PDA

View Full Version : BMW Recalls E46 M3

rage2
12-30-2002, 11:52 AM
Specifically, all Nov 2001 to Feb 2002 production M3's will get a new engine.

http://members.roadfly.com/jason/AMS103.htm

Hakkola
12-30-2002, 12:24 PM
Damn, another recall??? That's probably quite a few cars.

rage2
12-30-2002, 12:28 PM
M3's from the problematic months are all getting their motors replaced under this recall. Everything else (up to sometime in 2003) gets an extended warranty.

B17a
12-30-2002, 12:42 PM
That's pretty embarassing for such a reputable manufacturer and such a nice nice car!

RiceCake
12-30-2002, 12:50 PM
Hey at least they are recalling the cars and fixing the problems vs some companies that just say customers at fault. :)

Hakkola
12-30-2002, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by RiceCake
Hey at least they are recalling the cars and fixing the problems vs some companies that just say customers at fault. :)

Yeah, that's true, I still love the car. However when there was smg problems I think they were blaming the customers at the beginning.

turboMiata
12-30-2002, 01:58 PM
That's a pricey, but pretty smart move. Audi did the same with the TT when they first came out.

kenny
12-30-2002, 02:23 PM

I would be willing to bet that if it wasn't for that M3 engine failure archive website, BMW would have done absolutely nothing. They blamed it on the drivers for the longest time, even initially when the SMG failures started. Personally I think they are a bit too slow, but at least something is getting done.

4wheeldrift
12-30-2002, 03:05 PM
Wonder whats happening to all the poor bastards who had motors go an had to replace it out of their own pocket?

Redlyne_mr2
12-30-2002, 03:21 PM
glad to see that bmw is rectifying the problem..this will not discourage me from having an m3 in my garage in a few years

GTS Jeff
12-30-2002, 03:39 PM
Hey at least they are recalling the cars and fixing the problems vs some companies that just say customers at fault. :) for the longest time bmw didnt do squat...

Weapon_R
12-30-2002, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
Wonder whats happening to all the poor bastards who had motors go an had to replace it out of their own pocket?

I think BMW would compensate them for that, because I can't see it being too hard to win a court case for compensation since they have already agreed to the problem - and court cases cost money that they will probably lose, so they might as well...

rage2
12-30-2002, 04:29 PM

Those were all settled privately. They got their $ back.

pookie
12-30-2002, 05:22 PM
If i had a screwed up e46 M3, i couldn't care less if BMW didn't give me any type of compensations, because owning the car is compensation enough.

rage2
12-30-2002, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by pookie
If i had a screwed up e46 M3, i couldn't care less if BMW didn't give me any type of compensations, because owning the car is compensation enough.

Umm, let me get this straight... what you're saying is, if you owned a E46 M3, and the engine blew up, and you had to pay for it because BMW refused to repair it under warranty (even though you never abused it, never tracked it, etc.)... it's OK because the enjoyment on the car is worth the $17K US repair bill that the original engine failure owners had to shell out to make their cars drivable (and sellable) again?

You must be REALLY bling!

Fluidic
12-30-2002, 05:33 PM

:rolleyes:

treg50
12-30-2002, 06:10 PM

Sorry but this is pretty sad. A big name sells you a piece of crap and you'll take it gladly just because that big name is sooo dreamy and carries sooo much 'social' caché? :barf:

Not me, I'd jam that car up the dealership's service driveway and f-sh!t up. If you spend some serious ca$h on a car that's supposed to be high quality and world class and you get crap, you should seriously demand that they fix the situation.

