PDA

View Full Version : Chevy Cobolt! Thoughts and Opinions

Mikey_008
03-07-2005, 05:50 PM
What do you people think of it? Personally I kinda like the look. It's basically the Cavalier, but different name and design! Sorta has the RSX look to it!
But i still wouldn't buy it!

http://www.autoweek.nl/images/480/4872.jpg

http://www.theautochannel.com/F/news/2004/09/14/224980.2-lg.jpg

civic_stylez
03-07-2005, 05:55 PM
:thumbsup: for a chevy car, id much rather drive that than a cav or a sunfire.

bspot
03-07-2005, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Mikey_008
It's basically the Cavalier, but different name and design!

:whipped:

No! Bad bad bad!

This car has zero to do with a j-body. Its gotten awesome reviews so far, from pictures i've seen parts of the interior are pretty cheap looking, but no suprise for the price. Oh yeah.. I happen to have one on order ;)

Mikey_008
03-07-2005, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by bspot

:whipped:

No! Bad bad bad!

This car has zero to do with a j-body. Its gotten awesome reviews so far, from pictures i've seen parts of the interior are pretty cheap looking, but no suprise for the price. Oh yeah.. I happen to have one on order ;)

How much do they go for? It's BASICALLY the Cavalier replacement, but with a different name! I didnt say it is the Cavalier. (ie. Integra=RSX and Neon=2.0SX) GM I heard is dis-continuing the Cavalier!

benyl
03-07-2005, 06:40 PM
I read that they stole the VW GTi suspension from the 90s. Should handle good.

brav85
03-07-2005, 07:35 PM
you get what you pay for... but not a bad little car just not me

BokCh0y
03-07-2005, 07:37 PM
lots of stuff about this car in last months car and driver or the month before that. anyways it got good reviews. good looks, good handling, and you can get it supercharged too. :hitit:

bspot
03-07-2005, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Mikey_008

How much do they go for? It's BASICALLY the Cavalier replacement, but with a different name! I didnt say it is the Cavalier. (ie. Integra=RSX and Neon=2.0SX) GM I heard is dis-continuing the Cavalier!

Well I am getting the SS Supercharged. The only options available are sunroof and onstar/side airbags. (they include leather/AC/power everything).

The sticker was $27,125 with a sunroof and I'm paying about $23,600 because I get a big discount because of who I work for plus a couple incentives. I'll let all you guys know if they end up sucking ;)

DaRockwilder
03-07-2005, 10:08 PM
I'm also thinking of buying a Cobalt SS. Not really sure if I can afford it yet tho. I might wait for a slightly used one, or just lease it.

JordanEG6
03-08-2005, 09:48 AM
hmmm....i dont know, im not much into domestics. however that looks way better than the cav. but i would definitely not buy one.

Rockski
03-08-2005, 11:17 AM
better body design then the cav, but i hate those tail lights

cycosis
03-08-2005, 11:31 AM
:werd: tails arnt the best but its a good step up form the cavs and sunfires. now if only dodge would lsiten about tehir charger....:barf:

Rufus``
03-08-2005, 11:52 AM
27000 for one with a sunroof? shiet. buy an RSX for the same cash, and it comes with everything but a type-s engine. overpriced shitbox.

bspot
03-08-2005, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Rufus``
27000 for one with a sunroof? shiet. buy an RSX for the same cash, and it comes with everything but a type-s engine. overpriced shitbox.

leather seats
Supercharged 200whp engine, 200 ft lbs torque (crank for the tq)
A/C
Power everything
Mp3 deck
Pioneer sound system with a 10" sub

I dunno.. I just don't see a regular RSX comparing. I can see someone choosing the RSX over this car based on reputations, but calling a car you've never seen, sat in, or driven a 'shitbox' is pretty lame.

eblend
03-08-2005, 05:12 PM

hum..no thanks rsx are ugly, i liked the integras, but ohh well

Kirbs17
03-08-2005, 05:15 PM
that wing is...interesting, but other than that, looks like an alright car. Id drive it if i had to.

