PDA

View Full Version : SUV pricks

jaylo
12-30-2002, 03:43 PM
They think they own the road and have no patient at all.

fast95pony
12-30-2002, 04:09 PM
I had one on my rear bumper yesterday while on a off ramp.

I guess it's the one time a year when SUV's are better than cars..
:rolleyes:

Alan

kevie88
12-30-2002, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by fast95pony
I had one on my rear bumper yesterday while on a off ramp.

I guess it's the one time a year when SUV's are better than cars..
:rolleyes:

Alan

Hit the brakes.. getting rear ended by an SUV sounds like a good money maker to me!

And they aren' better than cars right now.. ask any Subaru owner!

max_boost
12-30-2002, 04:18 PM
Show them whats up! Cut them off really bad and see what they do! Ouch.....that's too cruel actually

fast95pony
12-30-2002, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by kevie88

Hit the brakes.. getting rear ended by an SUV sounds like a good money maker to me!

Have you ever tried making a claim ??

Luckily I haven't ,but I've heard some nightmarish stories
when Insurance have to pay out...

I'll just wave my finger at the a-hole !!:guns:

Alan

mrmattyk
12-30-2002, 04:27 PM
I drive an SUV and I am [too] super courteous to all drivers (ask kenny). A good deal of them are piloted by menopausal angry Mom's, super intense macho Father's and spoiled bitch girls. All these people think they are hot shit or really pissed off and have road rage. I've seen them being total jerks on the road to fellow SUV's or not. The thing is when you're in an SUV you have a mindset that you are bigger than everyone, so there for you feel like you are powerful and can do anything you want to people. Also SUV's are kind of expensive so some people might get the impression they are rich and can do whatever they want. All this attitude transfer to driving. Just my opinion :dunno:

Weapon_R
12-30-2002, 04:32 PM
You guys are all wrong - SUV's are the kings of the roads during Winter. If you've ever driven one(we've got two), you feel totally secure and experience minimal slipping in the SUV - Whereas my car feels like its driving on racing slicks in the winter.

lammer
12-30-2002, 04:54 PM
yeah i love my parents 4runner. its nice! i can't wait till i get my car. i need to find a job with longer hours so i can help them pay off the car. if i get my job i will be cruisn in my crv!! haha.

max_boost
12-30-2002, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
You guys are all wrong - SUV's are the kings of the roads during Winter. If you've ever driven one(we've got two), you feel totally secure and experience minimal slipping in the SUV - Whereas my car feels like its driving on racing slicks in the winter. WHAT?!?!:rofl:

I take any car equipped with snow tires over any SUV anyday during the winter......unless if there is 4 inches of snow on the ground! haha:thumbsup:

rage2
12-30-2002, 05:21 PM
You guys are all wrong - SUV's are the kings of the roads during Winter. If you've ever driven one(we've got two), you feel totally secure and experience minimal slipping in the SUV - Whereas my car feels like its driving on racing slicks in the winter.

Another victim of SUV marketing :D. It's all about the tires!

CRXguy
12-30-2002, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
unless if there is 4 inches of snow on the ground! haha:thumbsup:

Still doesn't phase me!;) :rofl:

mrmattyk
12-30-2002, 05:39 PM
I'd take Jeff's beast over any AWD car or SUV :rofl:

Wait for the pics and vids, that guy can drive!

GTS Jeff
12-30-2002, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by mrmattyk
I'd take Jeff's beast over any AWD car or SUV :rofl:

Wait for the pics and vids, that guy can drive! not true! i am a horrible driver!!

while i was out practicing today...i busted up the beast pretty bad when i slid into a deep assed ditch. i lost the passenger side door step and and i bent the wheel well guards pretty bad, one was rubbing the tire so i had to kick it out. on the drivers side i left some huge ass gashes in the door panel from sideswiping a huge wooden sign. oh well. anyone have blue touch up paint? and black paint for the plastic backing of the side view mirror?

redline_13000
12-30-2002, 06:46 PM
WHAT?!?!:rofl:

