PDA

View Full Version : any new 05 RSX type s's in here?

kornsined
03-15-2005, 12:38 PM
Hey guys just wanted to see how many members here have the new 05 type s. i wasn't really sure it there was any differences major diferences besides the extra 10hp then the previous years.

BigMass
03-15-2005, 01:34 PM
Here are some of the differences between the previous Type S and the 05 Type S. Quite a lot more than just 10hp

RSX/RSX Type-S

* Revised suspension tuning for increased handling precision and a smoother ride
o Ride height reduced by 7 mm
o Optimized damper and spring settings
o Firmer stabilizer bars (front and rear for Type-S, front for RSX)
o Bushings at suspension installation points were optimized
o Inversely wound front coil springs
* Refined steering system for enhanced feel and quicker response
o Quicker steering ratio
o Stiffer steering column
o Pump flow increased by seven percent
o Kickback reduction valve
* Optimized braking system for enhanced stopping power and feel
o Pedal stroke decreased
o Master cylinder diameter increased
o Brake pedal to rigidity increased
* Larger diameter 17-inch alloy wheels and 215/45R17 all-season high-performance tires
* Body rigidity increased 15 percent in front and 21 percent in the rear through the application of reinforcements at key areas
* NVH reduced
o Engine damper added to front subframe to reduce engine rocking and vibration transmitted from the engine to the cabin
o Insulation material added at key points on doors and roof to reduce road noise
o Side-mirror gaps sealed and weather strip added
* More aggressive exterior styling
o New front and rear bumper designs
o Redesigned headlight and taillight assemblies
o Restyled signature 5-sided Acura grille
o Redesigned side sill garnish
o Four new exterior colors: Magnesium Metallic, Vivid Blue Pearl, Jade Green Metallic, Blaze Orange Metallic
* Freshened interior design
o Deeply bolstered front seats with thicker cushions
o New chrome and titanium-look accents
o Meter faces changed from metallic to white

RSX Type-S Additional Enhancements

* Engine intake and exhaust modifications that boost the horsepower of the Type-S model to 210 at 7800 rpm (compared to 200 hp at 7400 rpm on the previous model)
o High performance camshafts to improve engine breathing
o Air intake duct enlarged for increased air flow
o Larger diameter exhaust pipes to increase exhaust flow
o Catalytic converter optimized to reduce exhaust backpressure
* 6-speed transmission optimized with a lower final gear ratio for quicker acceleration and carbon synchronizers replacing brass on 5th and 6th gears for a smoother shift feel
* Larger diameter front strut tower bar
* Bushings replaced by bearings on strut mount
* Larger diameter 17-inch alloy wheels and 215/45R17 all-season high-performance tires
* Deck lid spoiler

The '05 RSX-S has more potential than the '02-04 RSX-S because of the Type R cams. Hondata was able to squeeze 208.7hp / 148.9ft/lb from a RSX-S with CAI and K-Pro running on a modified 02-04 ECU on the 05. They surmise that they would have gotten even greater gains with the stock PRC snorkel intake (sorry not PRM) ... The results are even more impressive when you look at the dyno curve,

18 ft-lbs more of torque @ 2000 rpms, 15 ft-lbs @ 5800 and 8000, 16 hp peak gain, and 20hp @ 5800 rpms and 8000 rpms.

The dyno graphs speak for themselves, if and when Hondata ever release a flash for the 05 RSX-S, the car will have an extreme amount of potential especially with a K-Pro like full tuning system and some added goodies like a race header, etc ...

http://www.hondata.com/dynok20-05rsx.html

BigMass
03-15-2005, 01:43 PM
My 05 Type S should be here within a couple of weeks. There were none on the lot when i purchsed mine.

I test drove every car that appealed to me in that price range before making my decision.

Mini Cooper S
WRX
Mazda RX-8
SRT-4
Celica GT-S

I felt the 05 Type S was the perfect car in that price range for me. To me a car is a total package, not just something that posts a 0-60 time. I think the 05 Type S provides the best combination of luxury, looks and performance in its price range.

After test driving the Type S, it was the only car that didnt make me think "wow that was a great car, i'd buy it right away if it wasnt for....."

kornsined
03-15-2005, 05:35 PM
you planning on modding your car? should make some nice numbers

BigMass
03-15-2005, 06:28 PM
Only thing i'm planning for the car is maybe an AEM V2 intake. Hondata is not out for the 2005 yet and exhaust mods are pretty much pointless. Also for sure a new set of rims and summer performance tires.

I'm not to big into modding my car. I like to buy a good performing car that comes pretty well tuned from the factory. I think the new 2005 Type S fits that bill fairly nicely.

old&slow
03-15-2005, 07:51 PM
wanna sell me your 05 rims?

BigMass
03-15-2005, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by old&slow
wanna sell me your 05 rims?

I dont even have the car yet, but possibly. PM me with your info and i'll contact you when i get it.

kornsined
03-16-2005, 12:17 AM
yeah to bad i never had enough money for a type s. i kinda just fell into my civic. great car for me just not a performance beast. too bad you wern't doing an exhaust. I'm looking for an 05 type s muffler.

Sorath
03-16-2005, 12:24 AM
also, the new type s is alot heavier : )

biggie_82
03-16-2005, 03:08 AM
I picked up my 05 S about a month ago. No complaints here. I felt the exterior changes were subtle and a good job on the updated look (it could have been worse).

In terms of performance, I find the car is pretty sticky to the ground, gutless at lower RPMs but pretty fast once you get into the upper range.

In terms of the new final drive, it depends how you look at it. The car is quicker but with an unchanged 6th gear it revs a little higher for highway cruising (120KPH sits a little over 3500 RPMs).

My only complaint is that 1st gear is very short!

My final word is that it's a pretty easy and fun car to drive.

kornsined
03-16-2005, 12:51 PM
in my civic my final gear is like that too. i'm around 3600 at 120km/h. same with first gear. must be a honda thing for a sportier drive.

A2VR6
03-16-2005, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by biggie_82

My only complaint is that 1st gear is very short!

:werd: I notice that alot as well on mine... I dont mind it that much but sometimes it gets pretty annoying. I've had mine since december and one thing I find is that when the tranny is cold, shifting from 1st to 2nd feels like shifting with a stick in a bucket of gravel, it's not a grind but it doesnt feel that great. It goes away when the car warms up tho. Other than that it's been a great car to drive!

7thgenvic
03-16-2005, 08:05 PM
all you rsx bastards!!! meee so jealous! hehe
oo well hopefully i'll have my K20 swap by the end of summer :(

ACX
03-16-2005, 08:20 PM
Just a couploe questions regarding the hondata thing. Nice gains..

Are they going to make it as far as anyone knows?

Hondata is investigating the economics and logistics of making an adapter harness to allow an 02-04 ECU to drive the 05. DO NOT call us asking price and availability.

And.. IS this power measured at the wheels or flywheel. I would have guesed wheels but it stated flywheel on the screen.. Not familiar with that kind of dyno:dunno:

http://www.hondata.com/images/05cai-stock-ecu-vs-tuned-kp.gif

kornsined
03-16-2005, 10:21 PM
hey any of you 05 type s guys wanna sell me your oem muffler?

Aleks
03-16-2005, 11:28 PM
That's dynapack. I think those dynos measure closer to flywheel they are usually higher than dynojets. Those are impressive gains nonetheless!