BumpinTalon
03-08-2005, 05:24 PM

fuck off. the base model RSX is garbage. I drove one and it was terrible, handled like shit, transmission felt like a 1992 Civic, the clutch had no feel to it, the engine felt unresponsive and had an unattractive groan to it, the brakes were okay but the car was very slow. the interior felt solid but I didn't like the design.
the Cobalt does not suck. the motor got rave reviews from Sport Compact Car, it is under-rated. it makes 200whp, so more like 240-250 flywheel hp, the car costs much less then a Type S and is faster and better looking, you can get the car stock with a Quaife LSD and Recaro seats coming later this year, GM's reliability is steadily improving, and if this thing handles like the Ion I drove then the grip and prowess isn't bad either. the steering might not be great but whatever, the base model RSX I drove didn't feel good at all either. and, oh yeah, the fully optioned Cobalt SS costs around $9k less then a Type S.
believe it or not, Honda loses more and more ground every year to cars like the Ion, Cobalt, SRT-4, and so on. they are not targeting a performance segment anymore, because the RSX is on its way out and the S2000 is definitely done for. they are going to be a grandpa brand within seven years. just wait.

bspot
03-08-2005, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by BumpinTalon

fuck off. the base model RSX is garbage. I drove one and it was terrible, handled like shit, transmission felt like a 1992 Civic, the clutch had no feel to it, the engine felt unresponsive and had an unattractive groan to it, the brakes were okay but the car was very slow. the interior felt solid but I didn't like the design.
the Cobalt does not suck. the motor got rave reviews from Sport Compact Car, it is under-rated. it makes 200whp, so more like 240-250 flywheel hp, the car costs much less then a Type S and is faster and better looking, you can get the car stock with a Quaife LSD and Recaro seats coming later this year, GM's reliability is steadily improving, and if this thing handles like the Ion I drove then the grip and prowess isn't bad either. the steering might not be great but whatever, the base model RSX I drove didn't feel good at all either. and, oh yeah, the fully optioned Cobalt SS costs around $9k less then a Type S.
believe it or not, Honda loses more and more ground every year to cars like the Ion, Cobalt, SRT-4, and so on. they are not targeting a performance segment anymore, because the RSX is on its way out and the S2000 is definitely done for. they are going to be a grandpa brand within seven years. just wait.

:werd:

Hahah... pwn3d by BumpinTalon :rofl:

calgarygts
03-09-2005, 10:38 AM
With just some springs this car would look great, and it's on par with the SRT4 for bang for your buck performance. I've never seen the interior but I like it. Very good move for chev.

Rockski
03-09-2005, 10:58 AM
id think that it would also look a little more swank with a more agressive front end

the fin is very "interesting":nut:

a nice paint job, body kit, and a tail light mod and it wouldnt look too bad at all :thumbsup:

Aleks
03-09-2005, 11:02 AM
Cobalt is NOT faster than a type S in any of the review's I've read. It would be a driver's race. I don't understand why it is that every time some new car comes out it's compared to the Type S.
HP numbers don't tell you the whole story. My car makes less power than the Cobalt accoding to the magazines and I can guarantee you it wouldn't even be a close race.

Originally posted by BumpinTalon
[B]

it makes 200whp, so more like 240-250 flywheel hp, the car costs much less then a Type S and is faster and better looking,

bspot
03-09-2005, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Aleks
Cobalt is NOT faster than a type S in any of the review's I've read. It would be a driver's race. I don't understand why it is that every time some new car comes out it's compared to the Type S.
HP numbers don't tell you the whole story. My car makes less power than the Cobalt accoding to the magazines and I can guarantee you it wouldn't even be a close race.

I'll show you a time slip from an Ion RL, bone stock, that hit 14.5. Cobalts will be lighter than RL's because of less doors.

