PDA

View Full Version : Best Eggs Benny???

chunger_11
03-07-2005, 10:09 AM
As the title says anyone know where in calgary to get good eggs benedict? The place i work has good stuff but they only have it every once a month, and sometimes a have a huge craving :D Theres a couple places on 17th that are pretty good but i havent really been anywhere else, any suggestions??

3g4me
03-07-2005, 04:04 PM
I personally like humptys. I went to this one place in Tofino, just some mom and pops dinner and they had the best eggs benny ive ever had in my life:drool: , but i forget the name.:dunno:

kiwi
03-07-2005, 04:37 PM
Moxies? :dunno:
lol, they have a good deal for the eggs benedict there... comes w/ a steak too =P

chunger_11
03-07-2005, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by 3g4me
I personally like humptys. I went to this one place in Tofino, just some mom and pops dinner and they had the best eggs benny ive ever had in my life:drool: , but i forget the name.:dunno:

Really???? i went there today and me and the lady had some eggs benny and it made her sick, i wasnt really impressed, maybe it was the location that i went to.

Ill have to try moxies they usually have pretty good food :thumbsup:

CBRComet
03-08-2005, 02:30 AM
try avenue diner on 8th ave beside saltlik. their eggs benny is really good, especially the smoked meat one.

chunger_11
03-08-2005, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by CBRComet
try avenue diner on 8th ave beside saltlik. their eggs benny is really good, especially the smoked meat one.

Sounds good, ill have to give it a try :thumbsup:

JordanEG6
03-08-2005, 05:27 PM
perkins has awesome eggs benedict, it comes with lotta stuff including pancakes. its awesome. :thumbsup:

D'z Nutz
03-08-2005, 07:40 PM
You know, I can't ever say that I've really tasted a bad eggs benedict, so picking a particularly good place would be difficult. I definitely like the ones at Perkins. Also, De Dutch on Memorial (near the Swiss Chalet/Boston Pizza) has a good one; instead of the english muffin, they use something like melba toast.

chunger_11
03-08-2005, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
You know, I can't ever say that I've really tasted a bad eggs benedict, so picking a particularly good place would be difficult. I definitely like the ones at Perkins. Also, De Dutch on Memorial (near the Swiss Chalet/Boston Pizza) has a good one; instead of the english muffin, they use something like melba toast.

Yeah its all in the hollandaise(sp?) sauce, bad sauce = bad eggs bennie

jdmakkord
03-08-2005, 10:02 PM
Moxie's steak bennedict is great, they have 3 or 4 different ones too.

JordanEG6
03-10-2005, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by jdmakkord
Moxie's steak bennedict is great, they have 3 or 4 different ones too.

that shit is gooood. had it at last weeks brunch :D

hampstor
03-18-2005, 08:33 PM
the all you can eat breakfast buffet at the golf course in airdrie (west side) has egg benedict .. i don't really care for eggs benedict but it was ok when i had it

chunger_11
03-21-2005, 11:28 AM
Ive had the stuff at perkins its pretty good, but i think for my next craving im gonna go to moxies sounds awesome :thumbsup:

kiwi
03-22-2005, 11:38 AM
mmm... I'm getting the egg's benny at Moxie's this Friday! Can't wait! hee hee :drool: :clap: :thumbsup:

celica girl
03-23-2005, 12:33 PM
The best I have ever had was at the Rimrock Hotel in Banff... but Moxies was still pretty good :)

scooby_dooby
03-23-2005, 12:59 PM
make your own bro, so easy, just boils some water in a pan, toss the eggs in for 3-5minutes, mix up a pack of the store bought packets, and fry some back bacon...mmm

i make eggs benny damn near every single week

chunger_11
03-23-2005, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by scooby_dooby
make your own bro, so easy, just boils some water in a pan, toss the eggs in for 3-5minutes, mix up a pack of the store bought packets, and fry some back bacon...mmm

i make eggs benny damn near every single week

sounds good except ive heard that most of the store bought hollandaise sauce is not very good, thats the only part that im worried about or else i would make it myself for sure :dunno:

chunger_11
03-23-2005, 01:07 PM
What brand of sauce do you use Scooby???

