PDA

View Full Version : Illegal to ride w/o helmet?

Weapon_R
03-04-2005, 04:00 PM
Is it illegal to ride a bicycle (mountain bike) without a helmet in Calgary? I can't remember if it applied only to youths or adults too.

PS - To all of the Sparkey the Bears, I don't need a safety lesson.

nismodrifter
03-04-2005, 04:01 PM
yes

Gspotracer
03-04-2005, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Is it illegal to ride a bicycle (mountain bike) without a helmet in Calgary? I can't remember if it applied only to youths or adults too.

PS - To all of the Sparkey the Bears, I don't need a safety lesson.

Its Smokey the Bear not Sparkey:thumbsup:

Weapon_R
03-04-2005, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Gspotracer

Its Smokey the Bear not Sparkey:thumbsup:

:rofl:

1badPT
03-04-2005, 04:04 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yes its illegal for adults as well - in fact as an adult without a helmet, you are far more likely to get a ticket than a kid who might get a lecture and a chat with the 'rents...

Besides, if you're riding your bike around Calgary, it would be wise to have a helmet, your sharing the road with idiots who drive huge trucks and don't have a clue how to keep them under control.

AcuraTl
03-04-2005, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by 1badPT
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yes its illegal for adults as well - in fact as an adult without a helmet, you are far more likely to get a ticket than a kid who might get a lecture and a chat with the 'rents...

Besides, if you're riding your bike around Calgary, it would be wise to have a helmet, your sharing the road with idiots who drive huge trucks and don't have a clue how to keep them under control.

^^ i thought he speicifcally asked NOT for a lecture... :poosie:

1badPT
03-04-2005, 04:52 PM
refer to my sig ;)

QuasarCav
03-04-2005, 04:55 PM
I'm pretty sure that it's optional for an adult to wear a helmet on a pedal bike.

He's not talking about a motorcycle. I have ridden in years but I always thought the law was only for kids:dunno:

1badPT
03-04-2005, 05:00 PM
I just dug around some Alberta goverment sites and from what I can find, the law is for people under 18:

http://www.gov.ab.ca/acn/200204/12178.html

Don't take that as a definite though, there could have been changes since that document, but as far as I can tell, it looks like its optional for adults. :dunno:

Weapon_R
03-04-2005, 05:01 PM
Yes pedal bike. Again, I still have this lingering feeling that its optional for adults...but i'm gonna check the bylaws and see if its mandatory or not.

Weapon_R
03-04-2005, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by 1badPT
I just dug around some Alberta goverment sites and from what I can find, the law is for people under 18:

http://www.gov.ab.ca/acn/200204/12178.html

Don't take that as a definite though, there could have been changes since that document, but as far as I can tell, it looks like its optional for adults. :dunno:

Thanks bro, I was just about to get into the search until i noticed your thread!

Weapon_R
03-04-2005, 05:04 PM
This is the most recent update I found.

As of Apr 2004, wearing a helmet is mandatory for youths, but optional for adults.

http://www.saferoads.com/safety/educators/efaq.html

ZorroAMG
03-04-2005, 05:56 PM
Sparkey the bear says: "Kids: do as adults tell you, not as they do!!" LOL

Do as you wish with the helmet, WeaponR but you MUST put playing cards in your spokes, it's hot shit!!! :D:bigpimp:

FiveFreshFish
03-05-2005, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
This is the most recent update I found.

As of Apr 2004, wearing a helmet is mandatory for youths, but optional for adults.

http://www.saferoads.com/safety/educators/efaq.html

You're right. It's optional for adults, but a bell is mandatory if you ride on the city bike paths regardless of age.

BlueGoblin
03-05-2005, 01:48 AM
Wearing a helmet is optional for adults on the road, however city bylaws require that all persons -adult and child - using the bike paths in Calgary wear helmets...

Weapon_R
03-05-2005, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by BlueGoblin
Wearing a helmet is optional for adults on the road, however city bylaws require that all persons -adult and child - using the bike paths in Calgary wear helmets...

And who is in charge of ticketing? I assume its the bylaw officers?

And if this is the case, LOL.

BlueGoblin
03-05-2005, 09:22 AM
^ Bylaw enforcement writes the tickets, and even runs radar enforcing the 20 km/h speed limit on the pathways....I don't think there's any points attached to that ticket though ..... :D

tsi_neal
03-05-2005, 09:53 AM

This is not true, and if it is please point me to the actual legal legeslation. Ive worked on and around bikes for the past 8 years, and its NEVER been brought to my attention.

Bottom line if your under 18 you need a helmet, you WILL get a ticket as cops enforce this far more than bells. If your over 18 its a good idea and i highly reccomend wearing a helmet, but there is no law that says you have to.

BlueGoblin
03-05-2005, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by tsi_neal

This is not true, and if it is please point me to the actual legal legeslation. Ive worked on and around bikes for the past 8 years, and its NEVER been brought to my attention.

Bottom line if your under 18 you need a helmet, you WILL get a ticket as cops enforce this far more than bells. If your over 18 its a good idea and i highly reccomend wearing a helmet, but there is no law that says you have to.