Where are the Euro-bashers at? If this were the thread about the '02 (or was it the '03) SVT Mustang being held off by Ford for quality concerns, people would be jumping all over Ford. In this case, the E46 situation is as pathetic as the SVT Mustang situation. I respect both these car makers but when they screw up you GOTTA give 'em the fu¢k!ng horns no matter who the manufacturer is... I'm not on the BMW payroll are you?
:guns: :thumbsdow

4wheeldrift
12-30-2002, 06:14 PM
If i had a screwed up e46 M3, i couldn't care less if BMW didn't give me any type of compensations, because owning the car is compensation enough. I don't care whose name is on it or how good the car is. The company that makes the car screws me out of $15k US for a problem on a brand new machine that is because of poor engineering, that companies regional rep is going to see that car shoved somewhere its going to take a proctologist to remove. I don't care if its a BMW or a Kia. Everybody pounds on Ford and the other domestics for producing garbage, but BMW produces a car with a fatal flaw and they can still do no wrong. Go figure :rolleyes: So much for german engineering

GTS Jeff
12-30-2002, 06:19 PM
I don't care whose name is on it or how good the car is. The company that makes the car screws me out of $15k US for a problem on a brand new machine that is because of poor engineering, that companies regional rep is going to see that car shoved somewhere its going to take a proctologist to remove. I don't care if its a BMW or a Kia. Everybody pounds on Ford and the other domestics for producing garbage, but BMW produces a car with a fatal flaw and they can still do no wrong. Go figure :rolleyes: So much for german engineering hey! ive always known that german cars are pretty flaky!

Toms-Celica
12-30-2002, 06:19 PM
hhahahahaha, Baaayyyyyyyyyyyuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmm

three.eighteen.
12-31-2002, 04:39 AM
bah take care of the m3 owners under warranty...what about all the post-'94 318 owners, they owe me a new profile timing gasket...

Ben
12-31-2002, 05:09 AM
Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R
hey! ive always known that german cars are pretty flaky!

How do you explain my car then Jeff?

GTS Jeff
12-31-2002, 05:28 AM
Originally posted by Benny

How do you explain my car then Jeff? a freak of fucking nature. it should have crapped out on you in te first 2 hours the way u drive it.

haha, but u know, when ppl say domestics arent reliable, they dont mean ALL domestics are unreliable. when ppl say imports hold their resale value they dont mean ALL imports. when i say german cars are flaky i dont mean ALL german cars. its just a general rule.

haha, besides, whos car has no heat?

Hakkola
12-31-2002, 01:50 PM
Hahaha, my car has a heater that only works sometimes too!!!! I'm getting it fixed soon though, it's running really damn good for a 9 year old car, or is it 10 years old now??

Jeff are you serious about German cars being flaky? I thought you were joking.

GTS Jeff
12-31-2002, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola
Hahaha, my car has a heater that only works sometimes too!!!! I'm getting it fixed soon though, it's running really damn good for a 9 year old car, or is it 10 years old now??

Jeff are you serious about German cars being flaky? I thought you were joking. i am! most ppl that own german cars usually have a couple electrical gremlims in their car and always some little thing wrong with the car.

of course, most ppl refuse to believe that german cars are flaky, simply cuz they are usually so expensive.

rage2
12-31-2002, 02:29 PM
German Cars :

My SLK 320 had a flaky fan control unit, which killed the battery cuz the fan won't turn off. The roof rubs against the trunk when the top is down, killing the paint at the rear pillars. Both were fixed under warranty. The pillar was repainted.

My Porsche 944 turbo has broken pretty much everything that can break.

Japanese Cars :

My Acura Integra lost 1st gear. POS tranny. I guess it was my fault, all those neutral drops... :rofl:

My Mazda 323 lost 1st, then 2nd, then 3rd gear. 4th gear starts REALLY suck. I think it was my driving style once again!

MistaBrent
12-31-2002, 03:57 PM

go get your head examined.....

fidiot

Zephyr
12-31-2002, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R
i am! most ppl that own german cars usually have a couple electrical gremlims in their car and always some little thing wrong with the car.

of course, most ppl refuse to believe that german cars are flaky, simply cuz they are usually so expensive.

yea like my bimmer for example, they can't fix this leak i have that causes carbon monoixde to come into the cabin. their only advice to me "watch out for smoke".

Originally posted by rage2
German Cars :

My SLK 320 had a flaky fan control unit, which killed the battery cuz the fan won't turn off. The roof rubs against the trunk when the top is down, killing the paint at the rear pillars. Both were fixed under warranty. The pillar was repainted.