abyss
03-23-2005, 02:04 PM
why don't you just make your own hollandaise? It's probably just as fast as those packages, and there's only like 3 ingredients in it!

chunger_11
03-23-2005, 02:09 PM
Well im not much of a cook, and i work in a dining room and a couple of my cook buddies tell me that althought there are only a few ingredients it is hard to make good hollandaise sauce, something about making sure it doesnt break?? i dont know im not a chef :D

abyss
03-23-2005, 02:12 PM
you have to be careful not to cook the eggs, it really isn't that hard though, and there are recipes that do not require cooking so as to eliminate this potential for error. It seriously takes like 5 minutes to make it.

AG_Styles
03-23-2005, 09:33 PM
heh, i used to cook at moxie's for about a year. i know how to make all their egg benny's.

GQBalla
03-24-2005, 12:54 AM
lol the benny runs........:D lol

i like the egg bennys at Ricky's!!!

scooby_dooby
03-24-2005, 10:20 AM
i don't know what brand i use, i think safeway only has like one bramd, black or green pack??

i think the store bought stuff is really good, only the very best eggs benny I've had at a restaurant would be better, just add water and coo kfor like 5 minutes, perfect!

cooking the eggs is easy, fill the pan up with about an inch of water, boil it, add some salt and a tablespoon of vinegar if you have it(not neccessary, but it helps hold the eggs together), then drop the eggs into the boiling water one by one, careful not to break em, I usually put them in a cup, then slide them into the water, then just let em float around for 3-5minutes, and dry with papertowel.

Voila!

chunger_11
03-24-2005, 10:58 AM
K cool ill have to try making my own hollaindaise sauce, that was the only part that i didnt really know how to do, thanks guys

lam-boy
03-24-2005, 11:41 AM
haha jay, hollaindaise sauce sucks to make, i used to make it.
arm gets tired to shit stirring it.

Clever
03-24-2005, 03:17 PM
anybody here go to the Belmont? i like the Eggs Bennedict from there. probably the best place to nurse a hangover.

w3apon
03-24-2005, 03:38 PM
Break the Fast Hash (Nellie's) on 9th Ave near Cowboys has good Eggs Benny.

chunger_11
03-29-2005, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by lam-boy
haha jay, hollaindaise sauce sucks to make, i used to make it.
arm gets tired to shit stirring it.

Yeah Steve thats what i thought haha, oh well i guess ill have to wait till next bruch for Julie to make it for me :bigpimp: And had it at work this sunday on croissants(sp?) instead of english muffins and it was awesome :thumbsup:

KinetiK
04-11-2005, 09:39 PM
Victorias on 17th makes the best Eggs Benedict in Calgary in my humble opinion. Decent but not excellent service but the food is always good.

LongCity
07-28-2011, 08:03 PM
5 year and few month bump!
Anyways, any new places?
Only had them at two places in the city - Jacqueline Suzanne's and Cora's with JS slightly better when I had it.
Where do Diner Deluxe, Dairy Lane Cafe, Nellie's, etc, stack up against Cora's and JS?

mslbebiz
07-28-2011, 08:30 PM
Chez Francois in Canmore, best eggs benny ever. Also best crepes I've had. When my wife and I stayed in Canmore it was so good we at there almost every breakfast. LOTS of people from Calgary were making the drive for the food. It was that good.

austic
07-28-2011, 08:31 PM
Wildernest in Inglewood, find a nice sunny day and eat on the patio...simply amazing
they have a spolumbo's sausage one that is far better than any from Coras.

