PDA

View Full Version : Uninstalling internet explorer 6

swt_asian_soul
03-17-2005, 12:26 AM
Does any body know how to unistall internet explorer 6. It's a b***h because it is infected with adware and i can't seem to get rid of it. I have tried the control panel--> add remove/programs but it is not listed on there. So does anybody know how.

Thanks in advane

GTS Jeff
03-17-2005, 12:46 AM
Can't be done.

If you want to fix the spyware, use anti-spyware software and learn to browse more responsibly.

FiveFreshFish
03-17-2005, 12:48 AM
Switch to a different browser like Firefox.

http://www.mozilla.org/

Charon
03-20-2005, 02:40 AM
And if you have other users on your computer using IE and installing this crap for you. Do what I did on a computer. Every IE link on the computer had its target changed to launch firefox. Only person that noticed was another guy that knew computers.

604-Mico
03-20-2005, 02:44 AM
Method I
One likely cause of IE6 and OE6 not functioning properly is a corrupted file. Microsoft says this is the "most" likely cause, but I think that's wishful thinking. To run a check on the files and see if one or more is corrupted use the System File Checker that is included with Windows XP.

Click [Start] [Run] and type sfc /scannow in the [Open] box.
(Note that there is a space between sfc and /scannow)

In all likelihood you will be prompted to insert the Windows XP CD ROM. If you don't have it available there is no point in continuing unless you have the files available on your hard drive and have changed the location of the XP installation files in the registry. If you do have the files copied to the hard drive, the default install location may be modified using the registry edit shown below.

[Start] [Run] [Regedit]
Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup
Modify/Create the Value Data Type(s) and Value Name(s) as detailed below.
Data Type: REG_SZ (String Value) // Value Name: SourcePath
Setting for Value Data: [Set using the path to the installation files, i.e. G:\WXPCCP_EN]
Exit Registry and Reboot

In-place upgrade of Windows XP

Repair Windows XP

Reinstall Windows XP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Method II
The second method to try and correct the problem involves editing the registry and reinstalling Internet Explorer 6. The standard cautions apply whenever you are editing the registry. If you need help on how to backup the registry, click here.

If you are having problems only with Internet Explorer 6, proceed as follows:

[Start] [Run] [Regedit]
Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}
Data Type: DWORD // Value Name: IsInstalled
Setting for Value Data: [Change the Value from 1 to 0]
Exit Registry

If you are having problems only with Outlook Express 6, proceed as follows:

[Start] [Run] [Regedit]
Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}
Data Type: DWORD // Value Name: IsInstalled
Setting for Value Data: [Change the Value from 1 to 0]
Exit Registry

If you are having problems with both Internet Explorer 6 and Outlook Express 6, proceed as follows:

Change the values in both of the registry keys as outlined above.
Exit Registry

BerserkerCatSplat
03-20-2005, 03:02 AM
I uninstalled mine through Settings>Add/Remove Programs>Add/Remove Windows Components when I switched to Firefox (Which I highly reccommend).

HOWEVER, it seems to be impossible to completely scour your computer of IE, as I can still access it through MSN Messenger.