PDA

View Full Version : What is the best 4x6 speaker in your opinion

crystal9903
03-16-2005, 09:56 PM
I was just wondering if anyone out there has any suggestions for a 4x6 speaker as I need some help picking some out. Also what is the price range that I should be shopping in to get a really good sounding speaker ? I will be running 6x9 JVC's / 2 10' subs powered by a Rockford amp. The speakers will be run on a MTX amp. Thanks for all of you help.

EK 2.0
03-16-2005, 11:07 PM
Infinity's...the Kappa Series...I will never use another speaker ever...but if you can't afford those...then the Reference Series are good too...

BumpinTalon
03-16-2005, 11:19 PM
if I were you, if you wanted a really good sound I would get a 5.25" component system instead. it'll take some work to fit it but if you really want the absolute best sound you can get for a certain price, a component speaker is the way to go and they can be had for good prices usually, especially second hand.
but 4x6s, the Kappas or even the Reference series are pretty good although I tend to use Alpine or Phoenix Gold speakers whenever I can. the Type S 4x6s sound pretty good, the Octane-R 4x6s sound alright.

Mad$ella
03-17-2005, 01:52 AM
PG titanium series, also the Alpine Type R's are ok...

Weapon_R
03-17-2005, 02:11 AM
Infinity Kappas are the absolute best priced overall speakers you can get.

They won't break the bank and they sound pretty damn good when amplified.

core_upt
03-17-2005, 03:25 AM
JL TR400CXI

these are 4" round speakers that come with a 4x6 plate so you don't have that shitty ovalish sound that totally lacks dimension and staging; granted that a 4" isn't ideal, this is a better bet than something in a typical 4x6 size, plus the ou get the sound quality if a JL speaker. You could amp them, but honestly, it's not worth it. The 'best' option is to forget the 4x6 completely and custom build in 5 1/4" speakers and amp them and get JL XR or VR speakers, or a type R if you just want low's and highs and no mid bass, but then you're looking at $4-500 for that set up, plus the cost of an amp.

I take it this is for a Sunfire or Cavalier???

BumpinTalon
03-17-2005, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Mad$ella
PG titanium series, also the Alpine Type R's are ok...

no such thing as PG Titanium speakers. Type Rs aren't good at all, very muddy sounding.

fresh
03-17-2005, 03:34 PM
I agree with bumpin components are much better.....but my oppinion is the PG Octane R's or Kicker

properonthelash
03-23-2005, 04:49 AM
errrm i used to work at soundsaround so heres some tips.

infinity kappas are great-good price point

mb quartz are incredible-expensive but average speaker had 25-40% markup...mb quartz has 60-80% mark up...this means you can save tons if you shop the salesman or know someone... basically you can get them for same price as kappas

kicker- has a big mark up also...good sound...if you wanted competition style the sx series are unbelivable..but over $1000 a pair :(

rockford....normally even seeing rockford mentioned as a good speaker would make me roflmao but this years rockfords are actually incredible sounding and for a good price point with mark up also

good news bad news...your jvc 6x9s....i would suggest better if u can afford it...jvc stands for just very cheap in the car audio world. but they are o.k for a first time system. and at a great price point.

happy hunting.....never pay full price...ill be out in victoria in early summer if u need any audio help p.m me ill let you know when i am driving down.

properonthelash
03-23-2005, 04:53 AM
one more thing.....what everyone here says is right about getting 5.25 speaks and custom fitting if you can...your car year and model are very important as to whether or not this is possible....want a website to find out.

http://www.crutchfield.com

you can put you cars model and year in here and it will tell you if it is possible...

or you could get kick panels built but thats more money

also i forgot alpine type r's are good also and the type s's are great for sound quality for price point

properonthelash
03-23-2005, 04:55 AM
oh yah at crutchfield scroll down a bit on the left hand side under car/marine..you will see a link to "what fits my car" that is where you need to go :)

A790
03-23-2005, 09:54 AM
4x6's are okay, but a good 4" speaker will sound better.

JL Audio makes a 4" for about $120, from Soundsaround, that comes with an adapter plate to install in a 4x6 mount.