PDA

View Full Version : Rust Removal Recommendation

koopkoop2
03-15-2005, 11:23 PM
I have six paint chips on the front of my car that I want to get repaired and repainted. Three are already rusting and I have considered doing it my self, but since I want to be absolutely sure the rust is gone, I want to get it done professionally.

I called around to some auto body places and they told me they only paint large sections of cars. Can anyone here recommend a good place to get this done?

frozenrice
03-16-2005, 08:09 AM
I checked out a place once called Chippy Auto Paint repair. They basically do spot repairs and air brush to blend in the paint to match the rest of the panel. I'm not sure it this is the exact name of the place, but I think I have his business card in the car still. I'll confirm the name if I'm wrong.

ninspeed
03-16-2005, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by koopkoop2
I have six paint chips on the front of my car that I want to get repaired and repainted. Three are already rusting and I have considered doing it my self, but since I want to be absolutely sure the rust is gone, I want to get it done professionally.

I called around to some auto body places and they told me they only paint large sections of cars. Can anyone here recommend a good place to get this done?
this is the proper way to do it.. have the front edge taken to bare metal, and primed painted, the rest of the hood will be cleared... it is what will look the best

Originally posted by frozenrice
I checked out a place once called Chippy Auto Paint repair. They basically do spot repairs and air brush to blend in the paint to match the rest of the panel. I'm not sure it this is the exact name of the place, but I think I have his business card in the car still. I'll confirm the name if I'm wrong.
Doing spot repairs is never guaranted, and is not designed to last. Its to make cars look good for a short period of time. if its not sanded, it aint sticking in the world of paint

koopkoop2
03-17-2005, 10:35 PM
In this case , I'm not so worried about looks as I am about 100% rust removal. It's just for a family sedan, not a show car, so as long as it's not glaringly obvious then it'll be O.K.

Do all of the above mentioned places do a good job of preventing re-occuring rust in the chipped areas?

frozenrice
03-17-2005, 10:38 PM
When I talked to the guy there, he said the repair techniques are basically the same as most body shops - sand, prime etc. The main difference is that they try to keep the repair area as small as possible and when they paint it they feather/air brush the paint to blend it in with ther rest of the panel.

tomsweet1990
03-24-2005, 01:24 AM
do not take it to chippy..it looks like crap and is a pain in the ass to do it properly later

koopkoop2
03-27-2005, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by tomsweet1990
do not take it to chippy..it looks like crap and is a pain in the ass to do it properly later

Doesn't Chippy's specialize in this though? Can you recommend a place that will do it "properly" the first time?