PDA

View Full Version : Going to USA - Camry vs Accord

guitar88
03-05-2005, 09:18 AM
Hi people,

I'll be going to the USA for a 2 year stint come August/Sept thereabouts. My wife and baby will be going with me.

I've narrowed down my USA car purchase to two choices and I would like to seek views on which is the better choice. Assume that the price is about the same. (Similar models of both in USA cost around $20K USD)

Choice 1: Toyota Camry 2.4L VVTI (4 cyl)

Choice 2: Honda Accord 2.4L iVTEC (4 cyl)

I think both models are available in Singapore. My current thinking is to go for the Accord for a few reasons.

First, safety. According to Edmunds.com, Accord beats the Camry in terms of crash-tests. Safety is very important with a Baby on Board.

Second, engine performance. I think the Accord outperforms the Camry in acceleration etc.

Third, I think the Accord is marginally better than Camry in terms of fuel efficiency.

However the Camry has some advantages.

First, the resale value is higher since I'm going to have to sell the car after 2 years. Second, the boot is bigger. Third, I think the interior finishings look better but I'm 100% sure of that.

Any views?

BokCh0y
03-05-2005, 10:07 AM
i like the camry more. good ol' toyota reliabilty. toyota resale. i think overall quality.

i purchased a 1999 accord a few years ago and when i compared the same accord exv6 with the camry xle v6 the camry actually had more standard features than the accord.

my accord had everything - leather, heated seats, power seats, power windows, power door locks, automatic climate control, sunr oof and blah blah blah.

camry had everything too - plus DUAL automatic climate control, standard 16" wheels where as the accord between 1998-2002 only offered 16" wheels for the coupe. standard traction control - once again the accord only offered this option in 2001 and above. premium sounds system - jbl with tape and cd, 6disc in-dash was an option plus automatic headlight on/off and blah blah blah.

anyways they were pretty much the same thing but yeah the camry had more stnadard features then the accord. the reason i ended up going with the accord was body style. i really like the accord body style more than then camry. but if i had to do it again, i would've said fuk the styling and went with the camry. the thing i found with toyota is that they have a lot of little things that most people don't realize or notice unless they're really into cars. for me that's what did it. the overall "little things" is what does it for me and that is what contributed to me selling my accord and going back with toyota.

i know you can't really compare the camry and accord then to the ones now but in my opinion - go with the camry, you'll be happier with the quality, resale value and just all the little things and standard options will make a difference.

:thumbsup:

Alexs
03-06-2005, 04:04 AM
Have you looked at Mazda 6 (wagon) ?

CryoCarnage
03-06-2005, 10:23 AM
My vote goes to toyota. Unless youre gonna just sell it in like 2 years then get something cheap like a kia spectra or something.