PDA

View Full Version : t-top leak

fester
03-21-2005, 09:30 PM
does anyone else have this problem on their mr2 ?? if so, how did u go about to fixing it and how much? any input would be great. thx :thumbsup:

fester

jvillain
03-21-2005, 10:01 PM
There are atleast 3 things you can do. The first is realise that rubber and plastic both shink with time and heat and your car is both oldish and gets darn hot in the summer. Because of this your rubber seals have shrunk. Your first step would be to order new seals from Toyota. I seem to remember them being about $100 for the ones that go on the T-Tops. It took about 20mins a side to swap. I know Kbox sells seals for MKIs maybe MKIIs, so you may want to check them out.

The other is you can order ecentric guide rods from Toyota. These allow you to adjust you T-Tops in and out . Some people swear by them. I look at them like I do adjustable cam gears. They don't build any more seal they just allow you to move the leak around. Check out the faq over at mr2.com for more info.

The last is try to refurbish the rubber with some thing like armour all. Hey it's cheap maybe try it first.

bmeier
03-21-2005, 11:15 PM
get some engine restore, it is put in your oil and is designed to swell the old rubber seals in your car so that your oil leaks stop.

take a can of engine restore and a rag and just wipe the stuff on the ttop seals. dont use too much though let it sit for at least a couple of hours then wipe the seals with some sort of weather stripping conditioner.

you should be good as new. I have done this numerous times by the way and it has always worked for me.

91tomstwo
03-22-2005, 06:05 PM
What a fantastic idea. I am completely against engine oil additives but to use it on T-top rubber seals is smart thinking.

-kl

fester
03-24-2005, 09:05 PM
thx. for the advice...i'll give that try :thumbsup: