PDA

View Full Version : Love your car? Beware!

Def_3
03-15-2005, 04:23 PM
This was posted at my office today, found it interesting..

It wouldn't surprise me if this is true. Just a heads up as my friend's truck walked away in a similar fashion recently. The thief had a key that worked better than my friend's! Please read & feel free to pass on this important car-theft information:

Seems that car thieves have found yet another way to steal your car or truck without any effort at all. The car thieves peer through the windshield of your car or truck, write down the VIN from the label on the dash, go to the local car dealership and request a duplicate key based on the VIN #.

I didn't believe this e-mail, so I called a friend at Chrysler Dodge and pretended I had lost my keys. They told me to just bring in the VIN #, and they would cut me one on the spot, and I could order the keyless device if I wanted. The Car Dealer's Parts Department will make a duplicate key from the VIN #, and collect payment from the thief who will return to your car. He doesn't have to break in, do any damage to the vehicle, or draw attention to himself. All he has to do is walk up to your car, insert the key and off he goes to a local Chop Shop with your vehicle. You don't believe it? It IS that easy.

To avoid this from happening to you, simply put some tape (electrical tape, duct tape or medical tape) across the VIN Metal Label located on the dashboard. By law, you cannot remove the VIN, but you can cover it so it can't be viewed through the windshield by a car thief. I urge you to forward this to your friends before some other car thief steals another car or truck.

Detective Scott Hobbs, Calgary Police Service
&
Clarence Nelson
Town of Beaumont
"Life is Better in Beaumont!"
Special Constable / Bylaw Enforcement Officer
Beaumont RCMP Satellite Detachment
5008 - 52 Avenue Beaumont, AB T4X 1E5
Office: 780-929-2485 Fax: 780-929-1202 Cell: 780-499-5666
E-Mail: [email protected]

pyro
03-15-2005, 04:27 PM
ya i heard about this to, i was talking to a officer in town here and he said that he has heard of many situations of theifs doing this, he said its becoming more common. i put my electrical tape on a month ago:thumbsup:

Def_3
03-15-2005, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by pyro
ya i heard about this to, i was talking to a officer in town here and he said that he has heard of many situations of theifs doing this, he said its becoming more common. i put my electrical tape on a month ago:thumbsup:

yeah thats the first thing Im doing as soon as my car comes out of storage, I can;t believe dealers arent forced to id and stuff....thats pretty ridicolous

habsfan
wow thats kinda scary that that kind of thing can actually happen :eek: tape over the vin might be a good idea

legendboy
most dealers will need your liscence and ID before they will cut u a key :)

Def_3
03-15-2005, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by legendboy

I just called TnT Honda and they said oh ok read me off your vin#....I said Ill call back...:rolleyes:

BumpinTalon
03-15-2005, 04:38 PM
holy thanks for the heads up

Mad$ella
03-15-2005, 04:43 PM
Good to know, hope i remeber when the stanger comes out.

D. Dub
03-15-2005, 04:52 PM
I wonder if you or your insurance company would have a civil case against the dealership for negligence if they gave someone a key to your car?!?!?

You think they'd have to shoulder at least some of the blame for being such dicksmacks:rolleyes:

JAYMEZ
03-15-2005, 04:57 PM
I guess this doesnt apply to all cars , when I went to Mazda for the RX7 , they didnt have my car registered under Mazda canada.

Def_3
03-15-2005, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by D. Dub
I wonder if you or your insurance company would have a civil case against the dealership for negligence if they gave someone a key to your car?!?!?

You think they'd have to shoulder at least some of the blame for being such dicksmacks:rolleyes: :werd: if this ever happened to me, I would have my lawyer all over the dealers....

Def_3
03-15-2005, 05:08 PM
oops

spike98
03-15-2005, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Def_3

I just called TnT Honda and they said oh ok read me off your vin#....I said Ill call back...:rolleyes:

Damn man, call back and let er have it, then call and talk to the manager of the dealershit, give him shit as well. Call Honda canada and explain to them that these asshole parts fools could be help responsable for the stealing of a car.

Maybe, just maybe something might be done.

eblend
03-15-2005, 05:21 PM
yah head about this a while ago, i was gonna post but it gonna take too long to copy it off paper, it was a printout from somewhere

kiwi
03-15-2005, 06:28 PM
Wow, I'm surprised that those car dealerships don't even bother to ID you first! That's bull! :thumbsdow

djayz
03-15-2005, 06:42 PM
*searches frantically for tape*

this is pretty retarded...stupid dealerships

lam-boy
03-15-2005, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ_STi
I guess this doesnt apply to all cars , when I went to Mazda for the RX7 , they didnt have my car registered under Mazda canada.

maybe its because you bought your car frm the US?

69cougar
03-15-2005, 07:18 PM
:bullshit:

Not that there aren't a few out there that would but seriously this scam is from the 90's. Any reputable dealership would ask to see proof of ownership before handing out a key.

Any CPS detective would also provide either his unit (ie, CID autotheft Commercial Crime, or his District if working out of a GIU. I have seen this email with about 20 different sigs now so like I said first I call

Def_3
03-15-2005, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by 69cougar

Not that there aren't a few out there that would but seriously this scam is from the 90's. Any reputable dealership would ask to see proof of ownership before handing out a key.

Any CPS detective would also provide either his unit (ie, CID autotheft Commercial Crime, or his District if working out of a GIU. I have seen this email with about 20 different sigs now so like I said first I call

right on, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I personally work with someone whos car was stolen using a key which was given out by a dealership, so hey it doesnt bother you then, ignore it, but I figured its better to be safe than sorry, and I personally called a dealership and was NEVER asked for id or registration

Mike09
03-15-2005, 07:37 PM
See the dealer can't Id you cause that will only prove who you are, not who own's the car. The dealer should ask for the registration slip. SHOULD.... but don't and most likely never will.

JAYMEZ
03-15-2005, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by lam-boy

maybe its because you bought your car frm the US?

Duh lol .. Any imported cars should be safe. But in reality , if someone wants your car , they will get your car.

finboy
03-15-2005, 09:17 PM
hehehe, good thing dodge didn't start doing this until 1994. mind you, i don't think my car is on the top of anyone's "to steal" list.

Xtrema
03-15-2005, 09:35 PM
Reference to the recent immobilizer thread.

If you car has immobilizer, a simple cut key won't work. Even with the new immobilizer key, it must be programmed into the system before it'll work.

You can't worry too much or you'll go nuts. Just make sure insurance coverage is there and you'll be ok.

ninspeed
03-15-2005, 10:57 PM
this is true, and i use vin key cutting quite often when a car get towed in with out keys. For a regular cust that would walk into parts, you need to have alberta issued reg, a valid driver licence matching the reg, and usually check with the GM registar.... plus just some common sence... if it seems shady, no go

32V-V8
03-15-2005, 11:05 PM
Well if you keep registration in the glove box... you wouldnt be able to provide it now would you?

cman
03-15-2005, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Mike09
See the dealer can't Id you cause that will only prove who you are, not who own's the car. The dealer should ask for the registration slip. SHOULD.... but don't and most likely never will.

which is usually in your glove box

edit: to slow.

C4S
03-15-2005, 11:31 PM
It could happen ...

When I had my Grand Cherokee few yrs ago, I lost my key, so I called the dealer, I told them the Vin #, then I went to their part department and pick up a brand new key ! Simple ! Well, yes, I told the guy my name, and my name was on their system, however, when I went to pick up the key, I just paid them, no one even checked or asked for my ID or anything ! :dunno:

At least, I know for high-end cars, such as BMW, Porsche, Benz etc ... when ordering or pick up a key, they will check your ID, ownership etc .... :thumbsup:

Rav4Guy
03-15-2005, 11:40 PM
Immobilizers prevent a key from being "just cut". The new key would have to be brought in.. with the vehicle... and be programmed together.

This is of course to start your car. This does not prevent someone from opening your doors and taking a laptop, or bag, etc.

It really depends on how customer orientated the dealership is. If they are, then they'll do anything to protect their customer and their identities.

Freebs
03-15-2005, 11:48 PM
And the electrical tape is now over the VIN number ahaha thank you Def_3 for this info...
Even though i have an Immobilizer like Rav4guy was talking about.. i still dont want some one being able to just get into my car... think about how easy they could jack your deck, subs, cd's ect....

Nissanaddict
03-16-2005, 12:25 AM
My car, I wouldn't care if someone stole it (I drive an 88 Corsica temporarily)...but that wouldn't work regardless. It's on at least it's second ignition lock cylinder. The original keys do NOT work 100% sure (original cyilnder broke) but if someone wants my car...I know for a fact it takes a whole 23 seconds to start it with no key...it's not hard. And since the original ignition lock cylinder broke with no forcing whatsoever (my mom just turned the key one day...it kept turning...nothing happened) it's not hard to break the steering wheel/shifter lock either....anyone wanna steal my car? I might have enough in receipts to get some decent cash for it.

crazydriver
03-16-2005, 12:29 AM
i agree, its way too easy, so i guess i'm out to tape mine

shakalaka
03-16-2005, 12:31 AM
So where exactly is the VIN number on the dash? Might be pretty obvious or something, just never noticed!

cman
03-16-2005, 12:33 AM
on the driver side, at the bottom of the windshield usually?:dunno:

Xtrema
03-16-2005, 08:38 AM
BTW guys, please read the following regarding this chain letter/spam:

http://www.breakthechain.org/exclusives/vintheft.html

http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/vin.asp

So don't get so freaked out by it. It's still too much effort and unless you drive a $250K car, it's hardly worth it for theives.

Although there's also some truth to the maxim that thieves will go after whatever's easiest to grab first, so even if you can't make your valuables absolutely impervious to theft you can at least maximize your chances that someone else will be the victim by making your valuables as difficult to steal as possible, obscuring your car's VIN isn't likely to significantly decrease the odds of theft.

Don't get paranoid about these things, it just wastes brain cells.

Tyler883
03-16-2005, 09:56 AM
There's no reason why each auto manufacturer couldn't keep their VIN/key cutting info in a centralized database, which requires some basic info from the dealership that is making the request for info.

If a dodge gets stolen, the investigating police office would contact chrysler canada, which in turn would lead them to the dealership, who should have a finger print and photo copies of the person that purchased the key. If cheque cashing stores can take finger prints, so can a car dealership that is trying to offer a key cutting service to their customers.

TrevorK
03-16-2005, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by legendboy

I've got a key cut for my Eclipse at one of the big Chrysler dealers here in Edmonton without even asking for my name...

Tyler883
03-16-2005, 10:07 AM
Hey does anyone want my VIN# ????

I have a rusty old ford that I'd like stolen - LOL

turboMiata
03-16-2005, 10:53 AM
Don't you watch Gone in 60 Seconds? there's always a guy working inside the car dealershits supplying the keys. seriously, this is not new stuff. as for the guy that says he is going to sue the dealership, good luck proving the dealership was at fault.

sputnik
03-16-2005, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Rav4Guy
This is of course to start your car. This does not prevent someone from opening your doors and taking a laptop, or bag, etc.

Or putting the car into neutral and towing it away.

Tyler883
03-16-2005, 01:49 PM
I dont bother locking my door, if some punk wants in bad enough, I really dont want to have to repair the door lock, or replace the window.

As for stealing it, I have a solution for that....I don't have any brakes in my truck so they may get away, but they'll have one hell of a time getting to where they want to go.

Freebs
03-16-2005, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

Or putting the car into neutral and towing it away.

You dont really need your car in neutral... actually they prefer your car has the ebrake on or is in park... well thats whats happend last week when i needed my car towed... could be different with other companies though :dunno:

interlude
03-16-2005, 04:27 PM
at BMW.. they need photo ID.. registration and insurance before they ordered my replacement key

BlackArcher101
03-16-2005, 10:55 PM
Or if you are so worried, just put a hidden kill switch on the fuel pump line. They can crank it all they want, but they ain't gettin anywhere.

Carfanman
03-16-2005, 11:47 PM
I think Im going to go out and treat myself to a nice new free porsche.

Time to use some electricall tape, thanks for the info!

5abi
03-17-2005, 11:28 PM
yah electrical tape on all 3 as of NOW.:burnout:

Mad$ella
04-21-2005, 08:20 AM
BUMP
People need to know about this...:thumbsup:

yohan4ws
04-21-2005, 11:47 AM
I want somebody to call right now somewhere in Calgary and give a vin#. Honda, Dodge .. wherever ... im curious.

fuck, I'll straight up go through with it all the way and go buy the key and everything ..

Then I'll call Tony Tye or some news people and get some serious publicity about it (as well as speak to the manager of othe dealership.)

Hey, I'm bored so. I'll call in about my car right now and ask a key to be cut. :thumbsup:

bigboom
04-21-2005, 11:50 AM
thats surprising because the other day when i locked my keys in the car and asked lexus roadside assistance to come help me they wouldnt. what they did instead was go to my house, pick up my spare key and then drove it over to me. they wont unlock a lexus under any circumstance and then i inquired about them cutting a key and bringing it to me and they said it would take a couple days because they would get it cut in toronto then ship it over to me to ensure that the keys do not get into the wrong hands.

AllGoNoShow
04-21-2005, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by yohan4ws
I want somebody to call right now somewhere in Calgary and give a vin#. Honda, Dodge .. wherever ... im curious.

fuck, I'll straight up go through with it all the way and go buy the key and everything ..

Then I'll call Tony Tye or some news people and get some serious publicity about it (as well as speak to the manager of othe dealership.)

Hey, I'm bored so. I'll call in about my car right now and ask a key to be cut. :thumbsup:

Did you do it yet? :P

403Gemini
04-21-2005, 12:32 PM
thats pretty crazy, though i can understand somewhat about the dealerships not asking for id, seeing as it coudl be a 2nd owner of the car requesting it.

:dunno: should still take down all the vital information. even a photocopy of the persons driver liscence upon pickup.

Def_3
04-21-2005, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Freebs
And the electrical tape is now over the VIN number ahaha thank you Def_3 for this info...
Even though i have an Immobilizer like Rav4guy was talking about.. i still dont want some one being able to just get into my car... think about how easy they could jack your deck, subs, cd's ect....

my pleasure:thumbsup: