PDA

View Full Version : whats a good school for management??

nickq
03-02-2005, 10:36 PM
-

Audio_Rookie
03-02-2005, 10:53 PM
University of lethbridge, I say 30% of the students there are for management. School is basically specialized for management, art, and education.

Usually fairly small class sizes, biggest class I have been in was 175 students, most are about 50 though....

perhaps im just being biased because im going to U of L, but im not going for management lol.

website is www.uleth.ca

in*10*se
03-02-2005, 10:58 PM
rotman school of business - toronto
UBC - van
haskayne school of business - calgary (uofc)
bissett school of business- calgary (mount royal)
western ontario - i dunno the name

lots of schools, every school has one... hahah

i think u of c's ranking is improving, but i'd go mrc if ur doing acct, it's easier and uofc just cause it's a university degree

little_wan
03-02-2005, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Audio_Rookie
University of lethbridge, I say 30% of the students there are for management. School is basically specialized for management, art, and education.

Usually fairly small class sizes, biggest class I have been in was 175 students, most are about 50 though....

perhaps im just being biased because im going to U of L, but im not going for management lol.

website is www.uleth.ca

True that. I'm in science, but apparently Management and education are all the hype here.

CdnSilverStreak
03-02-2005, 11:22 PM
University of Lethbridge.... I'll be graduating this April, and it's a great experience, especially the Faculty of Management. :thumbsup:

t-im
03-02-2005, 11:28 PM
I think the more important question is - where can you get into?

After you receive admissions, then decide which school fits you the best.

ZorroAMG
03-02-2005, 11:44 PM
I did a B.Mgt in Finance at UofL and it was great. I started at U of C but I found the program to be weaker.

U of L is ranked higher, too.

Wildcat
03-02-2005, 11:58 PM
im 2nd year management at UofL too. so it gets my vote :thumbsup:

7thgenvic
03-03-2005, 12:00 AM
management at U of C for the most part is full of a shit load of snobs who believe that they will soon be the owners of calgary! AND SOON THE WORLD!

i really dislike many students in Haskayne! but at the same time there are some pretty down to earth kidS!

i wouldn't give U of C my vote!

B18C
03-03-2005, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by 7thgenvic
management at U of C for the most part is full of a shit load of snobs who believe that they will soon be the owners of calgary! AND SOON THE WORLD!

Don't be hatin. :bigpimp:

7thgenvic
03-03-2005, 12:17 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by B18C

Don't be hatin. :bigpimp: [/QUOTE

im not hating! im hating on all the snots in my ACCT 317 class and BSEN 395 class!

gpomp
03-03-2005, 12:24 AM
depends on your marks... you will get into different schools if you're mark is 60% vs if your mark is 90%

Gainsbarre
03-03-2005, 08:17 AM

:rofl:
So true...especially among finance majors. If you think ACCT 317 and BSEN 395 are bad try enrolling in some 400 level finance courses.

Mckenzie
03-03-2005, 08:21 AM

i really dislike many students in Haskayne! but at the same time there are some pretty down to earth kidS!

i wouldn't give U of C my vote!

Very true....some very big losers there....but it is one of the top 5 business schools in Canada so I would say that it is defenitaly a safe bet for an education.

UoL may rate higher than UofC overall but their business program does not rate as high as UofC's. However, the ratings are quite subjective so I would not put all your decision on ratings.

And as was said, marks will determine where you take management. I would suggest either UofC out here or some of the eastern ivy leagues schools like western or queeens of you have the marks or can afford to go their. If you just want to get through a program as easy as possible or if you dont have the marks, take the UofL program at the SAIT campus in Calgary on weeknights.

Haskaynes entry GPA is rather high (3.6)....

AsianCaucasian
03-03-2005, 08:47 AM
The Haskayne school of business is one of the top business schools in the world. It's ranked 84th on the planet.

eblend
03-03-2005, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by AsianCaucasian
The Haskayne school of business is one of the top business schools in the world. It's ranked 84th on the planet.

true that, and they have won the mba nation wide case competition what....14 years in a row now? Last time they won was a couple of month ago..thats 14 years of winning some of the touchest competiitons competing againt all major universities in canada, i say its a safe bet

i transfered into haskayne from comp sci (thanks god) and yah, to get it need a high gpa...if u can and not in school yet apply right out of highschool, direct entry is much easier if ur school makrs are okay. Transfering sucked, i got 3.6 over the whole year and got it, but they only accepted like 160 students a year (for a 3rd year transfer) so that wasn't very fun

gran turismo
03-03-2005, 09:42 AM
You can look at the U of A's School of Business too. I know the co-op program is getting better there all the time. You transfer into it after 1 year of "genera"l studies (usually from Arts or Science).

