PDA

View Full Version : Need your advice

girlRACER
12-31-2002, 04:12 AM
I have lots of questions...

I just purchased one of these:

http://members.shaw.ca/jdho/sub1.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/jdho/sub2.jpg

What kind of amp should I get to run it? Any suggestions. I need at least 350watts. I don't want to spend any more than $400. As well, is it a big difference if I buy a monoblock or a 2-channel amp?

I've been looking at a few...there is a 400watt Clarion (forgot the model name) for $300 on sale at A&B. As well, there is a 500 watt Fusion amp (forgot the model name again) regular priced $550 on sale for $350. I've also been searching on the net and I found a Hifonics Zeus-series Z4000 amp (350watts) for $310.

As you can see I know absolutely nothing about stereo systems.

As well, should I get a custom box or one that is pre-made? ported or sealed? If so, where can I get it made and which place is good?

I would appreciate your advice. Thanks :)

Fluidic
12-31-2002, 04:15 AM
Are you purchasing an aftermarket deck (like in Rage's Porsche) or are you just going to attempt to hook it up to your stock Mercedes deck?

Nice subwoofer btw... that thing pounds... and it still has one of the best SQ (sound quality) ratings in the business! :)

Peter

girlRACER
12-31-2002, 04:17 AM
I'm just gonna hook it up to my factory deck. So it's an okay sub? I have no idea...crxboi recommended I buy this one.

CRXguy
12-31-2002, 04:20 AM
Shoulda bought my sub! hehe

Fluidic
12-31-2002, 04:26 AM
Originally posted by girlRACER
I'm just gonna hook it up to my factory deck. So it's an okay sub? I have no idea...crxboi recommended I buy this one.

Yep a good sub. Does your factory deck have RCA outputs... or are you just going to have a professional tap into your rear speakers and run a speaker-level-input into your amplifier?

Technical question, I know, but it's somewhat important when dealing with sound quality and bass reproduction in music.

:bigpimp:

Peter

Weapon_R
12-31-2002, 04:35 AM
It sounds okay, but it isn't very loud. If you are planning on putting it into your trunk, you may not be able to hear that because of the low bass.

Get the monoblock if you can, or get the 2 channel if you can bridge them. Either the clarion or fusion will give you enough power, but i'd go with Clarion since they have such clear sounding components.

girlRACER
12-31-2002, 04:39 AM
Originally posted by Fluidic Digital

Yep a good sub. Does your factory deck have RCA outputs... or are you just going to have a professional tap into your rear speakers and run a speaker-level-input into your amplifier?

Technical question, I know, but it's somewhat important when dealing with sound quality and bass reproduction in music.

:bigpimp:

Peter

I have no clue :dunno: I am planning to get it professionally installed though.

Fluidic
12-31-2002, 04:41 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
It sounds okay, but it isn't very loud. If you are planning on putting it into your trunk, you may not be able to hear that because of the low bass.

Hmmm... that or fold down the seats whenever you want to "show-off"! :bigpimp: :bigpimp:

Peter

Redlyne_mr2
12-31-2002, 11:42 AM
Jackie..there are so many options when dealing with subs. Wether you go with a 2 channel or a monoblock is dependent on your sub, im not aware ofthe specs on the sub so its hard to say what the best setup up would be. You donot need 350 watts however 200 watts of clean power would be be perfect. Keep in mind that with a convertable you will loose alot of sound..a ported sub would probably be the best way to go , problem is you may not have the room for it in your car. The best thing to do is find a good professional (usually small) stereo install shop and go to them for advice and installation questions, its usually those small places that offer the best advice and skill. good luck

Ben
12-31-2002, 12:08 PM
I have a Phoenix Gold Monoblock Jackie, works great!

Give me a call this weekend Jackie, we'll get you all sorted out.

jdmakkord
12-31-2002, 12:18 PM
Go talk to Jason at audioconcepts, he can set you up with a great amp, plus they have a few on sale now. And for a custom install, check out the brand new svt cobra in their showroom.

rage2
12-31-2002, 12:43 PM
You're going to have to buy a lot of stuff to get it to work on the SLK.

AFAIK, the SLK's factory deck has speaker level outputs (I might be wrong on this one). The factory amp takes speaker level inputs from the deck, and powers the front 4 speakers as well as the 2 rear subs behind the seats. A built in crossover filters out only the lows to the subs.

To install those subs with a BIGGER amp, you will have to install a new deck (with line outs and speaker outs) and wire the speaker outs to the factory amp. Wire the line outs to a crossover, then to the new amp for your subs. Cut the sub wires out from the stock amp and wire them to the new amp. Install subs. If you get a higher end deck that doens't have speaker outs, you'll need another 4 channel amp for the front speakers, replacing the factory amp completely.

We've tried wiring line outs to the factory amp, and umm, it doesn't work too well. Lots of odd clicks and pops. It's SUPPOSED to support both line level and speaker level inputs though. Also, check to see the subs actually fit the stock enclosure... it might not be deep enough. As for building a full sub box in the trunk, you won't have enough room to make a good sounding box, unless you never plan on driving top down again. And if you're able to get the subs installed, prepare to replace the factory front speakers, they'll get overpowered by bass (unless you're just looking for thumping bass and not sound quality).

The factory Bose 6 speaker system is already quite good, that's why I haven't upgraded it and don't plan on doing so. Being able to hear the music clearly and feel the bass with the top down at 250km/h... more than enough for my tastes :D.

