PDA

View Full Version : Rumors about gas prices

Melinda
03-19-2005, 08:01 PM
Hey everyone, I got an email from a friend of mine today and he said gas is supposedly going up by 11 cents a litre at midnight tonight at most of the gas stations. I don't know how much truth there is to this, but if I were you, I'd go fill up just in case!

toyboy88
03-19-2005, 08:04 PM
thanks melinda...

that's really scary :D premium is already at $0.95/litre, and now plus 11 cents = $1.06/litre!! :eek: :nut:

finboy
03-19-2005, 08:05 PM
wow, i better top up the spirit tonight, it swallows back 94 :eek:

eblend
03-19-2005, 08:12 PM
if it is i am a lucky sob haha, filled up 40 bucks worth just today at 84.3 - 5.5 cents cuz of that citi bank petro canada credit card thing
came out to like 37.50 for damn near 50 littres of gas! WHAT A RIP!

nismodrifter
03-19-2005, 08:21 PM
Yeah it is possible to find out early since gas stations recieve notice from head office to increase prices when something has come up and the increase is required...I used to fill up before we changed the prices on the pumps when I worked at my uncles shop :D
You guys have it lucky, DIESEL is 86.9 over here...that is F'ing CRAZY, cost me $42 to fill up the Jetta (49L).
Regular is 91.9.

Maxt
03-19-2005, 08:35 PM
The general rule of thumb is 1 cent/1 dollar of crude increase, I dont think the 11 cents would be justified, even the long term reports don't put gas prices at 1.00/ litre in peak summer pricing, so not sure about this rumor...Although you never know given what gouging has gone on in the past...
Listening to the reports on crude oil is interesting, there are 2 camps with different takes, one is saying demand is just so high,pointing the finger at China etc etc, the other camps says its speculators driving up the price for inventory dumps and there is no real reason for the increase in the cost of crude, they point to the trending of oil gaining and dropping 12 bucks over the last couple of months , reports say thats just large invesment funds tilting the market for profit rather than natual demand... Who knows, the problem is we can't live without the stuff, and no one knows how much is left...Maxt

kaput
03-19-2005, 09:13 PM

CryoCarnage
03-19-2005, 09:17 PM
I was watching global and they said the complete oposite. They said by summer it should drop. But gas isnt even that bad over here in Ontario. Apparentely we pay one of the lowest prices of gas in Canada. And i though 83.5 Yetserday was high!
edit: Apparentely we have a lot of crude oil left but there is just so damn much competition in he industry that our proces continues to rise.

Weapon_R
03-19-2005, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by kaput
I'm ready to buy a truck but I have to reconsider because of this. Fuck.

*see 'what i drive'*

Do not buy a truck if you are worried about gas mileage. Fuck does it ever guzzle...

Skyline_Addict
03-19-2005, 09:28 PM
if this is true...then i'll have to see if i can find a way to work out some sort of occasional/temporary insurance (but still as the sole driver) of my lude. i don't plan to drive it that much as it is, and i don't want to be paying full insurance coverage for a car i truthfully won't be driving much at all if gas prices are going to skyrocket. if gas prices do go down, then that'll be a different story.

t-im
03-19-2005, 09:33 PM
I don't think gas prices will go up that much that fast. Every year before summer, some gas analyst comes on the news and says "this summer the gas will exceed $1.00L." It didn't happen last year or the year before.

ryder_23
03-19-2005, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Skyline_Addict
if this is true...then i'll have to see if i can find a way to work out some sort of occasional/temporary insurance (but still as the sole driver) of my lude. i don't plan to drive it that much as it is, and i don't want to be paying full insurance coverage for a car i truthfully won't be driving much at all if gas prices are going to skyrocket. if gas prices do go down, then that'll be a different story.

Dont get full coverage :D

I have 2mil liability, theft/hit n run, and limited glass, with a 500$ deduct on theft, and its under 2000$ with 1 ticket...

