PDA

View Full Version : LHD Skyline .. WTF!!!!

Team_Mclaren
03-23-2005, 01:09 AM
someone explain this to me??? I thought they were all sold/produced in japan... and made only RHD

http://rbmotoring.com/albums/album38/aaa.jpg
http://rbmotoring.com/albums/album38/aab.jpg
http://rbmotoring.com/albums/album38/aae.jpg
http://rbmotoring.com/albums/album38/aar.jpg
http://rbmotoring.com/albums/album38/aaq.jpg

no its not a photoshop so dont even start.

DonJuan
03-23-2005, 01:11 AM
I remember hearing somwhere that you could get LHD Skylines from the middle east. They are apparently pretty rare though.

rage2
03-23-2005, 01:15 AM
They're custom done in the middle east. Oil money makes cool things.

Skyline_Addict
03-23-2005, 01:17 AM
there's a company in the states called MotoRex which does the conversion on these cars (amongst other things) to legalize it for use in the states. naturally, they end up costing you ALOT more.

benyl
03-23-2005, 01:19 AM
I am pretty sure that Motorex has gone out of business. But I could be wrong.

illeagle
03-23-2005, 01:20 AM
That's not JDM :thumbsdow :rofl:

gerrycurl21
03-23-2005, 01:47 AM
yah, didnt motorex have a monopoly on all the skylines in the states?

SilverBoost
03-23-2005, 01:53 AM
That's awesome. The RHD thing is cool to see over here, but I would think it would get annoying after a while to drive it everyday.... but I don't drive one so I really don't know, but baack to that LHD Skyline, that's great! Would be nice to be able to jump right into one withou having to relearn anything but how to handle it. :)

Skyline_Addict
03-23-2005, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by SilverBoost
That's awesome. The RHD thing is cool to see over here, but I would think it would get annoying after a while to drive it everyday.... but I don't drive one so I really don't know, but baack to that LHD Skyline, that's great! Would be nice to be able to jump right into one withou having to relearn anything but how to handle it. :)

there's nothing to "re-learn" other than the fact that your signal light and winshield washer switch switched sides, and you shift with ur left hand. everything else is identical......

i also think that having a LHD skyline takes away from the charm of the car, which is the epitome of japan's sports car heritage.

Team_Mclaren
03-23-2005, 02:00 AM
Montrex dont do RHD > LHD conversions....

anyway, ya this is nuts

GTS Jeff
03-23-2005, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by rage2
They're custom done in the middle east. Oil money makes cool things. Maybe that explains why the clutch pedal looks misplaced.

Kamen
03-23-2005, 03:07 AM
Flip the pics horizontally and you have RHD. :rofl: :rofl:

talonboi
03-23-2005, 08:58 AM
for thos who drive a RHD is it hard to turn left at the lights?? can u seem oncoming traffic??

sputnik
03-23-2005, 09:47 AM
this is a repost... but a good example of an arab LHD skyline

http://www.toprpm.com/videos/Skyline_vs_Hayabusa.wmv

A790
03-23-2005, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by talonboi
for thos who drive a RHD is it hard to turn left at the lights?? can u seem oncoming traffic??

I do one of two things:

1) Lean over :D
2) Give a bit more distance than normal so I can see around the car. This works the best when I'm on Glenmore leaving Calgary on the two lane... the car has got more than enough power to recoup the distance and pass.

rage2
03-23-2005, 09:55 AM
Motorex just imports and federalizes cars. They don't do LHD conversions.

integra_vate
03-23-2005, 09:56 AM
looks like a conversion since the climate control knob and the volume knob are on the right side

A790
03-23-2005, 09:57 AM
Part of the thrill of a Skyline is the RHD. I t's different, unique... I don't know about anyone else, but I'd rather my RHD Silvia over a LHD 240sx Coupe with the same engine.

sputnik
03-23-2005, 10:22 AM
That car is probably a conversion... here a good gallery of a converted car (might be the same one).

http://www.turboawd.com.ph/gtrgallery.html

Apparently it was done by Skyline Motors in Santa Ana CA.

http://www.turboawd.com.ph/diary.html

Finally, after two years of waiting, several delays and obstacles encountered along the way, the GTR is at last in my hands. My appreciation goes out to Tomo Q Corporation for the sourcing out of the vehicle, Skyline Motors for the incredible LHD conversion, Croydon Racing Developments for the outstanding engine work, and the countless number of people who have made this project possible.

