PDA

View Full Version : aaaah a crack in my windshield...am I covered?

SilverRex
12-29-2002, 02:17 PM
this morning it waz cold, I park my car in front of the church and after the sun came up.. there is a crack on the bottom left of my windshield. about a length of my hand. you can see it cracked inside out without and chip or damage.

now since I am still under my 3 years bumper to bumper warrenty. will the dealer replace it?

just curious..
so far this years been my bad luck year..:(

rage2
12-29-2002, 02:21 PM
Dealer won't replace it since it's caused by a rock chip to the window.

SilverRex
12-29-2002, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by rage2
Dealer won't replace it since it's caused by a rock chip to the window.

but its not caused by chip it just cracked this morning by itself?
is there a way to prove its not

rage2
12-29-2002, 02:25 PM
Highly doubtful... all cracks start from stone chips, even really really tiny ones that looks like just nicks on the windshield. I've had a crack that came from a chip that was so small, u couldn't see it, but could feel it when u put your hand over it.

SilverRex
12-29-2002, 02:30 PM
ok ill test my luck at my dealer and see what they say, but I'll try to save every penny if I could

redbaron303
12-29-2002, 02:32 PM
It's worth a try.... ask them, but first read your warranty manual, you'd be amazed with what the dealer can get away with on warranty....

New tranny, heated seats, cupholders, cd player, tail light bulbs, mag wheel.... just some of the warranty we've had done on our car! This was Acura warranty though, so it could be different for your car, but read that warranty book they give you and even go talk to the dealer, they may swing it. If you can't see where it started craking (which is where the rock would have hit) then I don't see why they won't, it's a "manufacturer defect"

CRXguy
12-29-2002, 02:36 PM
holy shit! i think Subaru's use like cheap windshields or something. You should see the crack on my car, there's a nice straight line going across. I even saw it with my own eyes! :eek:

Like rage2 said, it started with a tiny chip in the windshield. Just wait it out, and if it's really bad, then replace it come summer time.

There was a discussion about this on www.nasioc.com a couple weeks ago.

redbaron303
12-29-2002, 02:49 PM
That happened on the Acura, rock chip near the top of the window.... last winter, it's been slowly cracking down the window ever since then, it seems to get larger when you try to use windshield washers on those slightly more cold days :( Anwayz, best of luck keeping it useable till spring :)

92 Teg-B18A
12-29-2002, 04:04 PM
man I must have a window made from Superman's DNA err somethin' like that.
I have so many little tiny chips and a couple big ones and no cracks! The biggest one on there has been there for nine years and can still be covered by a quarter easily. Hasn't spread since it happened.

give the dealership a try man, you never know eh?

MistaBrent
12-29-2002, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by SilverRex

but its not caused by chip it just cracked this morning by itself?
is there a way to prove its not

same happened to me bro.

i left my car on to warm up and i hat the defroster on the window on very hot.

I come out and my windows cracked.

wasnt a rock was from having the defroster on. (or maybe i am a fucking idiot and it was from a rock chip)

tulit
12-29-2002, 04:17 PM
Its a defect on the Subarus. I know someone else it happened to. When the glass expands it can crack. It should be covered under warranty. Im sure the dealer will say its a rock chip though.

Redlyne_mr2
12-29-2002, 04:48 PM
i got a crack on my mr2 windshield last year and with an intergrated antenna in the glass the windshields are rather pricey, I had a glass shop stop and fill the crack....you cant even see its there, it looks good as new..i suggest trying that

SpoonEK9@STRD
12-30-2002, 12:02 AM
yeah that is superman glass you have, my pops has a really beat up old window...12 years old, hardly any visible rock chips...scratches all over the place and pits everywhere... old school glass is the best..

I have changed my windshield every winter. New glass breaks quik and easy... i wonder if glass hardens over time?

Originally posted by 92 Teg-B18A
man I must have a window made from Superman's DNA err somethin' like that.
I have so many little tiny chips and a couple big ones and no cracks! The biggest one on there has been there for nine years and can still be covered by a quarter easily. Hasn't spread since it happened.

give the dealership a try man, you never know eh?

4wheeldrift
12-30-2002, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by CRXguy
holy shit! i think Subaru's use like cheap windshields or something. You should see the crack on my car, there's a nice straight line going across. I even saw it with my own eyes! :eek:

Like rage2 said, it started with a tiny chip in the windshield. Just wait it out, and if it's really bad, then replace it come summer time.

There was a discussion about this on www.nasioc.com a couple weeks ago. If you are driving the car hard, there is enough chassis flex to propogate cracks in the window, the shape of the windshield contributes to. A couple of guys with WRX's from the sports car club had that problem.