PDA

View Full Version : Buying 04 SRT-4 thoughts

Cypresskilla
03-03-2005, 06:48 PM
Hey, just wanted to get people's thought's on the SRT-4. if you own one or have researched one tell me what you think, pros VS cons etc.

Hollywood
03-03-2005, 06:55 PM
Pro's = good power, factory aftermarket support.

Con's = It's a dodge turbo engine, it's FWD. torque steer. After factory mods it's too expensive for a neon.

Mazstyle
03-04-2005, 06:12 PM
I have an 04 and I love it! The 04's are faster then the 03's and 05's.... <thats what people say who've crashed there 04's and got 05's>

The car is great, You can actually fit passengers in the back seat and they have leg room, and you can smoke %90+ percent of the vehicles on the road.

The only con I don't like is the shitty turning circle, but you get used to that.

As far as dodge goes, I'm more of a import guy, but dodge is definitely better then they used to be, especially since the merger anyways. And when speaking of new vehicles, Bang for your buck this is the best car you can buy hands down.

Cypresskilla
03-04-2005, 09:34 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mazstyle
I have an 04 and I love it! The 04's are faster then the 03's and 05's.... &lt;thats what people say who've crashed there 04's and got 05's&gt;

The car is great, You can actually fit passengers in the back seat and they have leg room, and you can smoke %90+ percent of the vehicles on the road.

The only con I don't like is the shitty turning circle, but you get used to that.

As far as dodge goes, I'm more of a import guy, but dodge is definitely better then they used to be, especially since the merger anyways. And when speaking of new vehicles, Bang for your buck this is the best car you can buy hands down. [

Have you done any mods to yours?

JordanLotoski
03-04-2005, 09:40 PM
its a 30,000 neon, get a used bmw

Mazstyle
03-05-2005, 12:32 AM
No mods, as of yet. I'm working on 2 other engine swaps, so the SRT-4 is on the back burner until at least one is finished. If i did any mods I would do stage 2 first and exhaust with a Mccord power plate cutout downpipe.

vietdood
03-05-2005, 01:11 AM
how fast do these cars depreciate in value?

likwid
03-05-2005, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by vietdood
how fast do these cars depreciate in value?

Considering that the 05 is the last year of the SRT-4, they will only be harder to find and will not depreciate very much.

ancient
03-05-2005, 03:01 AM
I've lined up against one awhile ago, and it smokkkkkkkkked me.... But its still a neon :P

turbo'dGSR
03-05-2005, 03:23 AM
plenty of info for you here
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73841&highlight=SRT4

Mazstyle
03-05-2005, 09:54 PM
The price at the dealerships is only going up, at least thats what salesmen told me when I tried to get them to beat the deal I had lined up, which they couldn't.

Cypresskilla
03-06-2005, 03:05 PM
04 is the wat to go right no, you get the 0% fin or $2000 cash back if you pay with cash. the guys at varsity Chrysler are really good and they know what there talking about.

pixil9
03-06-2005, 03:27 PM
god please don't buy one of the ugliest POS cars on the market.. dodge :barf:

finboy
03-06-2005, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by pixil9
god please don't buy one of the ugliest POS cars on the market.. dodge :barf: another very useful post :rolleyes:

how your user rating still hasn't dropped is beyond me.

as for the srt4, good car if you want a quick car with a waranty, and they are pretty cheap now :thumbsup:

2.0turbo
03-06-2005, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by MIWYFSHOT
its a 30,000 neon, get a used bmw

uuuhhhmmmm... no it's not. And I can Dera-lick my own balls, thank you very much.