Full coverage wasnt worth it for me, couldnt afford it, and if i do get in an accident which is my fault, i'm prepared to pay the concequences..

streetarab
03-19-2005, 09:57 PM
you canadians and your funny systems of measurements, wtf, its like your the only one that use that screwed up system of 'metric' what a croc :rolleyes:

on a more serious note, how many fuckin litres are in a gallon, its $2.19 over here for 93 octane and $2.09 for 91, thats per gallon USD of course, its just too bad cuz i dont know what that means

Redlyne_mr2
03-19-2005, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by t-im
I don't think gas prices will go up that much that fast. Every year before summer, some gas analyst comes on the news and says "this summer the gas will exceed $1.00L." It didn't happen last year or the year before.
It did in shit ass Ontario , Quebec part of BC and who knows where else. Heres to living in Alberta:thumbsup:

t-im
03-19-2005, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

It did in shit ass Ontario , Quebec part of BC and who knows where else. Heres to living in Alberta:thumbsup:

in Golden BC (or somewhere near that) I paid $1.06L for octane 89 :cry: ..but when I hit vancouver it was comparable to Alberta (and full serve in Richmond..haha)

Weapon_R
03-19-2005, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by streetarab
you canadians and your funny systems of measurements, wtf, its like your the only one that use that screwed up system of 'metric' what a croc :rolleyes:

The canadian system is far superior to the old school imperial system, which the Americans and other bright countries like Liberia and Myanmar currently still use.

http://lamar.colostate.edu/~hillger/advanceS.gif

Anyways, 1 gallon=3.8Litres

ecstasy_civic
03-19-2005, 10:39 PM
AHHHHHHHHHHHHH FACK!

I was planning on buying a new Ram next week:cry:

This is gonna be a shitty summer should it go that high, maybe ill continue to drive the winter beater:angel:

PS: When I was in BC last yr, I paid $1.09L for premium I took a pic of it but I cant find it now.

But definatley made me second think my purchase:banghead:

fast95pony
03-19-2005, 10:43 PM

Actually it's the other way around. You Americans are about the only country still using Imperial weights and measures. Wake up to the 21st century !

Metric is way more logical than Imperial. But when have Americans been logical.. :dunno:

forkdork
03-19-2005, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by fast95pony

Actually it's the other way around. You Americans are about the only country still using Imperial weights and measures. Wake up to the 21st century !

Metric is way more logical than Imperial. But when have Americans been logical.. :dunno:

When they voted Bush in;)

Edit: .... Twice

saiyajin
03-19-2005, 10:50 PM
oh ya you know cuz metric is so confusing..hmm freezing is 0degrees makes sense nice and simple but i think 32degrees meaning freezing point is much more simplified :rolleyes:

heres a nice quote

"I suspect you do not live in the United States, because here we still use
Fahrenheit, although most of the world is using Celsius (also called
centigrade). Celsius temperatures are plain just easier to work with. There are
exactly 100 degrees between freezing point and boiling point of water. One
calorie will raise the temperature of one gram of water one degree Celsius.

These are not accidents. Scientists realized that their work would be simpler if
they designed their units of measurement to work together. The metric system is
scaled in units of ten, hundreds and thousands because it is easier to multiply
by those numbers. The English system has 12 inches to a foot, 5280 feet to the
mile. 16 ounces to the pound. Remembering those and converting between different
levels of measurement scales becomes time consuming and is likely to cause more
errors. It's a big mess over here in Fahrenheit-land. Celsius is just a better
match for the sensible metric world."

streetarab
03-19-2005, 10:56 PM
wtf, i was jokin :confused: :dunno:

i know metrics are easier...
and i definitly didnt vote for bush...twice :thumbsup:

AcuraTl
03-20-2005, 12:31 AM
wtf, i was jokin :confused: :dunno:

i know metrics are easier...
and i definitly didnt vote for bush...twice :thumbsup:

lol the funniest thing is when u guys do physics, have to convert everything to Meters n shit, then convert back to miles...lmao...all the physics formulae would be huge if u guys worked it out in Miles...

fast95pony
03-20-2005, 02:24 AM
So , did the price of gas go up ??

