PDA

View Full Version : Checkstop on Glenmore...

A790
03-05-2005, 01:13 AM
Anyone go through that checkstop on Glenmore tonight? I had to sit there for 30 mins, with the windows down (illegally tinted)!

There must have been half a dozen police cars... and there was a ghost car all lit up at the entrance to the auto mall.

Maybe I'm dumb, but I didn't think they shut down major roadways like that...

All of that for a 10 second conversation, though I will admit that it is absolutely necessary.

sputnik
03-05-2005, 03:33 AM
I dont mind... especially since it means that there will be a couple less drunks on the road even if it is just for one night.

Ben
03-05-2005, 04:29 AM
thats awesome, I love checkstops, feels so rewarding saying "No sir, I havent" after being asked if I drank tonight.

Talies R
03-05-2005, 04:36 AM
Originally posted by Ben
thats awesome, I love checkstops, feels so rewarding saying "No sir, I havent" after being asked if I drank tonight.

I was just gonna say the exact same thing, I've seen lot's of checkstops out lately and they don't bother me at all. Also, if your in a taxi you don't have to wait in line.

Maxt
03-05-2005, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by Talies R

I was just gonna say the exact same thing, I've seen lot's of checkstops out lately and they don't bother me at all. Also, if your in a taxi you don't have to wait in line.

So if you want to drive drunk, drive a taxi....?:poosie:

danno
03-05-2005, 12:19 PM
i've never seen a checkstop, but i think that they are a great idea. i have no problem waiting in line. just think you could be waiting for a checkstop, or you could be waiting for a drunk drivers crash to be cleaned up. good move calgary:thumbsup:

futurecivic
03-05-2005, 12:36 PM
there was another one on mcloed right by cemetary hill comin south bound i love check stops
good work

GTS Jeff
03-05-2005, 12:42 PM
i wish they had more checkstops. somehow after driving for over 4 years ive only been thru a checkstop once recently. i was pretty worried about getting an exhaust ticket heh. i pulled away from there in 3rd gear to keep the revs down :D

spike98
03-05-2005, 04:43 PM
I love check stops too! We get free whopper coupon when we go through them here in the hat! YEA for drunk driving enfourcment and free whoppers!

Zero102
03-05-2005, 05:23 PM
Haha, that would be cool if they gave the free whopper coupons out here too. I would go through the checkstop again and again and again.... lol.
I'm all for them!

danno
03-05-2005, 06:40 PM
i agree they should have them every night. but where could they put them to catch the drunks night after night??? it would be a good idea

DayGlow
03-05-2005, 11:40 PM
Calgary is one of the few cities that runs Check Stop year around every weekend. I remember some stats that were batted around the media that says Alberta has the most drunk drivers. It's because those stats are based on the number caught and charged. I hope those numbers keep going higher. It's amazing that people still get behind the wheel after drinking, then spend $10,000+ on a lawyer because they get caught, so even if someone occasionally gets off on a technicality, they still pay :D

BokCh0y
03-06-2005, 12:37 AM
I'm sorry to hear they boomed you for the tint. But I am glad they have check stops to cut down on the jackasses that feel the need to drive after a few drinks.

Jerms
03-06-2005, 12:40 AM
agreed

SilverBoost
03-06-2005, 01:10 AM
Yeah I pulled up to a check stop when I first moved here last fall...

when I got to the cop and rolled the window down, he looked at the car, then me, and said, "oh oh" kind of laughing. He didn't give me a hard time over anything at all. Even welcomed me to the city. He asked me if I was drinking of couse, and I replied by saying, not only don't I ever do that, but do you think I'd drive around in a heat bag like this if I did. :) He laughed, said, good point.

Drunks = the losers.

7thgenvic
03-06-2005, 01:12 AM
good that the cops are out! too many retarded people these days!

pixil9
03-06-2005, 01:39 AM
I went through one on memorial drive going west right after the louise bridge

Mckenzie
03-06-2005, 11:13 AM
Where was the checkstop on Glenmore?

Just curious....I have never seen on them on a road like Glenmore. They were on Deerfoot last year in the contruction zone when it was down to 70.

