and they have been fine thus far! <crosses fingers>

ryder_23
03-04-2005, 06:34 PM
Just put mine on today...so warm today, winters were sliding everywhere on the road, decided it was time for summers.

danno
03-04-2005, 07:02 PM
just put mine on too, anyone gonna post pics of the rims???

maximus
03-04-2005, 08:11 PM
:thumbsup: Thanks, I may pm you for details, if and when I decide to undertake the project, I appreciate the help!

I'll do them for cheap :tongue:

But seriously you should do it. Your rims are one piece so should take you couple hours tops. PM if you decide to do them and I'll help anyway I can.

JordanLotoski
03-04-2005, 08:13 PM
i keep my rims on all year, just swape for winter rubbers

Weapon_R
03-04-2005, 08:22 PM
Weapon R: My wheels are BBS RM's. I actually have another mint set for summer.

You have two sets? Are they easy to come buy or somethign :D

maximus
03-04-2005, 08:33 PM

You have two sets? Are they easy to come buy or somethign :D

Actually they are hard to come by now in good shape. They came stock on the 91-92 GTi 16V's. If the VW guys knew I was using good ones like these in winter they would castrate me!!

pimpstang
03-04-2005, 11:39 PM
ima wait a bit longer just to be safe haha

GC84ever
03-05-2005, 12:07 AM
probably wait till mid may after last snow.
but i gotta buy tires first

Moe Man
03-05-2005, 07:16 PM
it seems alot of ppl are putting there rimsd on we have been selling rims like crazy....half of our show room is empty. i dont plan on putting my rims till the streets are cleen.

even thow i work at Kal Tire i can put them on in 5 min and take them off just as fast i dont think the rocks are healthy

three.eighteen.
03-05-2005, 08:26 PM
first of all we need to straighten out the bmw, then hopefully i'll have a month or 2 of bbs'age again

oddjob
03-05-2005, 08:29 PM
mine are already on :D