PDA

View Full Version : 1/4 mile runs in canada / usa

pixil9
03-06-2005, 03:37 PM
Ok my friend is telling me that a car will run 10 seconds in the states but it will run 12 seconds in canada.. wtf is he talking about?

finboy
03-06-2005, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by pixil9
Ok my friend is telling me that a car will run 10 seconds in the states but it will run 12 seconds in canada.. wtf is he talking about?

he could be talking about difference in elevation, which mainly affects naturally aspirated cars, but i couldn't see there being a 2 second difference.

CalgarySS
03-06-2005, 03:43 PM
Here are the NHRA correction values for altitude.

....2 second difference? not quite.

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/misc/altitude.html

Audio_Rookie
03-06-2005, 03:48 PM
maybe a .7 sec difference.....2 seconds....bwahaha, unless the US has some traction adhesive on all there tracks that we dont have, and is far superior...

finboy
03-06-2005, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Audio_Rookie
maybe a .7 sec difference.....2 seconds....bwahaha, unless the US has some traction adhesive on all there tracks that we dont have, and is far superior...

it can be more then .7 once you take barometric pressure into affect. still not 100% clear on how this works though

benyl
03-06-2005, 04:51 PM
Calgary can have a relative altitude of anywhere between 2000 ft and 7000ft. This is one of the worst places to tune a car.

Go4Long
03-06-2005, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by finboy

he could be talking about difference in elevation, which mainly affects naturally aspirated cars, but i couldn't see there being a 2 second difference.
you mean F/I right? I would think turbos and superchargers would be more affected by atmospheric pressure...and it has nothing to do with canada/US, probably one of the best places to go as far as atmospheric pressure goes would be somewhere like vancouver, dense air for sea level, and not 90 degrees like california would be...

finboy
03-06-2005, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Go4Long

you mean F/I right? I would think turbos and superchargers would be more affected by atmospheric pressure...and it has nothing to do with canada/US, probably one of the best places to go as far as atmospheric pressure goes would be somewhere like vancouver, dense air for sea level, and not 90 degrees like california would be...

nope, forced induction cars aren't affected by elevation change as much as N/A as forced induction cars make their own atomospheric pressure, which is why having a forced induction car in calgary has its advantages ;)

RB25DET
03-06-2005, 10:46 PM
Which is exactly why almost all pressurized piston aircraft have turbos.....so they can have 300 hp on the ground, and 300 hp at 25 000 feet.

Bonka
03-07-2005, 12:51 AM
No two tracks are the same. Maybe one was a fast track and the other slow :dunno: (Relative to all other factors being equal of course..)

Toms-SC
03-07-2005, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by finboy

nope, forced induction cars aren't affected by elevation change as much as N/A as forced induction cars make their own atomospheric pressure, which is why having a forced induction car in calgary has its advantages ;)

My SuperCoupe is big time effected by elevation.
:) M90 can't get enough air to compress.