PDA

View Full Version : Lude vs Teg.. Suggestions and Opinions

DJ Lazy
03-22-2005, 03:39 PM
Alright,

I am having a hell of a time making a decision whether to keep my 92 Prelude SR, and start modding it, or to sell/trade for a 3rd gen Integra, and mod that instead.

Both cars have a wide range of tuning parts/accessories, so I don't have to worry so much about that.

One thing that has been brought to my attention is the weaker chassis on the Integra's.

On the other hand, I have heard that it is slightly harder to tune/work on the h series motors compared to the smaller b series. (other comments welcome).

What would you do?
Comments Questions and Suggestions.

thinmyster
03-22-2005, 03:53 PM
keep the lude you will ultimately take some sort of loss on it if you were to sell

civicrider
03-22-2005, 03:55 PM
yeah i say keep the prelude they look soo nice done up!

freakin
03-22-2005, 03:56 PM
^^^ I agree. If you already have the Prelude, there's no major problems and you're happy with it, you might as well keep it. There's far less modded Preludes out there than Integras. They're a heavier car, but an H22 will take care of that. :thumbsup:

thinmyster
03-22-2005, 04:13 PM
yah i see way less preludes (of your gen) than integras... I really like the black one thats for sale right now on beyond.. do it up like that! and make it clean

DJ Lazy
03-22-2005, 04:26 PM
I've had a done up G2 test in the past though, and I loved it.

-The prelude would need some bodywork (minor speckled rust spots)
-174K kms on the Lude.
-parts are more expensive from what I have seen.

just some other things than run through my head..

buh_buh
03-22-2005, 05:05 PM
keep the lude
selling a car is a PITA

Aleks
03-22-2005, 05:56 PM
Get a teg. ;)

It's a tough choice. I chose a teg and never looked back.

Weapon_R
03-22-2005, 05:58 PM
Integra is the obvious choice.

I think that the car is far superior to the prelude to mod. The aftermarket support is there and costs less than that for a lude. It is lighter and you can swap parts directly from the ITR for cheap and effective mods. The engine choices are numerous and the car is newer. Any G3 integra will be 94+ so you have the peace of mind of driving a newer car.

buh_buh
03-22-2005, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Aleks
It's a tough choice. I chose a teg and never looked back.
yes, and I chose a Prelude and never looked back.

Originally posted by Weapon_R
I think that the car is far superior to the prelude to mod. The aftermarket support is there and costs less than that for a lude. It is lighter and you can swap parts directly from the ITR for cheap and effective mods. The engine choices are numerous and the car is newer. Any G3 integra will be 94+ so you have the peace of mind of driving a newer car. I always hear people talk about aftermarket support... but what does that really even mean? You can choose between 500 different intakes instead of 10? Really... it doesn't make a difference IMO. Pretty much all Hondas have good aftermarket support. And unless your planning on going crazy, aftermarket support isn't really an issue. You can still swap in a H22 (which is even cheaper than a b18c or b18c5), so ability to swap in another motor isn't really an issue either. And piece of mind of driving a newer car? For me personally, doesn't really make a difference. I drive my 86 Audi all winter and I have even more confidence in it mechanically than I do my Prelude haha, but that's a whole new topic. As long as your taking good care of your car, you shouldn't run into any serious problems. And plus, ludes keep their value better. But this is a Prelude guy arguing against an Integra guy... so everyone's going to have their own opinions.

I say you go with whatever one you think looks best aesthetically since that is the deciding factor. You'll probably be happy with either decision you make. I still think you should stay with the Prelude though, just cuz you won't have to deal with selling it, finding another car within that price range, and all the reasons listed above.

Skyline_Addict
03-22-2005, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by buh_buh

yes, and I chose a Prelude and never looked back.

