PDA

View Full Version : FS: MB QUART Crossovers

Weapon_R
03-15-2005, 09:41 AM
I got these as part of a trade, but I have no use for them as I already have components in my car.

"MB Quart PXC-216 passive crossovers. 12dB/octave @ 2.8KHz. Tweeter adjustment, optional highpass filter for mids (normally not used), bi-ampable. "

$75 - best offer takes

http://i6.ebayimg.com/03/i/03/78/8a/75_1_b.JPG

cidley69
03-15-2005, 03:00 PM
Would you be interested in trading for some other crossovers you'd have no use for?

A while back I bought some MB Quart speakers that were missing crossovers, so on here I found a set of crossovers. They weren't an exact match, but have been working fine.

Here is a link to the pics of the ones I have now:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=70153

I'd through in a couple bucks, but can't afford to buy another set just to have two sets of crossovers.

Weapon_R
03-15-2005, 05:53 PM
LOL thanks for the offer, but i'd accomplish nothing if I did that :rofl:

Send me an offer, you may just walk with them.

Big Tom
03-15-2005, 10:01 PM
Might also be interested, but not for $75.

cidley69 needs them probably more then I do right now so give him first crack at them.

Big Tom
03-15-2005, 10:14 PM
Nevermind, I forgot the 210 series are 4" components and I have the 218 6.5"

Weapon_R
03-15-2005, 11:05 PM
My mistake - they are actually PXC-216's. I misquoted the website I was reading.

Big Tom
03-16-2005, 10:10 AM
Ok, 216 were also a 6.5" component.

I just need to check with MbQuart on the crossover frequency for them before I make any offers. The thing is I have a set QM 218.03CX's that come with a somewhat ugly flat black crossover with a crossover point of 3.7Khz, but I also have a set of RSB-218 crossovers that look alot nicer (like yours, clear plastic) but their crossover point is 3Khz

Soooo... this install I'm doing I want to have the looks AND the SQ so I'd like to use the RSB crossovers I have for the looks, but I might be suffering in speaker performance which I'm not very fond of. If your's have a crossover closer to what I need... then I'd be interested. I know your post says 2.8Khz but I want to hear from MbQuart exactly what the spec's are.

But again, cidley69 should have first dibs because he needs a proper set for his speakers... I have 2 sets already for mine :D

EDIT: Do you have any actual pictures of your crossovers? Are there any screws missing or scratches or scuff marks etc?

cidley69
03-16-2005, 04:19 PM
Hey Big Tom,

Very nice of you to offer me dibs, thank you.

To tell you the truth, I don't know a heck of alot about specifics of sound, like frequency crossover points.

I do know that I have a pair of MB Quart RCE216 6.5" components that I am using a set of Pioneer crossovers for.

So, I bet a set of MB Quart crossovers would be better for me. If you could use the set from Weapon, please go ahead. But it seems like between the two of you there should be an extra set of MBQ crossovers kicking around.

If I could buy that third set from one of you that'd be great!

Thanks,

cidley
:thumbsup:

Weapon_R
03-16-2005, 08:12 PM
MB QUART speakers...Pioneer crossovers?? :eek: :eek: :eek:

You owe it to yourself to come and take these. Be a man...

cidley69
03-16-2005, 09:36 PM
LOL, guess that shizel is un cosher, huh????

Lemme figure out what the 'crossover point' (:dunno: ) is and get back to you.

:rofl:

cidley69
03-16-2005, 09:59 PM
According to the MB Quart website, the crossover frequency of my speakers is...........

4.200 Hz

So, the crossovers you have are 2.8 Hz, is that too far off to be good?

:nut:

cidley69
03-16-2005, 10:04 PM
This 'crossover frequency', is that the frequency where the signal gets divided between the woofer and the tweeter?

So, any signal less then 4.0Hz (the crossover frequency) goes to the woof and anythintg over goes to the tweet?

Is that the idea?

So having the wrong number will ........?

(Sound shitty???)

And, is there any differerence in quality between a 'good' and a 'bad' crossover?

:dunno:

Weapon_R
03-16-2005, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by cidley69
According to the MB Quart website, the crossover frequency of my speakers is...........

4.200 Hz

So, the crossovers you have are 2.8 Hz, is that too far off to be good?

:nut:

That description was for the wrong model. Search the MB Quart website for the PXC-216 model. I quoted the PXC-210 model above.

And yes, it's wrong, immoral, un-holy, and unethical to mix and match component sets :D

Big Tom
03-16-2005, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
And yes, it's wrong, immoral, un-holy, and unethical to mix and match component sets :D

I'll disagree with that, not ALL mixing of crossovers are immoral... but using Pioneer's with MbQuart's... thats just shit :D

Anyways, got a email back from MbQuart and the guy basically said out of the ones I have sticking with the originals that came with my speakers would be the best since the others like I said have slightly different crossover points, but if I switched to yours I wouldn't probably hear any quote "night or day audiable differences"

So whichever, I'm taking pitty on cidley69 and saying he should get them. They would work really well with his set of speakers anyways. But give him a bit of a break and chew down the price some, they are worth probably $50 used give or take $10 depending on the condition.

cidley69, let me know how much difference you hear when you change from the pioneers to these

Weapon_R
03-16-2005, 10:45 PM
haha...