Hoagie
07-28-2011, 09:28 PM
Phil's on 16th Ave in motel village has good benny:drool:

JordanEG6
07-28-2011, 11:11 PM
Over Easy has good benny.

imhungry
07-28-2011, 11:39 PM
Surprised no one mentioned Cora's.
They have an amazing smoked salmon benedict wtih a huge side of fruit and potato wedges!

jsn
07-29-2011, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by LongCity
5 year and few month bump!
Anyways, any new places?
Only had them at two places in the city - Jacqueline Suzanne's and Cora's with JS slightly better when I had it.
Where do Diner Deluxe, Dairy Lane Cafe, Nellie's, etc, stack up against Cora's and JS?

Haven't been there in a few years, but when I used to go there, they had an awesome eggs benny

brokeass
07-29-2011, 08:57 AM
To be honest I kinda like Ricki's Benny, but Phil's is probably my favourite

LongCity
07-29-2011, 09:29 AM
No one has been to Dairy Lane?

Originally posted by jsn

Haven't been there in a few years, but when I used to go there, they had an awesome eggs benny

Where is there? Cora's?

shadowz
07-29-2011, 09:53 AM
Belmont Diner, by far the best Benny I have had, they serve it on a croissant with either Montreal Smoked meat, Salmon, Bison and I believe Proscuito is the last option. By far the best IMO

A790
07-29-2011, 09:56 AM
http://www.jacquelinesuzannes.ca/our-menu/

We've got a good benny selection! ;)

takkyu
07-29-2011, 10:12 AM
In addition to the Belmont Diner suggestion, Galaxie Diner (I think same owners?) have fantastic bennys as well.

l/l/rX
07-29-2011, 10:36 AM
The italian eggs benny's at the main dish in kensington are delicious!

dino_martini
07-29-2011, 10:58 AM
Wildernest Cafe in Inglewood.

Strider
07-29-2011, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by JordanEG6
Over Easy has good benny.

+1 for Over Easy on Edmonton Tr

GTSCeli
07-29-2011, 11:02 AM
Holy Grill on 10th Ave has the best eggs benny

While you're there try the bacon avacado crisp

MMMMMMMMMMMMMM

http://www.holygrill.ca/

BigDL
07-29-2011, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Strider

+1 for Over Easy on Edmonton Tr

Must agree as well, I love going to Over Easy.

ZEDGE
07-29-2011, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by imhungry
Surprised no one mentioned Cora's.
They have an amazing smoked salmon benedict wtih a huge side of fruit and potato wedges!

This, plus they just have awesome food period. :thumbsup:

jsn
07-29-2011, 05:47 PM

Where is there? Cora's?

Oops! Meant to type diner deluxe. They made a great eggs benny

boarderfatty
07-29-2011, 07:38 PM
If you are ever in Edmonton go to Barb & Ernie's, they have been around forever and are world famous

http://www.barbandernies.com/story.htm

LongCity
07-30-2011, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by boarderfatty
If you are ever in Edmonton go to Barb & Ernie's, they have been around forever and are world famous

http://www.barbandernies.com/story.htm

I'm actually transferring down to U of A for school this fall so I will keep that in mind.

boarderfatty
07-30-2011, 05:36 PM

I'm actually transferring down to U of A for school this fall so I will keep that in mind.

It's actually really close to the U of A as well, a 5 or 10 minute bus ride.

LongCity
08-21-2011, 03:54 PM
Checked out Dairy Lane Cafe this morning. The most expensive eggs benny I've had in town at $15. Usually find them for around $13 ($2 - not a big deal but just to mention). It's good for food just to eat but if you want to enjoy it, it's not the place. Hollandaise sauces was terrible - no flavour whatsoever. It's pretty much just goo for texture in your mouth. The back bacon was also really thin. Have any of you guys tried this place?

Guillermo
08-21-2011, 04:07 PM
I tried going to Dairy Lane once at like 8 am on a Saturday, and ever one of their 6 or 8 tables was full. We asked to sit on the patio, and the waitress told us we couldn't because our food would get cold. (LOL, why not listen to the customer's requests instead of telling them how things have to be.) She said it would be like an hour wait, but didn't even offer to put us on the waiting list, so we left and went somewhere else. It's a 20 minute drive for me to get there, but I won't be going back because frankly there are many other breakfast restaurants and it's not worth the risk for me to drive across town only to find they don't have any tables.