BTW, where did you see the rankings? I'm interested to see where the U of A falls.

AsianCaucasian
03-03-2005, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by gran turismo

BTW, where did you see the rankings? I'm interested to see where the U of A falls.

Lol, dont know where the rankings are, thats what all my proffesors say and it's posted on the Haskayne website.

gpomp
03-03-2005, 11:08 AM
84th? yawn.... http://qnc.queensu.ca/story_loader.php?id=40a918d709d10

Kamen
03-03-2005, 11:13 AM
Queen's School of Business
Richard Ivey School of Business

84th?! pffft step aside.

AsianCaucasian
03-03-2005, 11:15 AM
:( I got accepted into Queens and UBC, I'm too poor to go. Can't afford leaving Calgary haha.

t-im
03-03-2005, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Mckenzie

I would suggest either UofC out here or some of the eastern ivy leagues schools like western or queeens

Canada doesn't have any "Ivy League" Universities, or use that distinction.

:( I got accepted into Queens and UBC, I'm too poor to go. Can't afford leaving Calgary haha.

I may sound unrealistic, but I don't think money should be a huge deterrent to going to those good schools (Queens....)...I would have explored all possibilites before throwing in the towel. Not that i'm saying you haven't, but to me it would be hard to let a oppurtunity like that slip away because of money.

AsianCaucasian
03-03-2005, 11:28 AM
Well the way I see it, a university degree is a university degree. An employer is most likely going to consider a person with more experience rather than a person with a supossedly "better" degree. Of course it would probably be advantageous to get a business degree from such prestigious schools and I would probably be getting more out of it but it wouldn't really be that hard for me to get a job anyways. I just turned 18, I speak 4 languages fluently and I already have an impressive resume that includes 2 years of corporate work experience thanks to my networking connections. I would have loved to go but the strain on my parents and myself financially didn't make it feasible :(

sexualbanana
03-03-2005, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by B18C

Don't be hatin. :bigpimp:

Oops, that was supposed to be me. I forgot to log him out

R-Audi
03-03-2005, 11:41 AM
Well, I graduated from Lethbridge in December, and if I had to do it again, I would stay in Lethbridge.
I have many friends at Haskayne, and I would NEVER go there if given the chance. I am basing this on the overall feel of UofC, Not the people as there are always some good and some bad eggs in a bunch. (Finance Club----Could they be any more anti-social??)

BTW, you cant compare UofC MBA programs with undergrad stuff at another U...

If you are looking at results from different competitions, I'll use ICBC as an example. (my ex was involved, so I know a fair bit about it) UofC used the training and the overall comp as a full class. (Sessions every week, and it counts towards your degree) They did extremely well, and typically do so. Other schools delegate this to students to do on their own, and dont do so well. Does this mean UofC is a better school? Nope, just means they focus more on the competitions...Only if they would have put that attention into keeping their old Dean that went to Queens...

All fo this in mind, each school does require different entrance grades, and does give off a different feeling. In the province of Alberta, UofA is doing very well, UofL is doing exceptionally well, and UofC is struggling to get by.--As quoted by a recent UofL President) ---- (and who is bitching about not getting enough funding? The bottom school of course, while the others are doing quite well.....but thats a different topic!)

Wildcat
03-03-2005, 11:52 AM
^:werd: , UofL has the best undergraduate progams hands down, and it shows.

2002civic
03-03-2005, 11:53 AM
U of L management here, got accepted at all three Uni's in Alberta and i chose here, smaller classes, better rankings and U of L is going up while U of C is going down imo :thumbsdow

AsianCaucasian
03-03-2005, 11:57 AM
Wow. I had no idea that UofC sucked so bad!

RiCE-DaDDy
03-03-2005, 02:07 PM
3.6 gpa?? man dont believe the hype...

i think UBC acceptence from high school is like avg 90's plus extra curriculur stuff...mad hype

Gainsbarre
03-03-2005, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by R-Audi
Well, I graduated from Lethbridge in December, and if I had to do it again, I would stay in Lethbridge.
I have many friends at Haskayne, and I would NEVER go there if given the chance. I am basing this on the overall feel of UofC, Not the people as there are always some good and some bad eggs in a bunch. (Finance Club----Could they be any more anti-social??)

BTW, you cant compare UofC MBA programs with undergrad stuff at another U...

