PDA

View Full Version : Best place to get a Diamond ring?

Hollywood
03-20-2005, 01:17 PM
Whats the best place to get a diamond ring ranging from 1k-3k?

I have heard good things about Spence diamonds, but may be im just sucked into the good advertisments. :dunno:

Thing is, the jewlery industry is just as shady as the car industry.

69cougar
03-20-2005, 01:21 PM
Got my old ladies at Peoples, een around for ever and they are all over Canada in case you need warranty work. Didn't care for Spence and their houler than though attitude. just my .02

Shaolin
03-20-2005, 01:22 PM
there's a place over in westhills that my 2 buddies got their engagement rings from.. he teaches you the whole diamond process before you buy from him though so you know how to read diamonds, etc.. and I think he guarantees price matching as well, so if it's the same cut and you find a price lower than his, he'll match it.

I don't remember the place, but if you want to know who he is, just PM me.

Weapon_R
03-20-2005, 01:28 PM
start off at www.bluenile.com

You may end up purchasing there too - the prices are great.

Rockski
03-20-2005, 01:32 PM
i havent had trouble with ben moss

B20EF
03-20-2005, 01:32 PM
Not tryin to diss you 69cougar, but my girlfriend works at Peoples and she says she would never get a diamond from there. Maybe she just hates work, so she's tainted. You can get really good daimonds from china so maybe try to find a little shop in chinatown.

69cougar
03-20-2005, 01:39 PM
Yeah I have heard that but at the end of the day it is all the same shit. I had an indepent appraisal done to make sure I was not ripped off :)

t-im
03-20-2005, 01:46 PM
Tiffany & Co. - rock solid prices - you won't get jerked around - quality is usually up there, and alot of the styles are pretty classic.

Hollywood
03-20-2005, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Shaolin
there's a place over in westhills that my 2 buddies got their engagement rings from.. he teaches you the whole diamond process before you buy from him though so you know how to read diamonds, etc.. and I think he guarantees price matching as well, so if it's the same cut and you find a price lower than his, he'll match it.

I don't remember the place, but if you want to know who he is, just PM me.

I am a little worried about the "little" shops.

Originally posted by Weapon_R
start off at www.bluenile.com

You may end up purchasing there too - the prices are great.

Tell me more about it.

Originally posted by B20EF
Not tryin to diss you 69cougar, but my girlfriend works at Peoples and she says she would never get a diamond from there. Maybe she just hates work, so she's tainted. You can get really good daimonds from china so maybe try to find a little shop in chinatown.

That's what I would like to avoid as well. I'm not sure I really trust the ben mosses, peoples, mall jewlers etc..

Basically I dont trust any of them at the moment, that why I'm looking for feedback.

Weapon_R
03-20-2005, 02:02 PM
I've never personally purchased from them, but a lot of people I know and some on here have used them to buy from.

I'll give you an example of the price differences.

My brother in law bought my sis an engagement ring from Imperial Jewelers at a price that was better than anyone else's in calgary. Specs on it are:

1.01ct
G Color
SI1 clarity
Princess Cut
$7000

I was looking on bluenile.ca, and the exact specs but bigger diamond (1.25ct) was 5800cdn, far cheaper and so much better.

They are highly reputable in both Canada and the U.S., so its not some wholesale operation you are buying from.

Ed the SOHC
03-20-2005, 02:45 PM
you can save some money if you don't get a canadian diamond but you can't be absolutly sure of what you get unless you get it appraised after (but it should be appraised either way)

i got my fiance's ring at a place called Henry's in TD square. good service there. I spent just a bit over $5000 and I did go with a canadian diamond.

ixlr8
03-20-2005, 06:07 PM
Henry Birks & Sons

www.birks.com

RSeXy
03-20-2005, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by t-im
Tiffany & Co. - rock solid prices - you won't get jerked around - quality is usually up there, and alot of the styles are pretty classic.

Agreed! I LOVE the Tiffany setting.