Aleks
03-09-2005, 11:52 AM
No show me a slip from a Cobalt, I read it weighs just under 3000 lbs. I've seen 14.9 - 15.3 for the Cobalt. That's rite on par with a Type S.
It really doesn't matter though, I don't understand why car enthusiasts can't just accept all cars for what they are. Cobalt will be leaps and bounds better than the current Jbody. It will be a good car. The redline is a good car so is a Type S, SRT-4, STi...etc. I would drive any of them as a daily driver.

heavyD
03-09-2005, 11:54 AM

Actually from what I have read the Cobalt is quicker than an RSX typeS. The lowest clocked 0-60 for a typeS I have seen is 0-60 in 6.2 secs, Road & Track clocked a Cobalt SS in 0-60 in 5.8 seconds wich is WRX & SRT4 territory.

I actually don't mind the Cobalt SS and I usually hate anything that comes out of the bow tie company.

Aleks
03-09-2005, 12:08 PM
I was actually talking 1/4 mile not 0-60 as I don't believe that is a true representation of how quick a car is in most cases. Regardless the SS in a nice car. The good news is in all this is that car manufacturers are actually starting to give us more options like FI straight out of the box! :thumbsup:

bspot
03-09-2005, 01:16 PM
I was actually talking 1/4 mile not 0-60 as I don't believe that is a true representation of how quick a car is in most cases. Regardless the SS in a nice car. The good news is in all this is that car manufacturers are actually starting to give us more options like FI straight out of the box! :thumbsup:

Agreed, even if you hate chev's, its a good thing to have more competition to force the companies you do like to try provide a better car for a better price.

ZorroAMG
03-09-2005, 01:37 PM
It's a decent looking car for it's class and definitely a step (or 5) up from the Cavalier.

Unfortunately it will always have the stigma of being the jbody replacement, like the SRT-4 is with the neon. It sucks but that's what people will usually think.

It's got impressive power and should be a fun car to drive if they did a good job on suspension design, congrats on the purchase Bspot :)

benyl
03-09-2005, 01:38 PM
I don't understand why it is that every time some new car comes out it's compared to the Type S.

well, probably 3 reasons.

1. It is a honda. This is a honda loving board. This board also has honda haters, so it is inevitable.
2. The car itself is touted to be the "shit" by everyone who drives one.
3. logical comparision for the segment as it is one of the better cars out there.

We should be seeing Cobalt vs SRT4 comparisons. I hope there will be aftermarket support from Chevy like Mopar has done with the SRT4.

bspot
03-09-2005, 01:46 PM
Thanks Zorro!

And benyl, yes there will be staged kits. I think due to the fact that SRT-4's are a turbo setup, they will ultimately kick the shit out of an SS when all is said and done.

GoChris
03-09-2005, 02:14 PM
looks like a decent car, should be fun and supercharged is cool for a nice little car like that.

i wish people would get off the rsx bandwagon so much, yes the rsx is a nice car, but it comes up in every god damn thread about something else. its overpriced and underpowered.

4CylFiero
03-09-2005, 06:10 PM

Somethign that makes 200 HP (undrrated from everything i read, like the SRT-4) and 200 Torque and weighs maybe 400 pounds more then your car when fully loaded, with an LSD should beat yours in my opinion. I dynoed 153 HP and 148.8 ft lbs and i beat RSX type S's farely easy. So i would think a colbalt could do it.

Kinda glad i didn't by Racing hart C-5's considering they now come on the Colbalt SS.

Aleks
03-09-2005, 10:37 PM
I guess the numbers in my sig are a bit misleading as they are mustang dyno. :burnout: SRT-4s would be a better race NOT the Cobalts.

4CylFiero
03-10-2005, 12:50 AM
How much HP do you think you have then with corrections factored in,

Does anyone know what kinda of dyno they use at that lightspeed industries place in Red Deer.

Aleks
03-10-2005, 08:26 AM
A conservative estimate would be 220 hp and 200 tq at the crank. I will run the 1/4 this spring, but with this setup (and good driving) the car should be able to hit low to mid 14s in Calgary.