I always hear people talk about aftermarket support... but what does that really even mean? You can choose between 500 different intakes instead of 10? Really... it doesn't make a difference IMO. Pretty much all Hondas have good aftermarket support. And unless your planning on going crazy, aftermarket support isn't really an issue. You can still swap in a H22 (which is even cheaper than a b18c or b18c5), so ability to swap in another motor isn't really an issue either. And piece of mind of driving a newer car? For me personally, doesn't really make a difference. I drive my 86 Audi all winter and I have even more confidence in it mechanically than I do my Prelude haha, but that's a whole new topic. As long as your taking good care of your car, you shouldn't run into any serious problems. And plus, ludes keep their value better. But this is a Prelude guy arguing against an Integra guy... so everyone's going to have their own opinions.

I agree with buh_buh 100%. I mean, how much does it matter about "aftermarket choice"? 500 hundred different choices, or 50 - you're still going to have just one muffler!
For 5th gen prelude vs 4th gen integra ( same time frame ), that is an easier one to judge. ANY 5th gen prelude is better than any Integra that is NOT a Type-R.
but 4th gen prelude vs 3rd gen integra...hmmmm....that's a touger one, since each model has so many more trims than the newer ones. Unless you get a GS-R or a Type-R, stick with the prelude. It is much better than the GS and RS.

Weapon_R
03-22-2005, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by buh_buh

I always hear people talk about aftermarket support... but what does that really even mean? You can choose between 500 different intakes instead of 10? Really... it doesn't make a difference IMO.

I don't know about you, but it makes a HUGE difference IMO. Seeing 500 different intakes shows me that there are 500 different companies who have put some R&D into the product to appeal. Having 500 different intakes instead of 10 also gives the consumer the ability to buy whatever it is that fits his/her budget and setup best.

Ask anyone with a 300zx what they go through to find someone capable of doing work to their cars in a reasonable amount of time and you'll know what aftermarket support really means.

illeagle
03-22-2005, 06:32 PM
SELL THE LUDE....buy an integra.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:..change is good.

Mr.Buffy
03-22-2005, 06:39 PM
When is the last time you did something for the first time?

Integra! :)

buh_buh
03-22-2005, 06:42 PM

I don't know about you, but it makes a HUGE difference IMO. Seeing 500 different intakes shows me that there are 500 different companies who have put some R&D into the product to appeal. Having 500 different intakes instead of 10 also gives the consumer the ability to buy whatever it is that fits his/her budget and setup best.

Ask anyone with a 300zx what they go through to find someone capable of doing work to their cars in a reasonable amount of time and you'll know what aftermarket support really means. yeah, 500 different intake company may have put R&D (and I use that term loosely) into the product, but are you going to get 500 different prices?
I do understand the concept of aftermarket support, and hence my statement about all Hondas having good aftermarket support. Yeah, I'll admit aftermarket support for my 86 Audi does suck balls, but for the most part, I can get almost any part for my Prelude than you can for your (previous) Integra.

And I don't know if this matters to you DJ Lazy, but for me I would also rather drive something that isn't as common. But to come to a decision, you should probably drive both. The Prelude is a little more refined, a little cushier, more of a cruiser than the Integra which is a little lighter, a little more practical. But like I said, these are both coming from owners of both cars, so our views are probably a little biased.

Skyline_Addict
03-22-2005, 06:49 PM
i would not be worried about aftermarket support for either car. it will be there, in large forces.

it all depends what you want with each car. looks does play a big part here, since both cars are quite similar in performance (for equivalent trims). if i was deciding over a prelude and integra, the integra would have to atleast a GS-R or a Type-R to have the same consideration for the prelude.

in my case, i went with a prelude. it was much cheaper than type-Rs of the same year, has match worthy performance to a type-R, is better than any GS-Rs I could find in town. IMO, the Prelude looks incredible, performs well. I have no regrets buying it, as it was also for a really good deal.

in your specific case, if you can find a good GS-R, then i'd go for it for sure!

frostyda9
03-22-2005, 07:03 PM
Unless you REALLY want the teg, I'd stick with the Lude for these reasons....

-you already have it
-age isn't much of a worry if you care for and maintain it properly
-the Prelude has a nicer interior, IMO
-the 4G exterior is sexier than the G3, IMO...especially after mods
-as mentioned, everyone and their dog has an integra

DJ Lazy
03-22-2005, 07:04 PM
I love the lines/looks of the 4th gen ludes. have always wanted one ever since I saw them. they just look sexy... As for an integra, I think I would be more inclined to a TypeR or a convertion to a TypeR (which is probabyl more work than I wanna put in).

I love both cars. The fact that the prelude is less common than the Integra is a nice 'perk' :tongue:

I guess I was looking for the pro's and con's of each car to help weigh the scales in a specific direction as I have kinda fallen out of the car world in the past few years. And have forgotten most of what I had learned.

This will be a daily driver, year round. until I can afford a winter beater.

boostless
03-22-2005, 07:11 PM
arent H series motors a lot harder to squeeze power out of than B series?
not sure, jus heard, not a honda person...

GTS Jeff
03-22-2005, 07:14 PM
Seeing 500 different intakes shows me that there are 500 different companies who have put some R&D into the product to appeal.

:rofl: it just means that there are more ricers driving tegs

you can swap parts directly from the ITR for cheap and effective mods. -B18C5 conversion is what...5 grand?
-upgrading suspension to ITR or better spec...at least another thousand?
-upgrading to ITR brakes? I dunno, at least $500 I'm guessing
-making teg chassis as strong as the ITR chassis? well unless you're into spot-welding everywhere, then a roll cage is the way to go, and we all know how much a good cage would cost...

I'd say that an ITR is the best choice if you can swing it, but if not, stick with the lude. Parts may be harder to find, but that doesn't mean it's worse. IMO, spending the money on a regular teg just to make it ITR-like just isn't worth the effort.

Aleks
03-22-2005, 07:28 PM
Also what would be your plans for it. To the people who say GS, RS sucks...I got a GS, fully loaded and I turbo'd it. To me that's just as fun to drive as my friends Type R is. From what i've heard for major work B series is easier to work on. I could be wrong. Someone who's done work on both should chime in.

Skyline_Addict
03-22-2005, 07:32 PM
Also what would be your plans for it. To the people who say GS, RS sucks...I got a GS, fully loaded and I turbo'd it. To me that's just as fun to drive as my friends Type R is. From what i've heard for major work B series is easier to work on. I could be wrong. Someone who's done work on both should chime in.

we're all talking about stock cars here. all of these cars have plenty of potential when it comes to turbos and what not, but that's whether he plans to turbo or not.

DJ Lazy
03-22-2005, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Skyline_Addict
but that's whether he plans to turbo or not.

A turbo or supercharger would be nice in the future. Initially would be looking to improve suspension/handling. Aswell as some body work as the 13 years are starting to come through.

Skyline_Addict
03-22-2005, 07:47 PM
yup, then obviously you have to factor in alot of things.

i'll assume that you have a budget to buy "car x" for "y" dollars.
if you plan to turbo immediately, naturally you will have to buy the cheaper trim than "car x". or else, you could buy "car x" and save up for a turbo in the future. it really all falls down to when and what you want to do.
if I were you, I would buy "car x" for "y" dollars and just be patient and save up money to buy mods or to fix up the car. in the end, "car x" will end up being much better than the car you had to "settle less" for. so basically, if i were you, i'd get the best car possible (with little or no money left for mods! - this is of course assuming that you don't find a car selling for a price that makes it seem stolen).

edt: may I ask what your budget is? that would simplify things alot.

A790
03-22-2005, 07:48 PM
Screw em both and import a Silvia.

Ok seriously, I'd stick with the prelude.

A 92 SR is a nice looking car. Throw on a clean kit, some nice rims and eventually a turbo and you've got an absolutely sexy car.

Not to mention that the prelude you have is already yours; you can start modding it right away, whereas if you were to get an Integra you amy have to wait depending on the purchase price.

Just my $.02

GTS Jeff
03-22-2005, 07:59 PM
Also what would be your plans for it. To the people who say GS, RS sucks...I got a GS, fully loaded and I turbo'd it. To me that's just as fun to drive as my friends Type R is. From what i've heard for major work B series is easier to work on. I could be wrong. Someone who's done work on both should chime in. Turbo doesn't help you stop quicker, it doesn't make you corner better, and it doesn't stiffen your chassis. If your idea of fun is restricted to acceleration, well then yea, your turbo GS is every bit as good as an ITR.