Also, Harry Winston and Tacori. But then again, you are paying somewhat for the prestige of the name, so you will beable to get a bigger diamond from elsewhere for the same price without the "Tiffany" name. :love:

I checked out Spence, don't really think they are that much better for pricing than anywhere else... I was shown a 1.3 carat, I think it was $11K. I told the lady I was looking at Tiffany as well, and even she agreed that Tiffany quality is hard to match. They do walk you through the diamond buying process and they also have a great insurance policy, lots of different settings to look at.

D. Dub
03-20-2005, 07:36 PM
Beleive it or not Costco gets great stuff.

carzcraz
03-20-2005, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by D. Dub

Agreed. I would definitely not rule out Costco. Some of their diamond rings (and bands) are set in platinum as well

:drool:

JordanLotoski
03-20-2005, 09:30 PM
i picked my wifes up at columbian emralds in greand cayman....dunno if u wanna go that far.

bksze
03-20-2005, 09:49 PM
Bernard at Calgary Jewellers or J.Vair Andersen

Both will make an unique custom ring that will be far better than anything you can pick out of a catalogue at a mall

kiwi
03-20-2005, 11:23 PM

Costco is alright, but not the best. If you're looking for really good quality, then you should try someplace else.

sputnik
03-21-2005, 08:07 AM
Buy your diamond seperately and then get a band for it made.

Otherwise if you go to Spence, Ben Moss and the other chains you will probably end up paying 25-40% than you had to.

thinmyster
03-21-2005, 08:20 AM
also becareful of whats called diamond swapping.. one of my bosses brang his wifes ring in to get reappraised after a few years or something like that only to find out that it was not as good of quality. it had been swapped out for a cheaper quality diamond but i think that thats a pretty big thing now. If you could make a tousand dollars or more depending on type of ring? if im not mistaken he did all his repairs at a reputable store but there in the end there is really no way of proving this because it could be you commiting fraud and just passing the blame? at least thats what they would accuse you of doing.

so when you do find your ring becareful and take it to someone you trust

stick-boy
03-21-2005, 08:46 AM
Birks has some really nice stuff. check it out.

D. Dub
03-21-2005, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by kiwi

Costco is alright, but not the best. If you're looking for really good quality, then you should try someplace else.

I disagree, what's the best? a store with a fancy name? You obviously don't know much about diamonds if you don't think
Costco has quality rocks.

The guy is looking to only spend about 1-3K, at Costco he can spend that and get a rock that appraises at about 20-30% higher.

Costco rocks are very high quality and the only thing they lack is the "bling/name factor" and the "fancy store" box.

It's about the diamond..... not the box it comes in, the fancy store surrroundings, or the fruity, froofy salesperson that fawns over you. :rolleyes:

abyss
03-21-2005, 09:55 AM
From experience, the girl is NOT going to look at the box when you propose. What? rings come in a box?! I thought they just floated there above his hand waiting for you to greedily snatch it. LOL ;)

Hollywood
03-21-2005, 10:24 AM
I quickly looked at the rings in costco a month ago. I dont remember much except the selection was kinda small. But I will revist. Costco is a name that can be trusted IMO.

I will also look into the internet one too.

I will probly avoid the shops that charge more just cause of the shops bling factor or name. Only greedy materialistic money digging bitches care about that shit yo!

I'm also looking into a source that works at a diamond mine up north.

Weapon_R
03-21-2005, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Hollywood

I will probly avoid the shops that charge more just cause of the shops bling factor or name. Only greedy materialistic money digging bitches care about that shit yo!

:rofl: :werd:

Tiffany does not make a "higher quality ring" than any good jeweler can. Neither does Tacori. In fact, both bands can be replicated exactly the same by any competant jeweler for thousands less (and don't kid yourselves, tiffany and tacori use the same diamonds as anyone else, its the band that may be different).

max_boost
03-21-2005, 10:42 AM
I checked out a place in Market Mall. Its a family owned business, he used to be in some town north or Edmonton for years...

Anyways, its called de beerj and i was quite impressed with what he had as well. There is also a trend where it doesn't have to be a diamond, just another precious rock. That way you can get a colored rock, maybe have it accented with smaller diamonds on the side, that way you can save some money and get a pretty ring.

Materialistic Money Digging bitches? There must be a lot since the companies mentionned have been around for a very long time.

