PDA

View Full Version : Tool Wish List?

Melinda
03-17-2005, 12:59 AM
Hello all, I got a question for ya :)

I'm looking for a few gift ideas in the tool department. I'm sure I'll get a few ideas from him but it sparked an interesting question:

What's on the top of your wish list for your next tool or garage/shop accessory? :D

Post 'em up! :thumbsup:

FiveFreshFish
03-17-2005, 01:06 AM
AC hydraulic low-profile floor jack:

http://www.asedeals.com/NewJacks4Jpg.jpg

Weapon_R
03-17-2005, 01:09 AM
A good socket set is ALWAYS a nice thing to have. Craftsman or Mastercraft are nice, Snap on says "I love you".

Also, a complete set of wrenches.

Melinda
03-17-2005, 01:11 AM
^^ Haha I already got him both of those, he's getting harder to shop for :)

finboy
03-17-2005, 01:13 AM
i would LOVE a hoist, plasma cutter, chop saw, tig welder, and a nice set of air tools, working on cars would be SO much easier.

DuPont
03-17-2005, 01:13 AM
Does he have compressed air? or looking for hand tools?

Melinda
03-17-2005, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by DuPont
Does he have compressed air? or looking for hand tools?
Yeah, he's been spoiled hardcore with almost all the basics...socket sets of a few different sizes, wrenches, air compressor and a bunch of air tools, gas attachment for his welder...now what the heck is left?!

He already has the chop saw that his friend nicely lets him keep in the garage :)

DuPont
03-17-2005, 01:29 AM
This is my last Snap-on purchase:
micro-polisher (http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=yes&tool=all&item_ID=73735&group_ID=19404&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog)

Cool little toy. So small, and versatile. Spot wetsanding, polishing paint, wheels, headlights...
They have sanding discs, and scuff pads for it too

This (http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=15982&group_ID=2753&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog) will be next to compliment it.

ehos
03-17-2005, 01:33 AM
PLASMA CUTTER!

Then, welder :) But I would kill for a decent Plasma Cutter.

Something cheaper, I just bought is a REALLY nice set of wrenches that have a spanner in the ends (5 degrees to turn). Very nice! (They finally went on sale at Crappy Tire for 49 bucks!).

djfob
03-17-2005, 01:36 AM
gas bottle or engine hoist;)

BlackArcher101
03-17-2005, 01:38 AM
I'd kill for a welder....

Torque wrenches are a must have also (if he don't have em, probably does)..... The kind where you set em and they click off at the desired torque.

How about a few simple things for his shop? Like a crawler for getting under vehicles (if not lowered), new jacks, jack stands, ramps, parts kits (like a variety of screws, bolts, washers, connectors, etc..),

How about a nice tool box? Or how about a parts cart?
Small sandblasting equipment? Enclosed parts washer?
New garage floor coating? (The nice epoxy kind which is smooth and easy to clean).

You could always walk the aisles in princess auto for some neat cheap stuff.

I dunno... maybe a CNC machine :drool: ?

:dunno:

FiveFreshFish
03-17-2005, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by BlackArcher101
Torque wrenches are a must have also (if he don't have em, probably does)..... The kind where you set em and they click off at the desired torque.

Good suggestion - I bought this last summer.

Melinda
03-17-2005, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by djfob
gas bottle or engine hoist;)
Haha I gave you guys the option of the gas bottle or the compressor and you chose the compressor! Be good, I'm not loaded! :tongue:

benyl
03-17-2005, 01:55 AM
A lift.

That way exhausts are easy to work on ;)

djfob
03-17-2005, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by Melinda

Haha I gave you guys the option of the gas bottle or the compressor and you chose the compressor! Be good, I'm not loaded! :tongue:

haha it was a hard decison:burnout:..........hmm can't think of what else he needs

buh_buh
03-17-2005, 02:13 AM
I wouldnt mind having a lift and a dyno.
And a heated garage, or just heated floors.

littledan
03-17-2005, 02:55 AM
definately an engine hoist or an aircompressor

EK 2.0
03-17-2005, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by buh_buh
I wouldnt mind having a lift and a dyno.
And a heated garage, or just heated floors.

if planning on staying in said garage for a while...heat is always a GREAT thing...

but after working with him in his garage space...you could always get him some coverall's, and "getting dirty shoes"...Mel he works on his car in armani jeans and club shoes...hahaha

legendboy
03-17-2005, 10:20 AM
Real men buy their own tools haha :rofl:

Melinda
03-17-2005, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

if planning on staying in said garage for a while...heat is always a GREAT thing...

but after working with him in his garage space...you could always get him some coverall's, and "getting dirty shoes"...
Hahaha Arif his first birthday gift that I ever got him was a really awesome pair of coveralls, custom with his name on them and a big picture of his car on the back...he wore them once, got crap all over them (that was my car's fault) and hasn't had them cleaned to wear them again. Trust me, I used to flip out when he'd head out in a pair of khaki pants or nice jeans to work on the car!

