PDA

View Full Version : Do You need Pure Math 30?

RPM
03-22-2005, 08:16 PM
I was just wondering this since i failed pure 20 and don't want to take it again...so instead i will just take 30 applied, I was just wondering if this is a bad idea and if anyone has gotten anywhere in university or somewhere else by not having this class and only taking appllied? some people say applied is really all you need i dunno?

Chester
03-22-2005, 08:20 PM
can you even get into university with applied math?

Lo)2enz0
03-22-2005, 08:26 PM
not taking pure math is the dumbest thing you can do. I was told my my teachers to take english 30-2, and math 24 and it has just screwed me over. I have another 2 years of upgrading after this one if I want to go to a university. thats why I gave up and now I am just going to sait which I still have to get my math but at least they accept english 30-2. But with out math 30 pure, options get ALOT smaller

A_3
03-22-2005, 08:27 PM
Yes, but I wouldn't suggest it, it limits you severly. You will have to get pure at some point.

Toms-SC
03-22-2005, 08:27 PM
yes

t-im
03-22-2005, 08:33 PM
You can get into UC with applied, but only one faculty...and by then it's pretty limited.

Weapon_R
03-22-2005, 08:36 PM
Take the highest level you are able to do.

You don't NEED math 30 pure, but then again that depends on what you want to do.

For university, you MUST have math 30 pure, and preferably math 31 too. Otherwise, you'll probably be okay without it.

kaput
03-22-2005, 08:37 PM

eblend
03-22-2005, 08:47 PM
seriously, if you can't pass 20 then u have prolly no chance in 30 applied

20 was the easiest math i ever took, nothing to it, 30 is a lil harder, 31 is harder still, but highly recommended if u are going to go into any faculty that requeres calculus at all, i took 31 and it is very helpful when u know what the hell ppl are talking about in class

Xtrema
03-22-2005, 08:48 PM
It's been more than a decade since I was in HS. Are they calling Math 30/33 now Pure/Applied 30?

So people who stuck with 33 won't feel inferior?

You should talk to the consuler about career/academic oppertunities where math isn't critical (may be business/management/Education?)

If you tried your best and did not fooled around but still failed Math 20, I think you should re-examine what you want to do. Let me tell you right now that there's a LARGE gap between university math and public HS math. If you don't finish Math 31, you may in for a rude awakening even if you get into university.

Chester
03-22-2005, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by eblend
seriously, if you can't pass 20 then u have prolly no chance in 30 applied

20 was the easiest math i ever took, nothing to it, 30 is a lil harder, 31 is harder still, but highly recommended if u are going to go into any faculty that requeres calculus at all, i took 31 and it is very helpful when u know what the hell ppl are talking about in class

I thought math 30 was the easiest out of the three levels:dunno:

EgyptLuv
03-22-2005, 08:53 PM
for uni you must have math 30 pure... and the first math course you'll take in uni will be almost identical to math 31 so its good to have an intro to.... i think math 31 is easier than math 30 derivatives is no problem

eblend
03-22-2005, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Chester

I thought math 30 was the easiest out of the three levels:dunno:
maybe it was haha, i don't remember, i know 20 was super easy, i didn't do anything at all, the prof would always make ppl do stuff in class and i would just sit there and he didn't care haha, cuz he knew it was a joke to me. I don't even remember what we learn in 30, everythign went by so fast for me, i took math 10 honrors during first semester of year one, and had math straight till end of year 2, so i finished my math 31 in grade 11, so i dont' even remember anythign all i know is 31 was calculus

Chester
03-22-2005, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by eblend

maybe it was haha, i don't remember, i know 20 was super easy, i didn't do anything at all, the prof would always make ppl do stuff in class and i would just sit there and he didn't care haha, cuz he knew it was a joke to me. I don't even remember what we learn in 30, everythign went by so fast for me, i took math 10 honrors during first semester of year one, and had math straight till end of year 2, so i finished my math 31 in grade 11, so i dont' even remember anythign all i know is 31 was calculus

now that i think about it, 20 was really easy too haha. You saying that you would just sit there reminded me of when I would goto class drop off my bag and leave and come back at the end. I remember going through the tests in like 20 minutes

RPM
03-22-2005, 09:31 PM
as if 20 pure was so hard...but besides that what about tech schools like nait or sait...same thing or a little easier to get into

I dunno mabye ill have to find something i dont need math for seeing as how im no good at it.

danno
03-22-2005, 09:35 PM
at sait you don't need pure for everything, but it all depends on what you wanna do. the trades you won't need pure but it's harder without it. it just makes you more advanced then the other people.