:rolleyes:

*RSeXy*

lint
03-21-2005, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
Materialistic Money Digging bitches? There must be a lot since the companies mentionned have been around for a very long time.

*RSeXy*

The marketing the above mentioned companies use create the materialistic money digging bitches.

"You only paid $XXXX for that ring? tsk tsk tsk?

max_boost
03-21-2005, 10:58 AM
I think anything involving diamonds can create gold digging biatches.

Its the significance that matters. And congrats to you Adrian. Your girl should be very happy with whatever you end up with.

Kind of off/on topic...I've read that when deciding to buy an engagementring, 3 months salary should be be amount you spend on it...or so at least this is what i've read. :dunno:

*RSeXy*

Melinda
03-21-2005, 11:01 AM

Its the significance that matters. And congrats to you Adrian. Your girl should be very happy with whatever you end up with.

Kind of off/on topic...I've read that when deciding to buy an engagementring, 3 months salary should be be amount you spend on it...or so at least this is what i've read. :dunno:

*RSeXy*
I've heard two :dunno: Either way, if the guy works full time at a half decent job, it is generally way too much to be spending on one engagement ring! :eek:

abyss
03-21-2005, 11:04 AM

*RSeXy*

I've heard that too, but apparantly it is just a scam put out by the diamond companies to try and get you to spend more. As long as you end up with a ring that makes you happy, price doesn't matter. My best friends ring was only $600, but it was EXACTLY what she wanted. I'd rather have the ring I have than have me and Minh be in any more debt. Houses are expensive!

sputnik
03-21-2005, 11:09 AM
3 months salary should be be amount you spend on it...or so at least this is what i've read. :dunno:

When my finance and I were ring shopping a salesperson at Spence told that 3 months GROSS salary was the standard. When I told my finance that she laughed and told me if I did anything that stupid she would pawn the ring and buy a car and much more modest ring.

Anyone who gets suckered into spending 3 months gross salary should be taken out back and get his panties beaten off of him.

D. Dub
03-21-2005, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

When my finance and I were ring shopping a salesperson at Spence told that 3 months GROSS salary was the standard. When I told my finance that she laughed and told me if I did anything that stupid she would pawn the ring and buy a car and much more modest ring.

You sir .......married well!!!!!:D

D. Dub
03-21-2005, 11:28 AM
I quickly looked at the rings in costco a month ago. I dont remember much except the selection was kinda small. But I will revist. Costco is a name that can be trusted IMO.

Yeah that is a problem with Costco; their selection:(

Great stuff but limited selection.

D. Dub
03-21-2005, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Melinda

I've heard two :dunno: Either way, if the guy works full time at a half decent job, it is generally way too much to be spending on one engagement ring! :eek:

Melinda,

I've seen lots of your posts and thought damn......what a great woman!!!!!

Now you've confirmed it!!! :thumbsup:

Unfortunately my wife won't let me date, and you're too young anyways!!!!:tongue:

max_boost
03-21-2005, 11:38 AM

Agreed. I'd want a ring that MB was comfortable with, price-wise. I don't want him thinking he has to compete with J. Lo's bling! LOL...although if him and I were a multi-millionaires I wouldn't turn down a pink diamond!! :love: I don't know what I'd do if god forbid I lost the damn thing. :nut:

*RSeXy*

sputnik
03-21-2005, 11:52 AM

I don't know what I'd do if god forbid I lost the damn thing. :nut:

*RSeXy*

That was actually the main concern of my finance. She also works with her hands (commercial photographer) so the last thing she wanted was a ring that would constantly be getting snagged on stuff.

We settled with a nice diamond in a titanium tension set band.

http://www.titaniumcommitment.com/pix/atomimg.jpg

rockym20
03-21-2005, 11:53 AM
If you want something different, go to:

http://www.titaniumera.com/

I got my wife's engagement ring (with a blue sapphire) from there. We are extremely happy with it and I guarantee you can get her something unique.

If you want to go with a gold or platinum ring of your own design, there is a guy in Inglewood who makes custom jewelry that is very high quality. Its not as expensive as you might think. You can probably get a completely custom ring with a quality rock from a shop like this for cheaper than going to a place like Birk's for a standard ring.

