PDA

View Full Version : Uniden radar detector

redline_13000
12-27-2002, 09:18 AM
47$ at a&b..is it worth it? i dont know shit about radar detectors..just want sotin very cheap and that will help, thanks

MistaBrent
12-27-2002, 01:46 PM
radar detectors suck.

they should call them taxi detectors.

buy a few cd's with the $50

boi-alien
12-27-2002, 01:50 PM
the only radar detector worth getting is a valentine 1, kenny's selling his if i remember correctly

davidI
12-27-2002, 01:57 PM
I hvae a cheap one and although it does pick up a lot of false signals it has saved my ass a few times.

GTS Jeff
12-27-2002, 02:22 PM
cheap radar detectors still work on the highways.

Maxt
12-27-2002, 09:32 PM
I've used a couple of Unidens, not a bad brand, better than the cobra and whistler stuff for sure..
I find though a radar detector is only a tool, and is only as good as the person using it..
I like my speed, I use a radar detector, but I don't speed all the time, in every vehicle I drive. In my work van, I never speed, in my 4x4, I accelarate fast, but rarely break the posted limit, being 8 feet above the rest of traffic in a truck that sounds like a top fuel dragster is not very "stealthy" for speeding..
When I drive my sevens, yeah I nail it when the time is right, when I can see for miles and there is no oncoming cars, or when I get what I like to call a "player"...
A player, is a person that no matter how fast you are going, they have to be in front of you, they can never let you pass them, if you do they will speed up just to pass you and be back in front, I love these people, they are like guinea pigs for traffic, I always find the "player(s)" and let them get on it, often I goad them into going the speed I want to go, by continually making like I am going to pass them, they will just keep speeding up to attempt to stop me from passing them, I have had people drive with their car bouncing off the rev limiter just to be the "leader", fine by me, once up to speed I give them a good following distance, say about a half a kilometre, and let them and the radar detector find the cops...Its a very good way to travel the major highways at high speeds..

Cars to look for to "clear the way" and who can't stand to be passed..
1)Any 1995 and up Grand Prix or grand am
2)Lexus IS300
3)Ford Explorer
4)jeep grand cherokee
5)Bmw 318 or 323
6)Cadillac STS

Max

Fluidic
12-27-2002, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by crxboi
the only radar detector worth getting is a valentine 1, kenny's selling his if i remember correctly

I can vouch for that! :D

lol

I love mine with a passion!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Peter

Si_FlyGuy
12-28-2002, 12:13 AM
I can't afford the valentine...so I just wrap my radar detect with a lot of tin foil and christmas lights:)

B18C
12-28-2002, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R
cheap radar detectors still work on the highways.

I agree. The V1 is the best but even that doesn't work well in the city. On the highway, a cheap detector is better than nothing.

Stratus_Power
12-28-2002, 02:32 AM
ok i have 2 questions..

1) so wat do they detect? just laser pointing at you? wat about photo radar? can it even detect cops car?

2) wats a decent one that is good enuf for highway..s ince thats all i really need

B18C
12-28-2002, 03:30 AM
Just make sure the detector picks up K band and Ka band. I've never seen cops in Alberta, BC or sask use anything but these. I've only actually only seen cops in montana and idaho use K band. I've never seen anyone use X band.

For lasers, I wouldn't even worry about it. Even the V1 manual says it's basically useless. The diameter of laser even at max range is something like 3ft. So basically if you detect laser, you've just been tagged.

NickGT
12-28-2002, 03:48 PM
Just reading about the K40 Electronics Laser DefuserPlus. Basically a licence plate frame that's guaranteed to jam those pesky cop's laser guns from determining your speed until you've had time to slow down. When the plate on the front detects that your being shot at, it notifies you inside your car on a little light i think it was that tells you to be careful and reduce your speed. Tested by the guys in Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords, it works like a charm. with radar detectors they just announce that your fucked pretty much. This saves you $$ =)

http://www.k40.com/K40Radar/LaserDefuser.htm

Weapon_R
12-28-2002, 04:51 PM
That would only work if the cop shot the licence plate - but that rarely ever works. Most lasers work anywhere on the vehicle - why aim for something as small as a licence plate?

Luke 96 T/A
12-28-2002, 09:20 PM
The blinder M-10 works very well against laser....
(I've tested it myself... 10 times, but same laser gun.. each time it was unable to read my speed)
www.blinder.net..
the cop can aim anywhere, and he won't get you..
(I have mine installed on a big, old, square pickup truck... every inch of it's front surface is perfect for laser shots..)

GTS Jeff
12-28-2002, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
That would only work if the cop shot the licence plate - but that rarely ever works. Most lasers work anywhere on the vehicle - why aim for something as small as a licence plate? supposedly it reflects best :dunno:

theken
12-29-2002, 12:15 AM
*Add A 89' Probe GT (black) with a beyond decal on the window to that list of "players" I hate getting passed, especially when i am already speeding, and especially if it is like a saturn :thumbsdow

NickGT
12-29-2002, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by Luke 96 T/A
The blinder M-10 works very well against laser....
(I've tested it myself... 10 times, but same laser gun.. each time it was unable to read my speed)
www.blinder.net..
the cop can aim anywhere, and he won't get you..
(I have mine installed on a big, old, square pickup truck... every inch of it's front surface is perfect for laser shots..)

very cool! :thumbsup:

Originally posted by Weapon_R
That would only work if the cop shot the licence plate - but that rarely ever works. Most lasers work anywhere on the vehicle - why aim for something as small as a licence plate?

Police are trained to aim for a low, reflective source in front of the car, like a license plate, or head light. Laser can't be shot at the side of a car and give an accurate reading. and as far as i know it still works

Taken from http://www.k40.com/K40Radar/DefuserPlusFAQ.htm#1.
"The license plate area is one of the easiest and most reflective areas on a vehicle for police to target. That’s why laser gun operators are traditionally trained to aim there, and that’s why the DefuserPlus was designed to strategically mount there. The effectiveness of the Laser DefuserPlus™ is not limited to that area only. At typical target ranges of 500 to 1,000 feet, the DefuserPlus™ will protect the entire front of a traditional size vehicle, headlights, grille, and bumper included."

Weapon_R
12-29-2002, 03:28 AM
I totally agree - but as a cop, I wouldn'[t really care where I aimed at the vehicle - I've used a police laser gun before and you could aim the laser anywhere on the car, and it would provide a reading. I just don't see why they would aim at the license, when there is a whole vehicle to aim at....

Besides, we don't have licence plates in the front anyways.

NickGT
12-29-2002, 10:16 AM
I really dont know why they wouldnt aim at any other part of the vehicle. I think you have to imagine it for a second. A car coming towards you, your holding your radar gun. It's probably easier to hit the license plate area, or any part of the front end for that matter than anywhere else on the car. So you try and hit anywhere on the front of the vehicle.

Well with the license plate frame thing I posted its just mounted on your license plate. Apparently cops are suppose to be targetting that area cause its the most reflective and gives the most accurate reading. But the thing also covers your entire front end jamming laser signals

Luke 96 T/A
12-29-2002, 03:00 PM
From what I've heard, passenger side headlights are also good to aim at...
eitherway, I don't know where they were aiming each time on my truck... but the blinders worked! ;-)
I wish I could find a spot to mount them on my car!!!

NickGT
12-29-2002, 03:24 PM
how much did they cost ya???

Luke 96 T/A
12-29-2002, 07:20 PM
They were about $350 at the time I bought 'em... 3 years ago.. (Visions)