Rockski
03-20-2005, 03:18 AM
thats what im wondering

Dave P
03-20-2005, 03:26 AM
91.5 at 2 am in edmonton for premium

5.9 R/T
03-20-2005, 03:30 AM
Still at 84.5 here. And according to calgarygasprices.com that seems to be about right. So no it didn't happen, maybe a ploy to get people to buy gas before prices go down again.

vietdood
03-20-2005, 06:08 AM
i don't see why you guys need to complain. the average tank holds about 50L of gas. an increase of $0.05-$0.10 is going to run you an extra $2.50-$5.00 per fill. that averages out to $10-$20 a month. if that extra increase is too much then take transit a few days a week, that will offset the extra $10-$20 you pay a month or could give you bettter savings.

Xtrema
03-20-2005, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by vietdood
i don't see why you guys need to complain. the average tank holds about 50L of gas. an increase of $0.05-$0.10 is going to run you an extra $2.50-$5.00 per fill. that averages out to $10-$20 a month. if that extra increase is too much then take transit a few days a week, that will offset the extra $10-$20 you pay a month or could give you bettter savings.

People are pussies when it comes to gas prices. Just do the math:

Let's say you drive to work with a 40km return trip with a mid size car running premium @ 11L/100km.

That's 4.4L at $0.90/L = $3.96/day.

Your typical bus ride is $3.50/day, so you save $0.50/day or $10 a month. In exchange you spend another hour on a noisy, slow bus. No thanks.

And of course, if you drive a Civic or Hybrid, you probably SAVE more money than riding a bus. Put it in perspective people.

streetarab
03-20-2005, 09:26 AM
people used to come into the gas station all the time and bitch about $.02, i was like wtf, mate, your getting 10 bucks, thats about 5 gallons or A 10 CENT DIFFERENCE, STFU

besides, if you pissed me off, i probably spilled more than that on the ground:D :angel:

Maxt
03-20-2005, 09:54 AM
Now you are thinking that everyone drives the same amount as you and used the same amount of gas which isn't so..
I am doing my taxes right now, gas this time last year was 63.9-65.9, thats 15 cents difference, on a 100 litre tank, thats 15 bucks, if you use a tank week, I was using 2.5-3 tanks per week, so 45 extra a week x 4= an extra 180 per month, on top of the 760 or so every month I spent on fuel, and in my line of work, city transit isn't an option. Yeah I get some of that money back, but only minor a percentage, of it, and its money thats gone from my pocket for more than a year, and money that I paid 40% tax rate on preivous, to make up that 180.00 gone from my pocket I have to earn before tax approx 325.00 , which means for me about another day of work. Rising fuel prices are a tax on earnings and the economy, thats money that is no longer "disposable"... Yes it does go back into the economy, but the question is whether or not it goes back into the economy it came out of.. The media is making a story how good this is for Calgary, but in truth, thats a simplistic and idiotic assumption. Yes we have some head offices here, along with a couple of "locally" owned companies, but ask anyone that is in the oil game, where the oil companies are putting their money, its into alot of offshore development, they are not investing in the local oil fields like they were in the 70's and 80's, along with that, oil field service is moving off shore and out of state as well, yes there is money around , but its in a tight circle. The oil sand is seeing a large infusion of cash, but thats slow and long term slogging up there, inflation of everything largely gobbles up the excess..The "easy" money flows elsewhere..
In my line of work, we would think we would see a direct and strong spinoff of the oil boom, but it doesn't work that way in the world of multinational corporations, nowadays, the oil companies sign large national contracts, with other large companies, which means alot of the work is signed on a national contract basis, the large service companies from older big centres and countries bring in their own people from other places, namely Ontario, and the US, which displaces the local contractor from the oil money flow. It leaves us locals fighting for the scraps, which is ok, until the large transplanted service companies use their oil service revenue stream to subsidy their losses taking the scraps away from the locals, since the large companies, know should oil fall, so will their revenue stream in this market..In the end, they drive the local guys out or buy them out after pummeling the marketplace, and everyone ends up working for a multinational..
Look at the players I compete with:
Direct Energy AKA Centrica, UK based
National Energy Equipment : national Toronto based
Ainsworth Toronto
Carmichael Montreal
Toromont Cimco Toronto
York USA
Trane USA
Carrier USA
None of these guys even buy their trucks locally, and supply all their own equipment parts..
How much money really gets reinvested here?...Not much..
Maxt

