PDA

View Full Version : The "Calgary Bouncers" Appreciation Thread:

Komplekshun
03-22-2005, 04:55 PM
I'd like to respectfully thank all of you assholes for reminding me that i'll need, to be 'over 25', need '5 pieces of ID' or need to spend '20 bucks plus cover' to get into one your high-class night spots.

Everyone, please send your praises.

rmk
03-22-2005, 04:59 PM
i think it takes guts to be a bouncer now-a-days in our city, but yeah, some of them def. need to pull their fat heads out of their asses.

rmk

3g4me
03-22-2005, 05:04 PM
It's so funny hearing shit like, It takes balls nowadays to be a bouncer. LMAO ya it sure does. LMAO. THIS IS CALGARY not el salvador.:rolleyes:

Celica TVS3
03-22-2005, 05:05 PM
haha,

How old are you?

I can relate i remember being pissed off when i was 18 and they would give me a hard time because i wasn't 21. Now i'm 23 and i get a second look because i'm not 25.

rmk
03-22-2005, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by 3g4me
It's so funny hearing shit like, It takes balls nowadays to be a bouncer. LMAO ya it sure does. LMAO. THIS IS CALGARY not el salvador.:rolleyes:

flip on the news and see all the violence thats going on at these clubs. it sure doesn't look like its going to get better either.

sounds like you've been kicked out of a couple of clubs yourself. :cry:

BokCh0y
03-22-2005, 05:10 PM
when i was 18 they wanted me to be 21. when i was 21 they said 25 only. when i turned 25 they asked me for 3 pieces of id. when i pulled out my passport, drivers license and alberta id card they said i needed 5 pieces. when i pulled out my student id, my work id, they told me it had to be governement issued. can never win with those !@#$%^&

part that pisses me off the most is when they let all my white friends with jeans in and they look at me and my asian buddies and say dress code in effect...........

2.4l
03-22-2005, 05:12 PM
i think its degrading to be a bouncer imo LOL.. some beefcakes gota do it, leave it to the stupid ones ahaha.. i have had plenty of bad experiences with these juice heads .. fucking pussys.. although some could probly kick my ass
BUT it does take mad balls to be a bouncer.. to me a little needle neck with highlights and fucked up bangs CAN be intimidating becuse they think they are hardcore and hardcore guys stab around.. i think we should just snap the needle necks and hang them by thier highlighted bangs before anything gets too HARDCORE:guns: :rofl:

3g4me
03-22-2005, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by BokCh0y
when i was 18 they wanted me to be 21. when i was 21 they said 25 only. when i turned 25 they asked me for 3 pieces of id. when i pulled out my passport, drivers license and alberta id card they said i needed 5 pieces. when i pulled out my student id, my work id, they told me it had to be governement issued. can never win with those !@#$%^&

part that pisses me off the most is when they let all my white friends with jeans in and they look at me and my asian buddies and say dress code in effect...........

Stop cutting people up then yo. J/k.:D

BokCh0y
03-22-2005, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by 3g4me

Stop cutting people up then yo. J/k.:D

:angel: that might help lol

Wildcat
03-22-2005, 05:33 PM
god. not another one of these threads :rolleyes:

k_dawg
03-22-2005, 05:47 PM
Most of the bouncers are on power trips, and it looks like its not gonna change anytime soon. I guess the only thing you can do is don't give business to those that don't want you there.

2002civic
03-22-2005, 05:49 PM
:repost: xa million hasnt this been discussed enough?:drama: :whocares:

2002civic
03-22-2005, 05:49 PM
and its not the bouncers who choose whos let in, its the owners who give them their guidelines for the most part

BumpinTalon
03-22-2005, 11:12 PM
I've never had much trouble with bouncers, but I've had friends that have. blame the azn gangsters.

idriveabox
03-22-2005, 11:18 PM
I agree with this tread

esp when the fucks ask you for 20 bucks plus your ID to get in, like paying for a shit hole like coyotes is worth it,

give me a break its not NYC :drama:

88CRX
03-22-2005, 11:44 PM
Never really had a good experience with any bouncers at any of the so called "clubs" here in Calgary.

Fuck em :thumbsdow

hexified
03-23-2005, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by 2002civic
and its not the bouncers who choose whos let in, its the owners who give them their guidelines for the most part

:werd: bouncers just do what they are told and hired to do. If it wasnt them kicking the drunk guy hitting on your gf out of the bar. Then what? Youd beat the shit out of him and be in jail. (using that as an example)

They do what they have to do to keep order in the bar, and make sure they dont let in scum people if they think they will start shit.

