PDA

View Full Version : Dealing Directly with Business Manager

max_boost
03-04-2005, 01:07 PM
Any of the forum members have any experience with buying a car and just going straight to the Business Manager?

Say you know what car you want, you know the exact options, you just want a good deal, why not just skip the salesman?

How receptive are Business Managers with this? They don't have to pay a sales commission and probably want to close the deal.

Another question is, is there a standard for which sales guy make? Is it a certain % of markup on the car?

I was thinking, say I wanted a $5k discount, the sales guy works hard for me and gets that deal but it will most likely cut into his commission. I could just give him $1k of my own money and say, 'GOOD JOB'! :D I'm still saving $4k right?
Is what I am proposing a bit shady? I don't think so but seems like the salesguy isn't honest with his boss, a matter of ethics? I don't know.

Please share your insights.

redline
03-04-2005, 01:13 PM
it depands on the dealer as to how the sales guys are paid and as far as going to the sales manager i would say that is dealer depandant also.

But the best way to get a deal is dont buy in Calgary then i would go to one of the sites on the net that you can get invoice and current dealer rebates and go in with that info and deal from there.

CRXguy
03-04-2005, 01:14 PM
www.carcostcanada.com is one of those websites with pricing. pay a small fee and they'll give you a bunch of numbers.

rockym20
03-04-2005, 02:35 PM
First thing - before manufacturer rebates, there isn't much mark-up in new cars. For example, a Toyota dealer makes only around $800-$1000 on an Echo and $1500-$2000 on a Camry.

The only way you are going to get that kind of discount is if you are either buying a high end luxury car (like a 5-series BMW, Porsche, etc.), or if the manufacturer is providing dealer incentives (either advertised or not). As the other guys mentioned, the best way to know about these rebates is to pay some money for a Car Cost Canada quote. Then start shopping around for your best deal, and don't be afraid to go out of town.

max_boost
03-04-2005, 03:45 PM
I have a feeling the dealers will just tell me to pay MSRP by citing something like, if you don't buy it, someone else will because it is high end and since you are bargaining, you probably can't afford it blah blah. There are major incentives on some higher end cars, but they are more prevalent in the U.S.

I might look out of province into BC, anyone know how it works if you buy a brand new car outside of the province? I know for used cars you have to get it inspected to get it registered etc.

max_boost
03-05-2005, 05:10 AM
Originally posted by CRXguy
www.carcostcanada.com is one of those websites with pricing. pay a small fee and they'll give you a bunch of numbers. Just checked it out, seriously a must for anyone considering getting a new car. Some good leverage wiht those numbers :D