PDA

View Full Version : Ca18det

A790
03-12-2005, 12:06 AM
Tell me about this engine.

If a part goes, am I going to be screwed to get a replacement? How much is it to rebuild/replace?

Thanks guys.

oddjob
03-12-2005, 12:16 AM
No, you won't be screwed. Its just as hard to get parts for any engine.

A790
03-12-2005, 12:32 AM
Am I looking at importing things from Japan, or are there North American version available?

From my understanding the CA18DE was available in Pulsar NX's for a while.

I'm referring to things like gaskets, alternators, spark plugs/wires, wiper motors etc.

Madspinner
03-12-2005, 12:35 AM
yes the pulsar had the CA18DE , it is a straight bolt in if your swapping engine in a pulsar .

A790
03-12-2005, 12:36 AM
No, the car already has a CA18DET. I'm just curious of it makes a good, reliable daily driver.

chris
03-12-2005, 09:19 AM
here is the list of crossover parts. http://www.ca18det.org/parts.html

A790
03-12-2005, 11:55 AM
Alright! Thanks Chris!

Can I consider this engine a good daily driver?

PorknBeans
03-12-2005, 02:46 PM
Treat it well and you should have no problems. It would also depend on the previous owner and shape of the engine.

chris
03-12-2005, 02:52 PM
you can use your ca for a daily driver, that is what i am going to do, that is what types does. It is not the most practical thing in the world, but it will suffice. Theres enough crossover parts that you won't have to wait forever to get your parts. Let's face it the engine is 15 years old, it will require some maintenance. It is a very solid and well built engine though, so don't expect anything too serious.

TypeS
03-13-2005, 08:31 PM
CA's can take a shiatkicking, so long as you show it how much its loved:D

There are a few parts that may not be readily available everywhere, but calgary has some kick ass JDM support right now...there are quite a bit of people who can get you exactly what you need, when you need it.

think of it this way, you were interested in a Skyline....MUCH better chance of headaches....the silvia will be worlds easier to maintain and drive daily.

now buy that car damnit:whipped:

Lo)2enz0
03-13-2005, 10:09 PM
i have ordered parts for my ca through nissan and it took 3 business days and all of a sudden it was here. as TypeS said, they take a beating and a half before things go wrong with the ca18det.

The only thing I have found hard is getting a new clutch, there is 2 ways in doing it. Either you can order one from spec (which is what I did) or you can take a ka24 clutch, take out one of the pins and there you go.

Good engines the only thing I have noticed is that they are alot smoother than the sr20. great engines and I would rather have a ca18det over an sr20 anyday. They are alot more suitable for daily driving, thats why none of the sr20 guys could drive there cars in the winter, he he he

Laurier

A790
03-14-2005, 12:00 PM
That's good, because I don't know if I can afford a winter car this season... ;)

And TypeS...

I'm EFFING working on it. It should be mine come the end of the week!

86max
03-14-2005, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Lo)2enz0

Good engines the only thing I have noticed is that they are alot smoother than the sr20. great engines and I would rather have a ca18det over an sr20 anyday. They are alot more suitable for daily driving, thats why none of the sr20 guys could drive there cars in the winter, he he he

Laurier

haha......I'll have to call BS on that one. ;)

I'll take you for a spin in an sr20 if you want, then laurier can show you his ca18. Oh wait, I don't think he can take you for a spin, his turbo fell off.....or was it the oil line that snapped....or is the head leaking...oh snap! It's all of them! :rofl:

Lo)2enz0
03-14-2005, 12:55 PM
Hey its all fixed,

I put that thing about the sr20 because I knew you would look at it 86max ha ha ha.

But ya, mine took a beating and a half and now I have a few problems