PDA

View Full Version : What would be a better project car

12mike12
03-13-2005, 06:09 PM
hey guys i am 16 and i am thinking about buying a car to start an import drag project. I drive my parents vehicle right now so i wont be driving this car for a while since insurance is so high.... I was wondering what do you guys think would be a better project car for me to work on during the summer.

1996-1999 Acura Integra GS

or

1995-1999 Honda Civic SI

thanks in advance for the help

Weapon_R
03-13-2005, 06:14 PM
The integra of course.

EK 2.0
03-13-2005, 06:19 PM
my friend above me Weapon_R is somewhat biased towards the Integra...haha

but I too say Integra...much nicer platform to work with, plus done up clean and right you will have a bad-ass looking and performing machine...

12mike12
03-13-2005, 06:20 PM
yea i was looking on the internet and it says the civic has 20 more hp stock?

just out of interest what is your reasoning on choosing the integra?

12mike12
03-13-2005, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0
my friend above me Weapon_R is somewhat biased towards the Integra...haha

but I too say Integra...much nicer platform to work with, plus done up clean and right you will have a bad-ass looking and performing machine...

thanks that kind of answers my question... what about the 20hp different how do you feel about that?

BumpinTalon
03-13-2005, 06:23 PM
the Integra is faster. 20hp difference? maybe comparing the base integra to the fastest Civic. I would just run with the Integra, especially if you start with a GSR.
if you want to go even faster for less money though, I would recommend a 1990-1994 Eagle Talon or Plymouth Laser AWD. Laser AWDs have lost basically all of their value so you can pick them up extremely cheap and run low-to-mid-13s for $500.

EK 2.0
03-13-2005, 06:23 PM
But it's not all about the HP right out of the box. The Teg, due to it's larger motor will be more fun to drive around town with...you will have to rev it less you go anywhere. Plus for both cars speed and suspension parts abound, and you can get pretty much anything you want for both those cars...

But the torque of the Acura, plus the potential of it are my reasons for choosing the Acura over the Honda (is it just me or does that last phrase look weird??)

Talies R
03-13-2005, 06:25 PM
In the end it's just something to waste your money on for afew years, than you'll goto sell it and lose even more money. So I would go with either car and leave it stock.

EK 2.0
03-13-2005, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by BumpinTalon
the Integra is faster. 20hp difference? maybe comparing the base integra to the fastest Civic. I would just run with the Integra, especially if you start with a GSR.
if you want to go even faster for less money though, I would recommend a 1990-1994 Eagle Talon or Plymouth Laser AWD. Laser AWDs have lost basically all of their value so you can pick them up extremely cheap and run low-to-mid-13s for $500.

for a first car, I dont feel a DSM is the right choice...by the time he finds one, it will have quite a few KM's on it and will need a whole lot of up-keep, but to get it to "spc" and afterwards...the Honda's on the other hand are fairly bulletproof, more common, and cheapr and easier to maintain...

BumpinTalon
03-13-2005, 06:28 PM

for a first car, I dont feel a DSM is the right choice...by the time he finds one, it will have quite a few KM's on it and will need a whole lot of up-keep, but to get it to "spc" and afterwards...the Honda's on the other hand are fairly bulletproof, more common, and cheapr and easier to maintain...

that is true, but if it is a "drag project" like he says I assumed that means he will only drive it on weekends and spend the other 5 days of the week tweaking it. that's why I recommended the Laser (which are also, 90% of the time, bagged to shit).

12mike12
03-13-2005, 06:28 PM
But it's not all about the HP right out of the box. The Teg, due to it's larger motor will be more fun to drive around town with...you will have to rev it less you go anywhere. Plus for both cars speed and suspension parts abound, and you can get pretty much anything you want for both those cars...

But the torque of the Acura, plus the potential of it are my reasons for choosing the Acura over the Honda (is it just me or does that last phrase look weird??)

dont worry it looks fine to me

thanks... sry i was getting caught up in the HP and not thinking "outside" the box.... i see what u mean... bigger engine will definatly have more potential..

i choose to compare more the GS instead of the GSR b/c the price difference between the too in the research i have done so far is quite a bit... at least for my age.

so thanks guys keep the info comming... remember it'll be a civic SI or a integra GS

12mike12
03-13-2005, 06:31 PM

that is true, but if it is a "drag project" like he says I assumed that means he will only drive it on weekends and spend the other 5 days of the week tweaking it. that's why I recommended the Laser (which are also, 90% of the time, bagged to shit).

yes this will only be a summer car that i will work on during the crappy weather... during the summer it will be a cruiser to the beach or w/e or on weekends to the track to drag.