My Porsche 944 turbo has broken pretty much everything that can break.

Japanese Cars :

My Acura Integra lost 1st gear. POS tranny. I guess it was my fault, all those neutral drops... :rofl:

My Mazda 323 lost 1st, then 2nd, then 3rd gear. 4th gear starts REALLY suck. I think it was my driving style once again!

yea my control unit my 5 series basically died 6 months after we bought the car, the fan stopped working, the car almost overheated at a result.

i noticed from a few other ppl driving german engineered cars that after the warranty anything expensive falls apart. right after the warranty expired for my 5 series i remebered my parents telling me about they paid 3,000 USD in repairs. a family friend he bought a M5, right after the warranty, his car suddenly overheated and basically died.

japanese cars dont seem to have big problems, maybe because of their high standards of product control, so it doesn't bring dishonor to the company. my family always bought toyotas and we had a 13 year old camry that was running fine a while ago, after using it to tow a lot of crap (a van, boat, other heavy crap)

speaking of japanese car company dishonor, that move Gun Ho owns! :rofl:

treg50
12-31-2002, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Zephyr
yea like my bimmer for example, they can't fix this leak i have that causes carbon monoixde to come into the cabin. their only advice to me "watch out for smoke".

Thier advice is so pathetic that its funny but at the same time makes you want to smack somebody at BMW.

turboMiata
01-05-2003, 12:48 AM
A scanned image of the BMW letter of admission.

http://a0.cpimg.com/image/86/6F/15621510-c61b-01A20200-.jpg

http://a0.cpimg.com/image/86/6F/15621510-c61b-01A20200-.jpg b

4wheeldrift
01-05-2003, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by turboMiata
A scanned image of the BMW letter of admission.

http://a0.cpimg.com/image/86/6F/15621510-c61b-01A20200-.jpg

http://a0.cpimg.com/image/86/6F/15621510-c61b-01A20200-.jpg b Translation: We've pissed off so many people that unless we do something really fast we'll be lucky to ever sell another M3 to anyone who can afford one (though fanboys will continue to lust after them despite there being better, faster, cheaper and more reliable cars out there). Here's an extended warranty that we will gleefully cancel if the car shows any signs of abuse from track days, drag races or being breathed on funny. Please use only BMW proprietary synthetic oil that costs four times as much as any other synthetic on the market and is only available from your BMW dealer where $200 oil changes are the norm, or we'll void your warranty for that too. Have a nice day, and avoid using the pedal on the right too often if you want your motor to stay intact.

rage2
01-05-2003, 11:22 AM
(though fanboys will continue to lust after them despite there being better, faster, cheaper and more reliable cars out there)

:rofl: no doubt! I know if my AMG blew it's motor, I would never trust MB/AMG again. I buy new cars cuz they gotta be reliable and be able to handle the abuse that I dish out... if I wanted a car that I can't trust mechanically, I have my 944 :D.

RiceCake
01-05-2003, 10:16 PM
Translation: We've pissed off so many people that unless we do something really fast we'll be lucky to ever sell another M3 to anyone who can afford one (though fanboys will continue to lust after them despite there being better, faster, cheaper and more reliable cars out there). Here's an extended warranty that we will gleefully cancel if the car shows any signs of abuse from track days, drag races or being breathed on funny. Please use only BMW proprietary synthetic oil that costs four times as much as any other synthetic on the market and is only available from your BMW dealer where $200 oil changes are the norm, or we'll void your warranty for that too. Have a nice day, and avoid using the pedal on the right too often if you want your motor to stay intact.

Hahaha.. good translation warren!:thumbsup: :D

Mr. Grinch
01-15-2003, 11:35 PM
Just wanted to point out something about Jason's post about rumored engine recall. I say rumor because there is no official word yet.

Anyways, my point is, that Jason is saying the recall would be for production M3, 11/01 to 2/02. However, if you interpret the german letter, it says cars DELIVERED 11/01 to 2/02.

There is a big difference. The cars delivered in 11/01 would have been 10/01 (october) builds.