PDA

View Full Version : Who Should Decide Your Right to Die?

soupey
03-22-2005, 07:38 PM
im sure many of you have heard of the court trial going on in florida about a woman whos being kept alive on a food tube, her spouse wants her be put to rest while her family would like her to stay alive, what is your opinion on who should make the choice?

32V-V8
03-22-2005, 07:40 PM
Wow, nice one.

kevie88
03-22-2005, 07:42 PM
Me or a loved/trusted one close to me. I've already told my family and friends that if I'm ever a vegtable they should pull the plug. You're not honoring me or my memory by keeping me 'alive' at that point.

soupey
03-22-2005, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by 32V-V8
Wow, nice one.

sorry didnt kno there was something already started on this

well i guess this is still a poll so vote away!

mods if this is judged to be a repost then feel free to remove

lol i just looked, we created threads within 15 mins, i was sittn thinkn of what options to put into the poll for that long haha....o well, maybe they can be combined?...meh, mods do your thing:thumbsup:

32V-V8
03-22-2005, 07:53 PM
yeah thatd be cool... its been on my mind most of the day to tell the truth.. wouldnt mind some other opinions

iceburns288
03-22-2005, 11:33 PM
I still cannot believe they want that poor woman to sit there... all day... not even existing. For 15 years.

I'd want to die in that situation.

Weapon_R
03-22-2005, 11:37 PM
No one should decide your right to die. Sometimes, you just have to let things be.

Carfanman
03-22-2005, 11:55 PM
I donts see how its anyones business but the family's. Why are they having court trials and polls. Her husband doesnt even care about her, he is living with someone else, and I've heard that part of the reason he wants them to pull the tube is because there is a chance of her being able to talk and he's afraid she'll testify aganst him saying he abused her.

scooby_dooby
03-23-2005, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Carfanman
I donts see how its anyones business but the family's. Why are they having court trials and polls. Her husband doesnt even care about her, he is living with someone else, and I've heard that part of the reason he wants them to pull the tube is because there is a chance of her being able to talk and he's afraid she'll testify aganst him saying he abused her.

what the fuck???

Ok, how the hell will she be able to talk when she has no brain? It doesn't grow back, it's just gone, everything that control concious though is gone, all that's left is the brainstem, which controls your involuntary movements like breathing, blinking, smiling, frowning, etc

You won't find a doctor on this planet who will tell you she'll ever be able to talk again. Unless he's lying to get famous.

2nd, how come after 19trials, and multiple court appointed investigators there has never been a single charge against her husband? Maybe all 19 courts were wrong? Or maybe what you "heard" was a complete pile of bull-shit.

Her husband doesn't care about her? That's why for 15 years they've tried every single treatment that was out there, that's why he flew her ALONE to california for 3 years of experimental brain stimulation. That's why for 15 years he has been the only one taking care of her? Her parents don't do anything, they aren't the ones that take car of her, he does, by himself, like always.

So he has a girlfriend, after 15years of caring for your shell of a wife taht used to be a such a bright beautiful person, maybe you would need a little support and companionship as well.

JAYMEZ
03-23-2005, 01:39 PM
^^^ I 100% agree with you man , thats exactly how I feel about it.. It really sad to see this shit happen though.

sputnik
03-23-2005, 01:43 PM
Kind of a dumb poll. Obviously a written living will is the ultimate authority.

However without a will it should be your spouse.

Melinda
03-23-2005, 01:49 PM
If I haven't specified in a will what I want my unltimate outcome to be in a situation like that, I would hope that my husband, parents and children (if I have them at that point in time) would be able to sit down and decide together. I'm extremely close to my parents and of course I would also be very close to my spouse, so I would want all of them to decide so there would be no hard feelings or regrets afterwards.

toyboy88
03-23-2005, 02:44 PM
at the age of 18 along with the rest of the gouvernment info you should just pick yourself to die or not if u got a super bad medical decision :dunno: :)

Ed the SOHC
03-23-2005, 02:47 PM
I think a BLOOD relative should decide; not a husband that's about to re-marry.

scooby_dooby
03-23-2005, 03:59 PM
Traditionally and in the courts, it has always been the spouse that decides, the spouse lives with them and shares their life, they are the closest, if anyone would know what she wanted it would be the spouse, not the parents. Therefore, the wishes of the spouse usually outweigh the wishes of the parents.