Xtrema
03-22-2005, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by RPM
as if 20 pure was so hard...but besides that what about tech schools like nait or sait...same thing or a little easier to get into

I dunno mabye ill have to find something i dont need math for seeing as how im no good at it.

Sait/Nait level of math isn't that hard but again, you won't be having a great time during the first year if you don't at least pass Math 20.

May be you should look into the construction field. Electrician apprenticeship program etc. Again, I think the person that's qualify to give you advice is your consuller. Since he/she may know more about you than what you have told us.

cycosis
03-22-2005, 09:38 PM
yes

JordanEG6
03-22-2005, 09:42 PM
pure math at any level is a must for any post secondary school. depending on the programs of coarse, most require pure math. some allow applied math, however, they may test you on the applied math that you did in highschool/upgrading school.

Neil4Speed
03-22-2005, 09:54 PM
You guys are semi-ragging on this dude, making him sound somewhat like an idiot for Failing Pure 20. You know its hard for some, easier for others.

I personally did alright in that class, but did do better in Pure 30, so I recommend you doing 30 applied in G12 (assuming your in g11) and then 30 pure second semester. 30 Pure should be a breeze if you've done the applied equivalant, as some of the content is simmilar.

A790
03-22-2005, 10:02 PM
I can't do math at all. I had a mid 80 average in every class BUT math, which I passed with a 51.

shakalaka
03-22-2005, 10:05 PM
I finally finished it. Took me two tries for 30, but finished it finally. My teacher said, you are better off with a 50 in Math 30Pure than a 99 in Applied.

shakalaka
03-22-2005, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed
You guys are semi-ragging on this dude, making him sound somewhat like an idiot for Failing Pure 20. You know its hard for some, easier for others.

I personally did alright in that class, but did do better in Pure 30, so I recommend you doing 30 applied in G12 (assuming your in g11) and then 30 pure second semester. 30 Pure should be a breeze if you've done the applied equivalant, as some of the content is simmilar.

I dont think he can do 30 Pure unless he finishes 20 Pure.

Team_Mclaren
03-22-2005, 10:15 PM
^^ yes, so repeat 20 pure, then go into pure 30. I would recommand taking 20pure in summer, then 30 pure in sept, that way if u fail 30 pure you'll have another crack at it.

To think you need this class or not, it's better off knowing what you want to take pass high school. It's easy to say you need pure 30 or not, but it's mainly the program you're going into in post secondary that decides what you have to take/finish in high school. If you dont know what you want to take pass high school yet, I HIGHLY recommand you to take 30 pure, without it, your options are VERY limited

Dont get discourage, i got a 70 in pure 20 and came out with a 94 in pure 30.:D

good luck

Chester
03-22-2005, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by shakalaka
I finally finished it. Took me two tries for 30, but finished it finally. My teacher said, you are better off with a 50 in Math 30Pure than a 99 in Applied.

not sure about that man. I don't think you can do anything with pure with a mark under 60

t-im
03-22-2005, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Chester

not sure about that man. I don't think you can do anything with pure with a mark under 60

you can get into better faculties at the UC..better as in not just communication and culture.

RPM
03-22-2005, 10:24 PM
thanks for the help, I got some thinking to do. I think ill just stick to the trades its what makes the most sense like an electrician or something...fucking decesions...decisions :banghead:

no_joke
03-22-2005, 10:54 PM
Do what you want to do and not because you should "stick to it." I mean, if you want to be an electrician and have an interest in that trade then go for it but not because you didn't think you could get through Pure Math 30. If your goal is to become an engineer or an architect or something like that, then just keep trying with the math. Anyways, it sounds like you're in Grade 11 so you've still got time to sort things out.

kaput
03-22-2005, 11:27 PM

Weapon_R
03-22-2005, 11:34 PM
hahah you guys are cold...he's got tons of time to figure things out! Besides, you all act like you got 99.999% in math 30, i'd love to see some of your high school grades :rofl:

Math 20 is usually considered the most difficult of the three. Most of the newer concepts are introduced here.