Dairy Lane really needs to increase the size of their dining room and improve the attitude of their wait staff.

EDIT: and LongCity, don't feel bad for pointing out how overpriced their eggs benny is. It might only be $2, but $2 is $2 and it adds up. Restaurant prices are out of control in this city, and we have every right to complain about it.

ramminghard
08-21-2011, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by shadowz
Belmont Diner, by far the best Benny I have had, they serve it on a croissant with either Montreal Smoked meat, Salmon, Bison and I believe Proscuito is the last option. By far the best IMO :werd:

msommers
08-22-2011, 10:22 AM
The green one at Avenue Diner. Fuck I'm hungry now.

Guillermo
08-22-2011, 10:41 AM
Eat Eat! and 99th ave cafe do them pretty well, but then again i'm not an expert in eggs benny.

zipdoa
08-22-2011, 11:03 AM
Cadence in Bowness - Weekends only - Classic (backbacon) and Smoked Salmon 8.5/10

Traders @ Marriott DT - Breakfast Buffet (wkdays & sat before 9am, sunday before 1PM) - Garden vegetable/mushroom/ham 7.5/10

Nicks Steak House (beside mcmahon) - Breakfast buffett Sunday - Variety, 7/10

Rickys @ Crowfoot - Chorizo/Maple Bacon/Ham - 6.5/10

BlkWdwPrelude
09-10-2011, 10:54 PM
Blue Diner just opened up recent on Stephen Ave. use to be another breakfast place awhile back.

There Benny's were worth trying at least once the kicker was the hollandaise sauce there's was pretty good.

LongCity
09-11-2011, 12:20 AM
Blue Diner if I recall is owned by the same people of Dairy Lane. If they're making the same egg's benny I will not be going.

msommers
09-12-2011, 12:09 AM
I just heard that Avenue Diner is closed?! What gives - they better be opening again, I want their eggs benny! Serious it was the best I've ever had and so unual!

clem24
09-19-2011, 11:35 AM
I make my own eggs benny. My wife loves them and she agrees it's pretty much better than anything from a restaurant, and it isn't all that hard to make.

To poach the egg, put some salt and vinegar in the water and make sure to never, ever let the water boil. Every 30 secs after the top of the yolk turns opaque white, lightly poke it to see how done it is (and how you like it). Fish it out onto a plate as soon as it's done to your liking. Usually no more than 4 mins or so if you like runny like me.

Pop the english muffin into the toaster while the egg is cooking and a few seconds on each side of the back bacon on a separate hot pan. Easy peasy.

For sauce, I've tried making my own - it's very simple but more annoying (really just egg yolk, butter and lemon juice), so I prefer store bought from powder. The best one I've had so far? Knorr... It's full of MSG, butter, and milk and it's freakin' delicious!!! Comes in a red package. Actually a even better alternative is Western Family (for price/goodness ratio):

http://www.westernfamily.com/

I have no clue where to buy this in Calgary.. Only bought them from the US and dirt cheap too (33 cents vs. almost $2 for the Knorr).

There are other brands but of all the ones I've tried, none stack up to Knorr and Western Fam.

Assemble muffin/bacon/egg, top off with sauce, and dust on dried dill flakes and fresh ground pepper. 10-15 minutes TOPS.

[EDIT] I'd also like to add: Don't cheap out on the egg. The best tasting egg I've found to date that don't cost an arm and a leg are the organic brown free run eggs from Sobey's (about $4/dozen). They yolk is orange yellow and absolutely full of flavour!!!

CapnCrunch
09-19-2011, 11:50 AM
Nobody has mentioned Notable yet? Awesome Benny's there.

Mibz
09-19-2011, 12:09 PM
I just came here to say that every time I see this thread title I think it says "Best Eggs Benyl" and it annoys the crap out of me :P