Seriously though, I have test driven one and I have to say, it feels pretty tight and solid. I mean, I wouldn't expect it to last for 200,000 kms without some major upkeep but all in all, it's an awesome deal.

benyl
03-06-2005, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Mazstyle
The price at the dealerships is only going up, at least thats what salesmen told me when I tried to get them to beat the deal I had lined up, which they couldn't.

haha, nice con job.

they will never go up in value. It is a car. Cars never appreciate. SRT-4s aren't rare, they won't be for 30 years. don't kid yourself.

canadiandaytona
03-06-2005, 04:55 PM
What Do you mean cars Never Appreciate..I know of quite a few cars that Have appricated

benyl
03-06-2005, 05:03 PM
Name me a new car, a 2004 or 2005 model that is readily available and affordable that has appreciated in value since it came out.

I am not talking about the $250K ferrari that almost no one on this board can afford (there are a few folks I know that can).

I am also not talking about a restored Gull Wing Mercedes.

I am talking about a car that was manufactured in the last 5 years and cost less than $50K.

There are cars like the 1988 Fiero GT that do not depreciate as quickly because they are rare and somewhat of a collectors car, but it will take another 20 years for it to go up in value.

canadiandaytona
03-06-2005, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by benyl

It is a car. Cars never appreciate.

Just Correcting your Statment..How is anybody suppose to know what your talking about....As for the dealers comment I'm sure he was talking about new cars not used..I.e buy a 2004 rather then waiting for a 2005 a because they 2005 will more expensive then the 2004's....The dealer is not tallking about used cars increasing in Price, as you suggested...

Cypresskilla
03-06-2005, 05:31 PM
Name me a new car, a 2004 or 2005 model that is readily available and affordable that has appreciated in value since it came out.

I am not talking about the $250K ferrari that almost no one on this board can afford (there are a few folks I know that can).

I am also not talking about a restored Gull Wing Mercedes.

I am talking about a car that was manufactured in the last 5 years and cost less than $50K.

There are cars like the 1988 Fiero GT that do not depreciate as quickly because they are rare and somewhat of a collectors car, but it will take another 20 years for it to go up in value.

Damn, i why would u bring a piece of shit like the fiero in to this thread. does your house have wheels cuz if it does get yourself a fiero if not BEAT IT

Mazstyle
03-06-2005, 08:17 PM

haha, nice con job.

they will never go up in value. It is a car. Cars never appreciate. SRT-4s aren't rare, they won't be for 30 years. don't kid yourself.

The point was, which everyone understood but you, the price of new srt-4's is only going up. If you didn't understand that then please re-read. Now compare the 03,04,05 MSRP's. No one said anything about them being "rare", or appreciating after purchase either.....

jersturbo
03-06-2005, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Mazstyle

The point was, which everyone understood but you, the price of new srt-4's is only going up. If you didn't understand that then please re-read. Now compare the 03,04,05 MSRP's. No one said anything about them being &quot;rare&quot;, or appreciating after purchase either.....

The SRT4 will not likely appreciate in value...unless many years from now (maybe?).

The original production numbers were supposed (supposed!) to be more limited...I have been disappointed that those numbers have "appreciated" from the original...instead of value.

Increased production is to blaim...in addition to poor advertising...for the SRT4s lack of value retention.

As for the original point of this thread...YES...is a great car for the money. :thumbsup:

Positives;

Fun for dollar factor.
Lots of mods can be done to play with them.
Quick...and sometimes down-right fast.
Clean appearance...and has the right boy-racer looks.
Viper (inspired) seats.
Excellent steering feel and turn in.
Mopar parts available...including power increase...S1, S2 & S3 :devil:
Fair mileage...when behaving!

Negatives;

Tall...with tall ride height.
Narrow...and weighty...stock rims.
2 to many doors.
Soft springs...average shock valving.
Large turning circle.
Balky shifter.
...Wearing out tires really quickly! - LOL ;)
Poor mileage...when mis-behaving!

Biggest Negative;
Selling mine before moving south! :cry:

Jer

Cypresskilla
03-06-2005, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by jersturbo

The SRT4 will not likely appreciate in value...unless many years from now (maybe?).

The original production numbers were supposed (supposed!) to be more limited...I have been disappointed that those numbers have &quot;appreciated&quot; from the original...instead of value.