32V-V8
03-23-2005, 05:08 PM
Yeah, the estranged spouse who is planning to re-marry as soon as she dies. Good thinking Mutt. :thumbsup:

scooby_dooby
03-23-2005, 05:15 PM
Mutt? Fuck you asshole.

32V-V8
03-23-2005, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by scooby_dooby
Mutt? Fuck you asshole. OWN3D, by your own beyond.ca username :rolleyes: Mutt. :rofl:

LittleAngel
03-23-2005, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Ed the SOHC
I think a BLOOD relative should decide; not a husband that's about to re-marry.

Totally agree, about to get remarried, and also has 2 kids with this new woman (correct me if im wrong) I think it should be up to the parents in that specific situation...

finboy
03-23-2005, 06:50 PM
personally, so long as my head gets cryogenically frozen, i could care less who chooses to pull the plug, so long as they clone my body and put the brain back in it :thumbsup:

Z_Fan
03-23-2005, 06:57 PM
Her husband has fought diligently since the incident to carry out her wishes. Her pursued virtually every avenue possible in an attempt to seek rehabiliation. It is well documented. Once the realization of no hope set in, only then did he decide the next logical step - her natural death.

Her husband realized long ago that though her life has stopped, his hasn't and you can't blame the guy for wanting to carry onwards and find closure to the incident and that relationship.

It's not like this happened yesterday and he abandoned her immediately. This guy is a real trooper for having carried out his battle for YEARS!

I think the fact that he is attempting to have a normal life (ie, a new relationship, kids, etc) is perfectly acceptable. If he didn't do this, then the incident would have claimed two lives whereas only one has been truly been lost!

soupey
03-23-2005, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
Kind of a dumb poll. Obviously a written living will is the ultimate authority.

However without a will it should be your spouse.

sure if there was a written will it would technically have authority over everyone else, but not everyone wants to make this decision on their own, pretty srue some people would rather have their sig other or fam make the decision for them, so what your saying may be true for most people, there are always others that would want someone else to make the choice for them

clapbak
03-23-2005, 10:46 PM
thats something you would put on your will.. lol
:confused:

soupey
03-24-2005, 09:30 AM
^mmm k good point, mehh hahaa, damn maybe i shouldnt have put that as a choice....

pixil9
03-24-2005, 10:04 AM
uummm she's not alive.. she's a fucking veg.

SteveMo600
03-24-2005, 10:10 AM
Who really wants to be living for 15 years through a tube? Personally, I think that the parents of that lady should go to hell cause they're probably putting their daughter through hell as we speak. Ultimately it should be the spouses call IMO, but I think this case will really influence the public to include something of this nature in their wills.

scooby_dooby
03-24-2005, 10:12 AM
according to a CBS poll last night , 85% of people think the spouse should have final say,

32V-V8
03-24-2005, 03:02 PM
In an unrelated poll... 85% of americans are sick of the Shiavo news and want to hear more about how small George Bushs penis is.

Tyler883
03-26-2005, 01:18 AM
I agree that almost anyone living would not want live in a vegetable state and be a burden to their loved ones. So, I tend to agree with a loved one's decision to pull a plug.

But,I'm not so sure that starving someone to death can be compared to pulling the plug on something like a respirator machine.

Is there a more humane way to do this, that doesn't open a big debate on mercy killing?

hollywood_35
03-26-2005, 01:28 AM
I think they should let her parents decide. That one woman was in the same state, they removed her tube and after 7 days she snapped out of it and she now lives a normal life. She decribed it as being trapped physically, she was fully aware of her surroundings but she had no means of communication. This Shaivo woman does respond to things and people around her in small ways. All I have to say is if I was still alive in that state, and someone yanked my feeding tube and then I snapped out of it, I'd go find who did it and take my feeding tube and strangle them to death. :burnout:

WhiteNikes
03-30-2005, 02:51 AM
Strictly speakin' on the topic, not considerin' this particular issue I'mma run wit' the spouse. That's the cat you said you gon' love. That's the cat you said you gon' share your life wit. Sho' you love to parents 'n' stuff, but cats talkin' 'bout how they gon live with they parent for 40 years ain't seem right, but bein married for 40 years be some pretty decent joint. I'm thinkin' if this the cat you said you gon' join' yo live wit. That same cat could make the decision.