Oh, and remember that jewelry is about as good as an investment as a car is. Although there isn't much depreciation, the market value drops substantially the moment it leaves the store. So don't let anyone convince you that buying a ring from one of the expensive shops represents a good investment. This is just really good advertising and hype by the industry.

This is my wife's:
http://www.titaniumera.com/order/order-carved-cleopatra.html

brandon
03-21-2005, 11:54 AM

Anyone who gets suckered into spending 3 months gross salary should be taken out back and get his panties beaten off of him.

:werd: how about you buy them the ring and not tell them how much it cost? lol

brandon
03-21-2005, 11:57 AM

That was actually the main concern of my finance. She also works with her hands (commercial photographer) so the last thing she wanted was a ring that would constantly be getting snagged on stuff.

That is an amazing ring!

max_boost
03-21-2005, 11:58 AM

Wow! I really like that setting! Very nice! Its a fresh look from the traditionnal settings.

Melinda
03-21-2005, 12:00 PM

Melinda,

I've seen lots of your posts and thought damn......what a great woman!!!!!

Now you've confirmed it!!! :thumbsup:

Unfortunately my wife won't let me date, and you're too young anyways!!!!:tongue:
:rofl: Haha thanks for the awesome compliment, but I'm pretty happy with who I'm with now ;)

Haha you made my day though, I think your wife better keep an eye on you!:burnout:

statick
03-21-2005, 12:59 PM
birks and sons in TD has some real nice stuff, not sure bout the price though.

Hollywood
03-21-2005, 01:23 PM
Thanks guys for the help and the opnions. This thread is moving to fast for me to quote anyone.

I do agree 3 months salary is crazy!

ZorroAMG
03-21-2005, 01:37 PM
Jewels by Maxxine in Chinook or TD downtown has some nice stuff but it may be overpriced and hyped, perhaps. Check it out for fun. Also there is a store on 17th ave SW around 10th-12th street on the south side. If I remember the name I'll repost here.

sputnik
03-21-2005, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
Also there is a store on 17th ave SW around 10th-12th street on the south side. If I remember the name I'll repost here.

Its called Calgary Jewellery and its across the street from CIBC and Blockbuster.

D. Dub
03-22-2005, 10:03 AM

:rofl: Haha thanks for the awesome compliment, but I'm pretty happy with who I'm with now ;)

Haha you made my day though, I think your wife better keep an eye on you!:burnout:

She doesn't have to keep an eye on me....

I'm too scared of her to get in trouble :eek:

Singel
03-22-2005, 01:55 PM
Just buy an onion ring from A & W a la Homer Simpson. Do women still wear their engagement rings after the wedding, or do they usually switch to the wedding band? Seems like an awful lot of money for a year or 2 of wear:dunno:

Melinda
03-22-2005, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Singel
Just buy an onion ring from A & W a la Homer Simpson. Do women still wear their engagement rings after the wedding, or do they usually switch to the wedding band? Seems like an awful lot of money for a year or 2 of wear:dunno:
99% of women wear their engagement ring and their wedding band on the same finger for the rest of their lives...I know my mom and grandmother still do

kiwi
03-22-2005, 02:04 PM

I disagree, what's the best? a store with a fancy name? You obviously don't know much about diamonds if you don't think
Costco has quality rocks.

The guy is looking to only spend about 1-3K, at Costco he can spend that and get a rock that appraises at about 20-30% higher.

Costco rocks are very high quality and the only thing they lack is the "bling/name factor" and the "fancy store" box.

It's about the diamond..... not the box it comes in, the fancy store surrroundings, or the fruity, froofy salesperson that fawns over you. :rolleyes:

I never said that diamonds are only nice when there's a bling label attached to it :rolleyes:

& you would know that I don't know much about diamonds eh? :rolleyes:

I KNOW that there are better diamonds than costco out there that aren'ts overly priced. My whole family is involved w/ diamonds in some way, so I would think that I'd probably know a little bit more about them than you?

lint
03-22-2005, 02:07 PM

My whole family is involved w/ diamonds in some way, so I would think that I'd probably know a little bit more about them than you?

Smugglers??

:D

BerserkerCatSplat
03-22-2005, 02:28 PM
A lot of the Titanium settings have a very unique look, more modern and functional than traditional settings.

