PDA

View Full Version : Absinthe in Calgary?

spike98
03-08-2005, 03:15 AM
I am looking for a bottle of Absinthe in calgary. I have heard rumors of it being for sale at one or two liquor stores. I am looking for the real stuff not the stuff that claims to be Absinthe with out the presence of thujone (the active ingredient in wormwood)

Can anyone help?

ca2p3r
03-08-2005, 09:11 AM
i know the liquor store beside london drugs in westhills carrys the real stuff...

sputnik
03-08-2005, 09:22 AM
Thujone isnt illegal in Canada. Most absinthe brands in Canada contain it.

The hard part is finding a good absinthe knife for adding the sugar and water.

Fuji
03-08-2005, 10:00 AM
We've been everywhere. ALl the absinthe in Calgary is synthetic. The wormwood content is next to nil. Still fun to drink though. You can find it at Royal Liquor on 17th Ave. they have a few kinds

rip
03-08-2005, 10:12 AM
I remember a few years ago when a couple buddies and I heard about this stuff we went to like every liquor store in Edmonton looking for it.

We finally found some and started hitting that shit ( not with the burnt sugar) and i must admit it tastes like garbage straight, mind you so doesn anything that is 70% alcohol.

I have tried a few of the different brands and none of them have made me hallucinate or chop of my ear like Van Gogh. It does give you a different feeling drunk though.

Kirbs17
03-08-2005, 12:25 PM
the Ironhorse liquor store in Airdrie has (or had from the last time I bought it) the authentic stuff. And if they dont have it on the shelf any more, the staff is very cooperative about bringing anything in.

googe
03-08-2005, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

you sure about that? i thought it was illegal to have any more than an extremely small amount of thujone or something

1badPT
03-08-2005, 12:53 PM
Many studies suspect that it isn't even the thujone that causes the high of Absinthe - but rather the higher than normal alchohol content. Most Absinthes are 60% or higher where most liquors top out at 40%

Just what I've heard though, I've never had absinthe. Would anyone who's actually had it recommend it - and if so what brand is good?

sputnik
03-08-2005, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by googe

you sure about that? i thought it was illegal to have any more than an extremely small amount of thujone or something

Some friends of mine brought this stuff back from BC for me.

http://hillsabsinth.com/faq.html

googe
03-08-2005, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by 1badPT
Many studies suspect that it isn't even the thujone that causes the high of Absinthe - but rather the higher than normal alchohol content. Most Absinthes are 60% or higher where most liquors top out at 40%

Just what I've heard though, I've never had absinthe. Would anyone who's actually had it recommend it - and if so what brand is good?

well if youve had 151, it has higher alcohol content and it doesnt make you hallucinate

and yeah after some research, the real stuff isnt in canada:
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/WeirdNews/2003/04/13/63919.html

we have a legal limit on allowable thujone levels that is too low to care about it sounds like

R-Audi
03-08-2005, 01:35 PM
Willow Park Liquor Store by Southcentre has it

Kirbs17
03-08-2005, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by 1badPT

If your looking to drink piss. It tastes similar to what (I imagine) licking your toilet bowl clean tastes like. Save yourself the $30-50.

Ichigo
03-08-2005, 07:42 PM
smells like mouthwash.. lol

gggunit
03-08-2005, 07:45 PM
the stuff we have in canada is without wormwood.. the stuff you get in the Czech rep comes with wormwood thats the ingredints that makes you see things.. its way over rated though.

Nissanaddict
03-09-2005, 12:48 AM
I'll pick up a bottle next time I'm in Europe then...the stuff here although while tasty (I don't like hill's much though, I prefer...some other brand) I dont' recommend getting drunk off it...maybe if it had the original levels of wormwood I would....you know what though? A quarter shot glass with sugar and water (level the glass with water) drank over the course of 15 minutes, kills any cold you may have.

T-Dubbs
03-09-2005, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by gggunit
the stuff we have in canada is without wormwood.. the stuff you get in the Czech rep comes with wormwood thats the ingredints that makes you see things.. its way over rated though.
willow park liquor store (main one in willow park) sells it, i know because i unpacked it tonite, and yes it has wormwood in it

T-Dubbs
03-09-2005, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by ca2p3r
i know the liquor store beside london drugs in westhills carrys the real stuff...
acaully no one in north america sells the REAL stuff, because it is illegal. BUT some select few stores carry the closest thing to the real thing.

bksze
03-09-2005, 01:11 AM
I carry two different types of Absinthe (Franklin Mall Liquor Stop <-- shameless plug) however I can't verify if there is thujone for certain, however when I go to my store tomorrow, I can definitely check and let you know.

googe
03-09-2005, 01:31 AM
10mg per kg is the legal limit for wormwood/thujone, the stuff that "has wormwood in it" has that much...which apparently isnt enough to do anything ("real" stuff had around 40)

spike98
03-09-2005, 02:11 AM
You can order the strong stuff at 100mg/kg but its like 60 for 0.5L. Also customs might not like that either.

spike98
03-09-2005, 02:11 AM
You can order the strong stuff at 100mg/kg but its like 60 for 0.5L. Also customs might not like that either.

ca2p3r
03-09-2005, 09:14 AM
nah, i really think u can get the "real stuff" in canada

the circular bottles. green liquid...

same stuff my buddys mom brought back for me from amsterdam!

gggunit
03-09-2005, 12:37 PM
nah, i really think u can get the &quot;real stuff&quot; in canada

Even the stuff in amsterdam doesnt have the same levels of wormwood as the original.. you have to go to prague or outskirts of it to get the old school stuff .. not even tourist area's of prauge carry the real good stuff... you gotta hit up the little villages.. its still over rated.

Ichigo
03-09-2005, 04:28 PM
I forgot i had a bottle of this sitting on my shelf.. It's a square bottle and says it has wormwood.. but it doesn't say how much is in it..

"Produced and bottled in the Czech Republic"

It also says:

"Represented by/Represente' par: Hill's Liquere (North America) inc. Vancouver BC, Canada V5S 4M7
www.hillsabsinth.com"

They represent this in Canada.. So I guess it's not illegal. But then again I might have the watered down stuff. ^_^

Phy
03-09-2005, 05:07 PM
^ I'd bet on it. That's the 10mg/kg stuff. Any psychoactive effect you'd see from it is probably gonna be psychosomatic combined with the hefty alcohol content.

When I was working at the Willow, Hills and Absente (which is produced using a near-cousin to wormwood) was all they carried for absinthe.

qmf
03-09-2005, 05:33 PM
I have 500ml, from the czech rep. pm if interested

A_3
03-09-2005, 07:04 PM
I've done the real stuff brought in from my buddies brother after he went back packing in europe. Given I went hunting for "fishies" in the hottub and thought some ones hair was on fire. It's not that great, everyone regretted it after, it's rough rough shit.

3g4me
03-10-2005, 04:22 PM
nah, i really think u can get the &quot;real stuff&quot; in canada

I know where to get it here in alberta...:thumbsup:

p.s. the good shit aint anywhere near Praha. And wormwood isnt illegal in Canada, you can buy it in bulk from your local hemp shop.

sputnik
03-10-2005, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by 3g4me

I know where to get it here in alberta...:thumbsup:

So were you planning on saying where to get it?

3g4me
03-10-2005, 04:33 PM
^:D Ya sure go to Crowsnest pass, at a liquor store called Frank liquor store,the owner 's a Czech guy and he buy's cases of it. Not too expensive either like the watered down shit you buy at willow park.:thumbsup: Im allways down there as i have a cabin p there and im probably gonna be up there at the end of the month if anybody wants me to pick them up a bottle.

T-Dubbs
03-10-2005, 04:43 PM
at willow park, i think we carry 3 different types of absinth

spike98
03-10-2005, 04:49 PM
^:D Ya sure go to Crowsnest pass, at a liquor store called Frank liquor store,the owner 's a Czech guy and he buy's cases of it. Not too expensive either like the watered down shit you buy at willow park.:thumbsup: Im allways down there as i have a cabin p there and im probably gonna be up there at the end of the month if anybody wants me to pick them up a bottle.

How much for a bottle?

3g4me
03-10-2005, 04:52 PM
Cant quite remember, im thinkin around $40, ill double check. This drink totally screwed with me last time i drank it.

spike98
03-10-2005, 05:13 PM
Cant quite remember, im thinkin around $40, ill double check. This drink totally screwed with me last time i drank it.

Well i will take a bottle for sure. How much is in a bottle? 0.5L 0.75L?

3g4me
03-10-2005, 05:15 PM
It's a round bottle, ill keep you posted, i have the bottle at home, im at work right now.

bksze
03-10-2005, 07:34 PM
Alrite, called my rep and found out the following.

I carry two kinds of Absinthe. One which is called Absinthe and the other one which is called Hill's Absinthe. Both kinds are made in the Czech Republic and both kinds contain thujone, which is completely legal in Canada but illegal in the US.

The regular one costs $47.95 and Hill's costs $59.95 GST and deposit included. This is for the 700mL bottle at my store. They are the same product however Hill's carries with it a certain prestige as it is brewed somewhere special (I was told some famous old castle but cannot verify that fact)

All absinthe coming from the Czech republic will contain thujone. It is the French absinthe that does not contain thujone. The effect of this liquor (thujone content) is more psychological rather than anything. The high alcoholic content induces a so called "high" rather quickly thus creating the magical aura around absinthe. In reality, you'll be greatly inebriated before you feel the effects of the thujone.

If you are looking for the "real" stuff, with 40mg of thujone in it. I can not confirm that it actually exists, however I can confirm that no one in Alberta can legally resell it. This is because the absinthes that are available from AGLC contain ~10mg of thujone.

qmf
03-11-2005, 12:53 PM
I brought back 3 kinds of absinth from czech when i was there, A bottle of green, red, and yellow absinth. If you can get the yellow one, it will mess with you the most, has i think 35mg of thujone(sp)........

3g4me
03-11-2005, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by qmf
I brought back 3 kinds of absinth from czech when i was there, A bottle of green, red, and yellow absinth. If you can get the yellow one, it will mess with you the most, has i think 35mg of thujone(sp)........

Sure does man.:thumbsup: I couldnt stand that red one though.:barf:

hammock
03-30-2005, 05:05 PM
I've got a bottle I brought back from the Czech Republic sitting on my bookshelf waiting for a special night to go crazy. :nut:

The last time I drank this stuff was one of the weirdest nights I can recall.

pyro
03-30-2005, 09:25 PM
just got back from europe like hmm 3 hours ago :D and i bought absinthe that has the actual wormwood in it and its 100% i also got another that was 70% i paid like 36 euro for both :D

spike98
03-31-2005, 01:14 AM
damn pyro that stuff it crazy, i cracked and order some off the net and it should be here soon, its the stuff with 70% alcohol and 200mg/l of thujone

it should be pretty good

DarkDream
03-31-2005, 03:26 AM
Ummm wouldn't 100% alochol kill you??? Isn't rubbing alcohol 100%??

pyro
03-31-2005, 12:56 PM
ya thats what i thought but the guy who sold it said that it was fine as long as u dont do more than 2 shots of it. he said after the first shot u start to really hallucinate and by the 2nd it gets really bad any more of it he said would make u get really sick. i started drinking the 70% last night and it taste like black lickrish (sp) but it didnt really make me halluciante kinda a dissapointment but its definently a diffrent kind of drunk so least it was diffrent, cant wait to break into the good stuff tonight:D

GQBalla
03-31-2005, 01:11 PM
oh man that shit is deadly!!

i remember some buddies brought the real shit from europe or something and when i was taking shots of it it was a completly different drunk and it was wiered because i was kinda hallucinating but not much juss things were like shifting and stuff

sputnik
03-31-2005, 01:12 PM
are you guys drinking it straight? or mixing it with water and sugar?

Phy
03-31-2005, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by DarkDream
Ummm wouldn't 100% alochol kill you??? Isn't rubbing alcohol 100%??

A. Depends on what kind.

B. Rubbing alcohol is diluted. The kind you get in the pharmacy is 70%, or you can ask for it special and get 99% (good for cleaning electronics and as an acrylic paint solvent).

C. Anyway, rubbing alcohol is denatured isopropyl alcohol. (Denatured means they put stuff in it to make it even more nasty.) The one you can drink and get away with it is non-denatured ethanol. If you synthesize it in a lab, so that there's next to no impurities, you can drink it at 100% just fine.

pyro
03-31-2005, 02:10 PM
are you guys drinking it straight? or mixing it with water and sugar?
ya ur suppose to drink it straight like a shot, mixing with water will just make it weaker and ur supposed to use sugar in the 100% to make it sweeter. in the 70% its already sweetend but u can still use sugar in it, tastes better. like the way u do it is to put the spoon on top of a shot glasss and put a sugar cube on it, then pour the absinthe over it and light it on fire then blow it out and shoot

spike98
03-31-2005, 02:20 PM
YAY got my bottle today and i can say i am pretty scared. The bottle looks like it was bottled in the 1920's looks real old and classic. We are drinking it tonight so i will post to you what happens.

Hope this isn't my last post!!

3g4me
04-01-2005, 03:56 PM
Good luck. lol

pyro
04-01-2005, 05:23 PM
me and couple friends broke into the 100% yesterday and wow that shit messes with u. after the first shot i was fine nothing really interesting happend after the 2nd started feeling it a bit but after the third wow its crazy i started seeing things:nut: (make sure to drink alot of water before though cause u get very dehydrated), but the good thing about it was that i didnt have a hangover or nothing i felt perfect. :thumbsup:

pyro
04-01-2005, 05:35 PM
^except i went to go put on my pants today and i ripped them somehow and the shitty thing is that i had my wallet in my back pocket so hopefully i can find it:banghead:

googe
04-01-2005, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by spike98
damn pyro that stuff it crazy, i cracked and order some off the net and it should be here soon, its the stuff with 70% alcohol and 200mg/l of thujone

it should be pretty good

where the hell can you order something with that much thujone online? the "real" stuff only had like 40, afaik

el_fefes
04-02-2005, 03:26 PM
http://www.absinthesupply.net/

hexified
04-20-2005, 10:20 PM
Time for me to bring this thread back i guess.

Are there any places in the NE to buy absinthe?

Hollywood
04-20-2005, 11:44 PM
I was reading the old school stuff even has poison in it.

hexified
04-20-2005, 11:46 PM
Poision me all you want with that shit. I just need to know where the hell to buy it in the NE or close to... lol

buh_buh
04-21-2005, 12:51 AM
holy shit where do I find this shit in Edmonton?
I want some of this for last day of exams

hexified
04-21-2005, 01:10 AM
I think i found a place in the NE that sells it..thank god

gggunit
04-21-2005, 08:03 PM
^ let me know what a stomach pump feel's like after your done.:rofl:

hexified
04-21-2005, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by gggunit
^ let me know what a stomach pump feel's like after your done.:rofl:

Will do... i went to Sams Liquor store on 32nd and Rundlehorn DR. in the NE...picked up a small bottle for $10.

60% alcohol...god damn LOL..

They had Hills there for $60.00... 70% alcohol.

nine4t4
04-26-2005, 02:49 PM
Wormwood is legal in Canada, but it has limits as a 'food additive' Our laws are screwed. We make nitrate free bacon for export but can't sell it here.

100% kinda hard to do as it would require numerous distilings to remove the methanol and propanol. Both of these are what cause hangovers or blindness. Cognac producers throw away the head and tail, the compounds that evaporate sooner and later than ethanol. As my dated chem knowledge remembers scientifically consumable ethanol is limited to 95%. Marketing is different I'm sure they'd sell 110% if they could. It had something to due with water being volatile below it's boiling point.

I tried it about 12 years ago in Prague. No hallucinations (i think that's more likely alcohol psychosis, those's writers 100 years ago drank ALOT) didn't trip out but it was a weird experience. The stuff I drank has potent, 180 proof at least. I wasn't staggering drunk but mentally different, hard to explain. It was like being someone else. On second thought maybe that was the hallucinations. I didn't think I was Robin Hood or Superman but wasn't myself. Felt more like an alter-ego taking over for a while.

Maybe that's why writers were so found of it, it takes you out of yourself for a while.

The stuff we have in Canada isn't the same thing. The wormwood is in there but it's "safe" by government standards, i.e. less psychoactive. The closest analogy would be making spacecake with buds versus shake. The shake has some thc in it but you won't get the same buzz as the same weight of bud.

Phy
04-26-2005, 03:19 PM
I'd buy 110% alcohol. There's more ethanol in it than room in the bottle!

They'd have to ship it in one of these (http://www.kleinbottle.com/).

You could put it on your shelf next to the dehydrated water!

heavyD
05-06-2005, 10:01 PM
Okay. I just brought back two bottles of this shit back from the Frank liquor store at the request of MiniheavyD (Hollywood).

I got two bottles because I listened to her speil about how the shit originated in Fance and the Czechs just copied it yadda yadda yadda. So I just grabbed the Frog shit and the Czechs shit. She told me its the real thing.:dunno:

You owe me $90 bro cause that shit's supposed to taste like paint thinnner and I don't want it.

googe
05-06-2005, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
She told me its the real thing.:dunno:

if you bought it in calgary, it isnt...

heavyD
05-06-2005, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by googe
if you bought it in calgary, it isnt...

That's why I bought it from Frank, Alberta and not Calgary.;)

googe
05-07-2005, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by heavyD

That's why I bought it from Frank, Alberta and not Calgary.;)

k if you bought it in alberta it isnt :)

or canada for that matter...

Lwilliams
12-22-2008, 03:49 PM

Sorry I don't know where to get a bottle of real absinthe (http://www.greendevil.com/), but you can buy home brew kits with real wormwood in them and make it. I haven't done this myself, a friend of mine made some a while ago. Just thought I'd let you know that there are these kits. I hope you find what you're looking for.:burnout:
linda

adam c
12-22-2008, 04:13 PM
awesome bump

colagen
04-01-2009, 11:58 AM
You can buy absinthe here (http://www.rueverte.com), i've bought 3 bottles, and it seems to be okay, i've wait only 7 days.

n1zm0
04-01-2009, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by adam c
awesome bump

X2 for this other foreigner above^

or is it april fools from france? :rolleyes: