PDA

View Full Version : 19" BBS CH or 18" M3 CSL Replicas ?

Kaos
03-23-2005, 09:36 AM
I currently own a set of BBS CH's and I was thinking that its time to move onto a 18" wheel.
I wanna get a set of CSL replicas but Im thinking if the quality of the CSL is gonna be worth it. I'm hoping that they wont bend because they are replicas.
I love the style of the CSL wheel because the spokes are thinner and they look good on a E36.

I dont know wether to keep them or get the CSL's instead.

19" CSL Replica's (Remember I want these in 18's)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v241/cunnuk/DSC01975.jpg

19" BBS CH's

http://members.shaw.ca/Energie/bimmer1.jpg

euro tang
03-23-2005, 09:52 AM
Hmm, this is a tough one dude. I would probably stick with the CH’s though since those have always been one of my favorite wheels! But that’s just me. And I don’t know too much about the quality of CLS rep’s but I think for the most part you would only sacrifice weight.

Clem
03-23-2005, 10:26 AM
CHs are gorgeous wheels (I'd even consider buying them from you if you decided to go the CSL route ;) )

CSL wheels look good too but if you are concerned about quality why not go for forged BBS RCs (one of my all time fav BBS wheels). They're lighter than the CHs and look just like the CSLs.

bol
03-23-2005, 10:52 AM
If you really want the CSL wheels, get the wheels from the new M3 competition pack. They look identical, are OEM BBS quality but without the added CSL markup. They're 19" however.

Kaos
03-23-2005, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by euro tang
Hmm, this is a tough one dude. I would probably stick with the CH’s though since those have always been one of my favorite wheels! But that’s just me. And I don’t know too much about the quality of CLS rep’s but I think for the most part you would only sacrifice weight.
Well the weight of the CH's are around 24/lbs (not quite sure)
And the weight of the CSL reps are the same in 18's.
So basically the CSL's weigh alot more for any 18" that I know of.

Originally posted by Clem
CHs are gorgeous wheels (I'd even consider buying them from you if you decided to go the CSL route ;) )

CSL wheels look good too but if you are concerned about quality why not go for forged BBS RCs (one of my all time fav BBS wheels). They're lighter than the CHs and look just like the CSLs.
I considered getting these wheels or even the RGR's cause they look similar. The cost of them are pretty hefty though. :eek:
I'll keep in contact with you and let you know if I do happen to sell them.

Originally posted by bol
If you really want the CSL wheels, get the wheels from the new M3 competition pack. They look identical, are OEM BBS quality but without the added CSL markup. They're 19" however.

Would you like to donate to my wheel fund? :D
How much would these cost?
I know that they make a forged ones but the forged only come in 19's. Maybe I should wait a bit and see if another company will make forged 18's

interlude
03-23-2005, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by bol

bol.. can you hook me up with a link?

Still shopping for rims for my e46

Willis
03-23-2005, 04:18 PM
The CSL's look good but I would be worried about quality.

19" BBS CH, RC or RGR (in that order)

BokCh0y
03-23-2005, 04:22 PM
Don't buy replica rims. A friend of mine bought a set from the Phillipines, quality is definately the shits. He curbed it while PARKING and broke a chunk off. Luckily he wasn't driving normal and hit a bump hard or something.

Just my opinion.

Somethings it's alright to go aftermarket and save a few bucks, most of the time it's just better to cry once.

bol
03-23-2005, 04:25 PM
Turner carries the ZCP competition rims that I was talking about...

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=M3COMPWHEELS

Any shop should be able to get them. They're an OEM BMW part.

Willis
03-23-2005, 04:48 PM
^ Nice!

