PDA

View Full Version : How winter-drivable are Ford Lightnings?

Gadgetboy
03-06-2005, 06:25 AM
hey guys, I currently drive an Integra but I was thinking of getting rid of it for a Lightning but the problem is, I just don't have room for 2 cars so I would have to drive it in the winter as well. Does anyone know how these trucks handle in the winter?

dieselpower91
03-06-2005, 12:02 PM
If youy get a good set of winter tires and know how todrive RWD in the snow/ice you should be fine.
RWD in snow = fun!:thumbsup:

EnRich
03-06-2005, 12:23 PM
I wouldnt

BlackArcher101
03-06-2005, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by dieselpower91
If youy get a good set of winter tires and know how todrive RWD in the snow/ice you should be fine.
RWD in snow = fun!:thumbsup:
:werd:
A good set of tires, like Nokians, will make up for the loss of traction in the rear. Maybe even studed tires.

I prefer rwd in the winter anyways.

Gadgetboy
03-06-2005, 05:11 PM
well I've never owned a rwd before, so that might be a problem.
Do you guys think they could handle the days where we have heavy snowfall and such? I can't really afford to be stranded at home when I have to get to work on a snowy day.

dieselpower91
03-06-2005, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by EnRich
I wouldnt

Thanks for the insight! Very well said.:thumbsdow

As for getting to work on a snowy day as long as you take extra time it shouldn't be any worse than driving an integra after a big snowfall. At least with the lightning you won't be plowing the streets!

I drove my Nova back in the day all year round and never had any problems with getting stuck.

5.9 R/T
03-07-2005, 03:27 AM
You'll need some serious winter tires all around, and probably some weight in the back to make it half decent. With an auto, low gearing, and gobs of tq you'll have to be extremely consciencious of the throttle. It will be worse then your teg, but should still be manageable and not leave you stranded. IMO I wouldn't do it, for two reasons, the first is that its a nice truck and it would be a shame to expose it to winter driving and two because even with winter tires and weight she'll still be a bit tempermental. Get the truck and buy a 500 dollar beater for the winter, there are lots of cheap storage places around town that you can park it if you don't have room.

4WARNED
03-07-2005, 10:12 PM
We had a 2000 Lightning in the family for four years and we used it in the winter......wasn't smart, but even with the ugly steelies and winter tires on it along with sandbags, the motor still makes too much torque down low to use it in the winter......had us seriously considering removing the supercharger pulley for winter travels......

Ice was not a friend of that truck.......:thumbsdow

But all the frustrations disappeared once the streets dried up and the summer tires went back on......:)