PDA

View Full Version : Behind the Wheel - March 2, 2005

skidmark
03-02-2005, 02:07 PM
Setting an Example

The past weekend’s high speed crash on the Lougheed Highway in Maple Ridge has us all shaking our heads in dismay. How could a young driver consider operating their vehicle at such speeds? Don’t they know that it is dangerous to drive like this?

I can already hear some people starting to say that it all depends on the circumstances, and I am going to risk your wrath by saying that the majority of drivers on the road today pay lip service to the speed limit and the traffic laws. It’s a great example to set for our young drivers, do as I say, not as I do because I am only going to follow the speed limit if it suits me to do so.

When I make my patrols, I pay attention to what is happening around me, even when I have a violator stopped. Unless the roads are bad or the headlights are flashing virtually no one is travelling under the speed limit. In fact, as I write the ticket, I see them approach over the limit, slow to the limit to pass the police vehicle and then speed up again before they leave my sight and my radar.

So, what do the young people learn from their elders? From my perspective it appears to be follow the speed limit when the police are watching, but otherwise do as you please. This is their only concern, and the safety of other road users, much less themselves, doesn’t enter the picture at all.

What do we do about this? The next time you are tempted to keep up with flow, reconsider. The others driving around you may just choose to stay at the speed limit if you set the example. Be a good example to other highway users and we may just be able to influence someone positively and contribute to traffic safety. Yes, use your Road Sense.

QuasarCav
03-02-2005, 02:18 PM
Do you really think that other will follow If I cruise at 110 on hwy.2?

I'm guessing they will think I saw something and then slow down momentarily until they assume the threat has passed. I am not condoning speeding but I think following the flow of traffic on the highway creates less problems than staying 10km/hr lower than the majority of other drivers.

TKRIS
03-02-2005, 02:23 PM
I drive between Calgary and Red Deer usually twice a week. I know the #2 like the back fo my hand. While I agree that the average speed is almost always higher than the posted speed limit, the more dangerous people on that road tend to be the idiots doing 150 (obviously) and the people doing 105-110. People are impatient, and as such, will generally resort to doing stupid sht when they're forced to go slow (ie: passing on the shoulder, following too closely). Now, I'm certainly no angel (although I've slowed it down a lot recently) but it seems to me that if traffic is moving along at 120kph, it's safer to go 115-120ish than 100kph. IMHO, someone doing 85kph on the #2 when the roads are perfectly fine should get a ticket. He's a lot more of a hazard than the guy going 2 kph faster than everyone else.

Kris

skidmark
03-02-2005, 09:49 PM
This is my all time favourite speeding video:

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety/downloads/slomotvc.mpg

Tyler883
03-02-2005, 10:25 PM
Here's some canadian stats that show that you are safer if you drive faster than the speed limit,

but not by too much, of course.

http://sense.bc.ca/research.htm

danno
03-02-2005, 11:20 PM
in the morning i always go the speed limit, cause i'm still kinda tired. it pisses people off when your going the speed limit. i don't drive a fast looking car or a very fast car at that. but i drive a car that is associated with street racing so i enjoy going the speed limit to try and set a example, and hopefully people realize were not all bad drivers.

Weapon_R
03-02-2005, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by skidmark
This is my all time favourite speeding video:

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety/downloads/slomotvc.mpg

Good message, but that dumbass should have at least attempted to swerve away from the truck :D

skidmark
03-03-2005, 12:15 PM
The trouble with this world is that we have people of many different capabilities driving vehicles on our highways, and in general, they all tend to overestimate their skill level.

You can't expect the poor drivers to speed up to the level of the good drivers as that is unsafe. The problem I face day after day is trying to convince the "good" drivers that they have to slow down in order to protect themselves.

The other problem I face is that I have had extensive experience dealing with the situations where things have gone badly wrong for drivers. After your first few bodies you tend not to have much sympathy for those who can't follow the driving rules.