4CylFiero
03-10-2005, 09:54 AM
A conservative estimate would be 220 hp and 200 tq at the crank. I will run the 1/4 this spring, but with this setup (and good driving) the car should be able to hit low to mid 14s in Calgary.

What the hell any time i looked up correction factors on the internet conserning cars, it was possible for a 350HP vehicle to be out 75 ish without correction.

Your claiming 55 HP out, sorry im a thrown of by that, the way i looked at it is a stock GS has what 140HP for your year or so i think, that would be about 115 WHP, if you consider that 8PSI usually adds up to a 50% increase in HP that would result in a 172.5 HP at the wheels, Im sure you have a few bolt ons to back this up.

Sorry i don't mean to be rude im just curious I've only been to 2 dyno sessions in my life, one for my car and one for a camaro.

Aleks
03-10-2005, 12:06 PM
I went to a dyno session with dc5ab club. A stockish Type S put down 150 whp on that dyno.

http://www.dc5ab.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=10&t=5907&

I have run a Type R and it was not close, 328is chipped, not close, Anyways this is off topic now as this thread is suppose to be about Cobalts.
Come out to race city this spring and we can run there if you'd like

cookbob
03-10-2005, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by 4CylFiero
How much HP do you think you have then with corrections factored in,

Does anyone know what kinda of dyno they use at that lightspeed industries place in Red Deer.

Lightspeed Innovations in Red Deer has a Mustang dyno.

4CylFiero
03-10-2005, 03:37 PM
Ok now im even more interested in these correction factors, so mine WHP is without correction factors so it's more like Aleks. Anyone know a link i can look up to understand this stuff.

4CylFiero
03-10-2005, 03:39 PM
I went to a dyno session with dc5ab club. A stockish Type S put down 150 whp on that dyno.

http://www.dc5ab.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=10&t=5907&

I have run a Type R and it was not close, 328is chipped, not close, Anyways this is off topic now as this thread is suppose to be about Cobalts.
Come out to race city this spring and we can run there if you'd like

No prob I'd like some domestic vs honda at the track, when i went i always got paired with v-8 monsters or 18 sec runners nothing in between other then one cavy. My car will likely see insurance in June once all the gravel is gone and im working again. Damn school it cramps the whole car enthusaist thing.

carguy
03-12-2005, 10:46 PM
cobalt SS looks good in my opinion. Too bad it wasn't on display at this years car and truck show.

Aleks
03-13-2005, 03:27 AM
There really are no correction factors. The reason I used a mustang dyno is because it's better for tuning. You can load the rollers (ie your wheels spin against a resistance in the rollers). Dyno numbers vary widely and the true test is car's performance at the track. Typically, (a few members have proven this) here in Calgary the mustang dynos read about 10-15 % lower than dynojets.

Ok now im even more interested in these correction factors, so mine WHP is without correction factors so it's more like Aleks. Anyone know a link i can look up to understand this stuff.

TurboMedic
03-13-2005, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by carguy
cobalt SS looks good in my opinion. Too bad it wasn't on display at this years car and truck show.

Yes it was, they just didn't allow you to sit in it (go figure, tha SLK55 was nice to get into though......)....I thought it was ugly, and wouldn't touch it because resale is gonna bomb on it, and there are gonna be half a mil of them driving in calgary....you can dress up cheap cars all you want to look fast/sporty/luxurious, but in the end you still got a cheap car....the SRT4 IS a neon, the the cobalt IS another cavelier, the ION IS still a saturn, regardless of the shit they bolt up on it......and before I get flamed for what I drive, the GTI IS just a golf......

Aleks
04-17-2005, 04:57 PM

Somethign that makes 200 HP (undrrated from everything i read, like the SRT-4) and 200 Torque and weighs maybe 400 pounds more then your car when fully loaded, with an LSD should beat yours in my opinion. I dynoed 153 HP and 148.8 ft lbs and i beat RSX type S's farely easy. So i would think a colbalt could do it.

Kinda glad i didn't by Racing hart C-5's considering they now come on the Colbalt SS.