EDIT: Even more pictures...

http://www.turboawd.com.ph/gtrgalleryarchive.html

SilverBoost
03-23-2005, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Skyline_Addict

there's nothing to "re-learn" other than the fact that your signal light and winshield washer switch switched sides, and you shift with ur left hand. everything else is identical......

i also think that having a LHD skyline takes away from the charm of the car, which is the epitome of japan's sports car heritage.

So what would you consider relearning then if you don't consider that relaerning? Putting the steering wheel in th etrunk/ ;) :)

Shifting is huge and where you sit in the car totally changes your perspective on the road... all I'm saying is that you'd want to take it easy for a while and get the feel back before drifting around any corners. :)

A790
03-23-2005, 03:25 PM

So what would you consider relearning then if you don't consider that relaerning? Putting the steering wheel in th etrunk/ ;) :)

Shifting is huge and where you sit in the car totally changes your perspective on the road... all I'm saying is that you'd want to take it easy for a while and get the feel back before drifting around any corners. :)

What you're saying makes sence, but it only took one or two test drives before I was pretty decent with it.

In a couple days it feels as natural as LHD. What mixes you up is going between LHD and RHD (it's weird... trust me).

heavyD
03-23-2005, 04:00 PM
I just want that car.:drool: I don't car what hand drive it is.

RickDaTuner
03-23-2005, 04:05 PM
moterex did do LHD conversion, the had an atricle back in Sport compact car, they were offering that option on the Skyline for about an extra 20g's that one that you see here in that pic, is the very first on they did!!

Skyline_Addict
03-23-2005, 04:08 PM

i don't see the point of relearning, something you already know. it takes some "getting used to", but in the end, driving a car is driving a car. pedals are in the exact same position, gear box works the exact same way, and the steering wheel and all that is still in front of you. it's probably about as hard as driving a manual (which you already know) after driving only an auto for a long time. i'm not saying one would just hop in and be off, of course it'd take some getting used to....but it's not like you're driving a rocket to space now...altthough you would get that feeling with a skyline ;)

streetarab
03-23-2005, 06:08 PM
They're custom done in the middle east. Oil money makes cool things.
:rofl: :rofl:

Originally posted by gerrycurl21
i belive they did,

I think the LHD would be easier to drive, i think i would always feel out of place in a RHD car, but RHD, thats just cool

d-UNiT
03-24-2005, 08:52 PM
dont they have these in europe?.. i saw a bunch of auction stock for LHD skylines on this european website ill try to find link

otto
03-24-2005, 09:13 PM
love it drive it crash it

Mad$ella
03-24-2005, 10:27 PM
If i had one, id sell it to someone on here, and buy another Mustang... sorry

TypeS
03-24-2005, 11:31 PM
is it that you dont like the skyline? or because you love mustangs?
theres nothing wrong with liking another car over a skyline....but you have to admit they are very attractive cars. Its the "i think they are ugly" response that scares me lol

JordanLotoski
03-24-2005, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by illeagle
That's not JDM :thumbsdow :rofl:

whos cares?

djayz
03-24-2005, 11:38 PM
dont people get conversion from left to right hand done?..well if thats so its always possible to do it the other way around

nice car none the less

chris
03-25-2005, 01:29 AM
i;d much prefer to have my car in lhd, but driving rhd is fine

TypeS
03-25-2005, 02:35 PM
well chris luckily for you there is such thing as a LHD S13 so the conversion would not be as costly as a skyline...which is almost ALL custom

Zephyr
03-25-2005, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by benyl
I am pretty sure that Motorex has gone out of business. But I could be wrong.

nope, Hiro is back! after a load of lawsuits, a lein on his house by C-West, motorex is back

Originally posted by gerrycurl21

nope we had other companies too motorex was just mainstream known

Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
Montrex dont do RHD > LHD conversions....

anyway, ya this is nuts

Motorex just imports and federalizes cars. They don't do LHD conversions.

correcto!

Originally posted by RickDaTuner
moterex did do LHD conversion, the had an atricle back in Sport compact car, they were offering that option on the Skyline for about an extra 20g's that one that you see here in that pic, is the very first on they did!!

nope they never did LHD conversion

there is a company in asia that builds LHD dashes for RHD cars i forgot which country but thats how some of the LHD conversion are done.

red2000
03-25-2005, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Zephyr

there is a company in asia that builds LHD dashes for RHD cars i forgot which country

Taiwan !
I have seen one LHD Skyline in there ! custom done nicely !