If you look like youre in some kind of gang or mafia, expect to get hassled. If you look respectable then you probably wont. Its like all people in life, some people are dicks and are on a power trip. Some people arent. Youve just had the luck of running into the cunts.

Dave P
03-23-2005, 12:14 AM
Ive never had a problem with bouncers. Im glad there there stopping all you thugz from getting in the bars (yes i know your not all thugz). I know a few, and a lot of them take your saftey in the bar very seriously.

And stop pulling the race card everytime your asked for multiple id. Ever heard of the boy who cries wolf?

'93 SR-V
03-23-2005, 01:30 AM
Ahh, yes, the old shit on a bouncer thread….

It’s a well known fact that to some extent discrimination IS present in the Calgary nightlife. It’s unfair to judge everybody based on the actions of others of the same age, race, etc, but lets face it, to some extent, it happens.

I know I’m going to piss some people off here, but before I do, I’d like to start off by saying that I don’t consider myself to be racist. I have a diverse range of friends, of varying ages and backgrounds, and when I meet someone on the street, I don’t judge them by their age or skin color…

That being said, profiling often comes as a result of past experiences (not always, but often). People complain about getting hassled by the bouncers, because of there age, or race, etc, and it’s aggravating, because the majority of people (no matter what age, race, etc), are just out to have fun. This means lots of people who really would cause no problems in an establishment end up getting turned away. They then come on here and complain (and I know it’s frustrating). But, few people have had to see if from the other side. I mean, if the trend in an establishment is that people of such a background or such an age tend to be the ones causing problems, then the EASIEST (not fairest) solution is to limit their being there right? The bottom line is that these places are trying to make a buck, and keep their establishments safe.

Now I’m not trying to portray all bouncers as saints, I know that some of them can be power hungry, etc, but for the most part they are just doing their jobs. Let’s say you’re a doorman at a club, and you’re told who to let in, and who not to, or who to be more judgmental about… like it or not, it’s your job, and if you don’t do it, you too will be out on your ass. Further more, it can be a testing job. I mean the only time you have to “work” is when shit hits the fan. And bouncers are people too, if they’ve been dealing with a lot of drunk assholes, then they’re bound to be a little upset. It’s not easy dealing with people threatening you and calling you on, etc, and then having to go back and smile to the next person in line.

Everybody is entitled to his or her opinions, this is just something for thought.

thinmyster
03-23-2005, 09:36 AM
i was given a deal at tantra once for a girl who is a friends bithday and she knew someone who knew the bouncer.. anyways cause it was "busy" and some guys where wearing running shoes we had a bit of a time convincing them but we ended up recieving this deal Because of our group size (7 at the time) they had to split us in two (groups) so it was 70 dollars a group + tip at the door???COOL???? so we went to euphoria for free ?? where i felt extemely old (for a 20 year old)

3g4me
03-23-2005, 09:52 AM
http://www.wildyams.com/blog/archives/roadhouse.jpg
"Your my bouncers, and im the cooler." :D

Kirbs17
03-23-2005, 02:53 PM
I can honestly say Ive never had a problem getting into any bar in the city: 21 and over or 25 and over. Im 19. I dont do anything extraordinary, I dont pay anyone off. But someone has to do that job, and I commend them for it. Lately, they're putting their physical well-being on the line so that the patrons at their bar can enjoy a good night. Its like the rest of life. The good deads always go unnoticed, and its the bad behaviour that warrants media attention.

MerfBall
03-23-2005, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by 2002civic

Wrong. Although most clubs give the bouncers general guidelines, it's completely up to the bouncers who they let in. Hell they can not let you in just because they are in a bad mood. You think when you slip them $20 to let you in that the owner ever sees any of that?

And to the original poster, who really cares, go spend your money somewhere else, it's their loss. I only wish that they would go through the line and say "you might as well leave, since we're not letting you in" rather than waiting in line for 1/2 hour - an hour just to get turned away.

HuMz
03-23-2005, 04:23 PM
yeah its all up the bouncers, i myself have never had a problem even if im wearing shoes, although if you are asian you know your gonna run into problems trying too get into the main clubs, couple weeks ago at cayotes bouncers told my friends straight up they couldn't come in because they were asian, he's like hey i could sit here and lie and give every excuse in the book but at least im honest......still not right though

Weapon_R
03-23-2005, 04:39 PM
How much do bouncers get paid?