BumpinTalon
03-13-2005, 06:39 PM
oh if you want to go show it off, definitely get the Integra. it is a sharp lookin car stock. all it really needs is lowering and some nice rims, and it is a great lookin set of wheels.

Talies R
03-13-2005, 06:42 PM
oh if you want to go show it off, definitely get the Integra. it is a sharp lookin car stock. all it really needs is lowering and some nice rims, and it is a great lookin set of wheels.

and a new front end.

BumpinTalon
03-13-2005, 06:44 PM
the stocker front isn't thaaat bad. it's better then a body kit.

Talies R
03-13-2005, 06:46 PM
true. Don't get a fiber glass body kit!

12mike12
03-13-2005, 06:51 PM
yea definatly a sharp car thats why i wanted it... even though they are a little more expensive... not as many ppl drive them compared to a civic.... dont get me wrong i know im not the first person to modify a integra but less chance seeing another integra like mine that a civic.... agreed?

Aleks
03-13-2005, 06:53 PM
You're comparing the SIR Civic to the GS Integra when you say civic has 20 more hp. Either way my pic would be integra.

12mike12
03-13-2005, 07:06 PM
heres where i got the two specs.... maybe there not accurate?

1999 honda civic si

http://www.carsdirect.com/research/honda/civic/1999/si
160hp

1999 Acura Integra GS 2 dr

http://www.carsdirect.com/research/acura/integra/1999/gs
140hp

dont know if its true or not... cant really trust what is on the internet :dunno:

Aleks
03-13-2005, 07:08 PM
That Si is from the US. Si in the states = SiR in Canada
Ex in the states = Si in Canada

So yeah if you want a 160 hp Civic in Canada you need to look for the SiR

12mike12
03-13-2005, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Aleks
That Si is from the US. Si in the states = SiR in Canada
Ex in the states = Si in Canada

So yeah if you want a 160 hp Civic in Canada you need to look for the SiR

thank you for clarifying

does that mean the integras are different too?

2002civic
03-13-2005, 07:53 PM
integs are the same, but an sir would be aroudn 15-17 thousand for a decent one, or just buy a chepaer civic/integra and do a motor swap

12mike12
03-13-2005, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by 2002civic
integs are the same, but an sir would be aroudn 15-17 thousand for a decent one, or just buy a chepaer civic/integra and do a motor swap

yea that was my thought... i could get either car with 120-150 thousand kilometers on it and run it for 20-40 thousand kilometers until i have enough for a motor swap which would be a GSR in the integra or a H22a in a civic

Idratherbsidewayz
03-13-2005, 08:19 PM
You want to drag race an import and the first brand you thought of was Honda?

You can make any car fast, but thats just retarded. 400whp (arbitrary number) daily driven FWD's aren't usually the best thing. Sure its fast as shit, but not practical at all. Once you come into boost (Assuming you turbo it), you'll be spinning like a mother. There was a red EG that ran a few times last year. 400 and some whp, and a very clean car. Not reliable at all, it lasted one race season.

The cheapest way for high hp would be to get an old talon tsi. But on the flipside, you'll be fixing something every other week. With great cheap power, comes poor reliability.

Im biased towards Nissan, but a 240 project isn't that expensive. Its not too hard to get power out of an SR20 or an RB.

An FC is also an option. Those can be made very fast, but you have to maintain them well.

12mike12
03-13-2005, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Idratherbsidewayz
You want to drag race an import and the first brand you thought of was Honda?

You can make any car fast, but thats just retarded. 400whp (arbitrary number) daily driven FWD's aren't usually the best thing. Sure its fast as shit, but not practical at all. Once you come into boost (Assuming you turbo it), you'll be spinning like a mother. There was a red EG that ran a few times last year. 400 and some whp, and a very clean car. Not reliable at all, it lasted one race season.