If you are looking at results from different competitions, I'll use ICBC as an example. (my ex was involved, so I know a fair bit about it) UofC used the training and the overall comp as a full class. (Sessions every week, and it counts towards your degree) They did extremely well, and typically do so. Other schools delegate this to students to do on their own, and dont do so well. Does this mean UofC is a better school? Nope, just means they focus more on the competitions...Only if they would have put that attention into keeping their old Dean that went to Queens...

All fo this in mind, each school does require different entrance grades, and does give off a different feeling. In the province of Alberta, UofA is doing very well, UofL is doing exceptionally well, and UofC is struggling to get by.--As quoted by a recent UofL President) ---- (and who is bitching about not getting enough funding? The bottom school of course, while the others are doing quite well.....but thats a different topic!)

I couldn't have said that any better myself. The coach for the ICBC team (Dr. Bob Schulz), is superhuman almost...he is insanely dedicated to his students and the faculty. I feel that the U of C's success in that case competition has more to do with Dr. Bob's commitment to Haskayne than the actual quality of the school.

Haskayne doesn't even have a full time dean...the guy hired to repalce David Saunders (Michael Grandin) is an industry person who's far to preoccupied with other things. We only have him here part time as a "vice" dean. Those rankings that are constantly being flaunted? That's for the MBA program.

And that remark about the finance club :rofl:. What else have you heard about them? My dealings with them have been lukewarm at best.

2002civic
03-03-2005, 03:19 PM
also dont forget when it comes to getting a job in this field its more who you know than what you know, make connections, make friends and you'll suceed, if your friends hiring someone in 4 years and you apply your more likely going to get it witha lower GPA than someone else, thats the way of the business world

R-Audi
03-03-2005, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Gainsbarre

I couldn't have said that any better myself. The coach for the ICBC team (Dr. Bob Schulz), is superhuman almost...he is insanely dedicated to his students and the faculty. I feel that the U of C's success in that case competition has more to do with Dr. Bob's commitment to Haskayne than the actual quality of the school.

And that remark about the finance club :rofl:. What else have you heard about them? My dealings with them have been lukewarm at best.

It does seem as though it is Dr. Bob that is winning these competitions through his extreme effort, and that is great to see a teacher so dedicated.

For the Finanace Club, what can I say? I have only met a few of them, well cant really say met, as they didnt feel like talking to some people from outside of the "club" I have a bunch of friends in TSE and CUS, and they are all good people, why they associate with them sometimes I can't understand. Even some of the people in CUS asked if they were at this particular party, and said, "Cause they arent any fun!" I guess they are generally different kind fo people. From what I understood, they all wanted to be Investment Bankers, which is great, because they obviously dont have much of a social life to worry about losing.
To each their own I suppose........

nickq
03-03-2005, 08:42 PM
-

2002civic
03-03-2005, 10:07 PM
I got accepted into both and chose U of L, adn after talking to my dad(oil and gas lawyer) from business colleagues at various oil and gas companies U of L is highly regarded as much as if not more in some cases than U of C

civic_love
03-03-2005, 11:10 PM
the only reason why U of L has a lower average(68%) to get into the school than U of C(81%) is that U of C has too many people trying to get in at once whereas U of L has most of its student population from calgary, edmonton and vancouver so it has to lower the grade to get more students in. once your in, its only like a 2.5 GPA to get into the faculty and with teachers UofL has... its dirt easy..

I've taken my first year at U of C and it licks donkey balls... U of L is byfar the best reccommendation for you... 3rd year MGT... trust me buddie... its a great school:thumbsup:

EDM
03-03-2005, 11:14 PM
84th in the world? pff, UC doesnt even make a top10 in canada in business or the mcleans rankings as overall. at least your exploring your options before you settle for the local uni like some of us :banghead:

the superior business schools are in ontario

R-Audi
03-04-2005, 11:26 AM
Actually the reason why UofL's admission is so low is that they feel that in no way does high school performance corelate with University performance. This was straight out of the ex-Presidents mouth.
Most people dont completely find themselves in Highschool (me for instance) and are way more succesful with University life.
UofC does not give people like me a chance, nor people who may screw up one or two classes in their first year.

Mckenzie
03-04-2005, 11:50 AM
^ :werd: Yeah its bullshit. They are revamping the process at UofC because they are finding that the only good students (for the most part) are the transfers! I know of abuot 5 high school entrants into haskayne right now who are on academic probation for having crap grades....and that goes for most of them....they only need a 2.0 to stay in, so they have this I dont care attitude.