2002civic
03-23-2005, 04:44 PM
^^not much , its a part time thing, tequila had a calgary cop that was a bouncer on weekends

xDiMSuMx
03-23-2005, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
How much do bouncers get paid?

I used to make around 100 a night at Heaven's
4 hr shifts usually

xDiMSuMx
03-23-2005, 06:35 PM
bouncers at bigger bars make way more though
especially door men

Weapon_R
03-23-2005, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by xDiMSuMx

4 hr shifts usually

$25/hr? What did the bar actually pay you?

xDiMSuMx
03-23-2005, 06:59 PM
thats what the bar paid
i didn't get any tips or anything
i guess it was calculated into there?
i only worked the dance floor though

colinderksen
03-24-2005, 12:10 AM
I get $7/hr and $5 tip per hour that im there. So 10-3 = $12/hr*5= $60 a night.
That is just working inside.

FlySi
03-24-2005, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by colinderksen
I get $7/hr and $5 tip per hour that im there. So 10-3 = $12/hr*5= $60 a night.
That is just working inside.

Which bar do you work at and what is your job description? I was having a conversation with a guy who felt that bouncers were paid a lot of money while I argued that they didn't make more than $10/hr.

Wildcat
03-24-2005, 01:50 AM
i get a flat $8 an hour, no house tips, so i make like only $40 a night before tax. if you think im going to risk my hide for that you got another thing coming. the day someone pulls a knife or a gun is the day i bounce myself the fuck outta there.

32V-V8
03-24-2005, 02:47 PM
Yeah, this thread is gay. Stop bitching and quit acting like some poser tough guy and you will probably get in no problem. Ive been a doorman before... I had a keen sense of who is coming in to cause shit and we usually didnt let them in.

xDiMSuMx
03-24-2005, 03:15 PM
holy crap
some of u guys are getting paid really shitty
just got offered by a friend (manager of club) for 8 an hour plus tips which is 40-50 usually and over 70 on a good night

LUDELVR
03-24-2005, 08:46 PM

4 hr shifts usually

One of the coolest bouncers I've met in a while worked at Heaven's. His name was Lance...I think, if my drunken memory serves me properly. :rofl: He was one of the more laid back guys who looked intimidating but didn't have a shitty, stuck up attitude. Very calm and cool. :thumbsup: to him.

asp integra
03-24-2005, 08:54 PM
ya i never have problems getting into clubs, i am 19 but look younger than that, but still have no problems

xDiMSuMx
03-24-2005, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by LUDELVR

One of the coolest bouncers I've met in a while worked at Heaven's. His name was Lance...I think, if my drunken memory serves me properly. :rofl: He was one of the more laid back guys who looked intimidating but didn't have a shitty, stuck up attitude. Very calm and cool. :thumbsup: to him.

yea lance was a cool guy!
don't know what he's doing now, didn't keep in touch with many ppl from there

thinmyster
03-24-2005, 11:43 PM
hey any free line no cover to beyond members?? to all the bouncers out there on the boards??

cycosis
03-25-2005, 11:01 AM
dont have problems getting into clubs

otto
03-25-2005, 11:43 AM
it helps if ur white

otto
03-25-2005, 12:44 PM
racist dicks

mdeleon
03-25-2005, 10:54 PM
just to set things straight, it's not racism, it's strereotyping. and basically it's the way you look/dress, not just cuz our asian. if your asian but you dress like a skater, cowboy, or anything besides like someone who'd star shit your more likley to get in. even if an asian even dresses pretty casual he still might not get in, just as long as your stuff is from underground...you aint gettin in...hehe. i've been there, im 19, my 18th yar i could get into any bar no problem, a year later, same friends, nope. but whatever, the bar's cool and everything, but it ain't my life. i've gotten used to it.

colinderksen
03-26-2005, 04:43 PM
I made $75 in 5 hours on Thursday night. I guess the way they tip us has changed.

gatorade
03-26-2005, 06:44 PM
whats wrong with underground clothing its nice :(

HuMz
03-26-2005, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by mdeleon
just to set things straight, it's not racism, it's strereotyping. and basically it's the way you look/dress, not just cuz our asian. if your asian but you dress like a skater, cowboy, or anything besides like someone who'd star shit your more likley to get in. even if an asian even dresses pretty casual he still might not get in, just as long as your stuff is from underground...you aint gettin in...hehe. i've been there, im 19, my 18th yar i could get into any bar no problem, a year later, same friends, nope. but whatever, the bar's cool and everything, but it ain't my life. i've gotten used to it.