ninspeed
03-20-2005, 10:31 AM
max, did direct energy buy out convergient tech?

Maxt
03-20-2005, 11:00 AM
I am not sure, thats a good question as I still see some of their vans around, as far as I can remember they went:
Aaron Controls-->INET-->Convergence

max_boost
03-20-2005, 02:36 PM
Ahh I never worry too much about gas prices unless if it was $3-4 a liter, because then I am not sure driving is worth it. I just feel sorry for the truck drivers!:eek: :rofl:

X_plorer
03-20-2005, 04:26 PM
I don't think a few extra cents, even if gas went up a dime really makes a big difference. My car has a 42 gallon tank? If gas goes up a dime, I have to pay what, an extra $4.20 every 500 kms? Woo, breaking the bank there. I spend more money on useless shit, coffee, candy, newspaper etc... every day then what an increase in gas would put me out. Yeah if you drive a big truck you will notice it more, but when your use to paying 75$ for a fill is another $15 going to make a huge difference? While I don't advocate paying more for gas especially when we produce and refine the damn stuff, I don't think it is a huge deal and my car only takes premium!

forkdork
03-20-2005, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by X_plorer
I don't think a few extra cents, even if gas went up a dime really makes a big difference. My car has a 42 gallon tank? If gas goes up a dime, I have to pay what, an extra $4.20 every 500 kms? Woo, breaking the bank there. I spend more money on useless shit, coffee, candy, newspaper etc... every day then what an increase in gas would put me out. Yeah if you drive a big truck you will notice it more, but when your use to paying 75$ for a fill is another $15 going to make a huge difference? While I don't advocate paying more for gas especially when we produce and refine the damn stuff, I don't think it is a huge deal and my car only takes premium!

You know 42 gallons is 155 litres right?

zain123
03-20-2005, 05:59 PM
i work at a gas station
no price went up yet
monday (tmrw) is when dramatic changes are MOST likely hapening !

but by summer i have heard around the $1 mark for regular..

thinmyster
03-20-2005, 06:15 PM
it just suck that when you think about it just a couple years ago.. I think it was around 45 so its doubled in price from then. Its inflated way more than anyother good?
in that respect it kinda hurts

Rockski
03-20-2005, 06:35 PM
well its still 81.5 when i filled up today

X_plorer
03-21-2005, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by forkdork

You know 42 gallons is 155 litres right?

Sorry, I think I meant 42 litres. Hehe 42 gallons maybe if I drove an excursion or H2...

:D

prodjsxb
03-21-2005, 06:26 AM
Well explain this :bullshit:

I went on a drive with the BMW club here yesterday and when we left the Surrey area Gas was like 92c/litre and when we got to Abbotsford it was 74c/Litre there, we were like WTF? when we got to mission it was 72c/Litre :eek:

Now these towns have for the most part had higher prices for fuel because of their location compared to us so how can they be that much cheaper than the rest of the greater vancouver area all of a sudden? :dunno:

sputnik
03-21-2005, 08:00 AM
I filled up with premium at Safeway for 91.4 cents (minus 3.5 cents) this morning.