Next year, they will have special admission privaleges for some who have volunteer, sports, and other relveant work experience. I think this is the way to go because a 90 in high school I dont think would be even close to a 60 at university....

My average in high school was 75.6....I missed entry into haskayne by .4% that year....but in University, I have been on the deans list two years in a row and have gotten wicked grades because the only way I could get in was to step it up and strive for gold....I think they should seriously ditch the high school entry. I cant stand working with those people...

Chim
03-04-2005, 04:13 PM
Of course transfer students are the ones that excel, the ones that get in work friggin hard (3.6+ to get in:eek: ) and appreciate that they are in the school. What about the ones who want to get in but are half-assed students (hence get filtered out)?

I agree the system should be revamped somehow though, I can't stand the people who think they'll rule the world after receiving their BCOMM. Or the rich spoiled brats who will one day inherit daddy's oil company and rule the world, and don't even need to be in school while making everybody put up with them.

Kamen
03-04-2005, 04:34 PM
Well the way I see it, a university degree is a university degree. An employer is most likely going to consider a person with more experience rather than a person with a supossedly "better" degree. Of course it would probably be advantageous to get a business degree from such prestigious schools and I would probably be getting more out of it but it wouldn't really be that hard for me to get a job anyways. I just turned 18, I speak 4 languages fluently and I already have an impressive resume that includes 2 years of corporate work experience thanks to my networking connections. I would have loved to go but the strain on my parents and myself financially didn't make it feasible :(

Get a student loan. Just because you can't "afford" to go, doesn't mean the government or Queen's itself aren't willing to help you out financially. Many students at Queen's utilize some sort of aid.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but in reality, nowadays it's a matter of "where" you went to school, not so much as what you learned or how much exp. you have. This is especially true of industries and places where business has major growth and they are looking for strong individuals. Many undergrads are recruited before they even graduate.
Getting a decent job nowadays is hard no matter how you look at it.
Our starting salaries are estimated at 65k US average a year (us Queen's guys that is) , so I would highly recommend you seak out all possible opportunities before you decide you really can't go if you really got accepted.

I'm at Queen's and my brother is at Richard Ivey (Western), so feel free to ask about anything you might want to know :)

R-Audi
03-04-2005, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Kamen
Get a student loan. Just because you can't "afford" to go, doesn't mean the government or Queen's itself aren't willing to help you out financially. Many students at Queen's utilize some sort of aid.

Our starting salaries are estimated at 65k US average a year (us Queen's guys that is) , so I would highly recommend you seak out all possible opportunities before you decide you really can't go if you really got accepted.

I'm at Queen's and my brother is at Richard Ivey (Western), so feel free to ask about anything you might want to know :)

Its good to see that you're not one of those snobby people from Queens, that they have a reputation of having......
(jk, I dont know ya, but they have a certain reputation.. That I have heard of, and seen!)

But I think more then anything (school/grades) is moreso who you know is what is more then likely going to get you your first job. If you dont know many people, you have to go out and meet possible employers through various activities.

Oh, and for the $65kusd you say you will make your first year....There is a recent Report on Business Magazine that states the average salaries after their MBA, and IIRC, Queens and Western are around 80k Canadian, so maybe you are missunderstanding the details.....

7thgenvic
03-04-2005, 06:25 PM
When you realllly think about it! having a BCOMM isn't getting into a MBA program any faster then having a Communications degree or what such!

i think its kinda crazy that some slacker in high school can get a 80% avg and get into business school! and those are the kids, Even at U CALGARY who think their the cream of the crop! GOD DAMN

Kamen
03-04-2005, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by R-Audi

Oh, and for the $65kusd you say you will make your first year....There is a recent Report on Business Magazine that states the average salaries after their MBA, and IIRC, Queens and Western are around 80k Canadian, so maybe you are missunderstanding the details.....

Well, in my year that was just the estimated average we were told. I'm sure many university grads struggle to even get a job since times are so tough now :(

Yea, who you know is very important. It's all about the contacts and relations; shows that the world isn't fair.

nickq
03-05-2005, 12:42 AM
-

R-Audi
03-05-2005, 12:14 PM
Sait or Mount Royal dont offer university degrees, but diploma's. basically I think it is the same stuff, but just not as detailed (2yrs as opposed to 4yr?)

Mckenzie
03-05-2005, 12:31 PM
Yeah you can get through these programs with much less stress....a buddy is doing accouting at sait....for his CGA it is only two years of study and like 8 months of articling, with no module type work. It is much easier at SAIT and MRC for sure....many of the transfer students have told me that when they came to UofC from MRC, they were not prepared for the workload at all.