PDA

View Full Version : Summer employment at Syncrude

redx2nv
03-06-2005, 04:34 PM
I was offered a student position at syncrude for the summer, and was just wondering what the accomidations were like. Do you live there during your days off, or do they bus you home? How is living in Ft mac?

Unsure if i will take this, i currently have a job here that pays me the same, but i am mostly wanting to go for the exeperience.

kaput
03-06-2005, 04:46 PM

BumpinTalon
03-06-2005, 06:59 PM
work at syncrude??? if you have a job that pays the same here, hell no. you will make less money living there then you will here because inflation is out of control up there, or you could take an eight hour long bus ride twice a week and only have two days & three nights at home and the last night you get hardly any sleep before the bus comes and picks you up at 5 in the morning. the food is good, but the work is not. Fort McMurray never gets warm.

BloodBaneZXY
03-06-2005, 08:11 PM
Fort McMurray isn't as cold as it's made out to be....but the city in general sucks. There's really not much to do there at all, and the drive back to calgary is pretty lengthy. It's not a bad city, but specifically for people aged like 17-24 there's really not a whole lot to do. I applied for a summer job there and I'll find out sometime with the next couple weeks if I did get it.

ecstasy_civic
03-06-2005, 09:28 PM
I dunno bout' you guys who work there, but I work there charter flights every monday morning, I was under the impression everyone is flown up there and flown back on there Canadian North charter flight?

Jerms
03-06-2005, 10:27 PM
man fort mac is the worst..... its good on resume but your gonna be bored out of your mind up there

BloodBaneZXY
03-06-2005, 10:30 PM
The charter flights are pretty difficult to get. The syncrude jet only seats like 7-8 people and there's a shitload of people that commute, so it's tough to get em. However a lot of people do drive back every weekend, so you can carpool with 3-4 people for pretty cheap (renting a car).

kaput
03-06-2005, 10:31 PM

BloodBaneZXY
03-06-2005, 10:36 PM
Yeah there's quite a bit of housing on the site that's available, however it is about an hour drive from the city. Personally I think it'd be best for anyone who's new there just to live right at the site, there's not a whole lot to do in the city. Either way though, there are busses every morning that drive you to the site, and you can sign out company trucks to drive back into the city, so it's pretty flexible.

ecstasy_civic
03-07-2005, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by BloodBaneZXY
The charter flights are pretty difficult to get. The syncrude jet only seats like 7-8 people and there's a shitload of people that commute, so it's tough to get em. However a lot of people do drive back every weekend, so you can carpool with 3-4 people for pretty cheap (renting a car).

actually its a B737-200, seats about 120 people.

Zero102
03-07-2005, 10:27 AM
^^^
That's a pretty impressive jet to transport employees!

DUBBED
03-07-2005, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by redx2nv
I was offered a student position at syncrude for the summer, and was just wondering what the accomidations were like. Do you live there during your days off, or do they bus you home? How is living in Ft mac?

Why don't you ask the person who offered you a job? I'm sure he would know better than anyone on here.

Altezza
03-07-2005, 12:51 PM
I know quite a few people and families that have (or currently still work) for Syncrude. They all drive in/out of Fort Mac to Edmonton on the weekends cuz it's boring as hell out there. Spend a month there and even Edmonton looks exciting, haha.

Aleks
03-07-2005, 12:55 PM
If you are an engineering student and you got offered a job there suck it up and do it. When you eventually graduate that experience will almost guarantee you a job in the oilpatch. At least you'll get interviews. What's one summer in the grand scheme of things?

BloodBaneZXY
03-08-2005, 12:03 AM
Umm, maybe I'm incorrect about the jet..or they've gotten a new one..but last time I flew on it was 5-6 years ago, and it only seated 7-8 people. You sure about that ecstasy?

ecstasy_civic
03-08-2005, 12:18 AM
Umm, maybe I'm incorrect about the jet..or they've gotten a new one..but last time I flew on it was 5-6 years ago, and it only seated 7-8 people. You sure about that ecstasy?

I dont get up at 330am for nothing, of course im sure.
plane leaves Esso Avitat @ 05:50am

X_plorer
03-08-2005, 01:30 AM
I'm pretty sure the jets and townhouses you guys are talking about are only for the engineers and high end management. My bf has been working up there for years on and off and has never been offered either of those options. I would love it if they would fly him home as I would get to see him for another day rather then him spending 8hrs to drive home.

Strider
03-09-2005, 01:00 AM

Originally posted by ecstasy_civic

I dont get up at 330am for nothing, of course im sure.
plane leaves Esso Avitat @ 05:50am

I flew on the Syncrude company jet a little while ago. It's a cessna citation ultra, holds about 10 people.

I think the pilots are actually Syncrude staff...

BloodBaneZXY
03-09-2005, 08:34 PM
Yea I flew on the same on Strider, and yeah I'm pretty sure the pilots are employed by syncrude as well. My math teachers husband was one of the pilots..

redx2nv
03-13-2005, 05:14 PM
Thanks for the input.. Just wondering now if its safe to take my s2k?

CokerRat
03-13-2005, 06:10 PM
I lived there for a few years up til 2001. You will have tons of other students to drink and comiserate with. Actually the summer students usually have a great time.

And yes, for chemical or mechanical engineers who want to work in the oilpatch, it is just about the best experience you could put on a resume.

I would not leave an S2K in uncovered mass parking in Fort Mac but I also wouldn't do that in Calgary or Edmonton either!

What discipline are you and what area would you go to?

redx2nv
03-15-2005, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by CokerRat
I lived there for a few years up til 2001. You will have tons of other students to drink and comiserate with. Actually the summer students usually have a great time.

And yes, for chemical or mechanical engineers who want to work in the oilpatch, it is just about the best experience you could put on a resume.

I would not leave an S2K in uncovered mass parking in Fort Mac but I also wouldn't do that in Calgary or Edmonton either!

What discipline are you and what area would you go to?

Im in the Industrial Heavy Equipment trade...

Probably leave the s2k in my garage back in edmonton, and rely on their free transportation..

Pure_ArchAngel
04-27-2005, 11:44 PM
I think all you people who hate fort mcmurray so much should just stay the hell away and leave the summer jobs for the local guys like me who can't get a decent job because they're all taken! End vent.