PDA

View Full Version : Fish n' Chips

Ripper
03-21-2005, 10:11 AM
Anyone know of a good fish n' chips place. Something that has good ambience, and decor... something with a maritimes theme or something along these lines.

I'm getting sick of eating at Joey's Only lol.

boostless
03-21-2005, 10:20 AM
kilkennys isnt bad

/////AMG
03-21-2005, 10:27 AM
:rofl: but joeys only gives you free chips!! There was this one good one in Deerfoot Mall dunno if it's there, but it was greasy as hell, and the place didn't look so nice. But it tasted good lol :nut:

abyss
03-21-2005, 10:27 AM
The Cat and Fiddle on 16th has fish and chips, and a pretty nice atmosphere....I've actually never had the fish and chips though, we go there for wings! :thumbsup:

tulit
03-21-2005, 10:44 AM
Best in Calgary ive found ---- Hallibut House. On Edmonton Trail near 16th ave (not sure of exact address)

EK 2.0
03-21-2005, 10:57 AM
there is a little nook of a place right across the street from Fowler...

in the Stavros Pizza Plaza...IIRC is was called the Lord and Fin...great food and very "fishy"...haha ambiance...

I loved eating there...

Ripper
03-21-2005, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by EK 2.0
there is a little nook of a place right across the street from Fowler...

in the Stavros Pizza Plaza...IIRC is was called the Lord and Fin...great food and very "fishy"...haha ambiance...

I loved eating there...

Is it still open, I went there last month or so and it was closed, but maybe for renovations or something. It used to be in silver springs back in the day, where nottingham's pub now is. It was a good place.

chunger_11
03-21-2005, 11:27 AM
Molly Malones in Kensington has awesome beer batterred fish and chips, oh man im so hungry now!

lastprodigy
03-21-2005, 12:20 PM
joeys only;)

X_plorer
03-21-2005, 08:06 PM
Boyds Fish and Chips on McLeod, trying to think what street it is on, maybe around 45th? Right on the corner. Little more expensive then Joey's but a hell of a lot better quality and taste.

Benny
03-23-2005, 04:02 AM
You Canadians should do it the British way that I used to. Go into a little-ass shop with one person there. Pay him 5 quid or so. Watch as he dips 2 big pieces of fish into a paint bucket full of batter, frys it up, and deposits it in a mess of ketchup covered chips onto an old newspaper for you to walk home with.

You'd think food wrapped in newspaper would be gross but that stuff was the shit. I got some hella fish and chip cravings now.

doublepostwhore
03-23-2005, 08:37 AM
Red Lobster :P - Matches your description... even smells like a hoe's cunt.

toyboy88
03-23-2005, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by tulit
Best in Calgary ive found ---- Hallibut House. On Edmonton Trail near 16th ave (not sure of exact address)

hmm..myself i thought that was the worst place ever! :barf: :dunno: lol

anywayz the best place is the one in deerfoot mall..mmmm :hitit:

awd
03-23-2005, 03:35 PM
Fish n' Chips + Alberta is an oxymoron.

Weapon_R
03-23-2005, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by tulit

Are you talking abou that ghetto hole that looks about as clean as most Pho restaurants :eek:

Davetronz
03-23-2005, 07:15 PM
Mudders Fish and Chips, guaranteed BEST in Calgary.

ninspeed
03-23-2005, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by X_plorer
Boyds Fish and Chips on McLeod, trying to think what street it is on, maybe around 45th? Right on the corner. Little more expensive then Joey's but a hell of a lot better quality and taste.
50th ave and mac trail.... i love it there...

ronaldo
04-27-2005, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by /////AMG
:rofl: but joeys only gives you free chips!! There was this one good one in Deerfoot Mall dunno if it's there, but it was greasy as hell, and the place didn't look so nice. But it tasted good lol :nut:

awsome fish and chips!

Joonya
04-28-2005, 04:41 PM
I have to agree with the British Fish and Chips! I grew up there and when i go to visit that's all i eat. Eating canadian Fish n' Chips is like eating dirt compared to the real stuff..... WOW!

/////AMG
04-29-2005, 03:40 AM
Originally posted by Benny
I got some hella fish and chip cravings now.

You bastard lol, me too. But most place don't wrap them up in newspaper anymore. It's just th enormal cramish coloured paper.
I'm off to get some now!! I know a place that opens up at 11am :drool:

str8jkt
05-02-2005, 12:18 PM
Original Joes believe it or not has awesome Fish and Chips (only tried it at the 4th St. location). I would kill to get a hold of the recipe for their "homemade" tartar sauce. I always get an extra and dip my fries into the tartar sauce as well. Gotta ask next time I am in there if they will part with the recipe.

sputnik
05-02-2005, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by str8jkt
Original Joes believe it or not has awesome Fish and Chips (only tried it at the 4th St. location). I would kill to get a hold of the recipe for their "homemade" tartar sauce. I always get an extra and dip my fries into the tartar sauce as well. Gotta ask next time I am in there if they will part with the recipe.

I find this to be pretty close...

1 cup Hellmann's Mayonnaise
2-3 tablespoons relish
2 tablespoons finely chopped sweet onion (1 tablespoon of finely crushed onion flakes will also work)
5-10 drops Tabasco
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
dash of lemon juice

Mix it altogether, cover it and put in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours before serving.

Darkane
05-02-2005, 01:32 PM
hasent been mentioned yet but Cannery Row in Aveneda South.. Little pricey 13.95 for the fish and chips (cheapest dish on the menu LOL) but its fuckng worth it. The peices are big, and taste wicked. Funny thing is idont even like fish but liked thiers. :thumbsup: .. or you can order the 47$ fillet minion :eek:

Ajay
05-02-2005, 01:54 PM
Rose and Crown fish and chips aren't bad either. Last time I had them was in Banff and they were AMAZING.

str8jkt
05-02-2005, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

I find this to be pretty close...

1 cup Hellmann's Mayonnaise
2-3 tablespoons relish
2 tablespoons finely chopped sweet onion (1 tablespoon of finely crushed onion flakes will also work)
5-10 drops Tabasco
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
dash of lemon juice

Mix it altogether, cover it and put in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours before serving.

I'll give this a try but it seems like its missing something.. I was thinking maybe it was rosemary or dill flavouring or something with original joes. Will have to give this a try though. Thanks for posting. :thumbsup:

cman
05-02-2005, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Joonya
I have to agree with the British Fish and Chips! I grew up there and when i go to visit that's all i eat. Eating canadian Fish n' Chips is like eating dirt compared to the real stuff..... WOW!

haha:werd: :werd: , when i go there i feast on fish and chips. my mom can replicate it decently, but nothing compares to the tiny neighborhood shops.