Increased production is to blaim...in addition to poor advertising...for the SRT4s lack of value retention.

As for the original point of this thread...YES...is a great car for the money. :thumbsup:

Positives;

Fun for dollar factor.
Lots of mods can be done to play with them.
Quick...and sometimes down-right fast.
Clean appearance...and has the right boy-racer looks.
Viper (inspired) seats.
Excellent steering feel and turn in.
Mopar parts available...including power increase...S1, S2 &amp; S3 :devil:
Fair mileage...when behaving!

Negatives;

Tall...with tall ride height.
Narrow...and weighty...stock rims.
2 to many doors.
Soft springs...average shock valving.
Large turning circle.
Balky shifter.
...Wearing out tires really quickly! - LOL ;)
Poor mileage...when mis-behaving!

Biggest Negative;
Selling mine before moving south! :cry:

Jer

I think the 4doors is a good thing, to many of these tuner cars are inpratical for every day use. Tats why i'm going to buy one. One thing that pisses me off import guys is they call it a NEON:banghead: IT IS BY NO MEANS A NEON.

jersturbo
03-06-2005, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Cypresskilla

I think the 4doors is a good thing, to many of these tuner cars are inpratical for every day use. Tats why i'm going to buy one. One thing that pisses me off import guys is they call it a NEON:banghead: IT IS BY NO MEANS A NEON.

That's true...I actually like that it's a 4 door myself, but i add it to Cons column, as most people are liking coupe style...and you won't find a "Neon" badge anywhere on an SRT4.

Mine doesn't even have any dealer tags/stickers (insisted on it!).

Any short comings can be addressed with an SRT4...including;

~
Shifter - change for STS.

Engine mounts - change all 3 to urethane units.

Rims - change to wider & lighter rims + tires.

Ride height - change to a Mopar S1 or S2 or S3 suspension system, for best ride, OEM quality and adjustable coil over system (S2 or S3).

Mo' Power - Where to begin...Where does it end? :devil: ...install S1 or better is S2 with new adjustable WGA (then tune properly).

Brakes - (already great) change to composite brake pads.

Exhaust - Install Mopar 2.5" cat-back...then 3" O2 & cat equipped down-pipe.

Don't worry about the imports guys...they don't cope with jealousy well...

...besides...you can just smirk at them in the rear view mirror! - LOL

PS
Want an eBlue one? - LOL

Jer

Cypresskilla
03-07-2005, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by jersturbo

That's true...I actually like that it's a 4 door myself, but i add it to Cons column, as most people are liking coupe style...and you won't find a &quot;Neon&quot; badge anywhere on an SRT4.

Mine doesn't even have any dealer tags/stickers (insisted on it!).

Any short comings can be addressed with an SRT4...including;

~
Shifter - change for STS.

Engine mounts - change all 3 to urethane units.

Rims - change to wider &amp; lighter rims + tires.

Ride height - change to a Mopar S1 or S2 or S3 suspension system, for best ride, OEM quality and adjustable coil over system (S2 or S3).

Mo' Power - Where to begin...Where does it end? :devil: ...install S1 or better is S2 with new adjustable WGA (then tune properly).

Brakes - (already great) change to composite brake pads.

Exhaust - Install Mopar 2.5&quot; cat-back...then 3&quot; O2 &amp; cat equipped down-pipe.

Don't worry about the imports guys...they don't cope with jealousy well...

...besides...you can just smirk at them in the rear view mirror! - LOL

PS
Want an eBlue one? - LOL

Jer

ya your right about the importers, how much u selling for, what mods, how many km's?

jersturbo
03-07-2005, 12:58 AM
PM me your email addy...Re: car+pics.
Thanks.
Jer

ya your right about the importers, how much u selling for, what mods, how many km's?

Hollywood
03-07-2005, 01:16 AM
Appreciating Neons,.....thats the most stupid thing I have heard in a long time.:banghead:

jersturbo
03-07-2005, 01:26 AM
Hmmm...this from an 89 furd probe owner!?!
Good choice of ride there... :werd:
Maybe we should have clarified...specifically for knowledgable or intelligent postings only please! :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Hollywood
Appreciating Neons,.....thats the most stupid thing I have heard in a long time.

Cypresskilla
03-07-2005, 10:27 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hollywood
Appreciating Neons,.....thats the most stupid thing I have heard in a long time.:banghead: [/QUO

Couldn't expect any else from a Ford Anal PROBE guy anyways so it's no surprise.:thumbsup:

Z_Fan
03-07-2005, 10:42 AM
Most cars take a 15-20% hit the second you drive them off the lot. Then expect an additional 10% per year.

Anyhow...

I think having 4 doors on the vehicle is a bonus. I'm glad it has 4 doors - if it didn't I wouldn't have bought one.

Here are some annoying things.

No one-touch down windows.
No rear power windows.
No quick/easily [driver's side] accessible trunk release.
Sunroof goes over roofline, not inside. [car shape forces that]

Those are pretty minor things...

JCX
03-08-2005, 11:05 AM
Hey, just wanted to get people's thought's on the SRT-4. if you own one or have researched one tell me what you think, pros VS cons etc.

Pros :
- For the $ they are far and away the quickest. Period.
- Competant handling, better than the "import" crowd thinks.
- Easy to mod, Mopar parts can be had for pretty cheap.
- Pretty wide variety of parts available (engine and suspension).
- Fun to drive, GREAT powerband, lots of torque. 230 WHEEL HP and 250 WHEEL TQ stock!
- Stout, reliable engine. It has been proven to take 400 WHP reliably.
- You should be able to bargain a good deal on one. GET A GOOD DEAL FROM THE START. Don't pay sticker, then bitch about resale. It's a Dodge, they WILL negotiate.
- I like the interior a lot, it's no luxury car but the gauges are nice, controls are logical and seats are great.
- Looks are subjective, but I like them.

Cons :
- It's rather loud.
- No cruise control.
- Rides a bit stiff (to be expected, given the car's objectives)
- Douchebag, slow, ricers tend to talk shit because your car can run rings around them. On the positive side though, some legit import performance guys are friendly and curious about the car.
- Gas consumption is high, particularly if you see the positive side of the boost gauge a lot.
- People tend to (unfairly) compare it to cars that cost MUCH more because it so radically outperforms its class.

In summary, it's a fun car and a great performance bargain. It's not perfect and not for everyone, but it does it's job well. It's a car that's biased for performance and not comfort. Not that it's crude, but if you are looking for RSX luxury, this ain't it. For a few thousand more it can be scary powerful and handle like mad. I like the SRT-4 a lot and enjoy driving them.

Note : Depending on your budget you might want to wait for the ACR SRT-4. It will have all the power and better handling.

alpha_gangsta
03-08-2005, 02:46 PM
SRT4s are the new DSMs of the SCC community.
from the way I've seen most of the SRT4s being driven around, I seriously wouldn;t pay anythign close to its supposed value.
not knocking the car but I wouldn;t be surprised to see plenty of ill treated SRt4s down the road.

About the comments toward Hollywood, notice the sig, "we have conveyed one thing, dont fuck with hollywood.... ".
thats there for a reason. the ford probe wasn't his only car ever nor will it be his last.

Cypresskilla
03-08-2005, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by alpha_gangsta
SRT4s are the new DSMs of the SCC community.
from the way I've seen most of the SRT4s being driven around, I seriously wouldn;t pay anythign close to its supposed value.
not knocking the car but I wouldn;t be surprised to see plenty of ill treated SRt4s down the road.

About the comments toward Hollywood, notice the sig, &quot;we have conveyed one thing, dont fuck with hollywood.... &quot;.
thats there for a reason. the ford probe wasn't his only car ever nor will it be his last.