I take any car equipped with snow tires over any SUV anyday during the winter......unless if there is 4 inches of snow on the ground! haha:thumbsup:

haha, ive seen a bunch of cars getting stuck just because there bumpers are pushing up against the deep snow, also suvs are heavier, make em dig in deeper!, i drove one of my friends civics the other day and i was scared outta my pants of it sliding into something cuz it was so light, just the feel of an suv during those conditions is better

Ben
12-30-2002, 06:55 PM
SUV's are ass, they are such a misconception. Under average driving conditions they are pretty good, but once you get in trouble, a car will be far better to recover in than a topheavy sport ute, and Jeff, NICE WORK!!!

jdmakkord
12-30-2002, 07:07 PM
sure you dont feel like you are slipping in a suv.....
.....till you hit the brakes. Then we'll see who grips, the suv or me and my slammed accord with toyo g03 winters:)

redline_13000
12-30-2002, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by jdmakkord
sure you dont feel like you are slipping in a suv.....
.....till you hit the brakes. Then we'll see who grips, the suv or me and my slammed accord with toyo g03 winters:)

bud, i have bfgoodrich beasts on mine, hardly any slippage:rofl:

GTS Jeff
12-30-2002, 08:19 PM
i have bald tires on my van....i slam it into reverse and mash the gas to stop.

redline_13000
12-30-2002, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R
i have bald tires on my van....i slam it into reverse and mash the gas to stop.

:rofl: :rofl: , wouldnt that be worse

GTS Jeff
12-30-2002, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by redline_13000

:rofl: :rofl: , wouldnt that be worse bad for the tranny..but it works

jdmakkord
12-30-2002, 08:26 PM
bfgoodrich off road tires arent winter tires. Try panic stopping in slush or deep snow and see if you can. Better yet, try on black ice.

RiceCake
12-30-2002, 10:25 PM
Hahahaha... Damn Jeff what misendevours will you 'paint' us this year? Beast number 2 madd fence drifting skillz 0wnz j00! :rofl:

Yeah but SUV's seem to think they own the road during these road conditions... I am in disbelief of how many I see sliding off country hills and flip into the ditch accross from Country Hills golf course every year.

NickGT
12-31-2002, 12:54 AM
saw what i think was a crx hanging from an off ramp rail on deerfoot the other night, anyone else see that (it was on deerfoot southbound up by... fuck i forget, in the north cause i was heading up to 32nd)? Geezus. it musta lost control, slid sideways doing some sorta railslide up, then the back wheels hooked to keep it on the rail cause it would be impossible for the car to somehow jump like 2-3ft. i would think. it was interesting none the less :D

edit: and I agree some SUV drivers can be pricks. I know its bad but when they whip past me i hope something bad happens to them so i can slow down and watch... :thumbsup:

davidI
12-31-2002, 01:08 AM
I've seen some crazy stuff on the LA news when I'm in California...

lots of cars and SUV's go flying off of their overpasses, scary!

Weapon_R
12-31-2002, 01:30 AM
WHAT?!?!:rofl:

I'd be willing to bet that either my 4Runner or Jimmy could probably do better than your "newly equipped" snow tires anyday and in any condition.

GTS Jeff
12-31-2002, 04:48 AM

I'd be willing to bet that either my 4Runner or Jimmy could probably do better than your "newly equipped" snow tires anyday and in any condition. how does 4wd help u stop quicker?

Weapon_R
12-31-2002, 04:54 AM
how does 4wd help u stop quicker?

4wd doesn't help stop faster, but it helps move quicker and it helps a car from slipping around while it's moving...

GTS Jeff
12-31-2002, 05:02 AM

4wd doesn't help stop faster, but it helps move quicker and it helps a car from slipping around while it's moving... most of the time, stopping/slowing down decreases the likelihood of an accident occuring, whereas speeding up does the exact opposite.

we could in fact argue that 4wd creates more of a risk of an accident occurring using the logic of this argument.

redline_13000
12-31-2002, 05:49 AM
most of the time, stopping/slowing down decreases the likelihood of an accident occuring, whereas speeding up does the exact opposite.

we could in fact argue that 4wd creates more of a risk of an accident occurring using the logic of this argument.

actually no, i have been in many cases where i would be at a stop sign, and the car behind me is sliding at me beeping for me to move, in which case u need a good 4wd to get you out of the way

4wheeldrift
12-31-2002, 09:01 AM
4wd and AWD tends to make people think they are invincible, giving them the illusion that their vehicle can go and stop just like on dry pavement. Like any other technology in a vehicle, it only benefits you if you use it properly. Driving like an idiot on dry pavement, driving like an idiot on ice you're still going to get into an accident.

rage2
12-31-2002, 10:27 AM
Finally! The 4WD debate! :D

4wd doesn't help stop faster, but it helps move quicker and it helps a car from slipping around while it's moving...

4WD can help a car from slipping around while it's moving? Explain that one. 4WD only improves on acceleration. Some people think 4WD have "better handling" in the snow... the definition of better handling comes back as exiting slippery corners faster (acceleration).

Truth is, 4WD doesn't help deceleration, nor does it improve cornering grip.

del-lude
12-31-2002, 11:39 AM

I'd be willing to bet that either my 4Runner or Jimmy could probably do better than your "newly equipped" snow tires anyday and in any condition.

In my pathfinder, 4x4 only helps on getting out of slippery situations at stop and go but when I had my worn all seasons on, it didn't help much at all. Once I put my winter tires on i don't even have to use 4x4 anymore, the tires make a huge difference. What I do notice is that when I'm changing lanes and there is a good amount of snow between the lanes it handles a bit better with 4x4 on going through the snow. Handling is still shitty and braking is the worst with any SUV or truck. Having both 4x4 and snow tires, I find that snow tires are much more valuable than 4x4 can ever be.

GTS Jeff
12-31-2002, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by rage2

4WD can help a car from slipping around while it's moving? Explain that one. 4WD only improves on acceleration. Some people think 4WD have "better handling" in the snow... the definition of better handling comes back as exiting slippery corners faster (acceleration).

Truth is, 4WD doesn't help deceleration, nor does it improve cornering grip. yay! u are completely correct. deceleration and lateral grip are affected by the tires, not by drivetrain layout.

Sketch
12-31-2002, 07:12 PM

Are you fuckin joking? I can take corners twice as fast in the snow with my 2100Lb RWD Corolla than those enormus shitboxes. 4WD is not that big of an advantage when you are driving a 6000lb pig, inertia is still transferred into lateral load on the tyres. Who cares how secure they feel, SUVs still handle like shit no matter what the roads are like.

GTS Jeff
12-31-2002, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Sketch

Are you fuckin joking? I can take corners twice as fast in the snow with my 2100Lb RWD Corolla than those enormus shitboxes. 4WD is not that big of an advantage when you are driving a 6000lb pig, inertia is still transferred into lateral load on the tyres. Who cares how secure they feel, SUVs still handle like shit no matter what the roads are like. dude, ae86s can corner fast by sliding yes...but off the line they can barely move.

if i stop on the slightest incline, the car will get stuck. also, the car tends to throw itself sideways if i punch it even on cold pavement.

do u have an lsd? i think the main reason my car sucks in the winter is cuz i dont have one.

4wheeldrift
01-01-2003, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Sketch

Are you fuckin joking? I can take corners twice as fast in the snow with my 2100Lb RWD Corolla than those enormus shitboxes. 4WD is not that big of an advantage when you are driving a 6000lb pig, inertia is still transferred into lateral load on the tyres. Who cares how secure they feel, SUVs still handle like shit no matter what the roads are like. Briefly stop to ponder the fact that SUVs are not designed to handle like sports cars. Of course they are going to handle like shit. Soft springs and shocks, lousy suspension geometry and high center of gravity makes them not exactly fun to drive. But, all that mass and four wheel drive helps them get traction in a situation where your corolla would be sitting there spinning its wheels.

James
01-01-2003, 12:38 PM

Another victim of SUV marketing :D. It's all about the tires!

:werd:..ive seen so many SUV's sliding all over the place, fishtailing etc.. and it sure dosnt look like they are doing it on purpose.... like me! :D

Ben
01-01-2003, 01:35 PM
I HATE SUV'S!

GTS Jeff
01-01-2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Benny
I HATE SUV'S! thats understandable :devil:

SilverRex
01-01-2003, 02:31 PM

Truth is, 4WD doesn't help deceleration, nor does it improve cornering grip.

what about AWD?

redline_13000
01-01-2003, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by James

it sure dosnt look like they are doing it on purpose.... like me! :D

haha..are u sure about that james:confused: :rofl:

GTS Jeff
01-01-2003, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by SilverRex

what about AWD? lol...

theres no real clear difference between 4wd and awd, u can call it whatever u want. also, different manufacturuers have their own definitions of awd and 4wd.

but generally, 4wd is sorta older technology....basically a transfer case that makes all the wheels act like theyre on a closed diff. awd generally refers to newer tech that have variable diffs that allow for power to go to all 4 wheels at all times, but in varying degrees.

at least i think thats how it is..

Ben
01-01-2003, 02:58 PM
AWD in a car is a totally different driving experience than to that of a SUV/Truck.

T5_X
01-02-2003, 01:53 AM
Some SUVs do very well in snowy and icy conditions. The suspension and AWD system on our expedition is far inferior to the volvo, but traction when changing lanes and crunching through deep snow on the exped is much better. why? Tires, simple as that.

Most brand new SUVs have quite good suspension set-ups that are a million times better than thier truck counterparts. My dad's 99 exped has torsion bars, control arms and air shocks up front with a variable rate 5 link coil spring suspension with lateral track bar out back. Air shocks there too, and fat anti roll bars front and back. This setup is much more secure and comfortable than coils up front and shit leaf springs out back. And for 03 the exped got an independant rear suspension. I've driven an 02 explorer really hard and compared it to a 93, things have improved so much that its unbelievable.

One thing makers of SUVs will never be able to get around, however, is the fact that many fullsize ones weigh well over 5000 lbs. Even now with 4 whl discs and 4 whl ABS on all of em, they still take forever to stop.

My thought? Unless you're driving through deep snow everyday and absolutly treacherous roads, a nice AWD wagon or sedan is a much more logical choice.

That.Guy.S30
01-02-2003, 01:55 PM
i have a suv.. but i really do hate it when ricers try to cut me off.. especailly when ive got that much hp under the hood.. u ricers/ racers hate us suv drivers and we dont like u guys much either.. ahahah but i know how u guys feel when u hop inot ur honda.. u get an erge to be "fast and furious".. hahaha jokes jokes.. i also have a honda.. damn those things handle well..

Sketch
01-02-2003, 07:14 PM
dude, ae86s can corner fast by sliding yes...but off the line they can barely move.

if i stop on the slightest incline, the car will get stuck. also, the car tends to throw itself sideways if i punch it even on cold pavement.

do u have an lsd? i think the main reason my car sucks in the winter is cuz i dont have one.

No sliding is the slowest way around a corner. I'm talking about gripping around corners far better than SUVs and at far higher speeds in the snow and on ice. As for starting, yes its easier for 4WD, but with my car all I have to do is start in second or baby the clutch. Piece of friggin cake. I live in White Rock BC, its all hills here and I get around just fine.

Oh and I'm not running an LSD yet, real soon though.

GTS Jeff
01-02-2003, 10:29 PM
what kind of tires do u have sketch?

Rebecca
01-15-2004, 04:56 PM
Ahem, as a 4Runner owner i have this to say.....

I feel no more secure in my 4Runner than i would in ANY 4wd vehicle, be it car or truck. I am talking weather conditions here...like snow, etc....not about feeling like i'm King of the road because of what I drive.

Most of us have come to love our vehicles so the "mine's better than your's" argument could go on forever...blah blah blah yada yada yada.

And 4 Runner owners aren't rich.... and it's because they drive one that makes them poor. A new one fully loaded is 50 grand in Canada...thats a pretty chunk of change.
Next time you see one on the road, feel sorry for the driver....he's probably flat broke after buying the truck and can't even afford new shoes.

Oh yeah, one last thing.....SUV's are NOT the only things on the road that ride up on your ass...pricks have access to all kinds of vehicles.

Maybe next time say..."SUV drivers suck!!!....Except Rebecca in Canada."

Thank you.

googe
01-15-2004, 05:18 PM
haha, its funny when newbies resurrect these threads over a year old

Rebecca
01-15-2004, 05:42 PM
Even funnier when others reply.....:poosie:

googe
01-15-2004, 05:59 PM
how do you figure? :)

1badPT