Xtrema
03-21-2005, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by prodjsxb
Well explain this :bullshit:

I went on a drive with the BMW club here yesterday and when we left the Surrey area Gas was like 92c/litre and when we got to Abbotsford it was 74c/Litre there, we were like WTF? when we got to mission it was 72c/Litre :eek:

Now these towns have for the most part had higher prices for fuel because of their location compared to us so how can they be that much cheaper than the rest of the greater vancouver area all of a sudden? :dunno:

Supply & demand. Smaller towns are less prone to fluations because storage time is longer. They are still selling gas from 2-3 weeks ago, may be.

Big urban centre's tanks are probably refilled every week.

Plus, gas retail is a very competitive business and there's almost no money in it.

heavyD
03-21-2005, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
Ahh I never worry too much about gas prices unless if it was $3-4 a liter, because then I am not sure driving is worth it. I just feel sorry for the truck drivers!:eek: :rofl:

I agree. I don't really pay attention to gas prices. When my car is low on fuel I fill it up with premium. That's just one of the prices of driving. I actually am hoping that prices go over $1/L as the demise of sport utility vehicles is long overdue IMO.

thinmyster
03-21-2005, 09:15 AM
hahah^^^^ so true i have buddy that'll run it to empty and put ten bucks in. Like WTF fill that shit up so we dont end up pushing it (which has happened) I work at a gas station and there is one guy that will put no more than 3 dollars in his p.o.s. then buy a pack of smokes for ten bucks

edit: yesterday it was 2 bucks 50 cents cash and the rest on debit????? oh yah and a couple weeks before he got busted for no insurance... COOL!!!!!!

Barking_Spidre
03-21-2005, 10:15 AM
I just filled up on regular, it was at 81.4 pretty sure.

redline
03-21-2005, 01:59 PM
price of oil today $56.72 us

price of oil a year ago today $37.93 us

streetarab
03-21-2005, 03:48 PM
saw a pic in the paper today from california, $2.67 USD for premium /gallon, this is gettin outta hand, the high prices do take a while to get to the east coast, but they will be here soon

heavyD,

:werd: :thumbsup:

hows about some math, 1 gallon = 3.79 litres
.26 gallons = 1 litre
1 USD = 1.21136 CAD
0.825520 USD = 1 CAD
2.67 USD United States Dollars = 3.23388 CAD Canada Dollars

so from here we get that 3.79 litres of premium (in one specific gas station in california) equals 3.23 of your canadian dollars. or 85.2 / litre

someone please correct me, i dont think thats right:(

FiveFreshFish
03-21-2005, 08:37 PM
^^^ That's correct, streetarab. Your premium is still cheaper than ours by a considerable margin.

We're over 90¢ per litre here for premium.

http://www.calgarygasprices.com/

streetarab
03-21-2005, 09:02 PM
sucks to be you guys, i thought you were cheaper until i did the math, you guys are getting raped up the ass

FiveFreshFish
03-21-2005, 09:07 PM
A huge portion of the price is tax. :(

http://www.petro-canada.ca/eng/prodserv/fuels/8741.htm

thinmyster
03-22-2005, 01:06 AM
a canadian gallon is different than a us gallon?
im not sure if you took that into account or if it makes a diff

t-im
03-22-2005, 01:08 AM
It seems that gas in the NW is the most expensive in the city (according to calgarygasprices.com)

Sucks for me because i'm not willing to go very far for gas, and every gas station close to me is 85.9 for regular.

rice_eater
03-22-2005, 03:48 AM
so did it happen or what?? i think the bloggers are full of shit on htis one:hitit:

Speed_69
03-22-2005, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by rice_eater
so did it happen or what?? i think the bloggers are full of shit on htis one:hitit:
no it didn't happen..probably sometime soon it's going to happen tho

t-im
03-22-2005, 12:10 PM
I don't think it'll go up 11cents..if anything it'll go up a few cents at a time...

Xtrema
03-22-2005, 01:44 PM
It did in US but /gallon.