View Full Version : Spec V vs. Lancer Ralliart

awd
03-10-2005, 12:58 PM
On the track -- both bone stock.

Your opinion and why.

discuss.

DonJuan
03-10-2005, 01:18 PM
Road and Track did a big comparison with alot of the import pocket rockets. They put the Ralliart in last place eventhough it has lots of power (less than the Spec's 180hp) it has a very soft suspension that isn't up to the task of cornering. They also didn't like the stying too much either... I on the other hand prefer the look of the Lancer, but it terms of capability, the Spec V wins hands down. :thumbsup:

A790
03-10-2005, 01:19 PM
The Spec V is a more capable car. The Ralliart is more of a "family car with some juice when you want it".

bspot
03-10-2005, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by DonJuan
Road and Track did a big comparison with alot of the import pocket rockets. They put the Ralliart in last place eventhough it has lots of power (less than the Spec's 180hp) it has a very soft suspension that isn't up to the task of cornering. They also didn't like the stying too much either... I on the other hand prefer the look of the Lancer, but it terms of capability, the Spec V wins hands down. :thumbsup:

After riding in my buddies Ralliart several times, I don't understand the soft suspension part. The thing has very little body roll, and corners quite well.

A790
03-10-2005, 01:24 PM
When I drove the Ralliart I felt is more economy oriented rather than performance- and well it should be too. I felt some roll, not huge, but it was there.

Z_Fan
03-10-2005, 01:31 PM
I find the SPEC-V to be very stiff suspension. It corners very nicely with minimal body roll. It is stiff enough that riding in the back seat for long durations is not very comfortable unless you're on a really nice road.

The only bitch I have about the SPEC-V is the braking. It's good for a while, but when it gets hot (which is pretty quick from repeated high speed stops) the brake fade is pretty bad. I think that is why they introduced the Brembo's in the 2004 models.

DonJuan
03-10-2005, 01:35 PM
K I checked the R&T mag and it turns out the Spec V they used was the NISMO S Tune edition, which got 2nd place over all (ahead of SRT4, Focus SVT, Civic HFP SI, and MazdaSpeed). It lost to the TRD Celica. Not sure why it lost tho, it had the best braking, skid pad, lap time, and the 2nd fastest 0-60 and 1/4 (lost to SRT4). not sure why it didn't win... the Celica won because it apparently "looks, drives and feels like a genuine sports car." OK R&T subtley saying that the celica won on looks huh?

heavyD
03-10-2005, 01:40 PM
My wife has a Ralliart and I can say from experience that it isn't as sporty oriented as the Spec V. and doesn't handle as well. The 2.4L MIVEC is one of the nicest N/A 4-cyl engines I have used however and is compareable to the one in the Spec V. The 5-speed in the Ralliart is the same smooth shifting one used in the EVO VIII and this is definately where the Lancer has an edge over the Nissan 6-speed which just didn't feel right to me.

If you are looking for a track car, the Spec V is the better choice for sure. For everyday use they are comparable and styling is a personal thing but I never did like the interior in this generation of Sentras.

SilverBoost
03-10-2005, 01:42 PM
SPEC V .... but I'm bias. :)

Lancer is only better when it's followed by the words EVOVIII.

I feel the styling was a lot better on the SPEC V in teh 02-03 years, but as for performance, even stock I could throw that thing into the corners pretty good, and the low-end tourqe is amazing. Overall the horsepower was overrated from factory (no surprise) but so are a lot of cars (exception SRT-4) Stock SPEC Vs dyno around hi 150s WHP. But with a fairly reasonable investement in I/H/E/BS/ maybe even cams (but getting expensive then) you will see 160s to maybe even low 170s. Mine dynos at 260+ but I've got more than I/H/E. :)

I have a friend who ran 14.2 on slicks in his SPEC V with only I/H/E. That was in the East Coast at Sea Level though. :)

DonJuan
03-10-2005, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
I never did like the interior in this generation of Sentras.
I agree, the interior of the Sentra is pretty ugly.

ade99
03-22-2005, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by SilverBoost
Stock SPEC Vs dyno around hi 150s WHP.

More like high 140s

heavyD
03-22-2005, 07:55 PM
Another thing. Lancers are built in Japan while Sentras are built by in Mexico. I have experience in dealing with companies in texas and trust me when a guy named Jose or Carlos was in charge of QC our company would be spending thousands in damage control.:thumbsdow No coincidence that VW's have been plagued by problems since they started building in Mexico.

Xtrema
03-22-2005, 09:45 PM
I do echo heavyD's comment on Mexico made Sentra. The QR25DET are made in Mexico and it ain't the most relaible in the Nissan family.

boostless
03-22-2005, 10:04 PM
QR25DET?
spec Vs rnt turbo r they....?

Xtrema
03-22-2005, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by boostless
QR25DET?
spec Vs rnt turbo r they....?

Quick fingers. I do wish the T is there tho.... :D

boostless
03-22-2005, 10:18 PM
yea...sux nissan's all NA these days for canada/us....:thumbsdow
we need a TT VQ30 or 35 and a FI version of the QR25 :clap:

SilverBoost
03-23-2005, 01:39 AM
There is a FI version of the QR25 ..... mine :)

I know what you mean though. Factory boosted so at least the ground work is there to upgrade.

boostless
03-23-2005, 11:49 AM
ncie job :thumbsup:
jus wondering wats the capacity for daily driven QRs on stock internals for a rough max rwhp?

ade99
03-23-2005, 12:02 PM
I think 280fwhp is about the max you want to run. Any more than that, you'll risk snapping a rod.

SilverBoost
03-23-2005, 12:43 PM
Yeah, I had mine at around 280 whp and actually brough it back to run consistent at around 260whp for daily driving. I do know a guy who was running 10psi consistently though and he had a few pulls over around the 300whp mark. The QR makes mad power with very little boost required. But the stock rods are scary. You could use them to pick your teeth their that skinney. I'll be getting mine replaced as soon as I get my new block in to do the transplant on.

ade99
03-23-2005, 01:13 PM
The amount of boost is dependent on the size the turbine though.