If someone doesn't pick these up quick, they are going on my rears and cidley will forever be stuck with a frankenstein system :poosie:

cidley69
03-16-2005, 11:20 PM
All I can find on the MB Quart website is the crossover frequency of the speakers I have (RCE216) and it is 4.200 Hz.

I can't find the crossover frequency of the crossovers you have. Is it the 2.8 Hz you listed above?

If they'd work for me i'll take them!

:love:

cidley69
03-17-2005, 12:10 AM
Maybe a stupid question, but isn't a crossover just a simple circuit? I was told that name brand doesn't much matter, that they all do the same basic thing, split a signal.

If I hammer a nail into a board, the nail is in the board no matter what kinda hammer i used. Does this analogy work, or is there more to it than that?

Please enlighten me?

Big Tom
03-17-2005, 12:35 PM
Maybe a stupid question, but isn't a crossover just a simple circuit? I was told that name brand doesn't much matter, that they all do the same basic thing, split a signal.

If I hammer a nail into a board, the nail is in the board no matter what kinda hammer i used. Does this analogy work, or is there more to it than that?

Depends on the application. You wouldn't use treated/non-stainless steel nails on an outdoors application would you? They would work... but not as good as a quality nail designed for that application.

Crossovers basically consist of a bunch of passive components meaning resistors/capacitors/inductors. Difference brands use different types, I'm sure if you tore apart the Pioneer crossovers it would have alot cheaper quality parts opposed to the Quart's the biggest difference would be the capacitors, Quart's use "audio grade" meaning very low ESR/ESL ratings. Plus the Quart crossovers have tweeter attenuation meaning if the drivers side seems a bit too harsh in the high frequencies you can lower the tweeters output on just that side or vis versa which is a nice option. Plus you can wire these crossovers in such a way that you can run an amp for both your mid and the tweet (Uncommon, but if done right sounds phenominal) another cool thing about MbQuart is their tweeters actually go well beyond human hearing (mine go up to 32Khz) which is very nice because it's when you start crossing over you start getting distortion, so getting the frequencies that high up will lower the audiable distortion since it's happening well beyond what I could hear.

So when it comes down to it you have better quality parts, higher power discipation, more flexability, better audio range, and will increase your resale value of your components. Email MbQuart and tell them which set of speakers you have, and the crossover Weapon_R is selling and ask if it's a good match. Took them less then a day to get back to me.

If you want more info, hit me up on MSN sometime and I'll try to explain a few things. But let's get this conversation off the for sale forum :D

Weapon_R
03-17-2005, 12:52 PM
It's quite alright to talk about it because i'd like to know more about these things too.

Cipher: Also remember that an amplifier is only a piece of simple circuitry too ;)

cidley69
03-17-2005, 12:54 PM
I've had no luck searching th MB Quart website for the specs on those crossovers.

If you know where it is, could you send a link?

Big Tom
03-17-2005, 01:08 PM
I've had no luck searching th MB Quart website for the specs on those crossovers.

If you know where it is, could you send a link?

Nope, their information on older products licks balls. And I told them that in the email I sent although they choose to ignore that part of the email when they replied heh

Just see what they say. No one better to tell you if it's a good matchup then the guys who made it.

cidley69
03-17-2005, 01:10 PM
Wouldn't be suprising to hear them say, 'won't work, buy some new ones (from us)'.

But hope they say they'll work.

rahim
03-17-2005, 05:00 PM
the only thing you need to worry about is the crossover point for the tweeter, make sure the crossover point is atleast 2x the Fs of the tweet, so make sure your tweet has an Fs of 1400Hz or lower so you don't risk damage

Originally posted by Big Tom
another cool thing about MbQuart is their tweeters actually go well beyond human hearing (mine go up to 32Khz) which is very nice because it's when you start crossing over you start getting distortion, so getting the frequencies that high up will lower the audiable distortion since it's happening well beyond what I could hear.

neither your amp or headunit will go much past 20KHz anyway so that doesn't matter and how does a crossover cause distortion? the entire concept of a crossover is to limit frequencies in order to stop distortion.

Weapon_R
03-19-2005, 12:08 AM
bump trades welcome - car or non-car related :)

Weapon_R
03-23-2005, 05:29 PM
Pending sale...

Zorac
03-29-2005, 01:59 PM
still got them???

i have a set of clarion pro audio components (4") that are missing the crossover that they probably would work well with...

Weapon_R
03-29-2005, 02:33 PM
SOLD - PM Cidley, he has a pair of Pioneer crossovers he may part with.

Das_Amaretto
03-30-2005, 02:57 AM
nice Cidley, good 2 see u finally grabbed a set of MB x-overs... He got the speaks from me, but when we took them outta my buddy's wrecked jeep, we forgot the x's b4 it was gone... lol...

i knew he would find them here eventually..