when a bouncer tells you straight up you can't come n because your asian and he doesn't wanna get stabbed...id say thats pretty rasist, although it was the night after the stabbing at tequilla so that's probably why he was so harsh about it

mdeleon
03-27-2005, 04:16 AM
Originally posted by HuMz

when a bouncer tells you straight up you can't come n because your asian and he doesn't wanna get stabbed...id say thats pretty rasist, although it was the night after the stabbing at tequilla so that's probably why he was so harsh about it

im asian so im not defending them but people just mistake racism and stereotype. now if you weren't let in just cuz your asian, that's racism. but since you weren't let in cuz your asian and he didn't wanna get stabbed (yes it's kind of racist) but it's also stereotyping that just cuz your asian, you're gonan start shit and carry arounda knife and/or gun and use it on someone. i guess i'll correct myself since this type of stereotype leads to racism.

oh and there's nothing wrong with underground, i shop there...but i guess so do a lot of other asians..haha. but what i meant is just that kind of style

Smokem
03-27-2005, 04:56 AM
Originally posted by mdeleon
if your asian but you dress like a skater, cowboy, or anything besides like someone who'd star shit your more likley to get in.

I'm an Asian Cowboy :thumbsup:

I appreciate the work they do, whenever there's an incident, they are usually really good to clean things up. I go out for fun, I don't start shit at all, and I really keep myself away from it all.

What's funny is that one time, some caucasian cowboy started something with me and he got his ass thrown out.

Regardless of race, some things to remember when going clubbing:

for guys:
1. You do not need to have your kitchen tools on you.
2. You do not need to dress like you're going to a funeral.
3. You do not need to look like everyone else in your group.
4. You do not need to look unapproachable, gzus if you smile at the doorman they usually get the idea that you're out to have fun. Furthermore, if you be friendly and smile to the guy who wants to start shit, 99% of the time, things can be resolved.
5. You do not need to be alpha male there either. So don't start shit. You don't become "special" by thinking you're Hulk.

for girls:
1. You are not the hottest girl that ever stepped into the club.
2. You are not entitled to have your night paid for by strangers; it is a privilege for your being friendly
3. You do not need to look unapproachable either, you're out to have fun
4. The less you wear, the more you'll be hit on. Plain and Simple. (So don't be the girl in the halter top on the speaker being a bitch thinking men are pigs when they hit on you.)
5. Have fun and don't be afraid to say hi when you see an attractive fella.

403Gemini
03-27-2005, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Smokem

I appreciate the work they do, whenever there's an incident, they are usually really good to clean things up. I go out for fun, I don't start shit at all, and I really keep myself away from it all.

What's funny is that one time, some caucasian cowboy started something with me and he got his ass thrown out.

for guys:
4. You do not need to look unapproachable, gzus if you smile at the doorman they usually get the idea that you're out to have fun. Furthermore, if you be friendly and smile to the guy who wants to start shit, 99% of the time, things can be resolved.
5. You do not need to be alpha male there either. So don't start shit. You don't become "special" by thinking you're Hulk.

for girls:
2. You are not entitled to have your night paid for by strangers; it is a privilege for your being friendly
4. The less you wear, the more you'll be hit on. Plain and Simple. (So don't be the girl in the halter top on the speaker being a bitch thinking men are pigs when they hit on you.)

AMEN! Somebody should make this post its own thread and sticky it!

:thumbsup: :clap: :clap: :clap:

PGTze
03-27-2005, 12:45 PM

for guys:

:rofl:

good post man :thumbsup:

LUDELVR
03-27-2005, 06:25 PM

yea lance was a cool guy!
don't know what he's doing now, didn't keep in touch with many ppl from there

Hey man, do you remember a girl named vanessa that used to work there...well, she wasn't really hired officially but she was paid to dance on the speaker? She only worked there for a while with her friend.

finboy
03-27-2005, 10:20 PM

for guys:

for girls:

:werd: :werd: :werd: :werd:

xDiMSuMx
03-28-2005, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by LUDELVR

Hey man, do you remember a girl named vanessa that used to work there...well, she wasn't really hired officially but she was paid to dance on the speaker? She only worked there for a while with her friend.

nope, no idea who she is