My only experience at a checkstop was shitty....I had three drinks over about 4 hours and when I came to the checkstop at outlaws, I was completely honest and told him how much I had to drink. The cop seemed like he wanted to bust me so he made me pull over and do the breathalizer. When I blew ZERO the first time the fucker made me blow again (which I understand they cannot do) and it also read ZERO. The cop didn't know what to do and after talking to another officer he reluctantly let me go...prick...:thumbsdow

A790
03-06-2005, 11:52 AM
I didn't get nailed for the tint, but I was a wee bit chilly with the windows open :D

I completely agree that it's necessary. I know that whenever I go through them it's satisfying to know that the rest of my drive home will be drunk free... if that makes any sence :)

X_plorer
03-06-2005, 01:36 PM
I've only ever gone through one checkstop in Calgary in almost 9 years of having a license. It was on Memorial leaving downtown at like 6:30 at night on a thursday(maybe they were trying to catch people drinking after work??). Took forever, like 45 minutes to get through it. Some guy in a big bronco got tired of waiting and jumped the median to pull on to memorial going westbound and the cops were all over him in a second. Went through way more when I was living in Victoria.

rmk
03-07-2005, 09:33 AM
saw them on macleod, right before james mcevitt turnoff saturday night. they had all the lights going, but they were all inside the bus. alberta has the most braindead rednecks per capita, hence retards who drink and drive. :nut:

B17a
03-07-2005, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by A790
Anyone go through that checkstop on Glenmore tonight? I had to sit there for 30 mins, with the windows down (illegally tinted)!

There must have been half a dozen police cars... and there was a ghost car all lit up at the entrance to the auto mall.

Maybe I'm dumb, but I didn't think they shut down major roadways like that...

All of that for a 10 second conversation, though I will admit that it is absolutely necessary.

At least you got a conversation. I typically love seeing checkstops, but my last one was a let down. IT was the usual Memorial one by the zoo bridge heading east. I ended up lining up like everyone else, by the time I got to the front, they were packing it in. What a letdown!

oddjob
03-07-2005, 09:53 AM
A friend told me that sometimes they give Big Mac coupons out to those who aren't drunk. SCORE!

A790
03-07-2005, 01:47 PM
No kidding?! I want a big mac...

It was right before the turn off at 18th Street heading East.

bspot
03-07-2005, 01:56 PM
I went through one on Bow Trail (Just where 6th ave turns into Bow Trail leaving downtown).

I saw a couple people try escape it to either side by taking th e car dealership roads and they all got POUNCED on! It was awesome. I didn't even get to talk to the cop though :( .. just waved me through lol.

QuasarCav
03-07-2005, 01:58 PM
So far I'm 0 for 3. I dont really drink so I never have anything to worry about but I've been waived through all 3 times.

I love it when people know they are going to get screwed and they try to get away only to get screwed harder. Haha I wonder what the feeling is like.

abyss
03-07-2005, 02:21 PM
I've only been stopped at a checkstop once, it was right after me and Hampstor got together, and he was driving, the cop says "Alberta checkstop, have you been drinking and driving?" Hampstor pauses and then says, "okay!" Needless to say me and the cop both burst out laughing and he lets us go through, I guess Hampstor thought he said "Alberta Checkstop FOR drinking and driving." so logically there should've been more to the conversation than that. I was surprised the cop didn't haul him out of the car and give him all the tests. Maybe he assumed Hampstor couldn't speak english or something....:rofl:

I think they're a great idea, especially that they're out every weekend. One more thing to keep people safe out there.

sputnik
03-07-2005, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by oddjob
A friend told me that sometimes they give Big Mac coupons out to those who aren't drunk. SCORE!

They give out coupons to drivers who blow a zero. In Winnipeg during Christmas the police were handing out $20 Keg gift certificates.

tsi_neal
03-07-2005, 07:09 PM
Hmm last checkstop i went through went like this..

cop "you had anything to drink tonight sir?"

me "one beverage a couple hours ago"

cop "is your car supposed to be smoking like that?"

me "yea thats pretty normal after its been raining"

cop "well youd better get out of here before it catches fire"

I had the headers wrapped with ceramic tape on my old car, and one of them was in a drip zone for water, so as the car warmed up it would steam for the first few minutes. Gotta love it when cops make fun of your ride :dunno:

Barking_Spidre
03-07-2005, 07:53 PM
The first and only checkstop I've been through, it was before Airdrie, going north on the highway. It was so slow, the 3 lanes were backed up past the bridge to Balzac. By the time we got up there, they were done... :thumbsdow

But I'm all for checkstops, should be more.