Melinda
03-17-2005, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by legendboy
Real men buy their own tools haha :rofl:
Haha Corey if I recall, your woman has bought you a tool set or two for some gifts...;)

egmike
03-17-2005, 10:28 AM

Haha Corey if I recall, your woman has bought you a tool set or two for some gifts...;)

haha owned yo!

At least when my wife gives me tools i go buy it and she wraps it, thats they way it shoud be :poosie:

Melinda
03-17-2005, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by egmike

haha owned yo!

At least when my wife gives me tools i go buy it and she wraps it, thats they way it shoud be :poosie:
Haha that's pretty much how it works with us...He tells me what he wants, where to get it and then I go buy it and he pretends to act surprised. Haha

legendboy
03-17-2005, 10:31 AM
hey hey hey the pick-your-part tool set doesnt count :rofl:

finboy
03-17-2005, 12:46 PM

Hahaha Arif his first birthday gift that I ever got him was a really awesome pair of coveralls, custom with his name on them and a big picture of his car on the back...he wore them once, got crap all over them (that was my car's fault) and hasn't had them cleaned to wear them again. Trust me, I used to flip out when he'd head out in a pair of khaki pants or nice jeans to work on the car!

get him a gift certificate to rosedale cleaners to have his coveralls cleaned :dunno:

Melinda
03-17-2005, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by finboy

get him a gift certificate to rosedale cleaners to have his coveralls cleaned :dunno:
Not a bad idea, but I think even if they were clean he still wouldn't wear them! hahaha if he wanted to wear them, he'd already have gotten them clean :)

There have been some good suggestions so far, and I know he's reading this thread so maybe he's seen something he likes from your suggestions. Our anniversary isn't until the end of april so I have some time to find something good.

Haha I dont know if he needs anymore tools, seems he has been spoiled enough! :tongue:

ehos
03-17-2005, 01:43 PM
This would be the ULTIMATE gift, but it's a ton of work.

Clean, etch, prime the garage floor. Seal it with Behr's Garage Floor Paint/Sealer. A totally shiny, white garage floor.

I can't wait till summer!

Melinda
03-17-2005, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by ehos
This would be the ULTIMATE gift, but it's a ton of work.

Clean, etch, prime the garage floor. Seal it with Behr's Garage Floor Paint/Sealer. A totally shiny, white garage floor.

The house he's in is a rental, when we buy a house, then we can do some upgrades to the garage :) That's an awesome idea though!

finboy
03-17-2005, 02:07 PM

The house he's in is a rental, when we buy a house, then we can do some upgrades to the garage :) That's an awesome idea though!

hmm, i guess that kills my next idea of digging a service pit so you can work under the car w/o having to lift it. i had one in a garage i rented, and it was THE nicest feature i've ever had in a garage.

Melinda
03-18-2005, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by finboy

hmm, i guess that kills my next idea of digging a service pit so you can work under the car w/o having to lift it. i had one in a garage i rented, and it was THE nicest feature i've ever had in a garage. I've been in a garage that has that, the pit area had a bunch of storage shelves and stuff in it too for oil and parts ect. Really well done, good idea for a purchased house, probably a little expensive though :eek:

finboy
03-18-2005, 01:59 AM
I've been in a garage that has that, the pit area had a bunch of storage shelves and stuff in it too for oil and parts ect. Really well done, good idea for a purchased house, probably a little expensive though :eek:

from my understanding it isn't exactly legal either, even with proper ventilation, but i'm not 100% sure.

damn i wish my buddy didn't get my kicked out of that garage :banghead:

Dirty_SOHC
03-18-2005, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the input guys, I apperciate it:) Also for my sweetie for being wicked all around in supporting my tool and speed addiction. I think I will be heading to princess auto and canadian tire this weekend. But as it stands I have a few choices that I'm trying to decide on such as. Engine hoist, new tool chest, and new crawler.

ZorroAMG
03-18-2005, 11:05 AM
Yeah but I thought you two already bought a new tool at home depot this week??
I'd say get him some more lead pipe and let him mod more of his existing tools hehehe :D

Melinda
03-18-2005, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
Yeah but I thought you two already bought a new tool at home depot this week??
I'd say get him some more lead pipe and let him mod more of his existing tools hehehe :D
Haha that was all Rolland, I just held the damn thing down while he cut it...haha appreantly it worked like a charm, though I dont know how many more tools he can mod :dunno: :rofl:

finboy
03-18-2005, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Dirty_SOHC
Thanks for the input guys, I apperciate it:) Also for my sweetie for being wicked all around in supporting my tool and speed addiction. I think I will be heading to princess auto and canadian tire this weekend. But as it stands I have a few choices that I'm trying to decide on such as. Engine hoist, new tool chest, and new crawler.

wait for a sale at house of tools and that will be your best bet for getting an engine hoist. i bought mine on sale at canadian tire and it was still like $100 more then when house of tools had their hoist on sale. oh well, i needed a hoist at the time anyways.