DJ Lazy
03-22-2005, 08:02 PM
yup, then obviously you have to factor in alot of things.

edt: may I ask what your budget is? that would simplify things alot.

Well I already own the Prelude. I am debating whether to get rid of it, in place of an Integra...

Rayme
03-22-2005, 08:47 PM
I can understand the concern that the car is aging, I own a 90 and behind it's shiny body the age still shows around a bit. If I were to spend serious money on a car I'd get somethime more recent instead of putting it in a car that will need as much replacement parts. But I wouldn't sell it though I'd own 2 cars...

Skyline_Addict
03-22-2005, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by DJ Lazy

Well I already own the Prelude. I am debating whether to get rid of it, in place of an Integra...

yep i know.
i was assuming that either way you might sell the prelude and get a new car - new lude or new integra.
so are you going to use all and only the money you get from selling the lude to buy a new car? or chip in some extra money on top of that? you should definetely start car shopping....for example, selling your car and anding another 3 bills could land you a very decent 1995 integra gs-r.

DJ Lazy
03-22-2005, 09:00 PM

yep i know.
i was assuming that either way you might sell the prelude and get a new car - new lude or new integra.
so are you going to use all and only the money you get from selling the lude to buy a new car? or chip in some extra money on top of that? you should definetely start car shopping....for example, selling your car and anding another 3 bills could land you a very decent 1995 integra gs-r.

If I had 3-4 extra bills, I would defineately stick with a 4th gen lude but upgrade to a newer year SRV.

I just really do NOT know which direction to go. Both have there ups and downs... :nut:

Aleks
03-22-2005, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
Turbo doesn't help you stop quicker, it doesn't make you corner better, and it doesn't stiffen your chassis. If your idea of fun is restricted to acceleration, well then yea, your turbo GS is every bit as good as an ITR.

I know. One of my best friends has a Type R. I've driven it and it's a different kind of fun when compared to mine. I couldn't afford to get the R and boost it. So I guess that's where a compromise was made.

lam-boy
03-22-2005, 09:24 PM
if you already have it, may as well keep it..too much work to sell the lude and find a good condition teg.
(that would be my choice, much more benifictial as you don't take a hit on selling the car too much..if you get what I mean)

sabad66
03-22-2005, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by DJ Lazy

If I had 3-4 extra bills, I would defineately stick with a 4th gen lude but upgrade to a newer year SRV.

I just really do NOT know which direction to go. Both have there ups and downs... :nut:
Just so you know, a bill is hundred, not thousand. But back on topic, I am a Civic driver so my opinion is not biased, and I would say stick with the Prelude. You already own it, so you don't have to go through the hassle of selling and possibly taking a loss on it and as mentioned before, tegs are just way too common. But if you do happen to get some extra cash, I'd say go for the 5th gen lude which imo is the best Honda made...

Skyline_Addict
03-23-2005, 01:13 AM
^^ i second getting a 5th gen if possible. at this stage in my life, it is everything i could possibly want in a car.

looks sexy.
performs pretty damn well (especially compared to driving an 2003 automatic civic). solid and tight steering with good power to utilize.
very affordable (both the car itself and insurance, good on gas too!).
reliable, naturally as a honda.
versatile - it can be used all year round!

DJ Lazy
03-23-2005, 10:24 AM
^^ i second getting a 5th gen if possible. at this stage in my life, it is everything i could possibly want in a car.

looks sexy.
performs pretty damn well (especially compared to driving an 2003 automatic civic). solid and tight steering with good power to utilize.
very affordable (both the car itself and insurance, good on gas too!).
reliable, naturally as a honda.
versatile - it can be used all year round!

I don't like the headlights:tongue: , and I will have a hell of a time getting one in my price range...

DJ Lazy
03-24-2005, 07:56 AM
Hmmm I think the prelude will be staying for awhile... just gotta get some minor things out of the way, and I think I will feel better about having it. :tongue:

Thanks for the input y0!:angel: