PDA

View Full Version : HID Bulb discoloration.

Kaos
03-16-2005, 11:28 AM
I have 6000k Philips bulbs and one of my headlights is now a different color (almost looks 4300k but a tinge of yellow)
Does this mean my bulb is gonna burn out soon?
Could it be my ballast?

:dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

bspot
03-16-2005, 11:47 AM
Usually as your bulbs age the colour temperature gets higher (a 4100K will look like a 6000K when its old)

Have you looked at the glass? The only think I can think of is if the glass on the bulb itself discoloured. Usually if your ballast is going your bulb won't ignite at all, or it will just flicker.

BokCh0y
03-16-2005, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Kaos
I have 6000k Philips bulbs and one of my headlights is now a different color (almost looks 4300k but a tinge of yellow)
Does this mean my bulb is gonna burn out soon?
Could it be my ballast?

:dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

my driver side is the same....yellowish tinge....

kenny
03-16-2005, 12:08 PM
Your headlamp components may have been yellowed caused from outgassing. Gases from the bulb surface react with the shiny headlamp assembly turning them yellow. This usually happens with lower quality hid bulbs.

CRXguy
03-16-2005, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Kaos
I have 6000k Philips bulbs ....

Originally posted by kenny
This usually happens with lower quality hid bulbs.

When was Phillips considered low quality?

:confused: :eek:

CalgaryB5
03-16-2005, 12:15 PM
Your headlamp components may have been yellowed caused from outgassing. Gases from the bulb surface react with the shiny headlamp assembly turning them yellow. This usually happens with lower quality hid bulbs.

It doesn’t matter on the brands even OEM Philips have shit products. This means the end of the life spend of the xenon burner.

Kaos
03-16-2005, 04:35 PM

I sorta get what you're saying but is this a common thing?
I have had this set-up for about 4 months and were bought used.
I have euro headlamps and I have never seen this happen before.
:cry:
I might just buy a new set.

BTW- Your sig pic, thats a S2000 cutoff right?

kenny
03-16-2005, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by CRXguy

When was Phillips considered low quality?

:confused: :eek:

When they are fake phillips bulbs. I also never said they were low quality, I said the problem usually occurs on lower quality bulbs.

If you are going to replace your bulbs, get a set of 4100K phillips bulbs. It will not look good at first, but once it colorshifts to a bluer look it will be good. 6000K phillips bulbs aren't the best.

The HIDs in my sig are of a modified Valeo projector.

benyl
03-16-2005, 06:51 PM
If his bulbs are rebased to fit in the housing, there is no way of telling if the bulb is a true Phillips bulb.

bart
03-16-2005, 07:14 PM
i hear piaa came out with an HID bulb, its hella pricey, but its the brightest thing available, brighter than the sun or something LOL, they're like almost 200ish each.

kenny
03-16-2005, 11:32 PM
There are 50w hid systems out there as well. They produce significantly more light out there on paper but I haven't seen any comparison pictures. I'm happy with my current system, someday I'll change it up again but not for awhile.

The PIAA is a 35w bulb but I haven't seen any output shots of it yet or any specs even but the price is ridiculous. I think they are catering to the crowd that has always spent endless $ on their halogen bulbs.