PDA

View Full Version : Watch what you think

dgmartinez
03-18-2005, 02:31 PM
http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/CalgarySun/News/2005/03/18/965022-sun.html

What is your take on this. Think it opens a bad can of worms

thich
03-18-2005, 02:36 PM
wow that's definitely the first time i've heard of something like this happening.
This sets a big precedent as well.

didn't the judge watch Minority Report?

D. Dub
03-18-2005, 03:20 PM
the sentence will never stick...thats a blatant civil rights violation!!!

QuasarCav
03-18-2005, 03:21 PM
Animal cruelty should be delt with the same as human cruelty.

I dont want to start a debate here but I think 2 years is a slap on the wrist for what he did, If it was up to me I'd cut HIS head off.

:thumbsdow :thumbsdow

Fucking loser

bspot
03-18-2005, 03:22 PM
Meh, I just see it as someone finally getting some prison time for being cruel to animals.

Poor kitties... RIP :(

dgmartinez
03-18-2005, 03:26 PM
While I agree that the bastard should be hung for what he did do.
The thing that bothers me is that the judge used the persons thoughts in his sentencing.

"I am prepared to sentence him for the crimes he may commit," Libby said

That right there sets a bad prescedent.

Pretty soon if we are not carefull looking at a pretty women/man (trying to be PC here) in the bar could be grounds for jail time because YOU THOUGHT about sleeping with her and she did not like it.

awd
03-18-2005, 03:27 PM
weirdness, I grew up in Courtenay.

BokCh0y
03-18-2005, 03:29 PM
that is insane. i can see the point from the judge in terms of attempting to stop this nut from offending in the future.

However it is IMO an abuse of power. Who is he (the judge) to predict what this guy will do in the future? Even though he is classified as high risk and the psychiatrist thinks this guy will re-offend, you just can't charge someone for a crime they haven't yet commited.

This sounds like something out of that Tom Cruise movie Minority Report. I can understand preventative maintenance but this is ridiculous.

Oh well, one less nut on the street I guess.

:dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

streetarab
03-18-2005, 03:56 PM
so in two years he can go rips some more cat heads off?? the guy needs to be committed, for a long time,

civicrider
03-18-2005, 04:03 PM
kinda the same idea but the painter for daivid lettermen, is getting charged for planing to kidnap his daughter and nanny, he didnt do it but he wanted to. it makes sense but since he didnt do it they shouldnt be able to do anything.

rmk
03-18-2005, 04:22 PM
yeah, never heard of this before. i think in certain cases it is a good idea. our court systems and judges too easy-going and spineless .

i don't have any solid data, but a good number of criminals are extremely likely to reoffend at some point in the future. minor petty crimes to murder. i think when it comes to these guys, we should save the suffering and pain from their victims and throw their asses back in jail, only if it is conclusively proven that they have a high case to reoffend and cause trouble.

whenever sex offenders, rapists, murders are released early, they're usually picked up within a week of their release. they should just give them longer and tougher sentances, but our court systems are wacky.