Or what threats are kind of High School don't you think:thumbsup:

alpha_gangsta
03-08-2005, 09:20 PM

Or what threats are kind of High School don't you think:thumbsup:

haha.... same can be said about name calling and put downs. I'm sure Anal probe as reference was the mature course of action correct? perhaps just a joke and common on the internet but nonetheless, very "highschoolish". congratulations.
btw, sorry if you take it as a threat. I was jsut defending Hollywood and giving him some credit. Hes more knowledgeable then you think.

talonted
03-08-2005, 09:24 PM
I was thinking of selling my car and getting one. I've driven a couple SRT-4's on the track and the road, Very Very nice quick car. I can say i like almost everything about it except the seats....... Nice and viper inspired, but you have to be a skinny mother to fit in them, the pinch me a bit too much in the hips when i sit down and they are quite tight in the shoulders as well. I guess ill have to stick with my DSM for now (haha whatever, i love it)

Cypresskilla
03-08-2005, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by alpha_gangsta

haha.... same can be said about name calling and put downs. I'm sure Anal probe as reference was the mature course of action correct? perhaps just a joke and common on the internet but nonetheless, very &quot;highschoolish&quot;. congratulations.
btw, sorry if you take it as a threat. I was jsut defending Hollywood and giving him some credit. Hes more knowledgeable then you think.

ok but how intelligent is it to come on and say "thats got to be the MOST dumbest thing i ever heard":dunno:

JCX
03-10-2005, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by talonted
I can say i like almost everything about it except the seats....... Nice and viper inspired, but you have to be a skinny mother to fit in them, the pinch me a bit too much in the hips when i sit down and they are quite tight in the shoulders as well. I guess ill have to stick with my DSM for now (haha whatever, i love it)

I know what you mean. I'm 6' and about 200lbs and quite wide across the shoulders and back. They are snug up top, but after a while they do conform to you a bit. Try a couple 12 hour trips straight sitting in them. :devil:

Z_Fan
03-10-2005, 10:46 AM
I have the same problem fitting into the seats.

My car has provided me with inspiration to lose weight so I fit better. I think if a guy weighed about 175 or so, he'd fit OK in this car...but if you're a moderately big guy (6' - 200ish) then this car won't be a comfortable ride unless you're throwing it around on the track...

One more con - the car doesn't have ONE TOUCH downs (or ups) on the windows!! (I hate that)

dsmremy
03-12-2005, 06:00 PM
if you want a fwd performance car ... sure ...

its a strong car, probably one of the better performance cars from factory, but they are FWD. They also look like a neon

personaly i wouldnt buy one just cuz they are FWD, otherwise ide be sold.

ACX
03-16-2005, 06:00 PM
Pretty much what JCX said, he's likely buying my SRT4 as I have the opportunity to buy an AWD SUV and charge it off to my work.

I've had mine for over 1 year and have had specifically no problems with it. RIght around 20 thousand Kms.

Mods so far: stage 1 pcm, borla (mopar) catback, ghetto bov conversion plate, deyeme racing motor mounts, Short throw shifter, drop in filter, new plugs as per dodges recommendation, and new plug wires, home made catch can.

SImple stuff, and the car is just a blast to drive. It has a Quaife LSD stock, and to be honest torque steer is nowhere as bad as one might think.

The car isn't expensive to mod, with or without mopar. There is alot of Mopar support, and some great guys. For example Phil at Edson Chrysler, or Kelly at Eastwood Dodge in Winnipeg are noth happy to pretty much give parts away at close to their cost.

It sure is a neon, with better brakes tires complete driveline, upgraded interior, suspension and the like.

Most negative Neon talk I've experienced is from dash molesters who cannot afford one, or are scorned by the fact that the car will own them in every measurable performance category.

That being said, honestly, I know the car is not for everyone but for me there is no quantitative reason, or quality / reliability reason I would have for not going out and buying another one.

Look into a block heater if you want to drive it all year round. Mine never saw the winter roads really.

:barf: :angel: