PDA

View Full Version : Help choosing a sub?

cidley69
03-09-2005, 12:02 AM
I have a Crossfire VR1000D amp (1000wrms @ 1 ohm) that I would like to power a 10" sub.

I have a custom made box for a 10" sub that I would like to still use (0.75 cu ft). Mounting depth is around 6", but it is slightly adjustable.

Can anyone suggest the best sub for the job? I'd like to stay around $300.

There are quite a few companies that all seem good, so I was hopiong some input from Beyonders might narrow the choices for me.

eD, RE, Adire, SI, ID....

What specs are the most improtant when comparing?

Efficiency (I have noticed cheaper subs are around 80dB, while more expensive ones go upwards of 100dB)

Freq response (what range would be considered 'good'?)

Any and all help would be appreciated, even where to actually buy once I chhose a sub.

Thanks in advance!

:dunno:

spike98
03-09-2005, 12:31 AM
ummm with that power i would say a RE XXX

or if you gots tha chedda then a JL 10W7

fresh
03-10-2005, 10:40 PM
try to find a ROCKFORD POWER HX2 dual 2ohms 1000watts rms

or a ALPINE TYPE X

or a KICKER SOLO BARIC L7

don't worry about the T/S stuff those numbers don't help if you don't know what your doing

to get a sub with 1000rms it may cost you it might be a better idea to run the amp at 2ohms (750rms) with lower rms

Weapon_R
03-10-2005, 10:43 PM
Get the top series in the ED line - you will not be disappointed.

A790
03-12-2005, 12:05 PM
Phoenix Gold Xenon!

BumpinTalon
03-12-2005, 03:38 PM
I say screw 10" subs. with that much juice, it would be very hard to go wrong with a small box 12" sub. you will get a ton more low end extension and overall SPL, with no loss in SQ. you can get the elemental designs Ov2 for around $300 or so, but 1,000 watts is still a lot of juice to give it.
failling that, try an Alpine Type X 10" or look for second-hand IDMAX 12" because those are godlike subs. super-high efficiency, great SQ, and gigantic SPL potential, and they play in small boxes.

cidley69
03-13-2005, 06:41 PM
Thanks for all the ideas. The reason I want a tench inch is cuz I already have a MTX Thunderfomr box that fits stealth style behind my rear seat, and I want to keep this box.

It is possible to have one 10" powered by 1000 wrms , isn't it?

Anyone had any experience with DD subs? (digital designs)

How about an entry level Focal sub, opinions?

Tanks agin.

BumpinTalon
03-13-2005, 06:44 PM
those thunderform boxes are usually pretty lacking for airspace. how big is it?? that should be your most important consideration. there aren't many 10" subs that take 1000 watts RMS and still go into tiny boxes, and Digital Designs definitely does not make a sub like that.

cidley69
03-13-2005, 07:28 PM
The box is pretty tiny, its 0.75 cu ft, with some insulation looking stuff in it to act bigger.

I guess using that box might not allow for a full 1000wrms sub, but I'd like to get as close as I can. Does DD make good subs?

Audio_Rookie
03-13-2005, 08:49 PM
wow, 1000 watts to a sub with 6" mounting depth.....tough call.

an orion hcca sub might fit, super efficient, and slams the low notes.

IDMAX is awsome, far to deep thought, beyond audio to deep, XXX to deep, W7 to deep...

DD makes fricken loud spl subs, not so great in sq though...and they generally require a large ported box, they are crap in sealed.....

if you could cut it into a square a kicker l7 would fit, they handle 750 watts rms with ease....and get VERY loud, comparable with orion, loud, but SQ is sacrificed.....

ED makes some slim subs....and they sound awsome!, still, 1000 watts is a hard pill to swallow....

you could just get a dual 4 ohm sub, or single 2 ohm....and run that crossfire amp off at 2ohm.....with 500rms, it will still be madly loud, but the sub could take the power....

a focal sub might be able to squeeze in there.....maybe....

500 watts would be much easier to pick out for.....

hope that helped a little bit.....if your looking for SPL, go kicker L7 or orion, otherwise look at ED. cant think anything else that shallow holding 1000 rms

BumpinTalon
03-14-2005, 10:49 AM
Kicker L7s need way too big of boxes to sound good. I believe they recommed 3-5 cubic feet for the 12" which is a lot more then this guy has. As well, I would think the HCCA would still need 1+ cubic feet.
I would recommend an elemental Designs 11Ov2. 6.5" mounting depth, 450 watts RMS, and it would fit perfectly in that box. It's only $215, I know it will sound great and have amazing output even in such a tiny box, and it looks nice.

cidley69
03-14-2005, 11:53 AM
Well, thanks again for the food for thought.

Where would I find one of those ED subs at? Is there a dealer in Calgary or only online?

cidley69
03-14-2005, 11:56 AM
There is a guy on beyond selling a Orion HCCA 10d, but apperently the spec sheet says it needs like 1.5 cu ft, with a 12" long, 3" round port.

If a sub calls for that, would would it actually sound like in 'less than optimum' conditions? Say I put it in that box I had, even though it was way different than what they suggest, would it sound half decent or like total shit?

BumpinTalon
03-14-2005, 01:15 PM
well it could sound okay, but most of the SQ & SPL comes from a good install rather then the sub itself. if you put a sub in a box it is totally not compatible with, it will not sound good or go loud. check the recommendations for sealed box too, that is what you need to know. I would imagine a sub that plays in 1.5ft^3 ported could squeeze into 0.75ft^3 sealed with that polyfill stuff in the box.