PDA

View Full Version : RWD Diesel?

CryoCarnage
03-06-2005, 12:50 PM
hey guys. has there ever been a Rear wheel drive diesel car? Well recently. i know that older 20+ year cars have had them but has any i guess you can say recent ones have rear wheel drive? I don't think it's possible unless the engien was at the back. If it was a FR, the diesel would lose too much power from the drive shaft IMO. anywaycan you guys tell me of any models that are rear-wheel and are available LHD. WOuld be pretty cool to pick up one of these. Also any JDM ones avail? Alot to ask for but meh :D

forkdork
03-06-2005, 01:03 PM
WTF are you talking about, they have FR diesel cars EVERYWHERE except in North America.

Ones we got here:
96-99 Mercedes E300 (W210 body style, I think)
94-95 Mercedes E300 (w124)
Earlier W124 300D 2.5's
theres also older
190D
300D
350SD/SDL
300SDL
300SD
240D

Those are all Benz, I think lincoln had some POS diesel too in the early 80's.

EDIT: Also, Dodge Sprinter Van is RWD and diesel!

finboy
03-06-2005, 01:08 PM
you could get diesel chevettes and they are rwd :rofl:

BlueGoblin
03-06-2005, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by CryoCarnage
hey guys. has there ever been a Rear wheel drive diesel car? Well recently. i know that older 20+ year cars have had them but has any i guess you can say recent ones have rear wheel drive? I don't think it's possible unless the engien was at the back. If it was a FR, the diesel would lose too much power from the drive shaft IMO. anywaycan you guys tell me of any models that are rear-wheel and are available LHD. WOuld be pretty cool to pick up one of these. Also any JDM ones avail? Alot to ask for but meh :D

- Hardly any, because diesel engine produce so little horsepower and torque that driveshafts just gobble up their power. Even the front drive diesels only drive one wheel (usually the driver's side wheel) because friction losses in a differential would render the car almost immobile. This is why trains have diesel engines; too much power to a train's driveline could cause it to lose control and spin out during hard acceleration.

A R/R diesel just hit the market last year in Canada, actually, the SMART car available at your local mercedes dealership should be able to take care of all your rear drive diesel needs. That or a E320 diesel....

Raz
03-06-2005, 01:18 PM
There are tons of rwd manual and auto diesels and turbo diesel BMW's and Opels, they were all nice :)

- Rasmus

tsi_neal
03-06-2005, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by BlueGoblin

- Hardly any, because diesel engine produce so little horsepower and torque that driveshafts just gobble up their power. Even the front drive diesels only drive one wheel (usually the driver's side wheel) because friction losses in a differential would render the car almost immobile. This is why trains have diesel engines; too much power to a train's driveline could cause it to lose control and spin out during hard acceleration.

How much crack are you smoking on a daily basis? Diesel engines arent underpowered, they just make more of this magical thing called torque. Look at a ford f350 it makes 325hp and nearly 600ftlbs. yea so little power it can barely spin the driveshaft :rolleyes: Infact its enough power that it can comfotably haul some 12,000 odd pounds and still not struggle to make it up hills on the highway at 120kmph.

Not to mantion that most cars on the road have open differentials (no this doesnt mean they just drive the front drivers side wheel, it means the wheel with the least traction gets powered. so youre standard VW TDI is no different. Also even these small 1.8L diesel engines i wouldnt call underpowered, ive been in a bone stock TDI jetta that pretty comfortably pulled past 200km/h not bad for a motor that "produces so little hp..."

Diesels definatly have their cons, but underpowered is not one of them. And if you ever say they dont produce much torque again ill personally go and kick you in the junk.

BlueGoblin
03-06-2005, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by tsi_neal

How much crack are you smoking on a daily basis? Diesel engines arent underpowered, they just make more of this magical thing called torque. Look at a ford f350 it makes 325hp and nearly 600ftlbs. yea so little power it can barely spin the driveshaft :rolleyes: Infact its enough power that it can comfotably haul some 12,000 odd pounds and still not struggle to make it up hills on the highway at 120kmph.

Not to mantion that most cars on the road have open differentials (no this doesnt mean they just drive the front drivers side wheel, it means the wheel with the least traction gets powered. so youre standard VW TDI is no different. Also even these small 1.8L diesel engines i wouldnt call underpowered, ive been in a bone stock TDI jetta that pretty comfortably pulled past 200km/h not bad for a motor that "produces so little hp..."

Diesels definatly have their cons, but underpowered is not one of them. And if you ever say they dont produce much torque again ill personally go and kick you in the junk.

Wow. I guess the part about a train spinning out under acceleration was not enough to key you in that I was joking. As in not entirely serious or as in using gentle sarcasm in an attempt at mild humour. I had initially felt while writing this that being blatently absurd was enough to indicate such intent, however perhaps I shall put up warning signs should I again make such an attempt.

Ahem.

BlueGoblin
03-06-2005, 01:56 PM
Oh, and incidentally, the VW diesel engines displace 1.9L, not 1.8L. Thats 1876cc or 115.7 in³ if you want to get specific... ;)

nismodrifter
03-06-2005, 02:03 PM
You say that the 20+ year old cars have them..um ok...so why WOULDN'T they have any now? And if so, why would they be worse than the cars produced 20 years ago (your first post doesn't really make any sense...if they made it 20 years ago then what would stop them from doing it now?). And what about every heavy duty truck on the road? They aren't FWD are they.....

I'd still take the benzo anyday for highway driving (slow off the line but damn you better watch out when this thing hits 80), this thing could smoke the shit out of a TDI at any speed above 80km+.

and a picture just for the hell of it :D I will most definately be buying a w126 diesel some time in the future just for historic purposes :D

streetarab
03-06-2005, 02:36 PM
if diesels have no power, why are all semi trucks diesel?

maybe this is some kind of weak owning :dunno:

Originally posted by tsi_neal
How much crack are you smoking on a daily basis?
:werd:

EDIT:do you know how a driveshaft works, powerloss isnt that big of an issue once you get past the tranny

5.9 R/T
03-06-2005, 03:57 PM
I think there are a few people in this thread who need to spend less time on the internet and more time filling their headlight fluid.

CryoCarnage
03-06-2005, 04:41 PM
alrighyt for those who havent been total jackasses, are there any AWD diesel cars. Must be old. I want to get a fun vehicle that can do rally cross

forkdork
03-06-2005, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by 5.9 R/T
I think there are a few people in this thread who need to spend less time on the internet and more time filling their headlight fluid.

No kidding, too many idiots think they are always right.

Never heard of an AWD diesel in NA.

Weapon_R
03-06-2005, 06:27 PM
alrighyt for those who havent been total jackasses, are there any AWD diesel cars. Must be old. I want to get a fun vehicle that can do rally cross

Then your going to want a gas powered car. Why on earth would you want a diesel AWD vehicle to rally with??

CryoCarnage
03-06-2005, 07:19 PM
Cause it would be cooler that no one has ever seen before. I dont know it was just a g eneral discussion.

forkdork
03-06-2005, 07:32 PM
Uh there are diesel rally cars you know....... Its not something new....