The cheapest way for high hp would be to get an old talon tsi. But on the flipside, you'll be fixing something every other week. With great cheap power, comes poor reliability.

Im biased towards Nissan, but a 240 project isn't that expensive. Its not too hard to get power out of an SR20 or an RB.

An FC is also an option. Those can be made very fast, but you have to maintain them well.

thanks for the input ill take that into consideration

Weapon_R
03-13-2005, 08:34 PM
Even though I may be biased, i've owned both. And quite honestly, even my 10 year old integra had more life than my EK civic. Integras have more torque. They have nicer interiors. They have way more power.

heavyD
03-13-2005, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
They have nicer interiors.

I think the console part of the Integra's dash is one of Honda's worst designed. The CRX had the best interior of all of those cars IMO.

90Tegra
03-13-2005, 08:49 PM
bro just get a gen2 integra and soop the macroni out of it.
:drool:

12mike12
03-13-2005, 08:56 PM
sounds like the integra is the way to go..... my plan was to get an integra but save it for next summer... jsut buy it now so for one the kilometers can stay low as possible... and second i can work on it for a year before i run it..... right now i can have a vehicle whenever i want so im set... its just a suv and i really want a drag vehicle for my spare time

finboy
03-13-2005, 09:02 PM
omni GLH

DJ Lazy
03-13-2005, 09:06 PM
I am having a similar dilemna right now..

I'm not sure whether to keep my Prelude and work on it, or sell it and get an integra, and make that my project...

I don't know what to do... But if it was civic vs integra, The integra would be my choice..

Skyline_Addict
03-13-2005, 09:11 PM
well firstly, what's your budget. it's about 2-3 grand more for a good condition GS-R integra as compared to a GS. very solid platform to work on.

Aleks
03-13-2005, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by DJ Lazy
I am having a similar dilemna right now..

I'm not sure whether to keep my Prelude and work on it, or sell it and get an integra, and make that my project...

I don't know what to do... But if it was civic vs integra, The integra would be my choice..

What are your plans? I was in the same boat as you months ago. After talking to some people on here and doing a bit of research I concluded I wanted turbo and the "easiest" route to go was Civic/Integra. I chose integra since it already had the boost loving B18B. It's daily driven and it's not given me any major problems, fairly quick too.

DJ Lazy
03-13-2005, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Aleks

What are your plans?

Not 100% sure yet. Turbo thought have been dancing through my head, but NA machines do have benefits over Turbos.
I want something track worthy(autoX, not drag), good balance, weight isn't really factor I have looked at as the Lude has a larger engine to accomidate the extra wieght.

Something that won't cause me AS many problems during the build up, so simplicity. Not sure if ludes are simple or complicated, I have heard Teg's are simple.

I just don't know what to do.. :(

Skyline_Addict
03-14-2005, 04:54 AM
Originally posted by DJ Lazy

Not 100% sure yet. Turbo thought have been dancing through my head, but NA machines do have benefits over Turbos.
I want something track worthy(autoX, not drag), good balance, weight isn't really factor I have looked at as the Lude has a larger engine to accomidate the extra wieght.

Something that won't cause me AS many problems during the build up, so simplicity. Not sure if ludes are simple or complicated, I have heard Teg's are simple.

I just don't know what to do.. :(

If you're looking for an autoX worthy car, you shouldn't be too worried about boost or any really significant power ups. Keep the car NA with some good NA mods to go along with it. Naturally, you should also work on the suspension, brakes, drivetrain and you're good to go. Is yours an SR-V? Even the SR is pretty quick, so no need to worry about power.

InfiniteJoy
03-14-2005, 10:39 PM
tttteg

Ekliptix
03-14-2005, 10:42 PM
Integra of course.

cycosis
03-14-2005, 10:52 PM
if your gonna go honda, take the teg

JordanEG6
03-15-2005, 12:09 AM
even though i own a civic, i'd do the integra. more potential and some ways and they looks nicer with a JDM front end.

schurchill39
03-16-2005, 10:49 PM
Defintly the Teg... let us know what you're doing and what you plan on doing to it maybe. (BTW i am getting a g3 teg for my first car soo stoked)