PDA

View Full Version : Sony flash MP3 players good?

GTS Jeff
03-06-2005, 06:08 PM
Is this any good? (http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?CategoryName=pa_flashMemory&ProductSKU=NWE95&TabName=feature)

Ipods are too expensive for poor, scruffy bums like me, and Ipod shuffles suck because of a lack of a display. I don't really trust all the no-name mp3 players out either, so that leaves this Sony.

Any input?

1-Bar
03-06-2005, 06:31 PM
major flaw in design....if things go bad, they go bad. Talked to the service rep and the mechanism to ff/rwd breaks pretty ez....sold a lot though since they are cheap and small. Not too bad for $100ish

Weapon_R
03-06-2005, 06:55 PM
I have a no-name one and its been excellent for me.

512mb samsung memory, and a good user-friendly interface. I don't really use it for too much music, although I do have about 30 songs on there. I mainly use it for a cheap and light HD, and it hasn't caused me any trouble yet!

GTS Jeff
03-06-2005, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by 1-Bar
major flaw in design....if things go bad, they go bad. hmm what exactly do u mean? i can see how the rrwd/ff button would break easily, but is there anything else?

Neil4Speed
03-06-2005, 10:38 PM
I bought one, the price is unbeatable, I would 100% recommend them, no quality issues so far, they seem to be superb. 70 hour battery, very functional.

ATRAC is also not as bad as it sounds.

dragonone
03-07-2005, 12:42 AM
u better check if it needs to convert the mp3s when you drag and drop them in the mp3 manager software
from what i gather, sony just started to recognize this format 'cause they're so big on anti-piracy

there's tons of other brands, (just because the brand's not popular here doesn't mean it's no-name), search a bit
some go for less than 100 bux, some even more expensive than the ipods

other than the mini, i'd look overseas

blinkme_210
03-07-2005, 12:45 AM
All you mp3's gotta be converted to ATRAC3 format before they can be transferred onto the player. Which means, those converted files are gonna take up space as your library grows larger. Other than that little set back, they're solid mp3 players.

GTS Jeff
03-07-2005, 01:50 AM
Are you guys SURE that you need to use ATRAC3? According to the website, it can play MP3s without conversion:

Plays Back in ATRAC3™ Audio Format and MP3 Files3: Transfer and play back your music in the ATRAC® Audio format or, using MP3 File Manager, easily drag and drop your native MP3 files from your PC's hard drive to your portable device.

If I do indeed need to convert to ATRAC3, then this guy is crossed off my list.

EK 2.0
03-07-2005, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
Are you guys SURE that you need to use ATRAC3? According to the website, it can play MP3s without conversion:

If I do indeed need to convert to ATRAC3, then this guy is crossed off my list.

no, the NW-E95 will and does support MP3 drag and drop...only the smaller 256MB version converts your MP3's into Atrac3 Files...

Neil4Speed
03-07-2005, 09:29 AM
Yes, mine supports Drag And Drop, but really ATRAC was a major reason for me not buying the unit at first, but now, I am very very impressed with it. I am just using my MP3 player for the gym, so I am not a stickler for quality, but even with 200 songs on my 512mb, it sounds superb.

The new Sonicstage works very well, fast and easy to use.

I would definately recommennd a Sony MP3 player. I bought mine for something like $130 and its a 512.

Hope you find something GTS Jeff.:thumbsup:

GTS Jeff
03-07-2005, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed
Yes, mine supports Drag And Drop, but really ATRAC was a major reason for me not buying the unit at first, but now, I am very very impressed with it. I am just using my MP3 player for the gym, so I am not a stickler for quality, but even with 200 songs on my 512mb, it sounds superb.

The new Sonicstage works very well, fast and easy to use.

I would definately recommennd a Sony MP3 player. I bought mine for something like $130 and its a 512.

Hope you find something GTS Jeff.:thumbsup: holy shit where? best buy sells for 150 and even at staff pricing, its 132. for the trouble i have to go thru to get staff pricing, id much rather pay the full price.

EK 2.0
03-07-2005, 10:40 PM
Jeff, if you can wiat for the next generation which are due out in a very short time here, i can hook you up with staff pricing better than that of "those guys" lol...and even ship it to your door...downside...you wait a couple of extra days...upside...save $$$

Neil4Speed
03-08-2005, 07:52 PM
holy shit where? best buy sells for 150 and even at staff pricing, its 132. for the trouble i have to go thru to get staff pricing, id much rather pay the full price.

It was a short time offer from Sony store, It had a rebate on it, I believe it worked out to be $149-$30 Rebate, so actually $119.

Pretty sweet.

But it might not be a bad idea to wait for the next gen

GTS Jeff
03-08-2005, 09:06 PM
hm thanks arif but damn diggity i have 130 on a bestbuy gift card to use. are these e95s being discontinued?

1-Bar
03-09-2005, 12:01 PM
hmm what exactly do u mean? i can see how the rrwd/ff button would break easily, but is there anything else?

oops, sorry for the wait......nope that's all that goes wrong, and sonicstage is hit or miss, sometime you'll get software issues, other times you don't. MP3 file manager is the way to go...

Also, new models will arrive by the end of the month and they start at $110....if you want the sports one, NWS23, I got one brand spanking new and my store, I think the last one in the alberta district......it retails for $139.99

EK 2.0
03-09-2005, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by 1-Bar

oops, sorry for the wait......nope that's all that goes wrong, and sonicstage is hit or miss, sometime you'll get software issues, other times you don't. MP3 file manager is the way to go...

Also, new models will arrive by the end of the month and they start at $110....if you want the sports one, NWS23, I got one brand spanking new and my store, I think the last one in the alberta district......it retails for $139.99

it is the last one in the AB District man...dammit:banghead:

and No Worries Jeff...just letting you know man...

clapbak
03-09-2005, 02:38 PM
if i were u.. i would get an Ipod Shuffle..
512 or 1 Gig

They are Cheap, Small, and Sexy Lookin!

clapbak
03-09-2005, 02:39 PM
1 GIG is 189.00 Right now
512 is 129.00

clapbak
03-09-2005, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by clapbak
1 GIG is 189.00 Right now
512 is 129.00

and i take it back.. sorry didnt read whole post lol..