PDA

View Full Version : Rusted Brakes, clean up and Zinc Wash?

eblend
03-20-2005, 08:13 PM
Hello
I got a set of cross drilled rotors back in the day, i am gonna get a Baer front brake kit in a little bit and those brakes come zinc washed so they won't rust (how long will they not rust for?)

Anyways, the baer kit i am getting is only for the front and I want to use my good set of rear crossdrilled rotors i have now, problem is, they are kinda rusted. Anyone knows how I can clean up the rust good and restore it to original metal.

and more importantly, where in calgary can i then take these cleaned up rotors and have them zinc plated?

Thanks

Buldog
03-22-2005, 06:31 PM
Baer's an awesome brand, hard braking should'nt warp the rotors.

Zinc like any other protective coating should last as long as its not damaged. The surface area of the rotors where it comes in contact with the pad, is not coated or if it is will wear off quicker.

Cleaning your current rotors I've taken mine off and sandblasted them. Care in cleaning all the sand residue by blowing them out. A good wash in a cleaner is a good idea to.

Ever think about painting them?

ryder_23
03-22-2005, 06:38 PM
^
painting...rotors....are you serious..?

wheres that thread with the guy with the blue (jetta i think) with the painted rotors.

Buldog
03-22-2005, 07:26 PM
If your serious about keeping the rust off there are lots of high temp paints out there.

eblend
03-23-2005, 10:26 PM
i have thought about painting but I want my (soon to be) front BAER and my rear rotors to match, so to have that silvery look, i guess I could try silver paint, but thats my last resort

I will get my rotors sandblasted like you suggested, now i need to find someone who will zinc coat them, i tried google and didn't come up with much

and yes painting rotors is perfectly normal, just don't paint the actual pad surface like the blue jetta guy

joegrang
03-24-2005, 08:55 AM
Sorry got a noob question here... will painting and sand blasting really keep rust off your brake pads? won't the paint get worn off really quick when u use the brakes, I have noticed rust on my discs too.. but I find that if I drive my car, it helps in keeping the rotors clean...

ZMan2k2
03-25-2005, 02:03 AM
He's not talking about the disc and pad area. He's referring to the "hat". The part of the disc that is in contact with the back of your rim. That part will rust, and it looks nasty, esp. if you have nice rims on the car and can see that area. I got a set of powerslot rotors, and the hat was powdercoated. If you wanted to do that, I think you can buy a powdercoat system for yourself at a hardware store, and bake the rotors in your oven.