Here's the Cleopatra one that rockym20 mentioned, I think it's very cool.

http://www.titaniumera.com/ordergraph/carved-cleopatra.jpg

D. Dub
03-22-2005, 02:36 PM

I KNOW that there are better diamonds than costco out there that aren'ts overly priced. My whole family is involved w/ diamonds in some way, so I would think that I'd probably know a little bit more about them than you?

OK....prove that Costco diamonds are inferior quality.

Weapon_R
03-22-2005, 02:37 PM
Saying that an entire store's diamond inventory is inferior to anothers is ridiculous. Fact is, you can get some of the most incredible diamonds from almost any retailer if you had your heart set on it.

t-im
03-22-2005, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSpl
A lot of the Titanium settings have a very unique look, more modern and functional than traditional settings.

Here's the Cleopatra one that rockym20 mentioned, I think it's very cool.

http://www.titaniumera.com/ordergraph/carved-cleopatra.jpg

I personally think that's kinda ugly (but thats just me)

I like the more traditional engagement rings - princess or round diamonds in a solitare setting...maybe with side stones.

I think a diamond ring shouldn't try to be "trendy" or "modern" as it won't look that great in 20+ years...if you're still married by then. :)

http://www.tiffany.com/images/diamond/photo/engagement_tiffany_ring.jpg

http://www.tiffany.com/images/diamond/photo/engagement_lucida.jpg

and no, i'm not saying it has to be Tiffany, i'm just using the pictures for refrence.

RSeXy
03-22-2005, 02:41 PM
A diamond solitaire in the Tiffany setting on a platinum band is my dream engagement ring. :love:

t-im
03-22-2005, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by RSeXy
A diamond solitaire in the Tiffany setting on a platinum band is my dream engagement ring. :love:

bling bling bling

is that a hint for a certain somoene?? :rofl: :rofl:

rockym20
03-22-2005, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by t-im

I personally think that's kinda ugly (but thats just me)

Ya, because it isn't a traditional ring, it tends to be one where you either look at it and go "cool" or say "no thanks". If you want a big rock (which she didn't), this setting would be a poor choice to show it off.

Jewelry tends to be very individual. A lot of people want a huge ring with massive rock(s) to show off. Both my wife and I find them gaudy and prefer something more subdued.

No matter what you like, remember that she is the one who is going to be wearing it. Buy it for her, not you.

Celica TVS3
03-22-2005, 04:42 PM
The jewelry industry, especially the mall/high output retail reminds me of the car industry.

If you want to deal with extremely kind, patient, qualified people go to a shop called JB Jewelers. The lady that runs it has a huge list of gemological accreditations to her name and is an extremely tallented designer. (http://www.jbjewellers.com/about_us.htm) She won’t try to up sell you on something you can’t afford. And if you can’t find anything in the show room she can design anything you like from scratch. I highly recommend checking them out, you won’t be disappointed.

i just grabbed her email address from her website : [email protected]

Aaron

Singel
03-22-2005, 08:11 PM

You sound like a small operation who aren't willing to admit that the big boys can have equal, and even better quality at a more reasonable price, although you do lose the personal touch. I can't say that specifically about you, but its just a general example about small business in many industries. A lot of the time its worth the extra $$ to support the little domestic guy, but its all personal preference

Hollywood
03-22-2005, 08:36 PM
The titanium ring website has cool rings, I like the idea of the titanium for sure, Its what Ill try to get. But that websites prices on diamonds suck, compaired to what I have seen elsewhere.

Crasian
04-04-2005, 11:20 AM
OK....prove that Costco diamonds are inferior quality. [/B][/QUOTE]

Costco uses IGI Certificates. IGI labs grade ALL diamonds higher than they really are, usually by about one grade in clarity and color, cut is a little bit more subjective.

When looking for a certified diamond always go with more reputable labs. (GIA, AGS, HRD)

Oh and also think about it this way... Do you really want to propose to your gf with a costco box? and whos going to service and size it?

D. Dub
04-04-2005, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Crasian

Costco uses IGI Certificates. IGI labs grade ALL diamonds higher than they really are, usually by about one grade in clarity and color, cut is a little bit more subjective.

