PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Reverse on 240sx

bundi
03-18-2005, 05:20 PM
Hey, I've got a 93 240sx and when I put the car into reverse, it will often grind lightly and then "ka-CHUNK" when it engages... also... while I am "reversing" it will sometimes make a metal-on-metal scraping type noise... sorry if I haven't done a very good job of describing it lol.

Have no probs going forward, no probs going backwards besides the noises... but I'm kinda assuming this stuff isn't typical ;)

Car is stock btw, any help is greatly appreciated.

pyro
03-18-2005, 05:23 PM
im not sure but this is the same thing my friend had before his tranny went. If it is ur tranny reverse will most likely be the first to go.

bundi
03-18-2005, 05:43 PM
damn... but I wonder wtf is going... like what would be making that noise

DonJuan
03-18-2005, 05:57 PM
Sounds like the syncros are starting to go. Solution... rebuild. Other solution, I think you can pick up some tranny fluid stuff at Crappy tire but DONT CHANGE THE TRANNY FLUID! It has a tendency of getting worse when you put new fluid in. This is a temporary fix. Start saving up for a new tranny (easier than rebuilding).

bundi
03-18-2005, 06:57 PM
oh well... guess I'll just have to do the swap now.... :rolleyes:

Kobe
03-18-2005, 07:11 PM
Yup seems like a tranny problem.. Good 1500 - 2000...

ninjak84
03-18-2005, 07:17 PM
Reverse doesn't have syncros on the car. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure.

It sounds like someone might have abused it (jammed it into reverse while it was going forward), and this is the result. Probably will get worse and worse with time, so it might be worth fixing.

bundi
03-18-2005, 08:13 PM
hmm come to think of it I think I may have heard that reverse doesn't have a syncro too.

As for putting it into reverse while going forward... I think this has been discussed in another thread... and I don't think you can put ur car in reverse if its moving forward too fast... I think its geared differently so that everything still moves in the same way just another gear reverses the direction....

I expect to be corrected :D

kazuma
03-19-2005, 12:06 PM
i have a similar problem with my 90 240sx and i had it checked out and i was told the problem was with my differential under load. do u get any weird noises whe you are in first gear and you give a bit of gas and let off? if you hear metal on metal noise then its more than likely ur differential.

EDIT: lol btw im a new guy from manitoba. hello everybody :p.

bundi
03-21-2005, 07:07 PM
Hey New guy from Manitoba :P

I don't have any problems in any gear but Reverse... no sounds or anything either... but the diff might be somethin to consider.. thx for the info.

DonJuan
03-22-2005, 11:50 AM
do the swap, transmission gremlins are the hardest and often most costly to solve.

240droptop
03-22-2005, 01:44 PM
sounds just like my problem only i had it in 1st gear, park and neutral. solution 5 spd swap :D