PDA

View Full Version : CDV Valves

kerr
03-10-2005, 04:02 PM
I am considering replacing my Clutch Delay Valve (CDV valve). Ive heard of people removing them completley but i found a shop in new jersey that modifies them from a 5 fin to a 3 fin (www.zeckhausen.com) I was just wondering if anyone has done this or has any advice as to whether on not this is a good idea. I drive a 98 540i 6 spd

CBRComet
03-11-2005, 03:06 AM
just remove the valve and screw the line that went into it right into the female port the valve came out of. (the valve has a male end that goes into the clutch slave cylinder and a female end that the hydraulic line goes into.

the only reason to buy the drilled out zeckhausen valve is for warranty issues, so the stealer can't see any modifications. since you have a 98 there is no issue.

this is the best and cheapest (FREE!)mod you can do to an e39 6-speed, it changes the clutch engagement immensely. with that lame-ass cdv, my 540 shifted like krap. i also installed a uuc short shifter, as the stock shift throw was about the same length as a gravel truck.

do it, you won't be sorry.

kerr
03-14-2005, 09:06 AM
That sounds very easy and interesting. The only other thing i heard the cdv valve did was protect my drivetrain.I guess i may have to be careful that i dont twist my drive shaft out should i decide to light my 19" up. Did you ever experience any clutch issues from completley removing the valve?

CBRComet
03-16-2005, 02:57 AM
the cdv does lessen the shock to the drivetrain, by not allowing the clutch to engage as quickly as it would in a car without a cdv. this is accomplished by essentially slipping the clutch, which actually accelerates the wear on the clutch.

so removing the cdv will probably extend your clutch life. as for drivetrain shock, it will be no worse than any regular car without a cdv; ie. most other cars.