PDA

View Full Version : Hooking up a car deck in the house

3G
03-16-2005, 12:14 PM
Since I had a couple decks and speakers in boxes lying around I thought I might put them to good use. Where would I be able to get a 12 Volt adapter or something to power this? has anyone done it before?

d-UNiT
03-16-2005, 12:47 PM
lol thats kinda funny

Obscura
03-16-2005, 01:00 PM
Never tried it but I'm sure if you went to a car audio shop they could give you some leads.:dunno:

RickDaTuner
03-16-2005, 01:05 PM
you just need a ac to dc converter of a minimum of 6amps to run your deck, if you want to run a amp you need higher amperage on your converter, Radio shack has some but they are only 3 amp i think?

if your willing to wait a while then www.Towerhobbies.com has some high quality ones but they cost a bit more

RickDaTuner
03-16-2005, 01:08 PM
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0093p?&C=PKJ

3G
03-16-2005, 01:30 PM
Im not looking to set up a full blown system, just a deck and 2 6 by 9's for now. Can I get a 12V adapter, cut the plug off the end and wire it to the deck instead?

RickDaTuner
03-16-2005, 01:45 PM
you can but all it will do is power up, the moment you try to play the cd it will die on you, those 12 wall plug units have no where neat the amounts of amps needed to run your deck

3G
03-16-2005, 01:50 PM
how about a battery charger? or a car battery with a charger hooked up to it and plugged in the wall

QuasarCav
03-16-2005, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by 3G
how about a battery charger? or a car battery with a charger hooked up to it and plugged in the wall

That is what I would use. Run the battery for the deck and speakers and hook-up a charge controller so that the battery is always charged.

It would look pretty ghetto but it would be the easiest way and the closest to how it would work in a car.

lastprodigy
03-16-2005, 02:11 PM
wow thats uber ghetto....:rolleyes:

Zoom_Zoom
03-16-2005, 02:17 PM
^ It might be ghetto but it does work, I had it set up like that before, but it does take alot of electricity!

spike98
03-16-2005, 02:31 PM
Well i would suggest using a computer power supply. I have used then for many times for testing car CD players. It will also supply power for when the unit is off so you wont loose your clock and sound settings. Amost anyone has a junk computer sitting around that you can pull one out of.

Also a DC-AC converter will work too. You dont need much current to make the CD player run. Maybe 5A. They can be picked up pretty cheap for the low amprage ones.

The battery charge/battery works but those battery chargers will introduce noise into the CD quite a bit. Having a battery hooked up will help to reduce this. And you MUST have a sealed gell cell battery because of the toxic/explosive fumes that normal batteries give off.

If you have any other questions PM me and i can help you.

Zero102
03-16-2005, 04:33 PM
I use a computer power supply in my closet. Puts out 15A @ 12V, powers a deck and a small amp no problem.
Lots of 12V supplies on EBay. That's where I'm getting my next one..

3G
03-16-2005, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by spike98
Well i would suggest using a computer power supply. I have used then for many times for testing car CD players. It will also supply power for when the unit is off so you wont loose your clock and sound settings. Amost anyone has a junk computer sitting around that you can pull one out of.

Also a DC-AC converter will work too. You dont need much current to make the CD player run. Maybe 5A. They can be picked up pretty cheap for the low amprage ones.

The battery charge/battery works but those battery chargers will introduce noise into the CD quite a bit. Having a battery hooked up will help to reduce this. And you MUST have a sealed gell cell battery because of the toxic/explosive fumes that normal batteries give off.

If you have any other questions PM me and i can help you.

How much volts does a computer P/s put out? Where would I be able to get a DC-AC converter on the cheap?

pyro
03-16-2005, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by 3G
iv tried this but i had the whole system running off it and in about 1 hour the battery basically exploded and started leaking made one hell of a mess

spike98
03-16-2005, 05:25 PM
The computer power supply is 12V with various amprages available. This is your best, safest, and cheapest option.

AC-DC converters can be found on ebay for cheap. Used is best because they can get pricey for a good one.

And Pyro, holy shit!!! I have always known stuff like that could have happened but never heard of it accually happening. Good thing it wasn't alot worse.

mixer
03-16-2005, 05:34 PM
Ya a battery in the room? not such a good idea! You guys trying to kill the boy? Dam!!!!

If its a small room and you have the battery charger hooked up to the battery.......we'll you may not wake up!!!

Do not, I repeat do not do the battery and charger thing!

for the following reasons:

1 - FIRE!!!!!
2 - Deadly fumes!

Seems like alot of work...just go pick up a how system at like cash converters etc for like 40bux

It'll cost more then that to get everything together to get the car stereo to work in the home I think.

If you instist on doing it. Pm me I'll may be able to get you a used discarded computer power supply.

good luck!

ex1z7
03-25-2005, 01:19 AM
Jig a PS1/2/dreamcast etc. to your speakers, that isn't hard..

Or your computer..

3G
03-25-2005, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by ex1z7
Jig a PS1/2/dreamcast etc. to your speakers, that isn't hard..

Or your computer..

I could do that, BUT

Originally posted by 3G
Since I had a couple decks and speakers in boxes lying around I thought I might put them to good use.

soupey
03-25-2005, 10:29 AM
use a 12v computer power supply, you'll have to read up on what wires to cross to get the power supply to turn off and on wit the switch, but it will give you enough amperage for what u need. u can get them for like $35 from memory express i think....

maybe throw a cap into it?, haha im thinkn it might be a drain when u first start the power supply but it will come into use whenever you turn up the volume a bit and a lil more current is needed, the cap could come into good use...

hope that helps

aln
03-25-2005, 11:12 PM
its not ghetto haha. i have two power supplies running together with two type r's hooked up to a rf amp. sounds so nice. well maybe it is ghetto because i can't afford a good home stereo haha

AllGoNoShow
03-26-2005, 01:48 AM
I got a shitload of comp parts for sale, including 2 powersupplys ;)

let me know if u want one for cheap, i need $$