CSL Replicas (http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3877392&postcount=16), passed JWL, VIA, and ISO-9001:2000

ACS-e36
03-23-2005, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by bol

the wheels off the competition M3 will not fit. the offset for the rears is about 20mm and would not fit under the fender. unless you get a hold of 4 front wheels. that would deffinitly fit.

andy pm me

interlude
03-24-2005, 08:09 AM
The CSL Replicas look awesome.. I'm still trying to decide on what to get. But im leaning towards the CSL replicas

Clem
03-24-2005, 09:17 AM
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=224175&highlight=CSL

ZorroAMG
03-24-2005, 09:26 AM
Not all replicas are shit, in fact some end up being as strong as the branded ones and can be lighter. You have to find out where the wheels are made and by whom. I know some MB brand replicas (AMG, Brabus, RennTech) are made by the same company that makes the big-buck real ones at a fraction of the cost.

Do your homework or just call Rob @ tunerworks when you go there to buy them :D

interlude
03-24-2005, 11:23 AM
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=224175&highlight=CSL

Clem.. do you recommend 18's or 19's on an e46?

Still trying to decide if I should buy the 18's or wait for the 19's lol.. and I hate waiting

Kaos
03-24-2005, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
Not all replicas are shit, in fact some end up being as strong as the branded ones and can be lighter. You have to find out where the wheels are made and by whom. I know some MB brand replicas (AMG, Brabus, RennTech) are made by the same company that makes the big-buck real ones at a fraction of the cost.

Do your homework or just call Rob @ tunerworks when you go there to buy them :D

I actually did talk to Rob and he thought they were alright wheels but said my BBS wheels are better. Dont get me wrong, the CH's rock, just not in 19's.

Originally posted by interlude

Still trying to decide if I should buy the 18's or wait for the 19's lol.. and I hate waiting

I think 19's for a E46 & 18's for a E36

interlude
03-24-2005, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Kaos

I actually did talk to Rob and he thought they were alright wheels but said my BBS wheels are better. Dont get me wrong, the CH's rock, just not in 19's.

I think 19's for a E46 & 18's for a E36

Thats what i was thinking.. looks like I will have to wait till May to get my set.:banghead:

Clem
03-29-2005, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by interlude

IMHO it all depends on your driving style.

If you're the type to tear up city streets without a care in the world 18s are the way to go.

Granted if you're like me you can do it on 19s as well but you MUST be more aware of road conditions. (potholes etc...)

ANY rim will bend if impacted hard enough but a good wheel 18 or 19 will be able to hold up to even mild impacts.

For example I had 19" ACS Type 3 Racings that held up to potholes better than a friend's 18" Mille Miglia Evos.

Looks wise you can beat 19s. I used to have 18s which lasted for about 6 months till I switched over to 19s.

19s granted will affect your acceleration a bit due to the rotational mass of the larger wheel.

For me personally I would go with the 19s but again it all depends on your driving style.

I was thinking of getting a set of 18s if I ever decided to track my car but if Kaos is willing to let his 19s go for a good price....... well that's a different story ;)

Kaos
03-29-2005, 11:09 AM

I was thinking of getting a set of 18s if I ever decided to track my car but if Kaos is willing to let his 19s go for a good price....... well that's a different story ;)

We'll talk.
Whats a good price for you? :devil:

Originally posted by Willis
^ Nice!

CSL Replicas (http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3877392&postcount=16), passed JWL, VIA, and ISO-9001:2000

This kinda confuses me, what is the grades (whatever "VIA JWL & ISO-9001:2000" are) is it exactly passing?
Strength?

Willis
03-29-2005, 02:23 PM

This kinda confuses me, what is the grades (whatever "VIA JWL & ISO-9001:2000" are) is it exactly passing?
Strength?

From my understanding thus far,

It is an international standard for quality managment systems. A company's manufacturing and other processes are checked and certified, assuring the consumer a quality product. If a company is ISO certified, then its work practices have been audited to ensure everything is up to par = quality goods and services. I am assuming VIA and JWL are similar quality certifications.

Read this for more information about ISO9000 (http://www.angelfire.com/ult/willis/WhatIsISO9000.pdf)

EDIT: JWL and VIA explanation (http://www.enkei.co.jp/en/t_know_02.html)

Clem
03-29-2005, 02:44 PM

We'll talk.
Whats a good price for you? :devil:

Well lets just say I can get them new for dealer's cost from a couple of places and lets work from there ;)

p.s. before anyone asks I can get them stuff for a good deal but not at my cost since it is part of a sponsorship deal.

interlude
03-29-2005, 05:14 PM
im gonna wait till May when the 19's come out. I contacted Velocity, they are selling it for a pretty good rate, just scared Ill get raped at the borders for taxes.

DC328is
03-30-2005, 10:46 PM
hey kaos, its Darren, we've met at tunerworks b4. Chris C has some replicas from velocity motoring, the finish is pretty dam good for a replica and 18 inch weighs around 24 lbs, and 24.5 lbs in the rear for staggered fitment. offset is +40 mm. the quality looks really good. its a lot cheaper than BBS CH's too. see if thats any help.

Chrisw
04-01-2005, 02:48 PM
:eek: I cant believe your having a poll for this. Your thinking of taking a REPLICA Wheel over a BBS? Replica's are not a bad thing, but they are for people that cant AFFORD BBS's.

Kaos
04-01-2005, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Chrisw
:eek: I cant believe your having a poll for this. Your thinking of taking a REPLICA Wheel over a BBS? Replica's are not a bad thing, but they are for people that cant AFFORD BBS's.

Well having the name "BBS" is always worth it but Im not happy with the size of 19 inches. They dont look right on a E36 and tires are costing me an arm & my left nut.
If BBS made a forged 18 inch wheel, I would definately buy it.
I didnt know what I was thinking about buying these wheels in the first place. I guess when I had the money and getting them for the price I did, made me want to get it.

I love the style of the CSL wheel, I always loved the way it looked. I might just sell the BBS's and just buy some rubber for my 17's. :nut:

ACS-e36
04-01-2005, 09:15 PM
just trade up the 19s for staggered BBS 18s!
staggered is the only way to go

im with ChrisW on this

Clem
04-03-2005, 10:42 PM

If BBS made a forged 18 inch wheel, I would definately buy it.
I didnt know what I was thinking about buying these wheels in the first place. I guess when I had the money and getting them for the price I did, made me want to get it.

I love the style of the CSL wheel, I always loved the way it looked. I might just sell the BBS's and just buy some rubber for my 17's. :nut:

BBS makes a forged RC which looks similar to the CSL

M_Power
04-04-2005, 07:46 PM
http://armanii.c.crosslink.net/bmwpics/bbs_rc_a.jpg

RC is a gorgeous wheel. I dont know if you could get the bent offset look that the real CSL has on the rear tho.

Clem
04-05-2005, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by M_Power
[IMG] I dont know if you could get the bent offset look that the real CSL has on the rear tho.

That's only on a staggered set up (wider rear wheel) CHs are the same way,

cmsun
04-06-2005, 12:39 AM
I have seen a yellow E36 M3 with BBS RC and the rear wheels had a bent offset look that the real CSL has. I think thet were called the RCJ but I am not 100% sure

maxboost_R
04-08-2005, 08:46 PM
We got a set of csl wheels at the dealership hook u up for cheap haha

Kaos
04-08-2005, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by maxboost_R
We got a set of csl wheels at the dealership hook u up for cheap haha

3 g's isnt cheap :eek:
and they're staggered hardcore :thumbsdow

the Breyton Spirits are looking hot

http://www.customwheelsdirect.com/Breyton/SpiritSm.jpg

ACS-e36
04-08-2005, 11:27 PM
the spirits look like e39 M5 style

Kaos
04-08-2005, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by ACS-e36
the spirits look like e39 M5 style

They do but they look hot.
I love the thin spokes, at least these wheels are worth it.
Im considering these wheels now.

maxboost_R
04-09-2005, 09:00 PM

3 g's isnt cheap :eek:
and they're staggered hardcore :thumbsdow

the Breyton Spirits are looking hot

http://www.customwheelsdirect.com/Breyton/SpiritSm.jpg

I'll get them for you for 2999.99 haha, you need a staggered set of wheels though