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I wanted to show I wasn't just talking out of my ass. I just went to race city and Beat the stock SRT-4s pretty bad. I ran 14.40 @ 99 mph whist the stock SRTs ran low 15s, hi 14s.

4CylFiero
04-18-2005, 11:58 PM
LOL good job, man i hate school or i could fund my ambitions, gotta uphold the domestic rep what ever is left of it.

nice rims BTW

Idratherbsidewayz
04-19-2005, 08:37 PM

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I wanted to show I wasn't just talking out of my ass. I just went to race city and Beat the stock SRT-4s pretty bad. I ran 14.40 @ 99 mph whist the stock SRTs ran low 15s, hi 14s.

Im completely shocked at your mph. How the hell are you getting such a high mph with such relatively low whp. How much does an integra weigh? Can't be too much different than my 240. I have RWD and 216whp 213tq (on lightspeeds mustang dyno) and 92mph was my highest.

I think your hp numbers might be reading REALLY low.

Aleks
04-19-2005, 09:21 PM
It's mad skills. JK. My car weighs around 2600 lbs. Don't 240s weigh close to 3000? I dynoed on a Techmotion dyno. :dunno: so I don't know how that compares to the one you went on. It could be a lot lower I guess.

http://www.dc5ab.com/forums/uploads/post-10-1106971030.jpg

Some Type S guys with way less torque than me and about 10 more whp ran 98 mph traps that nite (same dyno as me)

Idratherbsidewayz
04-19-2005, 09:46 PM
Mine weighs 2705lbs. 2885lbs with me in it. Definitely quite wierd. Maybe I magically lose power in 3rd.

Still, almost 100mph with power like that seems wierd. The physics of it is blowing my mind. Maybe Honda guys have much shorter gear ratios. Ive heard that 240s have quite long ones...

Aleks
04-19-2005, 10:02 PM
1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th R final
3.230 1.900 1.269 0.966 0.714 3.000 4.266

They are definatelly taller than GSR and Type R tranny since I have an LS.

I don't know man. Short of you going on that dyno or me going on the one you went on I wouldn't know. Maybe it IS the power numbers...I know I was told this dyno read 13 % lower than dynojet.

Idratherbsidewayz
04-19-2005, 10:11 PM
Where is the dyno you went on?

Aleks
04-19-2005, 10:14 PM
Pmed you instead of cluttering this old thread :D

Unknown303
12-19-2005, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
It's a decent looking car for it's class and definitely a step (or 5) up from the Cavalier.

Unfortunately it will always have the stigma of being the jbody replacement, like the SRT-4 is with the neon. It sucks but that's what people will usually think.

It's got impressive power and should be a fun car to drive if they did a good job on suspension design, congrats on the purchase Bspot :)

Can't believe a remark like this. The SRT-4 is based off the same frame as a neon. Making it a neon. While the Cobalt is a completely different frame from the discontinues cavaliers. Just wanted to put that in there. I drive a cavalier but it makes me cry, wish i had a cobalt.

Sharpie
12-19-2005, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303

Can't believe a remark like this. The SRT-4 is based off the same frame as a neon. Making it a neon. While the Cobalt is a completely different frame from the discontinues cavaliers. Just wanted to put that in there. I drive a cavalier but it makes me cry, wish i had a cobalt.
Thanks for bumping a 8 month old thread:rolleyes:

Nissanaddict
12-21-2005, 02:01 PM
To add my opinion, I drove a Pursuit (Pontiac version of the balt) and I didn't like it much. It wasn't very comfortable, ergonomically shitty, and although I drove a base (140hp) I preferred driving my old 90hp Corsica.

DC2
12-26-2005, 01:33 AM
i drive these at work all the time. the 140hp ones.

and than last month i drove the SS and wow. its good.

it was in edmonton but within 2 cityblocks i managed to get up to 120 to 130km/h.. and turning right i popped it into second and let it go and the tire was spinning like crazzy, mass amount of smoke everywhere!
:hitit:

but i'd chose a type s over it anyday