When looking for a certified diamond always go with more reputable labs. (GIA, AGS, HRD)

Oh and also think about it this way... Do you really want to propose to your gf with a costco box? and whos going to service and size it? [/B]

Sorry, buddy,

but Costco gives an IGI Appraisal AND a GIA Diamond Grading Report with their rings.

Hollywood
04-04-2005, 06:32 PM
OK....prove that Costco diamonds are inferior quality.

Oh and also think about it this way... Do you really want to propose to your gf with a costco box? and whos going to service and size it? [/B][/QUOTE]

Ya it's not like the costco gives you a soup box to put your ring in......:drama:

Sorry, buddy,

but Costco gives an IGI Appraisal AND a GIA Diamond Grading Report with their rings.

This is good to know. That diamond place that weapon R mentioned uses GIA too.

D. Dub
04-04-2005, 06:43 PM

Ya it's not like the costco gives you a soup box to put your ring in......:drama:

and they make you box it yerself too!!!

Hollywood
04-04-2005, 06:56 PM
Uh oh database errors.

Weapon_R
04-04-2005, 06:59 PM
Whenever you buy ANY diamond, make sure it is GIA graded and inscribed. This serves two purposes;

1) GIA is a highly respected organization. Any grading will accurately represent exactly what you are going to get.

2) Inscribed diamonds provide buyers with security when you go into a diamond shop to have it cleaned/serviced. Some shady jewelers switch diamonds for lower quality - when you have a diamond that is inscribed, jewlers can't get away with that.

Crasian
04-04-2005, 08:48 PM
Whenever you buy ANY diamond, make sure it is GIA graded and inscribed. This serves two purposes;

1) GIA is a highly respected organization. Any grading will accurately represent exactly what you are going to get.

2) Inscribed diamonds provide buyers with security when you go into a diamond shop to have it cleaned/serviced. Some shady jewelers switch diamonds for lower quality - when you have a diamond that is inscribed, jewlers can't get away with that.

:werd: But your not going to find an engraved diamond that isn't branded (you'll pay a premuim) Try Canadian if you want engraved.

Are you serious with the costco? Hey Wal-mart sells 'jewellery' too. :rofl:

lint
04-04-2005, 09:46 PM

Although GIA is a very well known grading lab, AGS would be a better choice. Simply because AGS also grades the diamond's cut, whereas GIA does not.

D. Dub
04-04-2005, 09:52 PM

Are you serious with the costco? Hey Wal-mart sells 'jewellery' too. :rofl:

Listen ye who knows little of what he speaks.

Costco is not Walmart. Costco is not retail, its a purchasers co-op for small business owners, union members, etc.

You can't buy rings for 60 US large at Walmart. :D

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=11041988&whse=BC&topnav=&cat=3134&hierPath=108*3134*

Or solitaires for 30 US large.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=11027982&whse=BC&topnav=&cat=175&hierPath=108*175*

Pompous twit.. :rolleyes:

Weapon_R
04-04-2005, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by lint

Although GIA is a very well known grading lab, AGS would be a better choice. Simply because AGS also grades the diamond's cut, whereas GIA does not.

GIA does comprehensive grading on their diamonds. For a quick rundown, here is what GIA grades:

Clarity
Color
Flourescence
Comments
Additional inscription
Finish
Cutlet
Girdle
Table
Depth
Proportions
Weight
Measurement
Shape and cutting style
Laser inscription registry

Seems to cover the cut of the diamond...

Hollywood
04-04-2005, 10:24 PM
ummm Costco sells a;

10.61 ct Fancy Intense Yellow Diamond Ring
Platinum & 18 kt Yellow Gold
$179,999.99 US
Total Diamond Weight: 12.19 ctw

http://www.costco.com/Images/Content/Product/11038113L.jpg

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?ec=BC-EC302-Cat4141&pos=2&whse=BC&topnav=&prodid=11038113

danno
04-04-2005, 10:39 PM
ive been thinking about getting my girlfriend a ring. any suggestions?

lint
04-04-2005, 10:43 PM

GIA does comprehensive grading on their diamonds. For a quick rundown, here is what GIA grades:

Clarity
Color
Flourescence
Comments
Additional inscription
Finish
Cutlet
Girdle
Table
Depth
Proportions
Weight
Measurement
Shape and cutting style
Laser inscription registry

Seems to cover the cut of the diamond...

Nowhere in that list does GIA grade the diamonds cut. Here's the link to the GIA report:
GIA report (http://www.gia.edu/ebay/gradingreports/DGR1.htm)

Quote from the AGS (http://www.ags.org/consumers/Diamond_Buyers_Class/cut.asp) site:
The AGS Laboratories was the first diamond grading entity to provide consumers with a credible analysis of diamond cut, including the diamond's symmetry, proportions and polish.

Here is the diamond cut (http://diamonds.pricescope.com/cut.asp) link from www.pricescope.com

max_boost
04-05-2005, 01:09 AM
ummm Costco sells a;

$179,999.99 US

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?ec=BC-EC302-Cat4141&pos=2&whse=BC&topnav=&prodid=11038113

That's HAWT! haha...in my wildest dreams! :hitit: :eek: :love:

10.61 ct is gi-NOR-mous!

Lynds

Melinda
04-05-2005, 01:18 AM
ummm Costco sells a;

$179,999.99 US

:eek: I would NOT feel safe walking around wearing something like that!

Bucktown
04-05-2005, 01:43 AM
if you feel like coming to edmonton, theres a guy here who has won the debeers diamond championships for like 15 years. his name is mark katzeff, and his work is spectacular. ive had 3 rings custom made/designed, and hell fence any diamond in your price range. the work is immaculate and recognized on site at any appraiser ive been to. his pricing is very decent too, especially if you supply your own gold (any old stuff, or you can buy it by the half ounce if your up to it.) his # is 780 421-GEMS. call him, you wont be dissapointed.

also, if your worried about swapping, consider a bezel set. if i had my cam, id snap a pic of one of my rings. stealing my big diamond would be impossible, short of melting it down again, lol

good luck to you

hampstor
04-05-2005, 08:11 AM
I almost bought a ring from martins in sunridge mall.. really good service there, just they didnt have the ring I wanted to buy for my fiance.

heavyD
04-05-2005, 10:55 AM
Bro, you should have asked me. I got Liz's ring from Jewels from Maxxine but like Zorro said they aren't the cheapest but then I don't cheap out on everything but my car like some other people.

Believe it or not I was really impressed by the little shop in Westhills that some of the guys were talking about earlier. We got our bands from him and the pricing was way cheaper than other places. I also liked that we talked to the guy who owns the business and not just a salesperson. He got a band made that matched the ring perfectly. Ask Liz if you want more info.

abyss
04-05-2005, 11:14 AM
We still need to get our bands, so if anyone has any suggestions let us know! Not too fancy or expensive, and I'd like them to both be the same, my engagement ring will match with pretty much everything.

Weapon_R
04-05-2005, 11:27 AM
Check out Imperial Jewelers in London Town Square. He can make any band you like, if he does not have it in stock. Also, you can talk him down a little if you make bigger purchases.

D. Dub
04-05-2005, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by abyss
We still need to get our bands, so if anyone has any suggestions let us know! Not too fancy or expensive, and I'd like them to both be the same, my engagement ring will match with pretty much everything.

Titanium is great for men. I went with titanium for my band. I'm a big guy and it's great because I turn gold bands oval and bend and bang the crap out of them!!! Plus it's so light you almost don't know it's there.

I went for a plain titanium band and I just polish it myself when it looks scratched up :thumbsup:

abyss
04-05-2005, 11:41 AM
We were a little worried about titanium due to issues if we ever needed it resized, we talked about it before he bought the engagement ring. Hampstor isn't a huge guy, and he takes care of his grad ring better than I do, so it's no worry about it getting damaged. Thanks for the suggestions though, I'll write them down and we'll have to go ring shopping...again....:D

Charon
04-05-2005, 06:06 PM
ummm Costco sells a;

$179,999.99 US

That is one UGLY ring. Too much bling and it looks like something out of a vending machine.

TomTom
04-05-2005, 07:38 PM
Spece, got 2 rings from there always liked the selection and iv always got good service.