RickDaTuner
03-28-2005, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Zephyr

nope, Hiro is back! after a load of lawsuits, a lein on his house by C-West, motorex is back

nope we had other companies too motorex was just mainstream known

correcto!

nope they never did LHD conversion

there is a company in asia that builds LHD dashes for RHD cars i forgot which country but thats how some of the LHD conversion are done.

i guess i gots to diggin through my massive magazine stash to find the atricle

youngbex
03-28-2005, 11:21 AM
never thought i woukd see a LHD skyline

spanky99
06-10-2005, 04:14 PM
i am from the UAE, i have driven a LHD skyline R33 GT25 , the steering is a bit stiffer than normal , but everything else is okay .
in the UAE we got special workshops which specialize in converting any RHD car to LHD cars, its not very expensive thanks to slave labour almost , a conversion only costs about 2000 CAD for a r32 and about 6000CAD for GTR R34.

-KiTtY- boo
06-10-2005, 05:22 PM
R33 soo sexy:drool: :drool: :drool:
i think driving a LHD skyline would defeat the purpose:dunno:
IMO

spanky99
06-10-2005, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by -KiTtY- boo
R33 soo sexy:drool: :drool: :drool:
i think driving a LHD skyline would defeat the purpose:dunno:
IMO

im used to LHD , i dont mind driving RHD , but i prefer LHD .
the skyline i drove was suped up to 450 hp running at 2 bar of boost to a rb25det engine.
extremely quick and dangerous.

-KiTtY- boo
06-10-2005, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by spanky99

im used to LHD , i dont mind driving RHD , but i prefer LHD .
the skyline i drove was suped up to 450 hp running at 2 bar of boost to a rb25det engine.
extremely quick and dangerous.

so im assuming the skyline was RHD??:dunno:
it would make sence that u would prefer the LHD juss cause its wut ur used to.. juss like how some ppl prefer atuo vs manual.. juss cause they used to it
but some ppl like the chalenge and get used to it

spanky99
06-10-2005, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by -KiTtY- boo

so im assuming the skyline was RHD??:dunno:
it would make sence that u would prefer the LHD juss cause its wut ur used to.. juss like how some ppl prefer atuo vs manual.. juss cause they used to it
but some ppl like the chalenge and get used to it

no no , the skyline was left hand drive , it had been coverted for a bit more than 2000 CAD .
they have a few gts-t skylines that are automatic too , but i dont know if i ever seen an automatic GTR.

AllGoNoShow
06-10-2005, 06:58 PM
Actually if I recall right, after watching the Grip series of videos, Motorex USED to do the RHD to LHD swaps, even said so themselves, unless they contracted the work out and claimed they did it.

I wouldn't spend the money for a swap for an R32, but R33 or R34 yah.

-KiTtY- boo
06-10-2005, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by AllGoNoShow

I wouldn't spend the money for a swap for an R32, but R33 or R34 yah.

k y would u spend the money on the R33 and R34 but not the R22:dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

Seanith
06-10-2005, 07:37 PM
I wouldn't want to spend 1/3 of the cars price on a swap like that.. i think thats what he was saying.

Supa Dexta
06-11-2005, 04:13 PM
I'd think parking a rhd car would be on of the trickier things to get used to... and are the gears the same way? (I'd assume so) like 1st on the top left...etc...

:)

A790
06-11-2005, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
I'd think parking a rhd car would be on of the trickier things to get used to... and are the gears the same way? (I'd assume so) like 1st on the top left...etc...

:)

Yea, the pedals and gears are the same.

braden883314
06-12-2005, 09:34 PM
Search the web, i remember reading a site that had a RHD to LHD conversion on it, the guy did it himself and told you how to do it if i remember correctlly, i cant remember what car it was tho.

~Braden

Nissanaddict
06-12-2005, 09:36 PM
gas on the left, 1st on the top right, would be totally whacked out. Either way, I'd go LHD if I could...wonder why the steering was stiff though?

TaiChino
06-15-2005, 01:45 AM
If you look at the street in one of the pics, it clearly says SLOW, not backwards. But if you were joking, it's all good.