PDA

View Full Version : WOK Instructions?

buzz_42
03-15-2005, 12:31 PM
Does anyone know of a site or how to properly use a WOK?

I heard there is a certain way to heat it up and a certain time to add the food and so on.

:dunno:

thx

awd
03-15-2005, 12:35 PM
Depends what it is made of?

non-stick? cast iron? carbon steel? aluminum?

Always start by heating a wok before adding anything to it. Wait until the surface literally begins to let off smoke. Then dribble in the oil to coat its surface and wait a short while longer to allow the oil to get hot. Now you may begin your stir-fry. The rule of thumb is: always add cold oil to a hot wok and never cold oil to a cold wok. Pre-heating before adding oil will prevent food from sticking. It will also ensure that the oil does not burn and smoke up your kitchen before the upper surface of the wok is heated. You may also avoid the risk of burning in overheated oil the garlic and onions, which should be added early on to flavor the oil, and in turn for the oil to flavor the meats, seafoods or vegetables to be stir-fried in it.

thich
03-15-2005, 12:35 PM
u wanna have a real wok (cast-iron), not those cheap pos teflon coated walmart brands.

there are a bunch of good resources at ur local library if u have the time to look. other than that, try google. i'm sure it's real easy to find the info for it.
cooking with a wok is awesome.
wok cooking is also very fast, so you need to pay attention while cooking.

buzz_42
03-15-2005, 12:36 PM
yeah i know that from experience! must pay attention!

do you guys know of any brands of good WOKs
?

like expensive great quality ones?

awd
03-15-2005, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by buzz_42
yeah i know that from experience! must pay attention!

do you guys know of any brands of good WOKs
?

like expensive great quality ones?

Don't be fooled -- the best wok money can buy can be found in any chinese grocery store for $12.

buzz_42
03-15-2005, 04:16 PM
are there any places in calgary? do you recomend any?

im from the hat so its a short drive.

but when im done school ill be able to go

GTS Jeff
03-15-2005, 04:41 PM
if u have anything but a gas range stove, dont even bother. nothing but gas range will get the wok hot enough to work properly.

buzz_42
03-15-2005, 05:01 PM
damnit.:thumbsdow

awd
03-15-2005, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by buzz_42
damnit.:thumbsdow

You will be fine with a normal stove, I have a gas stove now but I used a wok for many years with a normal stove.

B17a
03-15-2005, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by awd

Don't be fooled -- the best wok money can buy can be found in any chinese grocery store for $12.

True, but in 20 years you'll have Alzheimers from the aluminum coming off into your food!:nut:

lam-boy
03-15-2005, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by B17a

True, but in 20 years you'll have Alzheimers from the aluminum coming off into your food!:nut:

ahh, thats why when we buy woks and shit my parents throw some asian labour action on me and make me clean the thing out so well before we even use it.

blinkme_210
03-15-2005, 07:23 PM

Really? Whoa shit, I guess both sides of my family and pratically everyone I know and their families must be REALLY REALLY lucky then, cause I don't know of any Chinese people who have Alzheimers. Hell, I bet like 99% of my Grandparent's generation don't even know Alzheimers exist.

awd
03-15-2005, 09:09 PM

psst, they aren't aluminum ;)

B17a
03-16-2005, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by awd

psst, they aren't aluminum ;)

What are they? All the old ass ones my folks ever had were aluminum.

awd
03-16-2005, 10:53 AM

What are they? All the old ass ones my folks ever had were aluminum.

Carbon steel.

thich
03-16-2005, 12:05 PM

this made me rofl

the cast-iron woks technically can "clean themselves" when you super heat them; other than that, you need to scrub them down every so often with a special brush.
although i remember my mom cleaning it with baking soda or something like that. :dunno:
plus, i recall when you first buy the wok, you need to heat it and run some oil on the wok first... can anyone verify this?

the best ones to buy are the $12 ones just like awd said; make sure you buy one with the handle welded/molded on and not screwed on - the handles tend to break easy :P

wok cooking is easy on a normal stove - just make sure you have one of those "wok holders" (dunno wut its called) that holds the wok in position above the stove
we dun have a gas stove at home but that's wut we use when we cook on our normal stove.

B17a
03-16-2005, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by awd

Carbon steel.

I better find a new supplier then!:D

dj_rice
03-16-2005, 01:54 PM
Yeah,

If u bought a real cast-iron wok, u gotta cure it meaning u gotta heat it up really hot...add oil....and heat up the oil til like its really hot...almost to the point of smoking...and then let it cool down...and then take a towel and just rub all the oil off...when u heat the oil to smoking point it almost absorbs into the wok.

I think u have to do this every few months or so...

And to wash a wok...U can just use water and soap

abyss
03-16-2005, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
Yeah,

If u bought a real cast-iron wok, u gotta cure it meaning u gotta heat it up really hot...add oil....and heat up the oil til like its really hot...almost to the point of smoking...and then let it cool down...and then take a towel and just rub all the oil off...when u heat the oil to smoking point it almost absorbs into the wok.

I think u have to do this every few months or so...

And to wash a wok...U can just use water and soap

Martha Stewart says you're not supposed to use soap on cast iron :rofl:

sputnik
03-16-2005, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by abyss

Martha Stewart says you're not supposed to use soap on cast iron :rofl:

Thats true. Cast iron get "seasoned" as you cook with it. So you just heat it up and clean it with hot water and baking soda.

You also need to oil your wok occasionally (frequency depends on use). The best way to do this is to use peanut oil and lightly coat then entire wok. Then wipe off the excess and heat up the wok to a regular cooking temperature and let it cool naturally.

buzz_42
03-16-2005, 04:01 PM
where can a guy pick up one of these "wok holders"?

xDiMSuMx
03-18-2005, 11:51 AM
hey i walked by Coles in market mall this morning
they have a book called the "Wok Bible" for $15 with a 50% off sticker on it too
might wanna go check it out

buzz_42
03-18-2005, 03:22 PM
Awesome man.

The only thing is, Im in wyoming right now going to Wyotech, and they do not have coles down here.

I asked some people if they had coles.... i gotta big :dunno:

They dont even have 5pin bowling

xDiMSuMx
03-18-2005, 03:46 PM
http://www.whsmith.co.uk/whs/go.asp?isbn=0600613070&DB=220

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0600608077/202-4835766-1519826

see if u can find it in the stores i guess

dragonone
03-30-2005, 04:02 AM
traditionally, cooks clean it w/ pig's fat
this is done perhaps once a month if you cook daily

abyss
03-30-2005, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by smartcar
Never seen a cast-iron wok. Why would you want a heavy, expensive, slow-reponding pan when a normal cheap one will do? The ones I've seen/used are steel, thin with handles, that go on a 1-1/2" high ring that fits around your stove element (gas, electric or whatever).

If you can't get a wok-holder just get a strip of sheet metal 1 to 1-1/2" and shape into a ring. For gas you need holes, for electric you don't.

It's better for a restaraunt to have a cast iron one, because they hold heat longer and distribute it more evenly. For regular home use the carbon steel one would be fine. There are people I know who hate cast iron and people I know who swear by it. It's all about preference, although if you're like me with weak girly wrists cast iron is a pain to use (sorry about the pun).

DarkDream
03-31-2005, 03:33 AM
Hahaha damn I don't remember taking care of the wok like that... and we have probably had ours for like over 15 years.... Its like invincible we probably burned stuff on it countless time and used soap to clean it....etc....

Althought we might have done that thing you guys were talking about when you first buy the wok..... and we always wash it and heat it over the stove to let to dry...

by the way our wok still works great.....