Thanks for calling me on that - I rechecked and it is only applicable to those under 18 now. In my own defense though, I was referring to a city-issued pathways map/information guide from 1996 (yeah - i need a newer one....) which stated that all users of the pathways on bicycles require helmets. The Pathways bylaw is numbered 20M2003 which indicates a major revision in 2003.

Sorry about the misinformation...

AcuraTl
03-05-2005, 07:20 PM
sparky the bear says Adults have stronger skulls than kids !!! :D

Weapon_R
03-05-2005, 07:41 PM
^ Bylaw enforcement writes the tickets, and even runs radar enforcing the 20 km/h speed limit on the pathways....I don't think there's any points attached to that ticket though ..... :D

LOL those oldies will never be able to catch me on my bike...even in their cavaliers :rofl:

codo
03-05-2005, 08:09 PM
it says the fine is 69$ but i got caught for this awhile back i almst starting laughing at the cop thinking that he has nothing better to do but i only paid 29$ anyways

Tyler883
03-06-2005, 12:23 AM
Whats the big deal? Helmets are fashionable these days.

It's not like when I was young and my mom made me wear a hockey helmet. Back then, you could get beaten up for that!

3G
03-06-2005, 01:29 PM
You don't have to wear a helmet, but if you're over 18, it's illegal to ride on the sidewalk, you have ride on the road right? I miss my biking days, looks like im going to get back into it this summer :D

madmazda
03-21-2005, 07:49 PM
As someone who puts more miles on thier bike that do on my car, helmits are a good thing, except when doing 3-5 hrs of climbing when it is hot, so kids wear your brain bucket when you can, I dont always except when mtbing or any racing, as i've kracked my noggen a few times and I've broken my fair share of stuff...

seer_claw
03-21-2005, 07:58 PM
^^ Holy shit, was that covered under warrenty?

I always wear my helmet simply because I have broken 2 and I know that they have saved my life.

Once I hit a tree head on and cracked the helmet fully across the top. Was going way too fast.

The second I was about 5 houses away from home and got chain suck and flipped over my handle bars and cracked the back of the helmet on the pavement. Was glad that I was wearing it. :thumbsup:

Just my 2 bits but always wear one, it will never hurt and you don't know when things will go wrong. This comes froma guy who puts 10,000km a year on his bike.

madmazda
03-21-2005, 08:48 PM
yes just got the new one a while ago (new one for sale with fork and spare frame) and helmets are great saved my bacon and several of my friends as well however when it is real cole they suck!!!!

Tyler883
03-22-2005, 09:38 AM
When its cold, you might want to go to a snowmobile shop and buy one of the ultra thin bellaclavas that they wear under their helmets. I've got one that I use for off season riding, it works pretty good.

madmazda
03-22-2005, 10:32 AM
yea I've got one a helly hansen, however when riding quite hard the damn thing freezes up making it hard to breath, however I try as much as possibe now as my training buddy two weeks ago just got hauled to the foothills with 3 stitches in his head a scraped up face and a really badly bruised hand cause some lady turned in front of him at a intersection..:thumbsdow so after this except when going to the carwash to wash my bike(s) I wear a helmet I know that I'll be wearing it in Moab next week:thumbsup:

seer_claw
03-22-2005, 12:30 PM
^^Lucky bastard. Have fun down there. I hope to go one day when I finish school and have money. :cry:

Phy
03-22-2005, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by 3G
You don't have to wear a helmet, but if you're over 18, it's illegal to ride on the sidewalk, you have ride on the road right? I miss my biking days, looks like im going to get back into it this summer :D

It's over 14. Personally, I'd feel a lot safer on the sidewalk.

madmazda
03-22-2005, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by seer_claw
^^Lucky bastard. Have fun down there. I hope to go one day when I finish school and have money. :cry:

Its going to be fun I went last year for the first time WOW:eek: :eek: pics do not do it justice... also its not going to cost much with every thing(booze too) way under $1000 cad. good riding aprox 5-6 hrs a day (training for the race season) it'll be nice to be able to ride for 6 hrs and not freeze to death like here, the most here with warm up stops is 3-4 hrs. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. its going to kick ass!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

seer_claw
03-22-2005, 03:07 PM
How are you getting down there? And thats not really a bad price at all. I guess I am going to have to look into in sometime soon. ALso how long are you going for?

madmazda
03-22-2005, 04:31 PM
Driving car, the distance is ~ 1700 km one way, and am going for 9 days aprox... and right now the temp during the day is 17c:thumbsup:

madmazda
10-10-2005, 10:25 AM
listen friends go ahead ride with out a brain bucket, I do it once in a while my self and Ive been known to go quite a bit faster than the posted speed (with no one on it but me)however my motto is if you want to ticket me you have to catch me!!!!!! hasent happened yet and I don't see it happening EVER, even with a broken elbow last year they couldn't catch me ha ha!!!!

Carfanman
10-10-2005, 12:48 PM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

old&slow
10-10-2005, 01:20 PM
When it's illegal for adults my mountain bike is for sale!