PDA

View Full Version : Stationary Bike....good cardio?

TurboMedic
03-20-2005, 11:35 AM
Hey, I'm just looking for straight cardio work, I would buy a cross trainer, but the price exceeds what I want to spend right now....I'm looking for calorie burn more than anything......My question to everyone here is this: is a stationary bike a reasonable cardio workout, or am I wasting my time on one?? I prefer it to running and treadmills, less impact......If anyone can outline advantages/disadvantages please do!

Shaolin
03-20-2005, 11:39 AM
if you're strictly doing cardio then it's fine..

mcshow
03-20-2005, 06:44 PM
if you are looking for straight calorie burn, then hoop on to an eliptical trainer, it is low impact but burns a hella amount of calories

personally i find the stationary bike a great cardio workout but it doesn't burn as many calories as you would like in about 30 minutes mainly because your body doesn't have to support the weight of your body ie when running

but nevertheless doing cardio is better then no cardio

KAVIE
03-20-2005, 07:24 PM
I pose another question if anyone has any suggestions: Which does burn the most fat in 30 mins? I want to be more efficient with my time, am I better to run, swim, elliptical trainer etc?

Thanks

Tyler883
03-20-2005, 09:03 PM
I know this is different for others, but here goes:

I ussually burn about 250 calories in 30 minutes on a stationary bike. Then I have to stop because it hurts my ass. And, ia recumbant is no different because the bottoms of my feet lose circulation in about 30 minutes, instead( strange but true)

I ussually burn about 350 calories in 30 minutes on a treadmill while doing a power walk. I ussually have to stop somewhere between 30 minutes and 60 minutes. Sometimes, I get joint pain in my ankles or knee, or even my back if I have to lean forward to grab the railing. But, with regular sessions it comfortable. I would say that it is lower impact than walking outdoors.

I can easily burn 800 calories in 60 minutes on the eliptical, sometimes as much as 950 in 60. I find it is clearly the easiest to break a huge sweat that willl soak my T-shirt. Yet, I'm comfortable right till the end of the workout. On occasion, for the hell of it, i'll do 90 minutes and still feel fine. My biggest problem is an empty water bottle before I'm done the workout.

Another one that I like is the mini trampoline, I dont know how much calories it burns, but I do sweat more than the stationary bike. Once I get sweating, I'll often switch from a jogging motion to a motion that is more like a bounce from foot to foot. This one is very fun for for me when I have good music playing, I don't know why.

TurboMedic
03-21-2005, 12:07 AM
Hmm, I'll have to do more looking into elliptical trainers then.......thanks for the input....

FiveFreshFish
03-21-2005, 12:14 AM
I walk on a treadmill at about 3.3 to 3.6 mph at an incline of about 13.5% to 15%.

Excellent workout and low impact because you're pretty much walking uphill.

mcshow
03-21-2005, 01:39 AM
yeah the eliptical trainers are great workouts but i totally find that i am not even nearly as tired as when i run instead of the eliptical trainers, so i usually can go for a longer time

but a great cardio workout on the treadmill is to set it on random at around 6 mph and around 6-7% incline and just let the machine go nuts

the speed stays constant throughout the fun but your incline always changes so its usually a crazy good run

cman
03-21-2005, 01:44 AM
i prefer running out over running on a treadmill because i find a treadmill does 25-50% of the work for you.
however during the winter months i use both a treadmill and a stationary bike.

kiwi
03-21-2005, 12:31 PM
I prefer the treadmill! I go on it about 5 times a week for an hour, burning 600 calories each time.

sputnik
03-21-2005, 01:26 PM
I prefer the elliptical trainer. I am able to burn about 1000 calories per hour with a higher resistance level and about 60-65 RPMs.

madmazda
03-21-2005, 07:40 PM
Well as an ex pro Cyclist and still racing provincally, the ammount of time I've spent on an indoor trainer would make every one on this forum puke, so my advice is to do what ever you have to keep your heart rate at a level that is comfy, and that at a level to improve your cardiovascular fitness, use a heart rate monitor and find your max then your average take your mbr then go from there.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Tyler883
03-22-2005, 09:43 AM
You can get one of those trampolines dirt cheap, I'd buy it as a second choice machine. I'm not saying its the best, but I feel that they are under-apreciated.

TrevorK
03-22-2005, 10:53 AM
Buy the one you will USE.

Some people don't like ellipticals, others don't like bikes.

The key is - buy the one YOU WILL USE.

TurboMedic
03-22-2005, 01:27 PM
I don't mind the ellipticals, my dad has one....I wasn't aware of the huge difference in workout value between the two....

Tyler883
03-22-2005, 05:35 PM
Actually, I think that the "huge difference" might only be a small difference for someone that does higher intensity workout than myself.( I only walk on a treadmill)

If you run on a treadmill, or use an eliptical, I doubt that there is much difference in callories, and you are probably in good enough shape to handle the impact from a treadmill workout, anyway.

Am I making any sense?

max_boost
03-23-2005, 04:13 AM
I picked up a diamond back elipitical trainer from fitness depot for $1500, best purchase for cardio. :thumbsup:

Khyron
03-23-2005, 02:11 PM
I bought a 300 dollar elliptical from Sears, works fine. Running is probably better but as you said, high impact. Stair masters are useless for burning cals. Bikes just take too long, BUT it's easier to read when on a bike.

Now that I think about it, mine converts into a bike-like machine as well. Never used it though.

Khyron

badseed
03-25-2005, 10:48 AM
The type of cardio equipment you choose doesn't determine how many calories you burn, your "intensity" level does. You can burn the same amount of calories in 30 minutes running or biking, the key factor is your intensity level.

As far as buying cardio equipment goes, choose something you'll reallistically use frequently. If your enjoy the bike than buy a bike, if you don't like running than don't buy a tradmill, simple as that.

Tyler883
03-26-2005, 01:07 AM
If you're like me, you might want to choose one that you can hang the greatest amount of clothes on...during those times that it's not getting used.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

calgarygts
04-05-2005, 12:57 PM
swimming is the best cardio you can do, if you can swim instead of buying a machine do it. You'll burn more calories swimming than on any of those machines. Bonus: you can wear speedos.

Carfanman
04-05-2005, 02:55 PM
If you want to see how many calories you burn on different things, go here (http://primusweb.com/fitnesspartner/jumpsite/calculat.htm).

Use it to check out how much you burn in whatever the amount of time you work out for, but also check out how many calories you burn per minute.

codo
04-05-2005, 04:59 PM
i dont think that is accurate though carfanman becuase i doubt that hacky sack will burn 297 calories

SUPRAPHAT
04-07-2005, 05:23 PM
You guys wouldn't be using the treadmill if you knew what it did to your joints down the road! That's why I don't like to run outsde or even on a treadmill.

I see it everday, 10-20 years down the road, you will be sorry!

Eliptical trainer for life! The eliptical trainer can still be bad on the hips but not even close to the damage cause ny the impact of running on a treadmil or running outside.

Jason

TurboMedic
04-07-2005, 07:13 PM
:werd:

Carfanman
04-07-2005, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by codo
i dont think that is accurate though carfanman becuase i doubt that hacky sack will burn 297 calories

What weight and time did you enter?

It's probably talking about really intense hacky-sack. You can work up a huge sweat doing that for a while.
Think about it; Your jumpin around, moving your body all over the place. That can be pretty hard.

no_joke
04-07-2005, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by SUPRAPHAT
You guys wouldn't be using the treadmill if you knew what it did to your joints down the road! That's why I don't like to run outsde or even on a treadmill.

I see it everday, 10-20 years down the road, you will be sorry!

Eliptical trainer for life! The eliptical trainer can still be bad on the hips but not even close to the damage cause ny the impact of running on a treadmil or running outside.

Really? How severe is the impact on the joints? I have noticed that after running for too long, my ankles hurt like hell sometimes.

I know that it can make your joints sore, but I haven't heard much about long-term damage.

SUPRAPHAT
04-08-2005, 03:25 AM
Yeah I see runners all the time that have issues with their knees(thats the most commen injury) as well as ankle and feet issues.

It's due to all the stress your weight puts on the lower part of your body from the hitting on the pavement when you walk and run.

That why the eliptical trainer is so good, becuase it's a full body workout and there isn't much impact on the body. Stationary bikes are okay too but can be harmful for your back due to the fact that most people don't actually know how to sit on one of them, haha

Jason

shanetrain1973
09-08-2005, 11:20 AM
I use a stationary bike because my poor knees and ankles won't handle jogging or a treadmill.
I am using a workout on it now that has you raise and lower the tension on it every few minutes, and that is making the sweat pour off of me. Don't just set it at one level and let it go, but adjust the tension to simulate hills, valleys, etc. I go from a sprint for two minutes to being barely able to pedal and it seems to be working!
I know this sounds weird, but I wear a belt like thing (anyone know what it's called) around my torso that makes me sweat there even more.

Carfanman
09-08-2005, 11:58 AM
This is five months old.

lastprodigy
09-08-2005, 01:05 PM
thanks for the bump jesus.....either way.....eliptical is the shit for cardio if i had ii feel i could go for a couple hours more everytime i got off

Lex350
09-16-2005, 02:58 PM
I use two machines. I do about 18-24min on the execise bike and then I hit the rower.

I think the best workout over all the machines is one of those Comcept 2 fan rowers. I got into using one of those when I used to work out at the Winter Club. They had a month where they would record your scores for international rankings in the 2500 meter row. I ended up getting somewhere around 43....to bad it was foe the 75+ age class.:dunno:

Seriously, that thing kicks the crap out of me more than all the other cardio machines.