Math 30 is harder but you build on the new concepts that you learned in math 20, so it isn't going to be unbearable.

For the oldies, Math 30 pure is our old math 30, while Math 30 applied is math 33.

Most university programs (actually, I think ALL except for a couple of weiner programs) won't require math 30 pure. Many programs at Sait and MRC also require pure, and they will better your chances of getting into your desired program if you apply for a high demand diploma/degree.

Get a tutor if you think math is difficult. No shame in that and you will only benefit yourself - most people are too cool to get one because it makes them feel inferior, but its a great investment and one that will carry you for many years to come. The 15/hr you spend on a tutor will help you a lot, and to be honest with you, it only gets harder and harder from here. Besides, you can set up times that are convenient for you, and have the tutor teach you for 3 hrs a week, which isn't a huge expense.

Once you get to university calculus, you are going to dream of the "good ol' days" when math 20 was your biggest concern.

t-im
03-22-2005, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
hahah you guys are cold...he's got tons of time to figure things out! Besides, you all act like you got 99.999% in math 30, i'd love to see some of your high school grades :rofl:

I was HORRIBLE in HS math..i barely got by it...lets just say I didn't really apply myself to anything..and spent more time out of school then being in class..and looking back..if I actually studied a LITTLE I would have done muchhhh better..

but hey, i'm in U of C now..so don't loose hope yet!..it's not the end of the world if you suck at pure math 20...if you decide you want to goto university..and not anything too math-ish, then just try to do your best and get 60's and you should be ok!

nismodrifter
03-23-2005, 01:55 AM
you bitches will have fun with 251/253.....nikolev is your friend if you hate math :D :D

"I know eeez not fun but weee try finish early today after I cover question wheeeech beeee on quiz tomorrow so you don't have a hard time doing eeet"
greatest guy ever haha

GTS Jeff
03-23-2005, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

Math 20 is usually considered the most difficult of the three. Most of the newer concepts are introduced here.

Math 30 is harder but you build on the new concepts that you learned in math 20, so it isn't going to be unbearable.

For the oldies, Math 30 pure is our old math 30, while Math 30 applied is math 33.

Most university programs (actually, I think ALL except for a couple of weiner programs) won't require math 30 pure. Many programs at Sait and MRC also require pure, and they will better your chances of getting into your desired program if you apply for a high demand diploma/degree.

Get a tutor if you think math is difficult. No shame i n that and you will only benefit yourself - most people are too cool to get one because it makes them feel inferior, but its a great investment and one that will carry you for many years to come. The 15/hr you spend on a tutor will help you a lot, and to be honest with you, it only gets harder and harder from here. Besides, you can set up times that are convenient for you, and have the tutor teach you for 3 hrs a week, which isn't a huge expense.

Once you get to university calculus, you are going to dream of the "good ol' days" when math 20 was your biggest concern. Well said. Though I do think it'd be a mistake to not take Math30 Pure, and then 6 credits in University calculus. You would be surprised at how many courses list calculus as a prereq. I took all the math I could until Math 114 (that's the 1st University calculus class) then withdrew from Math 115 (that's the 2nd University calculus class) which was a pretty huge mistake because it prevented me from taking a lot of easy classes that I wanted to take. Now I'm stuck doing insane senior inorganic chem classes to graduate. :(

hockeybronx
03-23-2005, 02:45 AM
I took both Pure Math 30 and also Calculus (Math 31).

For the path I'm taking... The Calgary Fire Department, I didn't need either of them, Applied Math would have got me through.

However if you don't know what you want to be yet as I didn't when I was in high school, I would say definetely take both Pure Math 30 and Calculus. It just keeps all your doors open.

lastprodigy
03-23-2005, 02:50 AM
high school math is like grade 4 PE once you get to uni.....ahh the good ol days :(

abyss
03-23-2005, 10:50 AM
I was right on the year that they changed the math, I got 60 in old school math 20 then they made me take old school math 33 and got 94 (boo what a waste) so I had to go back to take math 30 which was the year they changed so I had to take Pure math 30 instead, luckily I passed, but it was way more than I would've had to take. I would suggest taking math 31 in high school too, I didn't and I found 249 to be REALLY hard, could've also been that it was at 8:00am every day though.

Singel
03-23-2005, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
It's been more than a decade since I was in HS. Are they calling Math 30/33 now Pure/Applied 30?

So people who stuck with 33 won't feel inferior?

You should talk to the consuler about career/academic oppertunities where math isn't critical (may be business/management/Education?)

Isn't there still a Math 33 after Pure and Applied?

Business/management definately needs pure math, you need to take a uni calculus course in business, and I'd be very surprised if you didn't need it for education

Originally posted by EgyptLuv
for uni you must have math 30 pure... and the first math course you'll take in uni will be almost identical to math 31 so its good to have an intro to.... i think math 31 is easier than math 30 derivatives is no problem

Math 31 all depends on the teacher you have has its curriculum is not clearly defined. There were 2 different teachers at my HS teaching it in my semester...I got the really hard one who covered everything and the kitchen sink, came out with a 51 because I gave it less effort than gym:D That actually cost me the grade 12 Rutherford scholarship because I didn't take any 30 level sciences, so all of my academic courses had to be used (Didn't know you couldn't use options for grade 12:rolleyes: ) I know I'd have gotten an 80 with even less work with the other teacher (I showed my friends in her class some of the shit we were doing and they couldn't even recognize it, they spent the entire semester doing what we did in the first month:rolleyes: ) Anyway I thought it would pay off in the long run cuz I'd do better in Math 251...but I've probly got a C or worse right now:confused:

Anyways, I also though Math 20 was the hardest, but thats probly because I did it online and really didn't do any of the lessons that I was supposed to or anything. Math 20 is a lot more like calculus than math 10 and 30, and it seems to me 20 doesn't carry through tooooo much into 30, so I'd say try 20 again, and then give 30 a shot. I know I had 90's 10 and 30 without any effort, and did a lot worse in the other two, so its just kind of a crapshoot, some people understand certain concepts better than others

Kirbs17
03-23-2005, 02:38 PM
Id say take Pure Math 30 no matter what. I needed it for poli sci at U of C, and i currently need it for Business here at rdc/uleth. As much as it says "60% required in Math 30 Applied or higher" TAKE IT. In my intro to accounting class, there were people who didnt know how to rearrange a basic everday formula ( i think it was 50=x-70) COME ON!!!

So yes take it

Ben
03-23-2005, 03:32 PM
I was the lucky class that pioneered through the new Math Pure / Applied program. New textbooks in grade 9, new in grade 10, 11 and 12. When I was in Jr High they did not put emphasis on the fact that Pure was vastly different than Applied and that you could get into univiersity with both. LUCKILY I took PURE, where as when my sister went through that, she just took applied (she's not as mathematily inclined as I was and figured she's take the more real life based math instead)

It wasn't till grade 12 when most of us found out that Applied was not going to be accepted at the Universities at the level Pure was, mostly becuase the Universities had not thought about it untill the year before instead of 3 or 4 when the first class going through it would be paving the way for the rest of the people thereafter.

There were so many pissed off students AND parents over that.

One thing I WILL however suggest is not getting caught up in the "AP, IB" Hype. I took AP through Highschool, and it's a waste. They mark you way harder and most schools honestly dont give a shit. Universities are gonna take someone with a 90% in Math 30 Pure over someone with an 80% in Math 30AP.

I made this mistake, and found that AP was ONLY beneficial in Science, where you get to do a lot more fun experiments (like making thermite and burning the engine blocks in the auto shop) and taking huge field trips out to the BC coast to do marine biology research. Science AP ruled (BioAP, ChemAP, PhysAP), all the others, what a joke.

GTS Jeff
03-23-2005, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Ben
One thing I WILL however suggest is not getting caught up in the "AP, IB" Hype. I took AP through Highschool, and it's a waste. They mark you way harder and most schools honestly dont give a shit. Universities are gonna take someone with a 90% in Math 30 Pure over someone with an 80% in Math 30AP.

I made this mistake, and found that AP was ONLY beneficial in Science, where you get to do a lot more fun experiments (like making thermite and burning the engine blocks in the auto shop) and taking huge field trips out to the BC coast to do marine biology research. Science AP ruled (BioAP, ChemAP, PhysAP), all the others, what a joke. I think the main benefit of AP isn't so much for getting into University, rather that it gives you a head start in 1st year courses. I putzed around a lot in 1st year but still managed to get on the Dean's list because I already did everything in AP. Got a good butt-raping in 2nd year though. :thumbsdow

hexified
03-23-2005, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
I think the main benefit of AP isn't so much for getting into University, rather that it gives you a head start in 1st year courses. I putzed around a lot in 1st year but still managed to get on the Dean's list because I already did everything in AP. Got a good butt-raping in 2nd year though. :thumbsdow

^^:werd:

I agree with jeff on that one. Basically its giving you a taste of what to expect when you get into University. University doesnt baby you like most high schools do when it comes to marking and other things. Basically once you hit university youre on your own and have to pick up your socks so to speak. All they are doing is trying to prepare you for whats to come...take advantage of it youll be thankful for it later.

AG_Styles
03-23-2005, 09:51 PM
lets just face it, math 30p is needed if ur gonna be taking math 249 or math 251 in ur first year of university.
easy easy easy, so just do it. i did really bad in math 10h and math 20p. but i turned everything around and damn near aced math 30 and math 31. and i didn't regret taking math 31 cuz math 251 is pretty much the same course.
so for all those planning to go to UofC, take ur math courses.

SteveMo600
03-24-2005, 10:47 AM
Take as many classes, Math or not, in high school and go as far as you can. Math Pure is very important if you want to go to University because you have to take calculus for just about every program. Upgrading can get pretty expensive so I would take advantage of the free education in high school.

HuMz
03-24-2005, 12:01 PM
math applied will still get you in most programs at MRC, Sait, and lethbridge as well....it's like everyone else said though it all depends what your gonna wanna go into after high school, if your thinking its just gonna be at trade then there's no need for you to take pure

pints
03-24-2005, 08:49 PM
Does your school do a 20Prep30 course? I didn't take it but a few people I knew did and it helped them out if they took it before going into pure math30, it might take longer but if you really want to do the Uni thing it might be worth your time.

otto
03-24-2005, 09:14 PM
i have half my grade 12 grade 6

Neil4Speed
03-25-2005, 12:28 PM
Hey man,

I just checked about that Applied Math 30 > PMath 30 thinger, and yes, you can do it, however, you have to do it, OUT of High School (online or something). Otherwise they will make you take PM20 then PM30.

Good luck man!

Best Regards,

Neil

H4LFY2nR
03-27-2005, 04:59 AM
You should definetely retake Math 20-P and take Math 30-P. If you plan on going to university you should also take Math 31. It's amazing how every single subject in university involves calculus, and taking Math 31 will make it sooo much easier because it exposes you to the concepts early. I didn't do as well in Math 20-P as I did in Math 30-P, and I wish I had done more practice problems in Math 31. University Math 251 has the same curiculum as Math 31 in HS, and AMAT 217 (Calculus for Scientists and Engineers) covers that stuff in a few weeks. Learning calculus in HS while there is less work and pressure is extremely beneficial if your going to uni.:thumbsup:

AsianCaucasian
03-29-2005, 11:46 AM
Math 31 is not really necessary unless you're going into Engineering... even then it's technically not required. I took Math 31 and dropped it (mostly cause i suck dick at calculus) and took Math 249, it wasn't that hard.

SteveMo600
03-29-2005, 11:55 AM
I would suggest that anybody in high school should take Math 31 because it's free education and it is basically the same class as Math 249 and 251. If you do well in Math 31 then your intro Calculus class in University or College should be a guaranteed 4.0

fordo_11
03-29-2005, 12:11 PM
Pure Math is needed to get into almost every program in University. Just take it and you maybe lucky and it will be the last real math course you ever have to take. :guns:

AsianCaucasian
03-29-2005, 03:08 PM
I just remembered what a few of my friends did... You can take Math31 in high school but if you complete it and your program requires a calculus course in your first year, you MUST take 251. What a few of my friends did was go through the entire Math31 course and then drop it at the end so the course would not show on the transcript and then go into Math249 which is slightly easier.

zerocalorie1
03-22-2006, 10:35 AM
If you're having trouble just go to www.puremath30.com

The stuff there really helps!

shakalaka
03-22-2006, 10:43 AM
Holy crap batman! Way to bring up an old thread. I bet he's done high school by now!! hahah