Ben
12-31-2002, 12:51 PM
jeese rage, can I borrow your pressure washer, you sure rubbed that in hard, hahaha

SilverRex
12-31-2002, 12:51 PM
haha at least now if I hear loud music coming from a topless yellow slk from a distance I'll know how it is.. o_O

rage2
12-31-2002, 12:54 PM
hehe the Stock SLK system is tough to work with in terms of speaker and amp upgrades. But hey, can't complain, at least it has a DIN sized opening for deck upgrades! Can't say the same for any other MB nowadays!

Ben
12-31-2002, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by rage2
hehe the Stock SLK system is tough to work with in terms of speaker and amp upgrades. But hey, can't complain, at least it has a DIN sized opening for deck upgrades! Can't say the same for any other MB nowadays!

Well I was quite impressed when We were listening to G&R on the way back from banff at the posted speed limit:confused: , sound was crisp and clear...not bad for factory...

Hakkola
12-31-2002, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

Get the monoblock if you can, or get the 2 channel if you can bridge them. Either the clarion or fusion will give you enough power, but i'd go with Clarion since they have such clear sounding components.

Dude, her car is tiny, that thing is gonna pound, she'll hear it good guaranteed. Nice buy!!!

girlRACER
12-31-2002, 02:15 PM
I guess I know now where all my money is going :( ...to the INSTALL!! It looks like it's gonna be a challenge but I already bought the sub and I can't return it now since I bought it in Vancouver so I will just have to try to make it work.

LUDELVR
12-31-2002, 02:52 PM
I had the 12" version. Nice sub! Just gotta make sure that you get the right enclosure. Power is pretty much arbitrary without the proper enclosure. I believe a sealed box for that sub works best. Anyway, for power I was using an mtx 1502 which seemed alright. It was bridged to provided about 250-300 watts rms.

That.Guy.S30
12-31-2002, 06:57 PM
that sub u have is awsome.. im gonan buy one too.. its more for sound quality than poundin but its soo smooth on the transitions.. get the fusion mono block amp.. so itll give ur subs enuff power to run perfectly.. or if u can.. find a jbl mono block amp.. since they are from the same company and match a bit better then those otehr amps

12V
01-03-2003, 12:51 PM
I would recomend removing the spare tire in the trunk and putting the sub there in a ported box, flush with the floor of the car, this will give you good sound with out compromising trunk space, I would put a grill over the sub just to protect it, I would use ported becease in a convetrable with the top down you'll hear it alot better as opposed to sealed.

2000impreza
01-04-2003, 08:16 PM
you will need:
-proper sized sub box whether its sealed or ported
-quality amp that puts out atleast 350w RMS . remember peak rating means shit. its all about the rms
-speaker to RCA line converter. for converting speaker output to RCA output since the slk deck doesn't have a preamp RCA output.
-sub/amp install wire kit

if you are going to pay someone to do this... be prepared to bend over. lol.

whatever you do.... do not hook the sub up to the stock speakers.... it will sound like ass and could screw up the voice coil.

girlRACER
01-05-2003, 06:27 PM
I just bought a V12 MRV-T320 2-channel Alpine Amp. I think the rms is at 250watts. I'm not sure if I will get a custom box or pre-made one though. This guy at Soundsaround on 32nd said he can do it for me for cheap.

I was looking around for some places for install and they all charge different prices. Futureshop charges $65 just for the install, Audio Concepts wants $125 (plus he said he might possibly charge me another $200 extra), and Soundsaround costs $75. Which place is the best?

I do want to get it done with Jason at Audio Concepts but I just don't like possibly being charged couple hundred dollars more for an install.

girlRACER
01-05-2003, 06:28 PM
As well, I checked to see if there was room in my trunk with a pre-made box and there is enough space so I don't think I need to take out the spare tire.

Ajay
01-05-2003, 08:50 PM
I bought that exact same sub a couple weeks ago. I'm getting the MTX Thunder 8302 amp for my bad boy. In my opinion MTX amps are definetly one of the best out there for clear crisp power.

I too have a small car (98 Civic DX HB) and my setup is going to be a false floor above my spare tire well. The well will be all fiberglassed...can't wait to get that in there! That sub though is awesome for SQ but if you're looking for a hard low hitting sub that's not it!!

Nice sub though!!!!!

mwmhong
01-06-2003, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by girlRACER
As well, I checked to see if there was room in my trunk with a pre-made box and there is enough space so I don't think I need to take out the spare tire.

Hey Jackie, I got a 10" pre-made sub box you can have/borrow/try out for free.
It's PORTED, dark carbon carpeted, very good condition.
Measures 32 cm front-to-back base X 53 cm width X 39cm height.
Originally had a RF sub in it and it died on me. It was purchased from Soundsaround 32nd Ave. :)

2000impreza
01-06-2003, 06:18 PM
i know 2 cars thats had stereo installs at soundsaround. i was not impressed by the install at all.

jdmakkord
01-06-2003, 06:22 PM
Audio concepts.

HACHIROKU_4AG
01-07-2003, 11:14 PM
cant believe it. i still cant sell my 12.1

anyways, the perfect kappa series must be installed in a sealed box. 10" requires 0.65cu ft 12" = 1.00cu ft

if interested in my sub for sale, pm me with an offer.